Would you drive cars made in North Korea?

Bravada of GMI have posted about the commercial from North Korea about the car called 'Pyongwha Whiparam'(Pyongwha means Peace in Korean, and Whiparam means Whistle in Korean). It is actually an old Fiat Palio which surely seems that way. In the commercial, they are claiming that they developped and built locally, but you will see what I mean. Kinda brings back memories of how Hyundais and Kias first started in the early 70's before they could make their own models(Pony(Hyundai's very first model of 1974 I think), Kia Brisa and stuff). Just when you thought you had enough about the cheap Chinese cars whom are readying to invade US....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmhTKDqrEDo

I couldn't help but laugh as I watch this little clip. Of how can they steal other nation's car and claim it as their own, and the music and all, are so weird that I just couldn't help it but laugh.

103HP 4CYL also sounds about right for a Fiat. Gets sold in North Korea in equilant to $5,000 US Dollars.

Enjoy this little clip. Just wanted to share.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

that pioneer radio is like 10 years old. didn't watch it all.

a car from there would have to be substantially better than what we had at what ever price range it was offered for. a car that is "worth" 30K, being sold at 20, maybe even 15K. some would sell if it had a warrante and sold for 5K (granted it had good safety marks)

Not in a million years.....

Hyundai's and Kia's still has a looong way to go to be as good as most of their competitors. As long as there are people who still have the conceptions like 'Well, it's still a Hyundai', 'Hyundai's are piece of crap', 'Hyundai's and Kia's are just a cheap junks', 'they are no more than a cheap alternatives to the big boys', they will never succeed. I don't think they are capable yet to produce the cars that will change that perception. At least not yet. It took Japanese what, 20 years to get it right to put them in their place now, Hyundai's and Kia's will have to work double in order to come close. Sure, they are getting better, but I don't think it's enough. They should work harder.

To tell you the truth, I am not a fan of neither Hyundai nor Kia, and I am Korean myself, that's saying a lot. Most Korean people avoid Korean cars since they know they suck. So, unless they make some GREAT products that lasts that gives you back bunch of money back when you were to re-sell it like the Japanese do, I don't think they will be considered as one of the players. I still think Hyundai's and Kia's are the third world products and I don't think they are even close to any of the products that US, Canada, or Japan makes, not to mention European, which will be pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for them to get as close to. Well, for now. They are still not as good to be considerred a decent cars. They still have a lot to catch up.

As for the North Korean car, I think this is a stolen car from Italy, and I don't think they have the technology nor ability to produce the cars of their own, so this can be just considerred as an eye-candy to laugh at. No one in their right mind will see them as a threat, and no-one in their right mind will buy these ripped-off junk even if they export it, since you can get the original for however much higher the price is which will be far better in workmanship and quality.

Have you driven a new Hyundai? The Accent is head and shoulders ahead of the Aveo and the Elantra is every bit as good as the Cobalt. Hyundai does small cars right. Its when they get into the bigger ones (Sonata, Azera) that they have problems. But they are changing perceptions. And like I said, they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

People likely had the same response about cars made in South Korea 30 years ago. Look where Hyundai and Kia are now, they're not at the top, but they're not going away anytime soon.

NK politics are a litte bit of a marketing stumbling block I would hope.

NK politics are a litte bit of a marketing stumbling block I would hope.

North Korean cars wont be available here until the political scene in NK undergoes a major overhaul, I was posting assuming the question was "If North Korean cars become available for sale in the United State, would you buy one?"