Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2QuickZ's

Buying a 2008 Saturn Vue

48 posts in this topic

I was going to wait until March/April time frame to buy a vehicle but I just couldn't pass up the great deal. This thing has a total of $3,000 in rebates on it but $1,500 of them are set to expire on 1/31/08 so I had to do it now. I'm not a huge SUV person but I need more rear seat room for my son and so I headed up to the dealership yesterday to give one a test drive. To my suprise, I liked it! It rode and drove nice and has pretty good acceleration. Since it has the same powertrain as my wife's Aura but is heavier, I expected it to feel a lot slower but it really doesn't feel much slower at all.

Here's what I got:

- XR FWD

- Ruby Red exterior

- Premium trim (Tan Leather)

- Preferred (it's no cost on XR's right now)

- Convenience Package

- Chrome skid plates (didn't want it, got stuck with it)

It is going to be a bit of an adjustment going from a Saab 9-2X that runs high 13's to an SUV that is a second and a half slower. I'm sure I'll get over it. If you know anybody looking for a fun, sporty, quick AWD car, I now have a low mileage 2005 Saab 9-2X (Subaru WRX wagon) for sale. :)

Edited by 2QuickZ's

Congratulations, 2Quick. How about a few photos down in the "member's rides" section?

I had every intention of test driving an Astra 3-door tonight after work. I got to the dealership, got out of the Sierra, looked at the car... chickened out, and left. Local dealer now has 2 Astra 3-doors, black and red.

Edited by ocnblu

I pick it up on Thursday. As soon as we get a decent weather day I will take some pictures of it and post it in the members rides section.

The MSRP was $26,750 and I will pay approx. $21,500 before tax, title and plate by the time I get GMS and the rebates. I just couldn't pass that deal up. The dealership had an "old invoice" unit (additional $1,000 off) that I could have had for under $20k!!! It was an XR FWD that only had heated seats.

Congratulations, 2Quick. How about a few photos down in the "member's rides" section?

I had every intention of test driving an Astra 3-door tonight after work. I got to the dealership, got out of the Sierra, looked at the car... chickened out, and left. Local dealer now has 2 Astra 3-doors, black and red.

I checked out and sat in an Astra 3 door while waiting for my sales guy to finish up with a different customer. It seemed like it would be an excellent choice for someone looking for a compact 2 door. The one I looked at had an 18" wheel/summer tire package that looked pretty sharp. You need to go test drive one and let us all know how it drives!

I pick it up on Thursday. As soon as we get a decent weather day I will take some pictures of it and post it in the members rides section.

The MSRP was $26,750 and I will pay approx. $21,500 before tax, title and plate by the time I get GMS and the rebates. I just couldn't pass that deal up. The dealership had an "old invoice" unit (additional $1,000 off) that I could have had for under $20k!!! It was an XR FWD that only had heated seats.

that is a RAGING bargain. yet the RAV4 you gotta pay so much more for so much less.....

that is a RAGING bargain. yet the RAV4 you gotta pay so much more for so much less.....

Certainly if you're buying your car by the pound. :)

That is a very good price!! My fiancee wants one real bad, but we have a wedding to plan/save for, so a new car is out of the question. She just wants to feel and be more safe than in her car, which sucks in the snow!! I'm even afraid to drive it unless we have a carload of people in it. The tires are a major factor of why it scares the bejesus out of me. I feel more confident in my own rwd truck, in the snow, in 2wd than in her car! Low profile tires, which are crappy goodyears on a Grand Am GT are never good for anyone.

Congrats! What kind of gas mileage have you gotten so far?

Congrats! What kind of gas mileage have you gotten so far?
0 mpg so far! I pick it up tomorrow! :AH-HA_wink:

Certainly if you're buying your car by the pound. :)
:lol: That's funny! :lol: I'm sure you are not the biggest fan, but you have to admit, that is a pretty damn good deal for what I'm getting. Edited by 2QuickZ's

at least the vue's rear hatch is solid and closes with a germanic thunk. the RAV's rear 'hatch' closes like a cheap screen door on a southern tin shack.

0 mpg so far! I pick it up tomorrow! :AH-HA_wink:

:lol: That's funny! :lol: I'm sure you are not the biggest fan, but you have to admit, that is a pretty damn good deal for what I'm getting.

I'm not, however, my wife has insisted that the new Vue is 'on the list.' I'm impressed by the obvious improvement--I'm a little sad that the thing is such a tank.

Fantastic deal, regardless.

(I'm actually a closet Saturn fan. Always loved the idea of Saturn, but have been a little disappointed by the execution. The Aura, Vue, Astra & Outlook are all positive steps in the right direction.)

I'm not, however, my wife has insisted that the new Vue is 'on the list.' I'm impressed by the obvious improvement--I'm a little sad that the thing is such a tank.

Fantastic deal, regardless.

(I'm actually a closet Saturn fan. Always loved the idea of Saturn, but have been a little disappointed by the execution. The Aura, Vue, Astra & Outlook are all positive steps in the right direction.)

It is definitely over weight. It weighs a minimum of 300 lbs more than it should and probably more like 500 lbs more. GM continues to fail when it comes to weight control. It does feel very solid, though, which can't be said for most of its lightweight competitors.

I only have 70 miles on it so far but I like it!

It is definitely over weight. It weighs a minimum of 300 lbs more than it should and probably more like 500 lbs more. GM continues to fail when it comes to weight control. It does feel very solid, though, which can't be said for most of its lightweight competitors.

I only have 70 miles on it so far but I like it!

All that matters is that you like it.

I'm currently driving a company car: 04 Jeep Liberty Sport RWD V6, 40K.

I'd kill for a Vue to drive daily at this point.

Congrats on the new Saturn. There is no Saturn dealer here in Montana, so I bought my sons Sky and my future daughter in law bought her Aura at the nearest retailer 8 hours away in Boise, ID. You cant' say we don't love our Saturns.

All that matters is that you like it.

I'm currently driving a company car: 04 Jeep Liberty Sport RWD V6, 40K.

I'd kill for a Vue to drive daily at this point.

So far, so good. I've only had it for a couple of days so time will tell. As I said before, I'm not really a fan of SUV's as a whole. I'd prefer a good sport wagon but the Vue seemed like a nice compromise.

Congrats on the new Saturn. There is no Saturn dealer here in Montana, so I bought my sons Sky and my future daughter in law bought her Aura at the nearest retailer 8 hours away in Boise, ID. You cant' say we don't love our Saturns.

Now that is hardcore dedication! The sad part is that the closest retailer to you is 8 hours away and I have 4 Saturn dealers within a 20 minute drive from my house.

Edited by 2QuickZ's

but your pontiac dealer can service the sky and the chevy dealer can service the aura no doubt.

Congrats on the new Saturn. Be sure to post pictures when you get the car!

but your pontiac dealer can service the sky and the chevy dealer can service the aura no doubt.

Oil changes and such, yes. Anything else, such as a typical warranty repair, no.

That said...congrats on the Vue! They're porky little beasts, but as many have said, you can instantly tell where some of that weight has gone when you close a door or drive around. And right now, with the terrible sales, there's deals to be had that didn't tend to be a Saturn thing before.

When mom recently wanted something smaller, I was very close to recommending a new Vue XR FWD to her, especially since the local dealer had a few light optioned ones that could be had for around $22/23k. But, she wanted a sedan, and the Vue fuel mileage wouldn't probably have been high enough for the purposes of going smaller. I still really like them, though.

So far the only thing I can really say I don't like about it is the climate control system. It works well enough as far as heating goes but whenever you have it in floor mode or either of the defrost modes, the defroster duct makes a ticking noise every 30 seconds or so. It's not too loud and many people would probably not even notice but being in automotive interiors, my ears are very tuned in to every squeak, rattle or other noise and they drive me nuts! An older Vue ("old invoice" model) also had it but a second, newer Vue I test drove did not. The build date of mine was somewhere in between the two. I didn't really get to drive it before I picked it up because it was a dealer trade that came in the day I picked it up.

I also had to snap the two halves of the steering column cover together because it wasn't quite assembled properly and was only half together. You'd think the dealership would have noticed that in dealer prep but apparently they didn't.

Congrats on the purchase! I really like the new VUE compared to the '06-'07 restyled ones. My mom has an '05 AWD and she likes it a lot. The service her & my dad have received from their Saturn dealership has been great so far. I too am happy with my Saturn dealership (different from my parents), but I have an AURA and had a SKY.

The '05 Envoy we lease is expiring this summer. The wife gets to pick out the new car this year, and the VUE was on her list too. However, at the Philly Auto Show on Saturday they pnly had three on display (an XE, an XR, and a Hybrid). The XE & XR weren't well equipped models and she left the show not really "inspired" to want to check one out further. It's a shame, because they are such nice looking SUVs.

Keep us posted and let us know what actual MPG you're getting. Pics would be nice as soon as you get them taken. Happy Motoring!!!

Well, the first tank of gas was 18.03 mpg. This was a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving babying it during break-in. I'm not sure how full the tank was when I got it, though. I picked it up with 26 miles on the odo and it was already showing below full on the gauge. It also had at least 3 remote start warm ups for 5-10 minutes getting it warmed up before taking my 8 month old son to day care.

All in all, not too bad. I would expect it to get significantly better as everything breaks in and loosens up and as the weather warms up.

I'll use this thread to track fuel economy for all those interested.

Well, the first tank of gas was 18.03 mpg. This was a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving babying it during break-in. I'm not sure how full the tank was when I got it, though. I picked it up with 26 miles on the odo and it was already showing below full on the gauge. It also had at least 3 remote start warm ups for 5-10 minutes getting it warmed up before taking my 8 month old son to day care.

All in all, not too bad. I would expect it to get significantly better as everything breaks in and loosens up and as the weather warms up.

I'll use this thread to track fuel economy for all those interested.

Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated on your mileage. After visiting the Philly Auto Show again yesterday, she looked the VUEs over and deemed that there really wasn't anything that turned her off (she just much rather have the Volvo C30/S40/V50 or a CTS instead). Since we don't have to make a decision until the summer, I'll be researching more about the VUE in the meantime. 18 MPG is better than what we get in the Envoy when she drives it on her daily 64-mile roundtrip commute (16 MPG), but seeing as how this will soley be her car, I want to see better MPG overall (currently, she takes the Envoy 2 days and uses the AURA the other 3 days of the week). Again, I will appreciate any feedback you provide in this thread (likes, dislikes, MPG averages, etc).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0