Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildcat

Lutz: new Buick LaCrosse a "mind-boggler"

74 posts in this topic

In a December 21, 2007 Forbes.com article by Jerry Flint, "Backseat Driver: The Road to More Market Share," Bob Lutz implies that the new Buick LaCrosse will be impressive, perhaps overwhelming. And is the LaCrosse, on GM's new Epsilon II architecture, coming sooner than we think?

According to the article, "Among the cars coming soon will be a Saturn Astra compact and the Pontiac G8 rear-wheel-drive sedan, both imports; then a new Buick LaCrosse sedan ("It's going to be a mind-boggler," says Lutz), the Chevy Traverse crossover SUV next fall, the Chevy Camaro in early 2009, and a new Chevy Cobalt compact." [ bold added by wildcat ]

To view Flint's entire piece with Lutz, click here.

They have my attention. I'm waiting patiently.

mind-boggler?

Will it be RWD?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower" ... Counting Crows ... 'A Long December'

It's on Epsilon II and it's an ES330 competitor.

no, no RWD

It's on Epsilon II and it's an ES330 competitor.

no, no RWD

Hmm...then it will be interesting to see what he defines as "mind boggling" then....

*sighs*

"No store bought gifts to open, but there'll be Christmas just the same" ... Kenny Rogers ... 'Kentucky Homemade Christmas'

Hopes of widespread RWD from GM have recently been dashed, I'm afraid, by our dumbass politicians in Washington, D.C. CAFE certainly sanitizes any enthusiasm I had for GM's future, and the industry in general.

I don't understand why, if the Lacross is more luxurious, more beautiful, better in every way than the ES330, it can't be "mind-boggling" if it is also FWD.... which is what the target market wants.....

truth is, buicks should have AWD optional. passat does, fusion does. FWD bias is ok for buick i think, but it really should have awd optional.

Hopes of widespread RWD from GM have recently been dashed, I'm afraid, by our dumbass politicians in Washington, D.C. CAFE certainly sanitizes any enthusiasm I had for GM's future, and the industry in general.

I certainly hope not... And I don't understand why anyone at GM would be in that frame of mind. RWD doee not automatically equal poor fuel economy.

I think we've just been conditioned to think that way over the years.

Oh well, no RWD = no GM car in my garage. I've done the FWD thing for long enough now.

I don't understand why, if the Lacross is more luxurious, more beautiful, better in every way than the ES330, it can't be "mind-boggling" if it is also FWD.... which is what the target market wants.....

EPII gets AWD

Yes yes on both accounts... and I think AWD optional will really give it an edge over competition. If the benchmark is the ES350, then AWD is an option the ES doesn't have.

I'm going to say this, and I haven't said it in a long time: I want real wood.

I know, I know, don't hold my breath since the Lucerne, Enclave, and even some Cadillacs don't have real wood.

I certainly hope not... And I don't understand why anyone at GM would be in that frame of mind. RWD doee not automatically equal poor fuel economy.

I think we've just been conditioned to think that way over the years.

Oh well, no RWD = no GM car in my garage. I've done the FWD thing for long enough now.

*nods*

Same here.

And, Oldsmoboi, I didn't say it couldn't be mind-boggling ... all I noted was that if it is FWD it will be interesting to see what IS considered mind-boggling....

"Nothing can take the place of being there" ... Marvin Gaye ... 'Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing'

I think Buick is the only place a large FWD sedan belongs in the GM lineup.

I think GM is in the process of changing that perception. $25k LeSabre days are over. :)

I think GM is in the process of changing that perception. $25k LeSabre days are over. :)

The pricing isn't the issue, it is the whole "soft-luxury" approach. That's all that large FWD cars are good for in my view.

The pricing isn't the issue, it is the whole "soft-luxury" approach. That's all that large FWD cars are good for in my view.

A large FWD Buick should replace the DTS' current position. It should not compete with Avalon.

However, Buick will not be getting a DTS replacement since the Lucerne will be going to Zeta. The LaCrosse will be moving to near-luxury territory (whether midsized or large... more than likely midsized.)

For the Avalon, Maxima, Accord market... A Chevrolet Large sedan would be the appropriate competitor. These are all premium mainstream/mass market sedans. Very appropriate for a flagship Chevrolet; Very unappropriate for a near luxury/mid-luxury brand like Buick.

A large FWD Buick should replace the DTS' current position. It should not compete with Avalon.

However, Buick will not be getting a DTS replacement since the Lucerne will be going to Zeta. The LaCrosse will be moving to near-luxury territory (whether midsized or large... more than likely midsized.)

For the Avalon, Maxima, Accord market... A Chevrolet Large sedan would be the appropriate competitor. These are all premium mainstream/mass market sedans. Very appropriate for a flagship Chevrolet; Very unappropriate for a near luxury/mid-luxury brand like Buick.

I don't see much hope of agreement on this, the notion that any FWD sedan could be a flagship for Chevy turns my stomach.

I don't see much hope of agreement on this, the notion that any FWD sedan could be a flagship for Chevy turns my stomach.

I guess it's best put like this: does the current Impala even updated and placed on a modern FWD platform really embody anything classic and sporty that Chevrolet has stood for? Gasoline issues aside, we need our cars to stand for something, and the current Malibu seems to emphasize practical and elegant sport.....a RWD luxury sedan above that for the masses would complement that.

I guess it's best put like this: does the current Impala even updated and placed on a modern FWD platform really embody anything classic and sporty that Chevrolet has stood for? Gasoline issues aside, we need our cars to stand for something, and the current Malibu seems to emphasize practical and elegant sport.....a RWD luxury sedan above that for the masses would complement that.

Precisely!

I certainly hope it lives up to the hype. It would be great for a domestic U.S. brand to offer a desirable, midsize, near luxury front wheel drive competitor to the Lexus ES and Acura TL. If the Enclave is any indication, then this car should be a looker.

I know I said this quite a few times before, but I'm going to say it again. I would love to see Buick get a compact front wheel drive sedan on a shortened Epsilon platform to seriously compete with the Acura TSX. It could share its platform (but no styling) with a Saab product. I know it's just wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be sweet.

I think Buick is the only place a large FWD sedan belongs in the GM lineup.

:yes:

Like it has been for the past 10 years? or like it is at almost all of Chevrolet's competitors? Different does not mean successful... but does mean expensive. Most of Chevrolet's competitors use the same platform to produce two unique vehicles to attract different type of buyers. You're looking for the Malibu and Impala to use different platforms for mainstream vehicles. A more sensible and focused FWD premium Impala would be appealing to a large market audience if executed well. It would probably sell at the same volume or greater since there is an established market.

I always felt that LeSabre's market in the 1990s belonged under Chevrolet. Chevrolet should have had the "best-selling" large sedan in America, not Buick. It's Chevrolet's job to take on Toyota, not Buick. It's Chevrolet's job to take on Ford, not Buick. It's Chevrolet's job to take on Hyundai, not Buick. Now Chevrolet can finally take care of its own market segments and quit requiring assistance from the other brands to pick up the slack.

As for LaCrosse's job, I believe the NG LaCrosse will remain an alternative to other vehicles in this price class but will not be marketed as a direct competitor to the Avalon, Taurus, or Azera. It will be targeting near-luxury vehicles and more image conscious buyers.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0