New ? Camaro Spyshots!

enzl

Wow. I actually think I like this better than the concept. Even with more realistic size wheels and a slightly higher roofline, it still looks fantastic.

I love this car and speak with the fbodfather by e-mail quite often. I have my name on the list for two of these already. With that said, something in the Straightline posts made me uneasy - "a couple Mustangs as well, so GM obviously knows what market niche it needs to hit..." WRONG WRONG! WRONG!!!! Leave the F-ing rustang in the dust and go head to head against the BMW 3-er, the Infiniti G35 - The car has been missing in the US market since 2002 - this is GM's chance to take the Camaro into another market and move upscale. Targeting the Mustang is NOT what we need. We need a car that can stand on it's own two feet and leave the gold chain image behind.

I love the Camaro, but this is what ticks me off...it was said that this Camaro was the most production ready concept in ALL of automotive history...now why is it taking so damn long to actually produce??

Who said that? When the Camaro concept was revealed they specifically said it looked far less production ready than the Challenger which debuted at the same show.

Who said that? When the Camaro concept was revealed they specifically said it looked far less production ready than the Challenger which debuted at the same show.

I really wish I had the link, but I know that when the Camaro came out, it was billed as the most production ready concept. I know that in these boards that doesn't amount to anything since that can be categorized as hearsay, but I know that was what it was designated. And even if it wasn't billed as that, I feel it has taken too long for the Camaro to go from concept to production. One of GM's problems is turn around like this and I think that most of us know and dislike that. I just wish their turn around were better...I'm sure we can at least agree on that.

I really wish I had the link, but I know that when the Camaro came out, it was billed as the most production ready concept. I know that in these boards that doesn't amount to anything since that can be categorized as hearsay, but I know that was what it was designated. And even if it wasn't billed as that, I feel it has taken too long for the Camaro to go from concept to production. One of GM's problems is turn around like this and I think that most of us know and dislike that. I just wish their turn around were better...I'm sure we can at least agree on that.

What is the total time frame? Wasn't the Concept first shown in Jan. 2006? And production /availability is still targeted to first quarter 2009, so essentially three years from concept to production. I find that a very reasonable time frame for a new car. You do realize that there is quite a bit of difference in a "one off" custom built concept and a true production car that will be mass produced? And then how would you react if it was rushed into production and the marketplace and ended up having some major issues requireing recall, etc.? I think you are being a little unrealistic about the time frame.

Clyde

What is the total time frame? Wasn't the Concept first shown in Jan. 2006? And production /availability is still targeted to first quarter 2009, so essentially three years from concept to production. I find that a very reasonable time frame for a new car. You do realize that there is quite a bit of difference in a "one off" custom built concept and a true production car that will be mass produced? And then how would you react if it was rushed into production and the marketplace and ended up having some major issues requireing recall, etc.? I think you are being a little unrealistic about the time frame.

Clyde

I think he's just stating that the concept shouldn't have been shown that far out....or that GM should have been closer to production. Or both.....ex. Challenger or how Honda shows lightly disguised products as concepts 1 year or less b4 intro...

The wait for the Camaro has seemed endless--and its given the competition a chance to respond & anticipate

First off I would love to see where it said it was production ready as in all I have read seen and the GM people I have spoken too none have ever said this.

The Concept was not approved for anything and was used as a tool to sell GM brass on letting them go forward.

Then Chevy had to wait for Zeta after several delays to have a RWD platform to use.

Chevy then had to budget it in as the trucks and Malibu were in the works and both will sell in numbers far higher than the Camaro. You have to have your priorities taken care of first to pay the bills.

Finally they need to have the plant available as the change over is still in the works.

When it comes to building a car Chevy wishes it was as easy to get it into production as many think. It take time money and availablity. I don't think your going to find one person at GM that wishes they did not have this car a few years ago.

Now if Zeta was around the new trucks were out as was the Malibu the Camaro may havbe been sooner. But that is history now and it will all work out in the end anyway.

The ones who should be worried are the Challenger team at Dodge. The Challenger had better be awfully damn good when it arrives next year (and I don't mean styling - that's the easiest part of these cars), or Chrysler's gonna be in trouble.

By the time the Camaro finally arrives, "regular" Challengers (non-SRT, that is) should also be available - it's gonna make it hard to choose if they're both good. Right now, I like the Challenger a little more for its purity of design, but the Camaro may end up being more well-rounded if GM's done their homework on the chassis.