Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildcat

Buick may add a car below the LaCrosse

55 posts in this topic

According to Jamie Lareau of "Automotive News," it may be based on the Buick Excelle which will debut in China by early next year. To read the story, click here.

Edited by wildcat

So THIS is why PCS and GME are so anti Zeta/Holden.

If Alpha truly is being developed in germany, that is. :)

It would also explain why "Holeden will answer to GME now"

Interesting.... I think GM has realized that a good mix of both alpha and zeta cars is just what the market ordered. That's GREAT for the consumer.

EDIT: Nevermind... The article all but confirms the death of Zeta. Pontiac will on sell 30,000 G8s in 2009 and "the car might not be a permanent part of the line up"

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm hoping that it will have more style than the blue 4-door. The front is ok, but the sides need some Buick curves and portholes, etc.

I'm hoping that it will have more style than the blue 4-door. The front is ok, but the sides need some Buick curves and portholes, etc.

Yeah, considering the Riviera Concept, I would have expected more. I agree the front is OK, but not sure about the rear. It doesn't look upscale enough for the US market and the grill is about all of the Buick DNA I see. They did mention that this was the low end model.

Just how much input does the Chinese contingent have on the new LaCrosse/Regal? Hopefully not much if this is the direction.

Edit: After a second and third look, the rear actually does have some Velite cues, if you grafted them onto a Toyota Corolla.

Edited by InvictaMan

The sides need some help, and plastic hubcaps arn't ok on a Buick. Give the side some style add portholes and standard alloy wheels and I think we have a hit. Call it Skylark. Give it a turbo 4 cyl and call it the Skylark Super.

The above is a link to the story, but the link to the real unmask is:

http://www.chinacartimes.com/2008/02/25/ne...-and-uncovered/

That blue car is just a generic FWD sedan based on a Daewoo platform...nothing significant. Looks like a Lacetti with different front and rear..

Edited by moltar

those both look really bad, and are photoshops. If Buick wants to release a premium compact car, that's fine by me. I would like it to be RWD, but if it had to be FWD to come out sooner, and be smaller, than that wouldn't be a big deal. I'd say about the current size of the Mazda3/Volvo S40 is good. It needs to look, feel, and drive premium in order to be considered premium and actually help instead of hurt Buick's image, which is obviously currently in need of several lifelines. Something dramatic is called for, like the Riviera concept.

I'd buy a smaller Buick... as much as I LOVE a large sedan (I'd LOVE if there was a new Roadmaster out there!)... there are many aspects of a smaller car I miss. And give it some premium quality, quiet ride, I'd totally go for a smaller Buick.

Two important details are wrong with this report. Alpha and rwd. The Excelle will be based on Delta and is fwd. Everything else is correct, including the [Delta] architecture being developed in Germany. As turbo says the photos in the China Car Times article are clearly based on the current Excelle, and are not the new Delta Buick.

Actually I liked it. It is a pretty sharp car anyway they can sell more cars in America is fine with me. More cars = more money = better chance of Toyota not passing them up.

Edited by gm4life

Those photos are of a facelifted car also sold here as the Suzuki Forenza. Daewoo junk.

How would this work though? I mean, what is it... FWD/AWD? I can't imagine an IS-type car in the Buick lineup to be honest... I can think of a Jetta type car, but definitely not an IS-type. I just can't imagine young kids striving for the new Buick out there.

a small Buick would need to be aimed at the youth crowd, at least partially. I am talking the same buyers that eat up cars like the Jetta, S40, A3, lower 3-series, even Civic and upper end Corollas. 30-somethings that are empty-nesters at this point looking for something the speaks with a higher pretense for luxury.

The problem is Buick is in no way capable of reaching that audience........at this point. A daring design, that made a bold statement like the Riviera concept, along with a car that keeps this market targeted would need to be made. A cheap Daewoo rip-off, Japanese car ripoff, like the current Excelle is would fail miserably and hurt Buick in the end.

A delta based Excelle for the American market is not at all a bad idea. The issue is the execution. If we're looking down the line at placing Buick as a luxury brand, then we need to think about what kind of cars we're going to make for them. Maybe GM should just engineer the heck out of the platform and then let Saab design the interior and exterior, for Buick of course. They're about the only ones that get how to appeal to an upmarket youthful clientele....

The greatest problem I see with introing a Delta Excelle to the American market is how pointless an excercise. Unless China can produce a dramatically different/better [which no doubt they will, but how much better becomes the questions]; then this will only end up hurting the Buick brand. And thier are too many other segments in which they need to correct/redesign thier presence/entrants anyway.

Pontiac also needs a premium compact car....and there is a clearer direction for that car to go into.....although the Buick is already developed because of China.......

Edited by turbo200

those both look really bad, and are photoshops.

There are two photoshops in the first link. One is a concept and the other is a rendition of what the car with the camo will look like. The car in the second link is definitely the camoed car unmasked. They say the blue Excelle is coming late in 2008. Does this mean the new Delta version is not coming until 2009, as a 2010 model?

I see what you're talking about. I got to the link where the new Buick Excelle is unmasked uncovered!

I was trying to figure out what you were talking about, cause I couldn't find this link. I still am not sure how I got there [maybe there are two different posts above]. Anywho, this looks like nothing but an updated version of the current car, which as I said above and is pretty clear to all eyes, is a Japanese rip off design. Don't know when the Delta II Excelle is coming, but I would say it's not more than 1-2 years off, since we can expect a new Cobalt for th '10 MY. I just hope they know what they're doing with this small car program. Rarely has GM shown they know what they're doing, and it's certainly never been with small cars, in my lifetime. The Japanese continue to revolutionize this genre offering consumers more of what they want, amenties, quality, design, craftsmanship......all the while American car companies stay far behind.

A Buick small car for America should look nothing like that "new" Excelle. With designs like the Groove, Beat, and Trax, I know somewhere in there they've got the talent that knows how to appeal to the small car crowd. It's just the question of if they are letting that talent get to the forefront. The more and more I get to know of GM, the less my faith is in them.

Yeeehaaw!!!

1998.buick.skylark.1367-396x249.jpg

Oh, wait...nevermind...

This was from my other post on this same topic - didn't see it was over here already

Very interesting - So, if this is true, the G8 could actually become one of the more rare GM models ever put out in the United States.

If Pontiac or Buick had a rear drive BMW 1-Series or 3-Series sized car with say, a 320 hp version of the 4.8L OHV V8 or the 306 HP DI V6, then that may be just as cool the Zeta based G8. I guess. I love the idea of a super sporty RWD car that's only 3300 lbs. or so (like my old Camaro), it would certainly be interesting to drive, especially with a Sigma style architecture. But having a large fast car seems more "GM like" to me (there's the old sentimental GM fan in me). Hard for me to get my head around this.

That really blows about the potential fate of the big Zetas at the end of the day. Man, I was really looking forward to being able to actually have what is essentially a Caddy STS/Infiniti M45/ BMW 545 brand new with a $20,000 discount. GM really has a winner on their hands with this G8- and now, thanks to a Government that loves to meddle in our affairs every time we turn around...us big car/ rear drive go fast car guys are screwed.

So, what's next, is the Camaro going to go on the chopping block too? I'm guessing that the Camaro is probably "off limits" per Master Bob himself - GM can't afford to mess that one up and only run it for 1 year - you'd have a riot of 60s muscle car fans 2 miles long with torches standing outside of GM headquarters asking for Rick Wagoner's head on a stick. (A new thought - maybe an Alpha based Camaro after the Zeta based Camaro is killed - with the same amount of horsepower...hmmmm....you'd get better gas mileage - physics doesn't lie)

This begs the question; will Zeta live on in the form of the GMC Denali XT and more importantly for the reputation of Caddy - a real honest to God car that could hold it's own against the LS460 and the S Class/7 Series?

Are they a foot, or on horseback? Do they know?

Does obsessing over this make me insane?

Yeeehaaw!!!

1998.buick.skylark.1367-396x249.jpg

Oh, wait...nevermind...

I would hope GM has learned from their mistakes.

Honestly though, I'd be excited about a smaller Buick :)

I wish I knew the dimensions of the NG LaCrosse... it might be interesting to make a car around 185", premium, AWD optional, etc.

I'm all for a smaller Buick if it is done the way a Buick should be done, especially if it is on the Alpha platform. Turbo V-6 Skylark? I like that idea!

I'm all for a smaller Buick if it is done the way a Buick should be done, especially if it is on the Alpha platform. Turbo V-6 Skylark? I like that idea!

How about a small, DI 3.6L with/without turbo Super edition? Throw in some satin-nickel accents, some black woods, suede, offer nav, premium audio, bam... winner :)

Looking at what my state is about to impose... I really wouldn't mind a compact Buick with a smallish displacement. Delta or Alpha doesn't matter to me as long as the car delivers on styling and quality. My point is, I'm not looking for a "cheap" Buick, but a smaller Buick that's still a premium vehicle. An Alpha-based compact would be able to draw a higher price over a Delta-based sedan though. If the LaCrosse replacement starts where I think it will start, there should be room for a premium Alpha-based Buick starting in the mid-$20ks.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0