Production Challenger SRT-8 Interior Pics

BrewSwillis

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you seriously comparing the handling, weight, luxury, and price of a sub-compact (as classified by the EPA: Yahoo page) BMW 335i to that of an EPA classified "Intermediate" (I'm assuming between mid-size and full size) Challenger??? :blink: That's just a crazy unrelated comparison! :stupid: That's like comparing apples to basketballs.

They are both coupes at a similar price point....that's why I would compare them...not crazy at all... I'd certainly test both. I think outside the box...the 335i has a 4.9 sec 0-60, and handles better due to being smaller, lighter, etc...

Obviously, if I were looking at a $30k Challenger, I'd compare against the Mustang GT and Camaro (if it existed). At $40k+, the 3-series and other similar coupes make sense for comparison..

Edited by moltar

How about just welcoming the Challenger as a unique product?---the rebirth of a RWD lux-coupe in the last T-bird mold, rather than getting everyone's panties in a bunch about interior quality or comparisons to a 335? (Which you cannot find for less than $44k on a dealer lot, but that's another story.)

How about just welcoming the Challenger as a unique product?---the rebirth of a RWD lux-coupe in the last T-bird mold, rather than getting everyone's panties in a bunch about interior quality or comparisons to a 335? (Which you cannot find for less than $44k on a dealer lot, but that's another story.)

Heh-heh..it is definitely a unique product...but the SRT8 will be $45-50k or more on dealer lots with the markup, so such comparisons are legit, IMHO. The 3-series is the standard bearer amongst performance coupes in the 40-50k range, so such a comparison is totally legit.

Edited by moltar

Heh-heh..it is definitely a unique product...but the SRT8 will be $45-50k or more on dealer lots with the markup, so such comparisons are legit, IMHO. The 3-series is the standard bearer amongst performance coupes in the 40-50k range, so such a comparison is totally legit.

Actually most of the guys I post with who have actually ordered them are paying MSRP.

I know over a dozen guys who have paid no markup whatsoever, I have yet to see anyone who has paid MORE than MSRP.

I see them on Ebay with markups, but I don't see them selling....

I'm not sure.

Are you f@#king stupid?

:lol:

Close your eyes. Open them.

If what you see is completely different between the two, you're not blind. If it's the same, you are.

That Omni and Camaro interior look nothing alike. The Challenger and Omni interiors, on the other hand, do have quite a big in common.

camarochallengeromnihv2.png

Edited by NOS2006

>>"The 3-series is the standard bearer amongst performance coupes in the 40-50k range, so such a comparison is totally legit. "<<

Such may be true from a consumer budget standpoint ('what can I get for what I have to spend), but to directly compare 2 very different vehicles in performance, handling, economy, room, etc merely because they're in a similar price range is not nearly so. Price dictates very little physically.

>>"The 3-series is the standard bearer amongst performance coupes in the 40-50k range, so such a comparison is totally legit. "<<

Such may be true from a consumer budget standpoint ('what can I get for what I have to spend), but to directly compare 2 very different vehicles in performance, handling, economy, room, etc merely because they're in a similar price range is not nearly so. Price dictates very little physically.

True...but the 3-series is a modern performance coupe, arguably the best of it's kind... so I would definitely compare them. To each their own.

I agree, the buyer looking at a BMW 3 series is a totally different buyer from a Mustang/Challenger/Camaro IMO.

$37,995 is also not quite "40k-50k" either..?

I agree, the buyer looking at a BMW 3 series is a totally different buyer from a Mustang/Challenger/Camaro IMO.

$37,995 is also not quite "40k-50k" either..?

True.....but not all buyers fit into neat little boxes..I'm not like other people...I'm open-minded enough to like and consider both retro style performance coupes (Mustang/Challenger/etc) and modern ones (3-series, G37)... And no way the Challenger SRT8 will be $37,995... reality will be $45-50k with dealer markup.

Edited by moltar

True.....but not all buyers fit into neat little boxes..I'm open-minded enough to consider both retro style performance coupes (Mustang/Challenger/etc) and modern ones (3-series, G37)... And no way the Challenger SRT8 will be $37,995... reality will be $45-50k with dealer markup.

I keep hearing about "markups", but go read forum after forum, guys are buying these at MSRP, not a penny more. I can see a few dealers TRYING to get markups, and maybe a few succeeding, but supply and demand will most likely ensure what the pricing is, don't you think? I don't think there will be a stampede to buy new Challengers once the pre-sold 9000 are delivered, though I may be wrong....

It reminiscent of the Miata, it's price WAS jacked up like crazy, for a time. But supply wasn't tremendous compared to demand.

The Mustang - and even more so the Challenger/Camaro are definitely a larger car than a BMW 3 series. I'm not sure one could be substituted for the other in a buyer's mind.

I keep hearing about "markups", but go read forum after forum, guys are buying these at MSRP, not a penny more. I can see a few dealers TRYING to get markups, and maybe a few succeeding, but supply and demand will most likely ensure what the pricing is, don't you think? I don't think there will be a stampede to buy new Challengers once the pre-sold 9000 are delivered, though I may be wrong....

It reminiscent of the Miata, it's price WAS jacked up like crazy, for a time. But supply wasn't tremendous compared to demand.

Interesting..I was expecting the same kind of situation with the Mustang Shelbys...outrageous dealer markups being the norm..

The Mustang - and even more so the Challenger/Camaro are definitely a larger car than a BMW 3 series. I'm not sure one could be substituted for the other in a buyer's mind.

True....but there are aspects of all of these cars that I like...again, I'm not like other people..

If price and door count are your criterion, you're absolutely correct.

Truth is that the Challenger is not a 3-series competitor, in this guise or in the lesser versions that will be along shortly. Will there be 'open minded' consumers looking at both? Of course. But I suspect you could say that about alot of product shopping out there--it's a smart buyers market today.

To me, this is the rebirth of the large RWD American coupe--it's not really a sportscar, nor is it a practical sedan--I think it's where a T-bird or Monte would be if there respective manufacturers had stayed the course with 80's-90's developments.

That being said, it is a 6-series sized vehicle, so shouldn't that be the BMW comparison, using the same logic you're applying to the 3-series?

The Challenger is unique. I hope it encourages other manufacturers to take a few chances. I'd love to see Ford use RWD for larger machines than the Mustang. GM's Riviera concept would be a great large Zeta.

To me, this is the rebirth of the large RWD American coupe--it's not really a sportscar, nor is it a practical sedan--I think it's where a T-bird or Monte would be if there respective manufacturers had stayed the course with 80's-90's developments.

I don't see the Challenger as a Monte or T-bird style car..it's a larger version of a Mustang or Camaro...a modern version of the classic pony car...the Monte Carlo and T-Bird were of the old midsize 'personal luxury' style car--a genre that has died out. The Challenger is much more overtly sporty and muscular.

Edited by moltar

I don't see the Challenger as a Monte or T-bird style car..it's a larger version of a Mustang or Camaro...a modern version of the classic pony car...the Monte Carlo and T-Bird were of the old midsize 'personal luxury' style car--a genre that has died out. The Challenger is much more overtly sporty and muscular.

That's what it looks like...I just don't consider a 4100lb+ car a 'sports car' or pony car. Nor are the LX/LY underpinnings really appropriate for a sportscar.

In today's terms, a pony car would be smaller...think G37 or even 3-series sized, as its relative to the marketplace. Retro cues or not, a comprable 'new' 4 seat T-bird or Monte would be exactly the Chalenger's size.

A new Monte that would be that size would be cool. And while I am not a huge Mopar fan, enzl is right, why can't we just celebrate this car as something cool?

Chris

Close your eyes. Open them.

If what you see is completely different between the two, you're not blind. If it's the same, you are.

That Omni and Camaro interior look nothing alike. The Challenger and Omni interiors, on the other hand, do have quite a big in common.

camarochallengeromnihv2.png

The Challenger's interior bares resemblance to the Omni more because it's a boxier design. However it is still smoother and more rounded than the Omni's The gauge cluster is wider and had 4 gauges and the shield is rounded off, the middle vents are differently positioned, and the interior as a whole is chunkier and more substantial. Still, if you had to pick which looks more like the Omni's the Challeger's is the one o doubt. The Camaro's interior has a 2 guage cluster with individual pods, a more swoopy dash and a swoopy center stack that bulges out. The only similarities is the boxy guage shield (but as I said, theres 2 of them) and teh fact that it has a center stack/console.

That's what it looks like...I just don't consider a 4100lb+ car a 'sports car' or pony car. Nor are the LX/LY underpinnings really appropriate for a sportscar.

In today's terms, a pony car would be smaller...think G37 or even 3-series sized, as its relative to the marketplace. Retro cues or not, a comprable 'new' 4 seat T-bird or Monte would be exactly the Chalenger's size.

It may be bug but teh LX cars do perform quit well. They may not handle with the same agility of a smaller car (duh) but they are certainly sporty.

I love this car.

I don't give a rat's ass about the interior, or the weight (it's really a musclecar not a pony car like Camaro and Mustang). American performance cars were never about interior luxury beyond good gauges and good seats. I too, am sick of all the Nav, bluetooth, heated seat, blah,blah,blah. To me, those things are just a distraction from the virtues of a given car - they can cover up a bad car or hide a good one. In either case, they inflate the price.

But then, I'm not a dash-groping gadget-pansy.

I love this car.

I don't give a rat's ass about the interior, or the weight (it's really a musclecar not a pony car like Camaro and Mustang). American performance cars were never about interior luxury beyond good gauges and good seats. I too, am sick of all the Nav, bluetooth, heated seat, blah,blah,blah. To me, those things are just a distraction from the virtues of a given car - they can cover up a bad car or hide a good one. In either case, they inflate the price.

But then, you're old school. And I respect you for that.

Also, thank you for not ranting 24/7 about how much you hate modern technology and the modern market.

So because I like a little technology to compliment my muscle car for times when I'm just commuting and not burning out rear the tires I'm a pansy? <_<

HAHA! PANSY!

Nah, they're just bitter that the '70s are over. :P

Edited by NOS2006

haha, no.

It's the people that think such things are a requirement in a car that earn that appellation.

I don't view modern features as a requirement, but things that should be definitely available as options...I like modern performance cars that mix luxury with performance...nothing wrong with that. I like the retro styling of cars like the Mustang and Challenger, but I don't want retro content (i.e. no vinyl seats, am radios, and manual windows.. :)

Edited by moltar

To tie this back into the Challenger...

I'm actually kind of upset that it only has like 3 options out of the factory. I don't understand that. I like options and individuality, something you can get with the Mustang and most likely the Camaro too.

And fake carbon stripes are retarded.

I don't view modern features as a requirement, but things that should be definitely available as options...I like modern performance cars that mix luxury with performance...nothing wrong with that.

When it comes to cars like Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, GTO, and even BMWs, I'm a purist.

I want these cars to be driver's cars, not techno-platforms. All of that stuff is merely a distaction to me when I drive a performance car. Given the option, none of it would find its way into my new car.

To me, cars like this are an escape from the world of technology and the insane pace of life in general. Anything that glows, buzzes, beeps, or rings ruins the experience. Hell, I rarely even used the stereo in my Firehawk - I loved having the car itself capture all of my senses .

When it comes to cars like Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, GTO, and even BMWs, I'm a purist.

I want these cars to be driver's cars, not techno-platforms. All of that stuff is merely a distaction to me when I drive a performance car. Given the option, none of it would find its way into my new car.

Fine... I want mine loaded, you want yours stripped.... that's what option lists are for.

Merely a distraction? To me, that says you use it if it's there, right? If not, it wouldn't be distracting you because, in the end, you still have the same damn car with a few amenities added in. :AH-HA_wink:

I love this car.

I don't give a rat's ass about the interior, or the weight (it's really a musclecar not a pony car like Camaro and Mustang). American performance cars were never about interior luxury beyond good gauges and good seats.

The key word there is 'were'. It's not 1970 anymore....

Merely a distraction? To me, that says you use it if it's there, right? If not, it wouldn't be distracting you because, in the end, you still have the same damn car with a few amenities added in. :AH-HA_wink:

Actually, I love an uncluttered dash, one that is all business. Too many buttons, symbols, and switches just junks it up for me.

The addition of a NAV screen usually gets rid of a lot of buttons. The extra buttons are usually either HVAC, radio, or options... And you can't delete the HVAC (radio can be taken out by you down the road).

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying a bit.

In this sort of car, the driving experience should be elemental and paramount.

I understand what you're saying, but ALL of what we're talking about is a part of the driving experiment.

Edited by NOS2006

The addition of a NAV screen usually gets rid of a lot of buttons. The extra buttons are usually either HVAC, radio, or options... And you can't delete the HVAC (radio can be taken out by you down the road).

It's the screen itself that I find most offensive - I never want one in any car I own.

Experiment indeed. :lol:

That stuff is not about driving, it is about commuting.

True, the driving experience is what it's all about....but in my world, commuting is part of daily life...I want a car that's good at both the slog and the occasional weekend mountain road fun drive...and creature comforts definitely help out with commuting. That's one of the things I love about BMWs is that they are great at both. American cars should be that way also...

Edited by moltar

Neither am I. My Camaro will be pretty much as optionless as it can get (cost is a major reason why). But I am a design nerd, and the Challenger's interior design lacks imagination, and it just irriates me. The concept car had a few cues that made me think of a '70s Challenger, but this new interior really doesn't, it just looks like another boring, lackluster Chrysler Corp. interior. A twelve year-old with a ruler and a few different sized coins could have designed it.

The Camaro's interior has that design edge, and that's what a lot of people don't seem to really realize. They let their preconceptions about interior materials make them ignorant. The Mustang has that edge as well, but the Camaro does more so, in my opinion. The specific use of different design cues (guages, dash shape, etc.) from the early '60s Camaros lets you know exactly what it is. What other than the faux pistol-grip shifter in the manual-equipped Challengers actually speaks the Challenger design language? Nothing, actually.

Experiment indeed. :lol:

:P Oops...

I guess it'll depend on which options are available before I decide what I want on my Camaro. I want the top engine, 6-speed manual trans, and top suspension package. I'll also want the roof to open (not convertible) somehow (sunroof, t-tops, w/e). Other than that, give me some options, GM, and I'll tell you what I like.

SPORTSCAR? Nope! PERFORMANCE CAR? Well, it does have four wheel independent suspension, HUGE brakes, and everything a musclecar back in the 1960s/1970s SHOULD have......?

The LX cars are NEVER going to be a "sportscar", but they were never meant to be a sportscar?

:scratchchin:

I love this car.

Egads. I agree with this post, and EVERY post you have in this thread.

:thumbsup:

And fake carbon stripes are retarded.

I'm not a fan of "fake carbon stripes" or fake ANYTHING, but Ma MoPar has brought the world mod tops, square steering wheels, crazy high impact colors, pistol grip shifters, Superbird/Daytona wings, you name it....

A LITTLE BIT of weirdness has to be expected...?

:AH-HA_wink:

I'm not a fan of "fake carbon stripes" or fake ANYTHING, but Ma MoPar has brought the world mod tops, square steering wheels, crazy high impact colors, pistol grip shifters, Superbird/Daytona wings, you name it....

A LITTLE BIT of weirdness has to be expected...?

:AH-HA_wink:

Yeah, Chrysler always had an element of strange, which is kind of endearing...since the Challenger is a retro '70s car, I'd love to see apple green paint with a dark green vinyl top as an option... :)

I hate to put undue shock on everyone here, but I have a client that is a Dodge dealer.....and he's getting ready to receive his first two Challengers.....and he's supposedly getting DOUBLE sticker price on them BOTH......

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying a bit.

In this sort of car, the driving experience should be elemental and paramount.

Exactly.

Chris

I hate to put undue shock on everyone here, but I have a client that is a Dodge dealer.....and he's getting ready to receive his first two Challengers.....and he's supposedly getting DOUBLE sticker price on them BOTH......

I'm willing to wait to see what it's like in places outside of Orange County.. :P