08 Chargers

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical excuse to bash the Charger instead of seeing it as appealing to a different crowd. Just because it's styling stands out does not mean it appeals solely to "rednecks" nor is it in any way like the craptastic cladded FWD Pontiacs...like Azteks.

Hahaha

YA THINK?

:AH-HA_wink:

The guy is comparing his plastic clad Aztec to a performance sedan such as the SRT8s. LOL

This forum is a little bit more than just "silly" at times.

:deadhorse:

I love the G8, and I still love the Charger.

Both vehicles suit each brand perfectly. The Charger is brash, brutish, and has an air of "mischievous" . The G8 is sophisticated, and refined... but it just begs for you to mash the accelerator.

I'd love a 'HEMI Orange' Daytona.

It's a shame that a Charger R/T costs $37,895 in my parts, though. <_<

my gosh they kind of do look alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wheels and all

but damn if there was ever a bumblebee edition of the aztek.......

the cooler between the front seats for the bottles of miller high life is the deciding factor.

charger has a tent package, right? (to cover the whole car so we don't have to see it?)

Edited by regfootball

I see what Reg is saying about the styling. The Charger is more aggressive, yet more boy-racerish like old Pontiacs. The G8 is much sleeker and more upscale looking, like a BMW for the most part. Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't say the Charger is "redneck," but I would certainly say the G8 would fit in better when placed along side a 5er, A6, E-Class, etc. The Charger would look more at home with the "tuner" crowd than the G8, on the other side of things.

my gosh they kind of do look alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wheels and all

but damn if there was ever a bumblebee edition of the aztek.......

the cooler between the front seats for the bottles of miller high life is the deciding factor.

charger has a tent package, right? (to cover the whole car so we don't have to see it?)

I hope you're being sarcastic and really aren't that blind.

I see what Reg is saying about the styling. The Charger is more aggressive, yet more boy-racerish like old Pontiacs. The G8 is much sleeker and more upscale looking, like a BMW for the most part. Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't say the Charger is "redneck," but I would certainly say the G8 would fit in better when placed along side a 5er, A6, E-Class, etc. The Charger would look more at home with the "tuner" crowd than the G8, on the other side of things.

Yes but while the G8 sort of blends into the crowd, the Charger stands out and makes no apologies for it...kind of like that STS commercial with German sedans moving around to classical music and then the silver STS crashing the party.

I love both anyway :P

Yes but while the G8 sort of blends into the crowd, the Charger stands out and makes no apologies for it...kind of like that STS commercial with German sedans moving around to classical music and then the silver STS crashing the party.

I love both anyway :P

The G8 blending into the 5er crowd is definitely a good thing, because that means it's blending into a crowd of vehicles that cost twice as much... and those vehicles do not blend in with the rest of the vehicles on the road. The Charger does not blend in to that crowd, nor does it try to. The Charger is the anti-Camcord in the sense that it is very aggressive... the G8 is the anti-Camcord in the sense that it's very sleek and looks like it costs much more than it does.

I hope you're being sarcastic and really aren't that blind.

Hahahaha

How can you post what so many are thinking so accurately?

LOL

I think reg is gonna be in the next Jim Carey movie, "Dumb and blind & Dumber and blinder".....

:AH-HA_wink:

So it's the 22-24" wheels and big spoiler you like? The car looks very similar to a 10 year old BMW from the side, with a pair of Dodge Avenger taillights- it's not bad looking. Not extremely unique, but I like the profile. It sure looks like a BMW though.

Edited by CMG

See, reg? In the picture you posteded, take off the wheels and the ridiculous wing and be lulled into a deeeeep sleeeeep... The Charger's character is in its sheetmetal, not in the add-ons.

i happen to think the base commodore / calais is a very nice clean design as well.

Posted Image

if we're gonna talk add on's, i have seen plenty of chargers with tacky spoilers, bling wheels, and all sorts of godawful decals, paint stripes, lettering, and the like. crap like the daytona edition, bumblebee, all that garbage. It's right up there with the gold chains and firechickens and the general lee. I feel a mullet on the back of my head and the sleeves coming off my shirt just looking at one.

That's not to say its a wrong kind of look. Yes, the charger is aggressively shaped. But I cannot say its well done. At least not for my taste buds. It has a hunched over flabby fat chunky look that really is not popular. I don't like the fender flaring, the greenhouse, or general proportions or stance of the car. There is no interesting detailing. There is no flow or sleekness front to back. It's kind of like a really fat woman out jogging in a spandex suit two sizes too small or something. I could try to be nice and say its a nice modern day interpretation of the chunky old musclecars, but i can't even say that because the old musclecars were both sleek and brash at the same time. This charger simply does not pull off the same look.

The G8 / calais / commodore might only be missing some stance and broad shoulderedness, but the proportioning is very sweet, its flows well from front to back, and is taut and clean. It looks classy and aggressive at the same time, just not butch.

I am not opposed to a car being brash, and the charger is indeed brash, but the way it goes about it I think could be a lot more well done.

If you are a charger fan, at least you can celebrate its polarizing look. And that might be enough for some. I guess I could say that about my aztek too, since it looks a lot like that charger in some ways.

Edited by regfootball

They're different cars, nothing says one or the other has to suck, different strokes for different folks.

I agree with Fog & DF, the Charger looks like it's going to a knife-fight, the Pontiac is more of a

white-collar muscle car.

Reg: I despise that kind of redneck analogy, I think guys who keep their balls in their wife's purse

and therefore drive a Camry or Taurus are the people who perpetuate it... :P

i happen to think the base commodore / calais is a very nice clean design as well.

Posted Image

if we're gonna talk add on's, i have seen plenty of chargers with tacky spoilers, bling wheels, and all sorts of godawful decals, paint stripes, lettering, and the like. crap like the daytona edition, bumblebee, all that garbage. It's right up there with the gold chains and firechickens and the general lee. I feel a mullet on the back of my head and the sleeves coming off my shirt just looking at one.

That's not to say its a wrong kind of look. Yes, the charger is aggressively shaped. But I cannot say its well done. At least not for my taste buds. It has a hunched over flabby fat chunky look that really is not popular. I don't like the fender flaring, the greenhouse, or general proportions or stance of the car. There is no interesting detailing. There is no flow or sleekness front to back. It's kind of like a really fat woman out jogging in a spandex suit two sizes too small or something. I could try to be nice and say its a nice modern day interpretation of the chunky old musclecars, but i can't even say that because the old musclecars were both sleek and brash at the same time. This charger simply does not pull off the same look.

The G8 / calais / commodore might only be missing some stance and broad shoulderedness, but the proportioning is very sweet, its flows well from front to back, and is taut and clean. It looks classy and aggressive at the same time, just not butch.

I am not opposed to a car being brash, and the charger is indeed brash, but the way it goes about it I think could be a lot more well done.

If you are a charger fan, at least you can celebrate its polarizing look. And that might be enough for some. I guess I could say that about my aztek too, since it looks a lot like that charger in some ways.

I completely agree. The Pontiac might not be as aggressive, but it looks so much more expensive.

I disagree about the design of the G8. I don't think there's anything wrong with the stealthy look of it. I don't care to have a huge wing on the. I don't think its slab sided at all. I like the fender flares over the wheels. It gives the car a well integrated aggressive look. I don't think the Pontiac front end is tacked on. The new grille/fascia look well integrated into the design. It would be tacked on if the twin port grille fit into the same section as the Commodore grille fits. I do wish there was more differentiation in the taillamps and rear fascia though.

Now here's an exciting Pontiac, nothing flat about this car at all.

Posted Image

That my friend is just another ugly brick on wheels, You can even see the chevy version in it.

That my friend is just another ugly brick on wheels, You can even see the chevy version in it.

Exactly. Pontiacs American designers have been striking out lately, well, from the looks of it, it goes back 30 years. That is why I trust Holden with designing new Pontiacs. Torana, G8, GTO, Chinese Buicks > G6, G5, Grand Prix, Boneville, and pretty much any other Pontiac in the past 30 years.

One thing I appreciate more with the G8 is how it has tight proportions. It's not bulky. Nothing is bigger just to be bigger. There's no excess. Everything is tight and chiseled. It's stealthy, as I said. I can completely appreciate the Charger's broad stance, but the G8 is more my style. The same goes for the 300, except its also quite ugly.

Shall we compare a mini-G8 and a mini-Charger? :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Torana looks much better than the overly styled Avenger. Similarly, the G8 is much cleaner and the Charger is more highly styled. Certainly the Charger is better looking than the Avenger, but it's a similar comparison.

One thing I appreciate more with the G8 is how it has tight proportions. It's not bulky. Nothing is bigger just to be bigger. There's no excess. Everything is tight and chiseled. It's stealthy, as I said. I can completely appreciate the Charger's broad stance, but the G8 is more my style. The same goes for the 300, except its also quite ugly.

lotsa wisdom there.

torana would absolutely kill so many sedans (mostly furrin) masquerading as performance cars these days.

Edited by regfootball

Now if we're talking Torana vs. Avenger, well Pontiac would totally kick ass!!!

The Avneger is awkward and a silly caricature of the Charger with ubber overhang.

Besides being vastly superior due to its RWD/RWB-AWD the Torana is sexy as hell.

I guess I could say that about my aztek too, since it looks a lot like that charger in some ways.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reg? Are you drunk when you post?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, I really hope by the time our Alpha Pontiac hits the road it will not be another Aussie rebadge. If GM management really thinks Pontiac does not deserve its own sheetmetal... then maybe the "tick tock" man is right... and I hate to think that about Pontiac, a brand that has meant so much to me, personally.

Oh man, I really hope by the time our Alpha Pontiac hits the road it will not be another Aussie rebadge. If GM management really thinks Pontiac does not deserve its own sheetmetal... then maybe the "tick tock" man is right... and I hate to think that about Pontiac, a brand that has meant so much to me, personally.

Do you need some more examples of Pontiac designed sheetmetal? I can google a few Azteks, and G6 GXPs if you'd like.

See, all of the LX vehicles blend in here, because there are so many of them. :huh:

Shall we compare a mini-G8 and a mini-Charger? :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Torana looks much better than the overly styled Avenger. Similarly, the G8 is much cleaner and the Charger is more highly styled. Certainly the Charger is better looking than the Avenger, but it's a similar comparison.

We're comparing a concept to a production model. Yes it has better proportions but it's not an apples to apples comparison...something many of you seem to forget to do.

See, all of the LX vehicles blend in here, because there are so many of them. :huh:

Will you ever mistake an LX for another car? I don't think so.

We're comparing a concept to a production model. Yes it has better proportions but it's not an apples to apples comparison...something many of you seem to forget to do.

Will you ever mistake an LX for another car? I don't think so.

What is not production-like about the Torana? There's nothing about it that you can say "that would never make it to production."

And if you want to compare concepts, well:

Posted Image

You could mistake a Charger for an Avenger pretty easily, I think, depending on the viewing angle.

What is not production-like about the Torana? There's nothing about it that you can say "that would never make it to production."

And if you want to compare concepts, well:

Posted Image

You could mistake a Charger for an Avenger pretty easily, I think, depending on the viewing angle.

All the "concept" was the Avenger with a ground effects kit and 19 inch wheels. While the Torana looks plenty production ready, it isn't currently in production now is it? Hence the Apples to Oranges comparison.

Sure, I could mistake the Avenger for a Charger...if I were blind perhaps...

You are purposely posting unfortunate examples to try to own me and it ain't gonna work. If you guys support the fact that with the G8, GM is removing all recognizable distinctiveness from Pontiac design and replacing recognizable distinctiveness with generic invisibility, that's up to you. It is killing Pontiac instead of nurturing it. Look how many brands the rebadged Holdens are selling under... proof that the design has no brand-specific character. It is so generic and featureless, GM feels they can slide it in anywhere. And for them to slide it into Pontiac, of all brands with such a history of distinctiveness, with no lube like that, really hurts.