GM to widely incorporate Bluetooth by 2009

gmbluetooth.jpg

In a reader Q&A session at the GM FYI Blog, Phil Colley of GM Performance Parts responded to a question about GM's dearth of in-car Bluetooth offerings, saying that the General will soon undertake the "broadest rollout of Bluetooth in the industry," with the technology appearing in 30 vehicles across the GM range by MY '09. So, if you want Bluetooth in your new Chevy, you still have to wait a little longer, but at least you know the General's going to get with the program soon enough.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

gmbluetooth.jpg

In a reader Q&A session at the GM FYI Blog, Phil Colley of GM Performance Parts responded to a question about GM's dearth of in-car Bluetooth offerings, saying that the General will soon undertake the "broadest rollout of Bluetooth in the industry," with the technology appearing in 30 vehicles across the GM range by MY '09. So, if you want Bluetooth in your new Chevy, you still have to wait a little longer, but at least you know the General's going to get with the program soon enough.

No there are still pushrods, and no Navs, and yeah no twin turbos, and no BMW.

What auto maker has bluetooth across 30 models in it's lineup?

In fact, what automaker has more than 10?

asking what automaker has it across 30 models isn't a fair question as many automaker's dont' have 30 models or even half the number of brands GM does. With GM's 8 brands, that would average out to under 4 models per brand which really isn't much.

doing a quick search Nissan, has it on 8 2007 models and ALL 2008 models. Its also on all on Infiniti's 2007 models. Honda also have that beat with 4 Honda's and 5 Acura models with Bluetooth. Even Ford, with its Sync application will have Bluetooth on 12 models across its 3 brands.

Frankly, GM dropped the ball on this one. I just hope they get BT on whatever model I buy in the next few years because to me, lack of BT is a dealbreaker. I may be able to live without other features/innovations, but being able to talk on my cell without holding it to my head or deal with headsets is important to me. And I don't want to go through a)the hassle of installing a system myself and b)having to potentially deal with a dealer who will try decline warranty because of it

asking what automaker has it across 30 models isn't a fair question as many automaker's dont' have 30 models or even half the number of brands GM does. With GM's 8 brands, that would average out to under 4 models per brand which really isn't much.

doing a quick search Nissan, has it on 8 2007 models and ALL 2008 models. Its also on all on Infiniti's 2007 models. Honda also have that beat with 4 Honda's and 5 Acura models with Bluetooth. Even Ford, with its Sync application will have Bluetooth on 12 models across its 3 brands.

Frankly, GM dropped the ball on this one. I just hope they get BT on whatever model I buy in the next few years because to me, lack of BT is a dealbreaker. I may be able to live without other features/innovations, but being able to talk on my cell without holding it to my head or deal with headsets is important to me. And I don't want to go through a)the hassle of installing a system myself and b)having to potentially deal with a dealer who will try decline warranty because of it

Ok, so GM will be 1 to 2 MYs behind.... not 5. Remember, it's 30 models by 2009MY... so that like a year away.

edit: Could this be coinciding with the "black tie" stereo replacement?

Good. Next up, available Navs across 90% of the lineup.

Strangely, they have almost all of the trucks/SUVs/CUVs covered (except the Colorado/Canyon and Express/Savana), as well as all Cadillacs, the Lucerne CXS (and just now the CXL), the Corvette, and the Grand Prix (but strangely not the G8). SAABs not included.

Considering how they have seemingly millions of models, even just to get them on the flagship cars of each brand would be a huge step in the right direction.

I have a feeling they're working on something though.

The next step is to find a consolidated, consistent system that incorporates all of a car's digital features, sort of like Ford's Sync. If GM could streamline those things along with OnStar capabilities, that would be great.

Also, I know there are a number of cars that have on-board hardrives that can store music and play them by the touch of a button, but do any have video file capabilities that can play on rear-seat screens?

The next step is to find a consolidated, consistent system that incorporates all of a car's digital features, sort of like Ford's Sync. If GM could streamline those things along with OnStar capabilities, that would be great.

Also, I know there are a number of cars that have on-board hardrives that can store music and play them by the touch of a button, but do any have video file capabilities that can play on rear-seat screens?

I don't know, but when some of those cars are Chrysler Sebrings, I think more about throwing up than I do about watching streaming video. :nono:

I'm betting the replacement for the blackties will be fairly big.

I don't think there's really a replacement for the black ties. Everything is going to be integrated into each vehicle, so while some components here and there may be shared, I doubt any two cars that aren't at least on the same platform will share radios. (I could see the Silverado/Sierra still sharing, stuff like that)