Winter Vehicle for NOS

NOS2006

Well today I got to thinking... I'm going to buy some steelies and winter/all season tires for the Cobalt come winter time. I'll guess that'll easily be $800-1200, right? Hmmm... This is the new thought:

What if I were to store the Cobalt during the coldest months of Michigan? What if, instead of buying steelies and all that, I keep the Cobalt in the garage and buy myself a cheap fixer upper? Beyond that, what if I find a good running vehicle (domestic SUV or truck preferably) for under $1000 (I'm thinking closer to $500-800), fix it, and re-sell it when I'm done for possibly more than what I bought it for? How will I do that? Read on...

• I know how to restore paint to good condition.
  • I know how to do body work.
  • I know how to restore painted wheels.
  • I know of a good/cheap junk yard nearby.
  • I know how to do almost anything mechanical on the vehicles (minus transmissions and rear-end work).
  • I have the ability to clean up and fix anything wrong on the vehicle.
  • I have many sources to ask for help if I had a question or needed help.
This would solve my need for the Cobalt. I wouldn't risk hurting the car and I wouldn't put it through a(nother) $h!ty Michigan winter. Meanwhile, I would be able to fix up the other vehicle I had bought with my dad (I haven't told him my idea yet, but he's always happy to work on a car with me) at night and on the weekend.

What do you guys think? Stupid idea or go for it? Any suggestions? Anything to look out for? I'm going to start checking Craig's List when winter comes closer, possibly in the next month or two while I'm at school in Flint because I know a lot of guys in Flint would be willing to help me work on a vehicle while at school to.

I'd love an older late 80s, early 90s GMC/Chevy SUV like a K-Blazer or something...

Example of good deals on craigslist:

'90 Jeep Cherokee in great condition w/ a few small fixes needed: $600

'91 Blazer, could probably talk him down a hundred: $700

'90 S-10 Blazer, de-rice and talk down a bit: $900

'88 Silverado 1500 + '91 Sierra 2500 + three 350s: $500

Edited by NOS2006

I would stay away from the S-10's. Between tie rod ends, ball joints, pitman arms, CV shafts, hubs, ABS sensors, 4WD switches, sector shafts, door hinges, rear main seals, dash lights and vacuum problems, I've seen and had to replace way too much stuff on those trucks.

Haha, I swear you found my parent's reciepts from ours. :P

Yes, I would stay away from S-10s. I'd try to find a Jeep Cherokee, personally. Perhaps a Ford Bronco or the aforementioned K Blazers. I'd also looking into an 87 or older Chevy pickup.

A set of decent tires and wheels should only cost a couple hundred bucks, I'm thinkin junk yard or ebay specials.

I recently did a similar thing in that I was driving the Avalanche 45 min. each way to work. I picked up a '86 Fiero SE for $1000, put an extra $500 into it and now have a decent looking, good driving car. Granted, a Fiero wouldn't be anybody's first choice for a winter vehicle.

Edited by BuddyP

Soo far:

DEFINITELY:

-K Blazer

-Silverado/Sierra

-Jeep Cherokee/GC

MAYBE:

-Bronco

DON'T TOUCH:

-S10

Are all early Blazers S10s? I see a lot of listings that say S10 Blazer. Should I stay away from Blazers then?

Edited by NOS2006

S-10 pickup: '82

S-10 Blazer - '83

What about the old Cavalier you guys have?

Oh, no no no. That's beyond the amount of work I want to do. It'll need new door panels because of major rusting, new radiator, new battery, and a major interior overhaul...

K-5 Blazer, K1500 Blazer ('89-'91), Jimmy (usually with the Sierra nameplates on it to denote upgraded trim level), V1500 Jimmy ('89-'91) are defintiely good vehicles to have and fix up because teenagers love to have them as their first vehicle (from my personal experiences & observations). Just be careful, as they tend to rust out in many places and the tailgates can be a *itch to work on (all had power rear windows, if I'm not mistaken).

'80s/'90s Sierra and Silverado full-size pickups are another good choice, as one in good shape for resale will be bought quickly by someone shopping for such a vehicle.

Well I told my dad what I hope to do, and as always, he didn't really say anything haha. However, later on I was telling him that if I didn't have a co-op, I'd probably do this for three months while not in school. To that he replied, "I'd love to do that as a side job, there's some good money to be made, but I just don't have that kind of time."

Oh, and he got excited about the one link I posted up there^^^ (2 trucks, 3 350s, $500) and when I called the guy already sold the trucks (though he still has the engines if anybody's interested...)

All in all, this just might happen! *crosses fingers*

Hmm, my parents found a '90 Sierra this morning for $1100 OBO. My dad said it's in good condition; the guy replaced all the brakes and lines himself and just bought a bigger truck so he wants to get rid of this. My dad says it needs new "cab corners" (not quite sure what that is) and a new radio. The only problem I see is that it's a V6. How difficult would it be to swap in a 350?

I would forget about the swap - too expensive to do right and legalities could be an issue.

In fact, I'd pass on this one.

Alright, I was thinking the same. I rather have a 4x4 with 350 for towing and stuff. It looks better when someone wants to buy it off of me... :AH-HA_wink: Edited by NOS2006

If you weren't firm on a truck: 1500$

http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/411491649.html

Or a B-Body

1994 LT1 Roadmaster Sedan for 1800 OBO:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/385167711.html

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

hahaha You should've kept the Yukon, ass hat! That thing was sweet!

Yeah, it was a sweet ride. Gas mileage sucked tho, I could see the gas gauge going down while driving. It had to move on to a better place, Mightymouse's garage!

Let me know if you see any deals over in my neck of the woods.

Love that Roadmaster vonVEZ, someone LOVES tire-shine. :P

WMJ: That Metro is still twice the car the Prius ever was.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Hell, 123K Miles on a B-Body is nothing! 1700 and a new rear quarter trim piece and it'll run for another 11 years without even flinching... NOBODY has built a car that durable since 1996.

WMJ: That Metro is still twice the car the Prius ever was.

That would make the Roadmaster what? like 25'000x the car?

I'm currently enamored with a 140K mile, early '80s Mercedes Benz 300D.

$1500 O.B.O. If Julie's Taurus was a Cat it would be on its 14th life.