Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Crash Test Videos

Cory Wolfe

This is one reason why I'd like their to be an alternative to petroleum to power our cars. Part of me would really like to drive a Tahoe daily. Although it would be interesting to see a Tahoe/Escalade collision.

Chris

Actually this is why I like small cars in a way. Getting out of an accident is better than surviving one, and being able to react quickly has saved my sorry butt on many occasions....

Chris

Yup. Reason number 378,149,552 why I despise flimsy Hondas (the poster-child for weak unibody design)

and why I love owning a large body-on-frame car that's built like a low-long-sleek truck.

Growing up we always referred to them as Honda "accordions" , I guess we were on the mark with the name.

That old Commodore deserves the name as well it would seem, I wonder what the speed of that test was.

Yeah, seems like 70mph into a brick wall!?

I wonder how the new "five star" cars would fare against

that wall at that speed, better but not by much. Even if

you're driving a Peterbilt 379 hitting large slabs of

solid concrete is NEVER a good idea.

Actually one of the most interesting crash tests I ever saw was a fighter jet that went into a concrete wall. Since it was travelling at 500MPH it didn't fare too well.

Chris

Actually one of the most interesting crash tests I ever saw was a fighter jet that went into a concrete wall. Since it was travelling at 500MPH it didn't fare too well.

Chris

i remember seeing that on the history channel, they were doing a show on bunkers and crashed an old f4 phantom throught the wall... pretty intense

went something like this

Yup. Reason number 378,149,552 why I despise flimsy Hondas (the poster-child for weak unibody design)

and why I love owning a large body-on-frame car that's built like a low-long-sleek truck.

L would think thats a pretty bad angle to get hit by a truck no matter what you're driving.

Yes, it is, and there's a majority of larger, heavier cars that would falter in exactly the same manner.

I would like to see a large BOF Cadillac get hit in the same manner by a Trailblazer. While the car probably won't crumple as much, $10 says the driver will just as likely die.

And does anyone know the speed that these tests were done at?

Honda's ACE body structure which it is slowly incorporating into all of its cars and SUVs is designed to help with the size disparity between SUV's and cars in collisions, as well as pedestrian impacts. Is GM doing anything with its SUV's to make them safer when colliding with cars and pedestrians?

It's not so much mass but height mismatch. The Blazer/TB overrode the Accord's stiff bits, leaving nothing but the B-pillar to fend for itself.

Among vehicles of similar height, the stiffness and rigidity of the passenger cell is more important than weight. Some European superminis are so stiff that they punch through heavier cars, using the oncoming hood as a crumple zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5nRHV5Z9E

So what would happen if 2 renaults crashed and they lost the 'other' crumple zone of the other car?? Or worse- the volvo had the same structural system installed?? The dummies certainly weren't sipping tea during the impact; the car did a 180 in the air...

These sort of safety advances are usually quickly picked up by other manufacturers, wherein the undeniable magic of physics comes right to the head of the class again.

If you've ever seen how badly a LOT of heavy, older BOF cars really respond in crashes, you'd understand why even my Fleetwood driving self is not so keen on that idea :AH-HA_wink:

I tend to think of cars like the New Bettle, etc. that are absolute tanks despite being "small", versus things like my Fleetwood which are large, heavy, and thick and can hold up to abuse and many light accidents...but are scary bad in harder impacts.

But...not to open another can of worms. Just reminding of some reality.

The Accord is safe ... if you're a backseat driver. I don't see how a car whose airbag winds up in the backseat of an accident should be allowed for sale.

The old school Commodore is safe ... if you're not the one driving it. Like the Accord, that is a nightmare.

And just as scary is this video of a cheap little $h!ty car, probably Chinese, called the G-Wiz crashing into a wall at only 30 MPH from Top Gear. Click!

Edited by YellowJacket894

The Accord is safe ... if you're a backseat driver. I don't see how a car whose airbag winds up in the backseat of an accident should be allowed for sale.

The old school Commodore is safe ... if you're not the one driving it. Like the Accord, that is a nightmare.

And just as scary is this video of a cheap little $h!ty car, probably Chinese, called the G-Wiz crashing into a wall at only 30 MPH from Top Gear. Click!

The Commodore is only safe if you're in the trunk. :P

Also, it appears that you're better off witha table than the G-Wiz. Safer, stronger, and faster. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv-RMbtKjLU...feature=related

Edited by Dodgefan

If you've ever seen how badly a LOT of heavy, older BOF cars really respond in crashes, you'd understand why even my Fleetwood driving self is not so keen on that idea :AH-HA_wink:

I tend to think of cars like the New Bettle, etc. that are absolute tanks despite being "small", versus things like my Fleetwood which are large, heavy, and thick and can hold up to abuse and many light accidents...but are scary bad in harder impacts.

But...not to open another can of worms. Just reminding of some reality.

What he said.

Now, now.. Let's not forget that what you drive isn't exactly safe. If youtube was working for me, there's a few good videos for you. :P

If you choose to drive a small, low, car, you also have chosen to take your chances. Life isn't safe - choose accordingly.

Camino, I'm sure you don't live your life by choosing the "safe" route all the time. :P

Besides, choosing to drive any car is not a "safe" choice. You are much less likely to experience an accident in a place, train, bus, or taxi than in a car driven by yourself. Like Croc said, any car would not fare too well in certain conditions.

Camino, I'm sure you don't live your life by choosing the "safe" route all the time. :P

Besides, choosing to drive any car is not a "safe" choice. You are much less likely to experience an accident in a place, train, bus, or taxi than in a car driven by yourself. Like Croc said, any car would not fare too well in certain conditions.

I certainly don't choose the "safe" route all the time. Actually, I think the notion of safety is grossly overrated. I actually don't care if my car is airbag equipped or if it has the latest safety features - it simply isn't a factor in my buying decision. What I do object to is the addiction to ever more stringent safety regs that make our cars more expensive, uglier, more complex, heavier, and less efficient. Pedestrian safety standards and attempting to make trucks and SUVs safer for the small cars of the world to run into just ticks me off. Buyer beware, if safety is your main desire buy a Suburban, otherwise take your chances.

Now, now.. Let's not forget that what you drive isn't exactly safe. If youtube was working for me, there's a few good videos for you. :P

Hey, you forget that I personally wrecked one at thirty miles an hour and made it out without a scratch. :P

But now you make me want to see my truck hit a brick wall at ninety miles per hour, so away to You Tube I go.

So, on my last note, I watched some videos.

Gotta say, I want to know at what speed they crashed this particular S-10 at: IIHS Chevrolet S10 Crash Test.

And this one, well, the damage is just slightly similar to what I done to my previous S-Series truck: S10 vs. Taurus.

The last one also gives me an idea of what it would be like if I wrecked into my boss's car, so that's quite cool as well. :P

Hey, you forget that I personally wrecked one at thirty miles an hour and made it out without a scratch.

And my mom survived wrecking her Blazer, doesn't make it any safer. :P

So, on my last note, I watched some videos.

Gotta say, I want to know at what speed they crashed this particular S-10 at: IIHS Chevrolet S10 Crash Test.

The IIHS performs the front offset tests at 40 mph.