MB F700 concept

carstar

[post="http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/cce?Category=GALLERY&DateRange=20061101-20071201&Range=1&objectclass=1&Module=1&Class=11&photofoldermultisearch=2007_frankfurt,mercedes,f700&photofoldermultisearchand=1&Execute=1&Count=1"]source: autoweek[/post]

Mercedes-Benz F700

Dubbed the F700, the large luxury sedan plots a direct path to the next-generation S-Class due in 2012, with state-of-the-art engine and suspension technology, as well as an advanced avatar-based controller system and radical new styling developed by the German automaker’s U.S.-based design studio in California.

WTF is with the front doors!? :puke:

20% poorly drawn Japanime circa 1994

30% my sketch books full of cars from High Shcool Study Hall (1993-7)

50% Mitsubishi Eclipse

Puke after gagging me with a spoon.

I dont' care if it is principally for the technology, there is such a thing as overkill.

As an eye catching design exercise to showcase the company's new technology, it succeeds. This thing sure does attract attention (good or bad).

As a signal of future design direction for Mercedes, it fails. I hope this thing remains a design exercise and nothing more; it looks like they left an S-Class sedan in the sun too long.

I like it for the fact that Mercedes has truly and obviously given their designers and engineers the freedom to dream very well beyond production to a concept that is almost out of this world! It suceeds be it good or bad, but I'm sure a lot of this concept will be far more tastefully engineered into the final production piece. I actually like it a lot, and in the process they've earned a lot more of my respect!

• 3 weeks later...

OMG: it has fender skirts !!! Shades of 1975 (except that they're plexiglas !)

> FAR too radical for a production mercedes.

> The profile is absolutely, intolerably hideous.

> How is 238 hp (+20 with electric assist) "competitive" in a car that weighs 4500 lbs??? (Not to mention going from 382 hp to 238 ??)

> Is MPG really important to those paying nearly $90K?

> Is something amiss with the current s-class that M-B is showing a finished replacement not due out for 4 years? Backlash over the mazda fenders??