Buick Lucerne quieter than Lexus ES 330

wildcat

An interesting new test has shown that the interior of the Buick Lucerne ^_^ is quieter than the Lexus ES 330. Here is a direct link to the story, written by Anita Lienert. Since the test was between a Buick and a Lexus, maybe GM still intends Buick to be a rival to Lexus.

And for those of you who doubt that portholes should only be used on a Buick (not the '07 Cadillac Escalade :angry: ), here is a link to a story from this past March by Ms. Lienert.

...here is a link to a story from this past March by Ms. Lienert.

I hesitated to click on it; it's late and I don't feel the need to get angry, but I did. Amazingly, she knew SO LITTLE about this subject she couldn't actually formulate yet another mind-numbingly stupid observation. Thankfully.

The Lucerne seems to be a solid effort from GM given what resources they had. Even though it's interior wasn't designed to look like a space-ship module and it doesn't have all the gizmos and doo-dads that are showcased on the Avalon, it's still a big change from Buicks that we've seen in recent years. It's attractive rather then dull and it's aimed right at keeping Buick's large sedans top of the sales charts. GM certainly did their homework on this one. I can only imagine what the next one will be like on the Chi platform. I think we should wait and see what the portholes look like on the new Escalade before we pass judgement. Sure, it goes against tradtion but if it adds a little style to the vehicle then I'm all for it.

I say we wait and see if the Escalade actually has portholes. Vents could mean something like BMW has on the M3.

Here is how the vents are described in a press release:

The vents, located at the top-rear corner of the fenders deliver a detailed appearance, with three sections set off by a chrome top bar and chrome surround trim.

But Cadillac has plenty of design language all its own, and is doing fine without them.  Can GM leave something for Buick?  They don't seem to have many (any?) good ideas for Buick.

[post="28024"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yesss!!!! Exactly! Why can't Buick have something to call it's own?! Let them have the Velite grill, and portholes atleast!

I'm waiting for someone to come on here and say "Of Course the Lucerne was quieter. They were talking to a GM engineer..." :rolleyes:

Regardless of all those who have nothing positive to say about the Buick Lucerne, Good Job GM. Congrats on showing that the "Quiet-Tuning" effort is paying off. B)

Isnt there a point where you want to hear what is going on outside?

[post="28159"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I don't believe it's a matter of silencing outside noise so much, I believe it's silencing elements of the car: tire noise, wind noise, engine noise.

You can still hear a car horn honk ^_^

The Lucerne will be quieter that is until the old 3800 is worked up into it's rpm band where it will make more noise than most Japanese V6's. But with most of the intended audience with this car, revving the engine will seldom if ever occur. GM had a golden opportunity to utilise there terrific 3.6 DOHC engine here but totally ignored the idea. Why they spent the money certifying this lower output, emissionized 3800 is mind boggling. Especially when it was just announced that this engine is going away soon. Must be trying to use up a huge stock pile of parts and engines in the Flint plant.

The Lucerne will be quieter that is until the old 3800 is worked up into it's rpm band where it will make more noise than most Japanese V6's

[post="28190"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You fail to acknowledge that the Lucerne also has more sound deadening technology than most Japanese cars. The media & the people on this board have taken the opportunity to criticize the 3800 even under normal driving conditions. I'm glad the test was on a CX. That guarantees it was performed with the 3800. I thought that would keep naysayers from take punches at the 3800’s roughness for once... however it still happens.

Now we'll have to wait for a real-world road test to see how it stacks up against its Japanese competition.

There's the classic disclaimer. :angry:

Re the subjects: This is great! GM's engineers NEED to be focusing on details such as these! Now if GM's marketing department could just convey the message <_<

There's a good reason not to dump the 3800 just yet. There is a loyal following, especially among Buick buyers for that engine. I think it was a smart idea for Buick to keep it around a little longer, though they should have given the option of either V6.

There's a good reason not to dump the 3800 just yet.  There is a loyal following, especially among Buick buyers for that engine.  I think it was a smart idea for Buick to keep it around a little longer, though they should have given the option of either V6.

[post="28723"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hmm... maybe the 3800 Standard on CX, 3.6 Standard on CXL/opt Northstar, and Northstar standard on CXS. Three engine choices--that would have been nice :)

The vents on the Escalade are going to be recantular shaped like on the Sixteen (I'm 99% sure ah-ha said the vents are shaped like the Sixteen concept).

For reference visit here:

http://www.autodeadline.com/detail?source=...366295&mime=JPG

I hope this calms everybody's fears. I don't think they will leave Buicks free of portholes, ever again.

The Lucerne will be quieter that is until the old 3800 is worked up into it's rpm band where it will make more noise than most Japanese V6's. But with most of the intended audience with this car, revving the engine will seldom if ever occur. GM had a golden opportunity to utilise there terrific 3.6 DOHC engine here but totally ignored the idea. Why they spent the money certifying this lower output, emissionized 3800 is mind boggling. Especially when it was just announced that this engine is going away soon. Must be trying to use up a huge stock pile of parts and engines in the Flint plant.

[post="28190"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No matter how much junk some people post about the 3800, it works. There's no lying about horsepower like the japs do, no cronic sludge issues like Toyota has, the dang thing works.

And yes the Lucerne is a derivative of the C/H body. complete with 4t65e transmission that runs forever. Is all this bad? Well it sure as heck isn't trendy.

Yep the 3800 is old but if somebody wanting a car to make thousands of miles without hassle asks me what to buy it is clearly at the top of the list. Can't say that about a Toyota V6.

No matter how much junk some people post about the 3800, it works. There's no lying about horsepower like the japs do, no cronic sludge issues like Toyota has, the dang thing works.

And yes the Lucerne is a derivative of the C/H body. complete with 4t65e transmission that runs forever. Is all this bad? Well it sure as heck isn't trendy.

Yep the 3800 is old but if somebody wanting a car to make thousands of miles without hassle asks me what to buy it is clearly at the top of the list. Can't say that about a Toyota V6.

Therein lies the problem...

Now that domestics are reliable (A lot of times more so than Imports) the bar has been moved to "trendy" and "techy" by those who run the game. You know; the game of who can destroy the domestics fastest.

• 3 weeks later...