Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
z28luvr01

C&G @ NYIAS: Chevy Volt Nation Event

42 posts in this topic

Lutz' word is on the line here, I think you will see the Volt, even if his engineers have to work around the clock. If however it does not come to fruition I think you will see Uncle Bob retire soon thereafter. Then Mr. Burns will be called to Detroit to take command, bringing with him most of his staff. Today Europe, tomorrow the Vorld (German accent here). :smilewide: I wish Uncle Bob all the best.

Lutz' word is on the line here, I think you will see the Volt, even if his engineers have to work around the clock. If however it does not come to fruition I think you will see Uncle Bob retire soon thereafter. Then Mr. Burns will be called to Detroit to take command, bringing with him most of his staff. Today Europe, tomorrow the Vorld (German accent here). :smilewide: I wish Uncle Bob all the best.

Long live Uncle Bob! :AH-HA_wink:

Mercedes is actually going to beat GM on lithium-ion batteries with the 2009 S-class hybrid. GM may have the first plug-in hybrid but Toyota also claims they'll do it in 2010. The Volt is a car GM desperately needs, but I don't know if it can be called a "game changer" if Toyota has one also, or if the Volt is near $40,000.

From Business Week...

"Mercedes says the S400 BlueHybrid, powered by a 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine in combination with an electric motor will deliver a combined 299 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque. Fuel economy of the car would be nearly 30 mpg.

Mercedes expects to foollow the S400 with a second lithium-ion hybrid, the S300 Bluetec Hybrid, which combine a 2.2-liter, twin-turbocharged, four-cylinder diesel engine with an electric motor. That car will achieve almost 44 mpg."

The S400 has the CTS, Tahoe Hybrid and LS600h beat by 10 mpg, that is pretty impressive. I know people will want to knock the 4 cylinder diesel, but think of how many S-Classes are in cities like New York, London, Tokyo, Berlin, etc chauffeuring CEOs around, and sit in traffic most of the day and never get above 35 mph.

If however it does not come to fruition I think you will see Uncle Bob retire soon thereafter. Then Mr. Burns will be called to Detroit to take command, bringing with him most of his staff. Today Europe, tomorrow the Vorld (German accent here). :smilewide: I wish Uncle Bob all the best.

Funny you mention that, because that was one of the questions. I didn't mention it because it wasn't pertinent to the Vol. Lutz answered that by responding that even if he were to leave, the leadership at GM knows that the bold, risktaking approach taken by GM currently is the way to go. They understand that taking the safe, cautious approach that GM used before he got there just will not work. At the Pontiac dinner I brought up Lutz' blog, and we got into a conversation about how much they love Lutz. They said that even though they occasionally have to do some damage control when he speaks, it's well worth it. He says it like it is, never reads the script, and not afraid to ruffle feathers. The proof is in the pudding - everyone I spoke to had just an awesome attitude. They were excited about the cars they created, and looking forward to he challenges facing them. They know they're in deep doo-doo with the CAFE regs, but they are not shrinking down from it. They want to face it head on.

Moral of the story, if Mr. Burns gets the job, he better not screw up what Lutz created, or GM is screwed.

Mercedes is actually going to beat GM on lithium-ion batteries with the 2009 S-class hybrid. GM may have the first plug-in hybrid but Toyota also claims they'll do it in 2010. The Volt is a car GM desperately needs, but I don't know if it can be called a "game changer" if Toyota has one also, or if the Volt is near $40,000.

From Business Week...

"Mercedes says the S400 BlueHybrid, powered by a 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine in combination with an electric motor will deliver a combined 299 hp and 277 lb-ft of torque. Fuel economy of the car would be nearly 30 mpg.

Mercedes expects to foollow the S400 with a second lithium-ion hybrid, the S300 Bluetec Hybrid, which combine a 2.2-liter, twin-turbocharged, four-cylinder diesel engine with an electric motor. That car will achieve almost 44 mpg."

The S400 has the CTS, Tahoe Hybrid and LS600h beat by 10 mpg, that is pretty impressive. I know people will want to knock the 4 cylinder diesel, but think of how many S-Classes are in cities like New York, London, Tokyo, Berlin, etc chauffeuring CEOs around, and sit in traffic most of the day and never get above 35 mph.

Those are impressve stats for the Benz, but remind the rest of the board what the price range is of the S class and its competition. I should be able to afford a Volt and a G8 GXP to use on weekends for that price.

Although I like Lutz and would disappointed if his reign ended in him leaving because this didnt pan out, Larry is a very intelligent guy and if the Lutz-itude stays that may also be a good combination.

BTW, z28, I live the VH pic!

If I'm wrong, I'll be man enough to admit it.

I might even try to go positive every once in a while. :)

:thumbsup:

The Volt is NOT a Hybrid tho, so why is it getting compared to them? There is NOTHING like the Volt in the pipeline from any company besides GM.

The Volt is NOT a Hybrid tho, so why is it getting compared to them? There is NOTHING like the Volt in the pipeline from any company besides GM.

As far as we know... With all the talk about Volt, it gets a lot of hype, but competitors could copy or get a similar product out earlier. Keeping quiet almost assures no one will try to beat you.

If you think about it GM has been using all of the technoligy except the lithium ion batteries. The ev1 for the controls, GM ElectraMotive for the drive system. All they have to do is package and merge the systems into an auto. If any one corp. can do it it would be GM

Also have you herd the comercials that a railroad corp. has been playing about the kind of mpg that trains get? I know that the rolling resistance is almost non egsistant but there's something to be said for tuning for a generators limited rpm needs.

I may be wrong as I read the Volt info when it was posted but GM projects it will get the equivalent of 150mpg on bat. and 75 on gas and that was before the oil burner was even brought up there wont be any hybred that could match let alone surpass these stats.

My only hope is that they offer this system in a wide range of cars and trucks econo cars, lux, hi preformance, SUVs RVs lets not reinvent the car that we drive, just the way we propel them

And yes the post cant end without mention of a replacement for 84" wide rwd bof station wagon that goes and handles like a ZR1(still gotta dream ;-)

Toyota said they would have a plug in car in 2010, and Ford is working on a plug in Escape hybrid. The Tesla Roadster is already in production and is electric only, no gas engine at all, and can go 221 miles on one charge. The Volt goes 40 miles on one charge. The Tesla roadster is 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, that beats an M3 or Corvette.

The Volt is an important car for GM, but other companies are working on similar cars, GM isn't going to be the only one with a car like the Volt.

Toyota said they would have a plug in car in 2010, and Ford is working on a plug in Escape hybrid. The Tesla Roadster is already in production and is electric only, no gas engine at all, and can go 221 miles on one charge. The Volt goes 40 miles on one charge. The Tesla roadster is 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, that beats an M3 or Corvette.

The Volt is an important car for GM, but other companies are working on similar cars, GM isn't going to be the only one with a car like the Volt.

The Tesla is expensive for one, and secondly isn't both Toyota and Ford's plug in's just plug in version's of there existing hybrids? I don't think I've read anywhere where it states that they would be powered (motivated down the road) purely by electricity like the Volt would be.

Edited by deftonesfan867

toyota-ft-hs-11.jpg

if this is the 2010 toyo you speak of, i saw this back when the fj cruiser was a concept... if thats the case toyo is dragging their heels this time around and GM deserves to beat them to the punch.

None of those are series hybrids. You want to compare plug-in hybrids, look up info on the upcoming plug-in Vue and compare that with others. A series hybrid is notably different than just a plug in hybrid. Particularly because once they develop the first car, engineering will have a pretty easy time designing car #2, #3, and so on with different provisions for electricity - diesel, fuel cell, whatever. A plug-in hybrid squeezes every last bit of efficiency out of ICE design, but the series hybrid design could allow GM to take major steps toward any number of alternative fuel sources, and after the volt, with relative engineering ease.

Moral of the story, if Mr. Burns gets the job, he better not screw up what Lutz created, or GM is screwed.

:withstupid:

Mr. Burns had better learn how to build something other than sewing machines! :AH-HA_wink:

[...] Larry is a very intelligent guy and if the Lutz-itude stays that may also be a good combination.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but you have the wrong Mr. Burns. Please refer to the directory for assistance. :smilewide: :AH-HA_wink:

Exactly. The Volt is, in layman's terms, an electric car that can regenerate most of the charge it loses over the duration of a trip. It does not run on the gas motor, it is only there as a generator, as a back-up. Sort of like how a ... hospital, for example, will have a few generators to make electricity when the power grid is down, after it has been knocked out during a bad thunderstorm, to keep the life-support equipment going. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room