Buick may add a car below the LaCrosse

wildcat

So THIS is why PCS and GME are so anti Zeta/Holden.

If Alpha truly is being developed in germany, that is. :)

It would also explain why "Holeden will answer to GME now"

Interesting.... I think GM has realized that a good mix of both alpha and zeta cars is just what the market ordered. That's GREAT for the consumer.

EDIT: Nevermind... The article all but confirms the death of Zeta. Pontiac will on sell 30,000 G8s in 2009 and "the car might not be a permanent part of the line up"

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm hoping that it will have more style than the blue 4-door. The front is ok, but the sides need some Buick curves and portholes, etc.

Yeah, considering the Riviera Concept, I would have expected more. I agree the front is OK, but not sure about the rear. It doesn't look upscale enough for the US market and the grill is about all of the Buick DNA I see. They did mention that this was the low end model.

Just how much input does the Chinese contingent have on the new LaCrosse/Regal? Hopefully not much if this is the direction.

Edit: After a second and third look, the rear actually does have some Velite cues, if you grafted them onto a Toyota Corolla.

Edited by InvictaMan

The above is a link to the story, but the link to the real unmask is:

http://www.chinacartimes.com/2008/02/25/ne...-and-uncovered/

That blue car is just a generic FWD sedan based on a Daewoo platform...nothing significant. Looks like a Lacetti with different front and rear..

Edited by moltar

those both look really bad, and are photoshops. If Buick wants to release a premium compact car, that's fine by me. I would like it to be RWD, but if it had to be FWD to come out sooner, and be smaller, than that wouldn't be a big deal. I'd say about the current size of the Mazda3/Volvo S40 is good. It needs to look, feel, and drive premium in order to be considered premium and actually help instead of hurt Buick's image, which is obviously currently in need of several lifelines. Something dramatic is called for, like the Riviera concept.

I'd buy a smaller Buick... as much as I LOVE a large sedan (I'd LOVE if there was a new Roadmaster out there!)... there are many aspects of a smaller car I miss. And give it some premium quality, quiet ride, I'd totally go for a smaller Buick.

Two important details are wrong with this report. Alpha and rwd. The Excelle will be based on Delta and is fwd. Everything else is correct, including the [Delta] architecture being developed in Germany. As turbo says the photos in the China Car Times article are clearly based on the current Excelle, and are not the new Delta Buick.

How would this work though? I mean, what is it... FWD/AWD? I can't imagine an IS-type car in the Buick lineup to be honest... I can think of a Jetta type car, but definitely not an IS-type. I just can't imagine young kids striving for the new Buick out there.

a small Buick would need to be aimed at the youth crowd, at least partially. I am talking the same buyers that eat up cars like the Jetta, S40, A3, lower 3-series, even Civic and upper end Corollas. 30-somethings that are empty-nesters at this point looking for something the speaks with a higher pretense for luxury.

The problem is Buick is in no way capable of reaching that audience........at this point. A daring design, that made a bold statement like the Riviera concept, along with a car that keeps this market targeted would need to be made. A cheap Daewoo rip-off, Japanese car ripoff, like the current Excelle is would fail miserably and hurt Buick in the end.

A delta based Excelle for the American market is not at all a bad idea. The issue is the execution. If we're looking down the line at placing Buick as a luxury brand, then we need to think about what kind of cars we're going to make for them. Maybe GM should just engineer the heck out of the platform and then let Saab design the interior and exterior, for Buick of course. They're about the only ones that get how to appeal to an upmarket youthful clientele....

The greatest problem I see with introing a Delta Excelle to the American market is how pointless an excercise. Unless China can produce a dramatically different/better [which no doubt they will, but how much better becomes the questions]; then this will only end up hurting the Buick brand. And thier are too many other segments in which they need to correct/redesign thier presence/entrants anyway.

Pontiac also needs a premium compact car....and there is a clearer direction for that car to go into.....although the Buick is already developed because of China.......

Edited by turbo200

those both look really bad, and are photoshops.

There are two photoshops in the first link. One is a concept and the other is a rendition of what the car with the camo will look like. The car in the second link is definitely the camoed car unmasked. They say the blue Excelle is coming late in 2008. Does this mean the new Delta version is not coming until 2009, as a 2010 model?

I see what you're talking about. I got to the link where the new Buick Excelle is unmasked uncovered!

I was trying to figure out what you were talking about, cause I couldn't find this link. I still am not sure how I got there [maybe there are two different posts above]. Anywho, this looks like nothing but an updated version of the current car, which as I said above and is pretty clear to all eyes, is a Japanese rip off design. Don't know when the Delta II Excelle is coming, but I would say it's not more than 1-2 years off, since we can expect a new Cobalt for th '10 MY. I just hope they know what they're doing with this small car program. Rarely has GM shown they know what they're doing, and it's certainly never been with small cars, in my lifetime. The Japanese continue to revolutionize this genre offering consumers more of what they want, amenties, quality, design, craftsmanship......all the while American car companies stay far behind.

A Buick small car for America should look nothing like that "new" Excelle. With designs like the Groove, Beat, and Trax, I know somewhere in there they've got the talent that knows how to appeal to the small car crowd. It's just the question of if they are letting that talent get to the forefront. The more and more I get to know of GM, the less my faith is in them.

This was from my other post on this same topic - didn't see it was over here already

Very interesting - So, if this is true, the G8 could actually become one of the more rare GM models ever put out in the United States.

If Pontiac or Buick had a rear drive BMW 1-Series or 3-Series sized car with say, a 320 hp version of the 4.8L OHV V8 or the 306 HP DI V6, then that may be just as cool the Zeta based G8. I guess. I love the idea of a super sporty RWD car that's only 3300 lbs. or so (like my old Camaro), it would certainly be interesting to drive, especially with a Sigma style architecture. But having a large fast car seems more "GM like" to me (there's the old sentimental GM fan in me). Hard for me to get my head around this.

That really blows about the potential fate of the big Zetas at the end of the day. Man, I was really looking forward to being able to actually have what is essentially a Caddy STS/Infiniti M45/ BMW 545 brand new with a $20,000 discount. GM really has a winner on their hands with this G8- and now, thanks to a Government that loves to meddle in our affairs every time we turn around...us big car/ rear drive go fast car guys are screwed.

So, what's next, is the Camaro going to go on the chopping block too? I'm guessing that the Camaro is probably "off limits" per Master Bob himself - GM can't afford to mess that one up and only run it for 1 year - you'd have a riot of 60s muscle car fans 2 miles long with torches standing outside of GM headquarters asking for Rick Wagoner's head on a stick. (A new thought - maybe an Alpha based Camaro after the Zeta based Camaro is killed - with the same amount of horsepower...hmmmm....you'd get better gas mileage - physics doesn't lie)

This begs the question; will Zeta live on in the form of the GMC Denali XT and more importantly for the reputation of Caddy - a real honest to God car that could hold it's own against the LS460 and the S Class/7 Series?

Are they a foot, or on horseback? Do they know?

Does obsessing over this make me insane?

Buick may add a car below the LaCrosse

Yeeehaaw!!!

1998.buick.skylark.1367-396x249.jpg

Oh, wait...nevermind...

I would hope GM has learned from their mistakes.

Honestly though, I'd be excited about a smaller Buick :)

I wish I knew the dimensions of the NG LaCrosse... it might be interesting to make a car around 185", premium, AWD optional, etc.

I'm all for a smaller Buick if it is done the way a Buick should be done, especially if it is on the Alpha platform. Turbo V-6 Skylark? I like that idea!

How about a small, DI 3.6L with/without turbo Super edition? Throw in some satin-nickel accents, some black woods, suede, offer nav, premium audio, bam... winner :)

Looking at what my state is about to impose... I really wouldn't mind a compact Buick with a smallish displacement. Delta or Alpha doesn't matter to me as long as the car delivers on styling and quality. My point is, I'm not looking for a "cheap" Buick, but a smaller Buick that's still a premium vehicle. An Alpha-based compact would be able to draw a higher price over a Delta-based sedan though. If the LaCrosse replacement starts where I think it will start, there should be room for a premium Alpha-based Buick starting in the mid-$20ks.

How about a small, DI 3.6L with/without turbo Super edition? Throw in some satin-nickel accents, some black woods, suede, offer nav, premium audio, bam... winner :)

No need... I think this car will do fine with the new 4-cyl turbo engine GM has. If anything, the 3.6l could be available as an option, but I wouldn't mind leaving the 3.6l for the LaCrosse replacement or Cadillac Alpha.

No need... I think this car will do fine with the new 4-cyl turbo engine GM has. If anything, the 3.6l could be available as an option, but I wouldn't mind leaving the 3.6l for the LaCrosse replacement or Cadillac Alpha.

What is the new 4-cyl turbo? Is it DI?

What is the new 4-cyl turbo? Is it DI?

Maybe the engine in the Solstice GXP?

That would be pretty cool - a rwd car sized somewhere between the 1 Series and 3 Series with a 260 hp DI 4 cylinder Turbo as the base engine, a 306 hp DI V6 as an option as well as a torque monster small diesel (that will be offered in Europe).

If it was well built, well appointed and priced around $28-32k, I think it would sell ok.

I personally think that the IS is one of the hottest and most diverse cars Lexus has to offer right now. It offers many of the wonderful possibilities that you have all described up to this post, even if some of them will require a little after-market magic. That just adds to the fun of owning that entry level car, making it your own. Buick hasn't been courting the pimpsters for nothing. Remember, not all of those young buyers that GM wants Buick to attract in their metamorphosis has a daddy worth a billion. And with today's fuel prices, he almost has to be. The smaller, more efficient Buick has to be exciting enough to attract both ends of the spectrum. Who would have thought that the homely Prius would have become such a darling for the wealthy. I think Buick is perfectly suited for that market, in the past and in their new form. It just has to be done right, have the same aggressiveness of style and quality, and seem far more expensive than it really is. Hey, isn't that what Buick is all about anyway. They, and GM for that matter, obviously just lost their way in the flurry of the Japanese invasion. Make it easier for the expressive twenagers and thirtagers by offering a lot of upgrade possibilities a la carte, a la Scion and quit reaming folks with GM packages. That would make it attractive to this oldager, lol.

The new Excelle in the Chinese article (linked prior) is not the answer. It is more Skylark than IS. It might even border on Somerset. The more I think about it, Skylark is definitely not the name for this Buick. It has to rise above that heritage. Personally, I'd call it Invicta, but hey, "would I be prejudiced on that topic?" My only objection to that name for the small sedan would be if Buick also got smart and designed a little brother for Enclave. Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, BMW for that matter, all have the pleasure of the 5-seater crossover market. In that scenario, Invicta belongs with Enclave. They sound great together and Invicta is a hot name for a small, stylish, semi-luxury crossover.

I think this is the right direction for Buick, and the inevitable.

I couldn't resist this.

My dream Buick line-up:

Electra = Zeta flagship sedan

Riviera = Zeta flagship coupe/convertible

Regal = Ep II mid-size sedan

Wildcat = Delta sedan and coupe

Invicta = Theta or Sigma crossover

Enclave = Lambda crossover

Afterthought: Maybe switch out Wildcat for Bengal, sounds catchy with Regal.

Edited by InvictaMan

This was from my other post on this same topic - didn't see it was over here already

Very interesting - So, if this is true, the G8 could actually become one of the more rare GM models ever put out in the United States.

If Pontiac or Buick had a rear drive BMW 1-Series or 3-Series sized car with say, a 320 hp version of the 4.8L OHV V8 or the 306 HP DI V6, then that may be just as cool the Zeta based G8. I guess.

Absolutely! I'd jump ALL OVER and Alpha Pontiac with the 4.8L!

That really blows about the potential fate of the big Zetas at the end of the day. Man, I was really looking forward to being able to actually have what is essentially a Caddy STS/Infiniti M45/ BMW 545 brand new with a $20,000 discount. GM really has a winner on their hands with this G8- and now, thanks to a Government that loves to meddle in our affairs every time we turn around...us big car/ rear drive go fast car guys are screwed.
I'm willing to bet that Zeta is simply in limbo until we get (READ: If they ever get off of their asses) finalized CAFE numbers from the government. If the rules are strict; goodbye Zeta. If the rules are a bit more lenient; Zeta probably has a future either big or small.

Hence the "We're not sure about the future of the G8" I'll say this; I bet people at GM are pretty happy about the positive press that the G8 is getting and I bet that will have increasing influence on their decision, especially if it turns the division around.

So, what's next, is the Camaro going to go on the chopping block too? I'm guessing that the Camaro is probably "off limits" per Master Bob himself - GM can't afford to mess that one up and only run it for 1 year - you'd have a riot of 60s muscle car fans 2 miles long with torches standing outside of GM headquarters asking for Rick Wagoner's head on a stick. (A new thought - maybe an Alpha based Camaro after the Zeta based Camaro is killed - with the same amount of horsepower...hmmmm....you'd get better gas mileage - physics doesn't lie)

The Camaro is safe, for now. And I'd say that it along with the Cadillac/Buick Zetas is probably negatively affecting the G8. GM knows that Zeta will probably have to be scaled down or re-engineered. So they put the priority programs up first which are the Camaro. GM cannot cancel the Camaro, it'd be a HORRIBLE PR move. However, they can produce it for 3 years or so and then decide what to do. (Either death or Alpha) Next up is the Cadillac Zeta(s) because we all know Cadillac WILL NOT do without. Then we move to the B/P/GMC channel where we have a relatively low production G8 and G8 ST and a relatively low production Lucerne replacement. The Lucerne will win out (Unless it is killed too) based on profit margin alone.

This shed more light on the Impala too... It 1) was barely off the ground 2) Had a replacement program running beside it simultaneously and 3) Already had doubt and enemies at GM HQ. It seems to have been an EASY kill.

So the dilemma is: should Pontiac keep the G8 because it needs it or should the larger/ more profitable divisions get theirs? Can Pontiac build it's reputation on smaller cars? Can Zeta be engineered to be lighter and more efficient and is it worth it?

This begs the question; will Zeta live on in the form of the GMC Denali XT and more importantly for the reputation of Caddy - a real honest to God car that could hold it's own against the LS460 and the S Class/7 Series?

I'm not sure where the XT factors in, unless it is for 1) margin and 2) it's an answer to problems in the truck market that GM sees down the road.

But the bottom line is: Pontiac isn't a major division and the G8/G8 ST isn't adding a lot to the bottom line.

So the dilemma is: should Pontiac keep the G8 because it needs it or should the larger/ more profitable divisions get theirs? Can Pontiac build it's reputation on smaller cars? Can Zeta be engineered to be lighter and more efficient and is it worth it?

LOL! Tune in tomorrow for the answer to these and other questions on "As The GM Turns."

LOL! Tune in tomorrow for the answer to these and other questions on "As The GM Turns."

Heh-heh.... just wait a few years...it's going to be like 1988 all over again... the ghost of Roger Smith will be back and GM will be back to a fleet of forgettable FWD models... :)

Edited by moltar

You know. a good while back I made mention that I thought the design of the Velite belonged on a much smaller car. Reproportion that baby into a compact Buick coupe and sedan, and you've got a winner!

Afterthought: Look at the pics of the Velite, imagine it more the size of a G6, pop a hard top on it and tell me that is not the 2010 Buick Bengal.

Edited by InvictaMan

If GM serves up a mildly differentiated economy car with portholes and a Buick-style grille, it would fail to attract younger, more affluent buyers and would do nothing in terms of boosting the brand's image (which is exactly what a smaller Buick should be charged with doing).

GM has to work on associating a sense of prestige with Buick. That means NO plastic wheel covers, bench-seating, 4-speed transmissions, floaty suspension setups, etc., and much more in the way of premium features. I'd even venture to say that Buick should do away with cloth seating. Take a look at the Acura TSX for an idea of what I have in mind. Everything, aside from navigation, is standard.

While I'd love to see a small RWD Buick, FWD is acceptable as long as it's tuned right and wrapped in seductive sheetmetal. It would have to be a dynamic package with the features, content, and performance expected from a premium marque.

A smaller Buick would have to be bold enough to shock people in order to work. If GM can accomplish this, I'm all for it.

We have a bunch of old folks trading out of their beloved Town Cars into the MKZ. The bigger car, after knocking several mirrors off and nicking up all four corners, becomes too much for some of them. Of course, they then start to moan about how much they miss their old boat.

My point is, I can see some old folks liking a small Buick, if all the luxury of the bigger cars is packed into it. I think it's a good idear.

Turbo DI 3.6 at the high end. The DI 2.0 Turbo from the Solstice GXP/Sky Red Line would also be a powerful engine with good mileage. Base engine could be the 2.4L I-4 if they could get DI into it. I bet they could get 190 hp out of it pretty easily.

This idea is all in the execution.

I don't believe there's any need for a small, FWD Buick anything. It just doesn't say 'American Lexus', which is what they're allegedly shooting for.

A unique RWD product, perhaps a small coupe that becomes a Riviera makes sense. Another Cobalt derivative makes me want to puke.

As for the Zeta nightmare, I find it very hard to believe that the architecture couldn't be used on a variety of products that can help the CAFE situation. Wagons, pick-ups or people movers (CUV,VAN) can all be defined as 'trucks' and, therefore, allow the smaller scale production of all kinds of Camaro's, GTO's, RWD Impalas & a Velite/Riv. The Zeta story doesn't make sense to me...there are still a variety of products that will be Zeta possible, such as DTS/STS replacement or a PArk Ave...GM has spent a fortune on 2-mode hybrids...the last two are models that can pay for said tech at their price-points.

GM has to work on associating a sense of prestige with Buick. That means NO plastic wheel covers, bench-seating, 4-speed transmissions, floaty suspension setups, etc., and much more in the way of premium features. I'd even venture to say that Buick should do away with cloth seating. Take a look at the Acura TSX for an idea of what I have in mind. Everything, aside from navigation, is standard.

I agree with everything you say here, except that along with the kitchen sink sans nav, there definitely needs to be a lesser contented level. If the performance, panache and quality are there, and it can be contented or modified as the owner desires, you reach a whole different youth market that is looking to emulate the contented model at an Executive, Jr. salary.

My regret is that I did not mention the adjective "exotic" in my previous posts. I think Velite styling with some minor refreshes truly fits that attitude; as a compact American luxury value with some spunk. I say "don't stop at the sheet metal." When you sit in the leather driver's seat with the fob in your hand, the dash needs to come alive and put on a show to welcome you. Tastefully reserved ambient lighting, not at the blinding yet beautiful level of the Riviera Concept, should sweep out across the dash and controls like a wave from the steering column. Wow factor.

Why must we kill everything that doesn't ride like a 3-series?! mess_baby.gifmess_baby.gifmess_baby.gifmess_baby.gif

Some of us want big, comfortable, and soft.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

The whole other thing that bugs me is this failure to embrace diesel engines as a viable way to getting good mileage. It sounds like the Big 3 have some great diesel cars in Europe that I think with the correct marketing, would sell pretty well here in America. I'm absolutely pysched (and a bit shocked) to read about this upcoming 4.5L diesel that's supposed to be going into the 1500 trucks next year - but why not make that an optional engine (or even a standard engine) for a Zeta based (or mid sized Alpha based) Buick, Caddy or GMC 4 Door Denali XT? If the Germans can do it, then GM can do it too (in the US).

I have this suspicion that because of this whole E-85 business, that GM doesn't want to promote diesel too much here in the States (talk about pigeon holing your business, I think it's dumb). Hell, that new 2.9L diesel V6 being developed for the CTS over in Europe would be a super awesome engine in the G8 or future Buick Zeta (if there is one) - or even this new small Alpha car that they're talking about now. That motor makes over 400 lb ft of torque (and it will more than likely almost instantly get them close to that 35mpg nonsense that our Govt. is mandating). Moreover, for us car nuts, it would probably be really fun to drive.

Guys, I feel like we're fans of the early 90s Buffalo Bills - we have all the right talent , and even good coaching, but somehow we're still rooting for a team that's going to fall on its but in the Superbowl because of a few very obvious (to us) mistakes (the Superbowl in this case being actually respected and sought after in the market place).

Why must we kill everything that doesn't ride like a 3-series?! mess_baby.gifmess_baby.gifmess_baby.gifmess_baby.gif

Some of us want big, comfortable, and soft.

Look where big, comfortable, and soft got Buick.

I never said it had to ride like a 3-series, but the days of floaty cars on ancient platforms are over.

A small Buick shouldn't ride like a Roadmaster. End of story.

absolutely. the TSX you mentioned is a great bogey for ride/handling. The Accord, the civic....all offer great absorption, but perhaps lacking a little in the luxurious ride department. I would say anything European, as in standard VW setups, standard Audi setups....offer the right luxurious ride young affluent buyers are looking for.

GM cannot continue to neglect buyers in the affluent areas where roads are windy, tight, poorly maintained.....etc

They need to look to their compadres at Opel and Holden for advice on how to properly tune a suspension for small to medium cars.

absolutely. the TSX you mentioned is a great bogey for ride/handling. The Accord, the civic....all offer great absorption, but perhaps lacking a little in the luxurious ride department. I would say anything European, as in standard VW setups, standard Audi setups....offer the right luxurious ride young affluent buyers are looking for.

GM cannot continue to neglect buyers in the affluent areas where roads are windy, tight, poorly maintained.....etc

They need to look to their compadres at Opel and Holden for advice on how to properly tune a suspension for small to medium cars.

I haven't driven a TSX, but have heard good things about it... I've driven several TLs and ridden in them, and it was my favorite of the sub-$40k sport sedans until the '08 CTS came out (which is what I'm leaning towards now for my next daily driver).

Buick Excelle is a Daewoo Lacetti/Chevrolet Optra...

And the car in question has been revealed quite some time ago in Taiwan.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...c=12350&hl=

Toni... that's just a facelift on the existing platform for the Taiwanese market. It was rejected by Buick in China.

The article and the discussion is talking about an entirely new model to replace the current Excelle(s) in MY 2009/2010. The question that's still up in the air is if the new model will be on Delta II or Alpha. Since the current Excelle is FWD and based on the Lacetti/Nubira/Forenza it's natural to assume the replacement will be Delta II since that's what the Daewoo/Chevrolet replacement will be on... However there are contradicting reports with the Alpha platform being cited more and more. It's been rumored the new vehicle could be renamed Skylark (at least in China.)

The platform will be Delta 2 for the Excelle. What they do to replace the Regal (which sits between the Excelle and LaCrosse in China), if anything, is another matter entirely.

OOOHHHHH! So Buick could get both a Delta II and Alpha???? :drool:

Looking at the direction the US car market is headed in, that would really work out well for sedans:

Delta II FWD premium compact sedan (Skylark)

Alpha - RWD premium compact/small-midsize sedan (Regal)

Epsilon II - FWD/AWD luxury midsize/large sedan (LaCrosse, Invicta, or Electra)

Does the above seem feasible? :scratchchin:

Maybe then Buick could eventually have a Riviera coupe off of Alpha?