Lutz denies Pontiac not getting Alpha platform

RJB

"When we read in Motor Trend that the Alpha platform would find its way beneath the bow tie instead of the next G6, we were a little disappointed. It didn't make sense that GM would forego the performance-oriented image of Pontiac that Blogger Bob promised us for the more family-friendly, high volume Chevy brand. If you can believe that Maximum Bob returns emails from fanatical Cheers and Gears message board posters (we definitely wouldn't put it past him), then we have nothing to worry about.

In the alleged email, the industry's most outspoken executive cut right to the chase to tell the wide-eyed emailer that Motor Trend's story was "totally untrue." Heck, maybe we'll get the best of both worlds and the General will make a Alpha-based performance Pontiac and a stylish, fun and affordable Chevrolet. We've been denied many of the best overseas platforms for too long, but nothing can make us forgive and forget faster than a couple of world-class RWD sedans that aren't the size of a freighter."

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/06/lutz-de...alpha-platform/

Edited by RJB

A post on the Blog

Some folks on C&G also seem to have predicted Pontiacs demise is right around the corner. I would see that as a very strong possibility given the protfolio has consisted of nothing more than rebadged Chevys and Holdens for years.

"Tick-tock" as they say.

Is it P-C-S in disguise? :lol:

Ahhh, You can believe any of the jerks posting on Chears and Gear they don't know a dang thing! :rolleyes:

Bob Lutz is the offical time keeper and and says there is more time that is good enough for me right now.

Saying Pontiac is going away is like saying were all going to die someday. If you say it vauge enough and long enough your going to be right at some point in the future 5-150 years from now! :scratchchin:

Low blow...

I thought that that emphatically describes us, when I read this. I laughed. I don't mind it. What's wrong with being a little obsessive? Passion is a fruit for life. What I'd like to know is how much the writer means this, was this a passive reference, or has he really checked into the conversations that go on here. I think that word is exactly us.

But maybe not you :AH-HA_wink:

I thought that that emphatically describes us, when I read this. I laughed. I don't mind it. What's wrong with being a little obsessive? Passion is a fruit for life. What I'd like to know is how much the writer means this, was this a passive reference, or has he really checked into the conversations that go on here. I think that word is exactly us.

But maybe not you :AH-HA_wink:

Agreed... a little CDO and passion is a good thing..

Perhaps Northie could clarify, but I understood he simply said the MT article was BS, not exactly a denial that Pontiac would not get one.

Well, he certainly didn't say "Pontiac is getting an Alpha-based vehicle," he simply said the article was totally untrue. I guess that doesn't confirm that Pontiac is getting one, just that Chevy is not. The article could be untrue in many ways, I suppose. I'm sort of surprised this got all 'round the car net.

Well, he certainly didn't say "Pontiac is getting an Alpha-based vehicle," he simply said the article was totally untrue. I guess that doesn't confirm that Pontiac is getting one, just that Chevy is not. The article could be untrue in many ways, I suppose. I'm sort of surprised this got all 'round the car net.

Chevy is not, or Chevy is not exclusively? Has the actual reply been posted somewhere and I missed it?

Chevy is not, or Chevy is not exclusively? Has the actual reply been posted somewhere and I missed it?

I emailed him about it (I am the one they are talking about in the autoblog posting) and basically said I was not happy to see that it was a Chevy and not a Pontiac, and his response was "Totally untrue, don't believe everything you read on the internet."

I emailed him about it (I am the one they are talking about in the autoblog posting) and basically said I was not happy to see that it was a Chevy and not a Pontiac, and his response was "Totally untrue, don't believe everything you read on the internet."

So essentially, we know... nothing. Nothing except that the MT article is inaccurate. Both brands could get the car, or just Pontiac. The only scenario that seems to be shot down is that of an exclusive chevy (aside from caddy, of course).

Well it they are not giving Chevy a Holden Ute as a El Camino because of too many models do you really think there is room for a small RWD sedan?

Unless some major changes at Chevy are coming I don't see a fit with their line up.

Edited by hyperv6

Makes sense. This isn't the first time, and won't be the last time Motor Trend has blown it.

They're a magazine, not God...

back in the day they reported the Corvette would be ME-AWD

and they also blew the covers off the 1966 Chevrolet Panther

but in the end we all know the name got changed to Camaro &

the car did not hit the streets until MY 1967.