Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The O.C.

The O.C. Might Have to Change His Name.....

42 posts in this topic

Well,

The company I was working for went belly-up.......so I've been back on the job market.

Ironically, one of my closest friends (who has owned his own dealerships before, and ran a BMW and a Mercedes-Benz store here in Orange County) has moved recently to Las Vegas and is running a Cadillac dealership there.....and he wants me to come work for him and build and run his internet sales department!

This could be a great opportunity, I'd be working for a Caddy store, with one of my closest friends (whom I've worked for before at Irvine BMW....so we know we work really well together) and it would be a fun career change. What do you guys think?

I'd keep my condo here in SoCal. I could rent it out.....or, a better option in my mind, is not to rent it out and keep it here to come back to on weekends. My friend, who I'd work for, leased a big house in Summerlin (really, really nice suburb of Las Vegas) and it's just him there in like a 3,500 square foot house. (His wife and two girls are still here in Newport Beach and he commutes home on days off.) So he's even offered to let me room with him. That way, I could afford to just keep the SoCal condo to come home to.

If this thing works out, and I decide I want a more permanent life in Las Vegas, then I could rent out the SoCal condo and get my own place in Las Vegas. There are some super nice areas outside of The Strip such as Summerlin, Lake Las Vegas, and to a lesser-extent, Henderson. And L.V. may still be a tacky place to be, but thanks to the recent infusion to the economy within the last 10 years or so, you can find just about any level of shopping or dining that you can in the L.A.s, Chicagos, and New Yorks now.

I'd love to buy something there.....but don't know if I can qualify after having the mortgage already on my SoCal place. The housing market is in shambles there right now with all the foreclosures......a TRUE buyer's market right now......and it's relatively cheap. That being said, the actual economy is quite strong and the car business seems to be doing relatively well there right now. There have been a big influx of companies that are locating regional offices (and even some headquarters) to Las Vegas due to the cost-of-living and the good weather. The economy has REALLY diversified over the last 10 years or so. So that's nice to know.

I've been to Las Vegas more times than I can count......for business mostly......I know it like the back-of-my-hand. I never could see myself living there.....especially after living in SoCal.....but for something interesting to do for a few years, and if I can keep my place here to "come home to" then it might be a fun run. I at least know living there CAN be really nice.....if you are away from The Strip.

We'll see.....I'm driving out there tomorrow for a couple days (it's only about a 3.5hour drive) to see the dealership and hang out with my friend to get a feel for if I want to try this.....

Good Luck!

If it feels right, It might be worth exploring :yes:

Cool... I'm doing something similar to that between Denver and Phoenix. I'm keeping my condo in Denver for now (may rent it out), and am going to be in Phoenix at least 6 months or more. My sister is working in Ohio, finding it difficult time-wise/etc to go back and forth every week...since I finished my most recent contract in Denver March 31, I'm down in Phoenix now house sitting for her...taking care of her house in central Phoenix, 4 dogs (my 1+ her 3), and her Benzes, she will probably come back once a month or so.

Phoenix is an interesting place, I've been coming out here several times a year for the last 15 years, but I think it would be a fun place to live a few years...so far, it looks like the job market is still pretty strong here (had 2 in-person and 3 phone interviews this week so far).

Sounds like a good plan. Housing will remain in the dumps for at least another year. Rent or share a place for a year then buy a place. Get approved for a mortage based upon renting out your condo.

It's nice. We go there once a year almost, usually rent a condo in Mesa a block from the Cubs spring-training field (Casitas at Park Center), with the US Real Estate marked broken six ways from Sunday, we might be able to finally buy in.

Funny...I was listening to one of drive-time radio shows tonight and they were talking about Canadians buying homes in Phoenix due to the weak dollar and relatively cheap cost here...

Funny...I was listening to one of drive-time radio shows tonight and they were talking about Canadians buying homes in Phoenix due to the weak dollar and relatively cheap cost here...

Half the complex we rent at was already owned by aged snowbirds with gold plated Rivieras with Alberta Plates and Golf Clubs (before the market went in the toilet), wait till phase two of our little invasion begins. :AH-HA_wink:

In all fairness we usually go there in the springtime or in November, the heat was unbearable that one summer. In Mesa you've got everything close by- the Superstition Freeway, Superstition Mall, Fiesta Mall, lots of good eating, Brown and Brown Chevrolet down the street that helped us out of a few binds...

You can now fly down there on WestJet for like 200$ each way if you book a month in advance, It's a good value.

Just don't let this happen...

whathappensinvegasxq7.png

that would be what mathematicians call "the remainder"

:lol:

Vegas is great. Lots of 'buyer's' opportunities there, for both cars and real estate. It's still close enough to L.A. County that a person can drive there for a weekend of 'fun.' Sounds like a good idea to me, OC.

As long as this timing isn't too convenient to run away from other...ahem, problems of late.

that would be what mathematicians call "the remainder"

One of your best lines ever, you get 2 points for that. :lol:

holy crap OC, your life is not at all dull lately, is it?

LOL not at all...........

I'll post on here again when I get there or when I get home and let you all know what it's like.............

NOW....I'll just have to try to make bookoo-bucks the next year or so......so that I can trade in my CTS for a CTS v-Series when it comes out......! I have pull.....I know 'da boss....LOL

:cheers:

As long as this timing isn't too convenient to run away from other...ahem, problems of late.

I think "convenient" is the right word to use for my solution to the other.....ahem, problem I'm dealing with........

^_^

I'd really like to see about staying with my friend, and keeping my SoCal condo without having to rent it out. That way, I can drive back on my days off and enjoy a respite from all the sinning and grinning......

I'll just have to see how much money I'll be making.....my mortgage here isn't cheap.....

But worse-case scenario, maybe I can convince the "bf" (for lack of another word) to stay in the condo for me, pay me, and keep it up.......

:scratchchin:

Then....I'd have some money coming in at least on it......AND would still have a place to come back to on my days off......

Well, it sucks that the company you were working for went belly up but hey, it looks like opportunity knocked at about the right time for you. Good luck with making this all work out for you.

But worse-case scenario, maybe I can convince the "bf" (for lack of another word) to stay in the condo for me, pay me, and keep it up.......

:scratchchin:

Do we need a whole new thread where we all tell you how bad of an idea that is.... or will this one do?

Do we need a whole new thread where we all tell you how bad of an idea that is.... or will this one do?

Agreed.

C'mon Chris...are you this naturally naive or do you take some kinda pill for that? You give this guy access to your place, unsupervised, while you're in Vegas, and you're gonna wind up on Judge Judy trying to get some money back after he trashes the place--if he even makes good on the rent payment in the first place without a litany of excuses. Don't be a sugar daddy. Plus he has his friend in Newport to stay with.

Maybe the new BF is hanging out with my friend Sa-Sa's BF, Frank. Frank and Sa-Sa are supposed to be married in two weeks (reception at my place). Frank flew off to California about 10 days ago 'on business.' Sa-Sa (who is 29, but emotionally 15 because he just 'came out') was suspicious, but found out through a mutual friend that Frank is on vacation. Fine. I gave Frank the benefit of the doubt. I don't know him that well. They have been dating for about 6 weeks.

Today, I find out (via my BF, who is closer to Sa-Sa) that Sa-Sa has sent (get ready for this) $2,500 down to Frank over the past several days. Frank had the balls today to call and ask for another $500. I had to walk away from my BF as he talked to Sa-Sa on the phone while we were in Sears this afternoon. I mean, naive is one thing - but stupid is another. The money angle changes everything. It isn't like Sa-Sa is rich: he works to jobs and is fighting to stay in Canada (he is from Mexico, go figure).

I was just starting to like Frank. We have a lot in common, even though he is about 15 years my junior. However, using people so blatantly is not acceptable. No, Frank is off my Christmas card list.

And I hope he stays in California.

Maybe the new BF is hanging out with my friend Sa-Sa's BF, Frank. Frank and Sa-Sa are supposed to be married in two weeks (reception at my place). Frank flew off to California about 10 days ago 'on business.' Sa-Sa (who is 29, but emotionally 15 because he just 'came out') was suspicious, but found out through a mutual friend that Frank is on vacation. Fine. I gave Frank the benefit of the doubt. I don't know him that well. They have been dating for about 6 weeks.

Today, I find out (via my BF, who is closer to Sa-Sa) that Sa-Sa has sent (get ready for this) $2,500 down to Frank over the past several days. Frank had the balls today to call and ask for another $500. I had to walk away from my BF as he talked to Sa-Sa on the phone while we were in Sears this afternoon. I mean, naive is one thing - but stupid is another. The money angle changes everything. It isn't like Sa-Sa is rich: he works to jobs and is fighting to stay in Canada (he is from Mexico, go figure).

I was just starting to like Frank. We have a lot in common, even though he is about 15 years my junior. However, using people so blatantly is not acceptable. No, Frank is off my Christmas card list.

And I hope he stays in California.

:banghead::nono:

:banghead::nono:

Ven, I have a lot of experience with people who just 'came out.' (I used to work on a peer support gay youth hotline.) It doesn't matter if the person is 25 or 40, if they have been in denial all their life, dating women, etc., when they finally meet a man and come out, it is literally like a moth into a buttefly. However, one of the drawbacks is that these people tend to go overboard with everything they do: drink too much, party too much, sleep around, or fall in love with every person they sleep with. Emotionally, they are very much 15, no matter what their calender age is. I think the people who struggle with it in their childhood are the ones who are vulnerable to suicide, addictions or emotional drama. Perhaps they feel they have to make up for lost time or perhaps they feel like they want to forget those 'lost' years, but I have witnessed it a lot. Some can work it out of their system very rapidly and then move on, while others can spiral into addictions and self-pity. I know where our friend is coming from, and I am trying to get him over the pitfalls.

Those who never felt the remorse or tried to pretend they were straight are very rare, indeed. :smilewide: <-- Me

LOL don't worry.....I'm not entertaining that.....

Besides I can rent out my condo for far more than he could afford to pay me.......

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room