Chrysler, Nissan to hook up for model swapping

Not sure how accurate this is...this Inside Line article claims that Chrysler will get a B-segment model from Nissan (I thought Chery was going to be their provider for a subcompact) and that the next-gen Titan will be a restyled Ram, for 2011.

Interesting if this turns out to be true.

Inside Line article on Chrysler, Nissan JV

That's just swell. I finally step out of the box and buy something other than GM, and Chrysler moves in and ruins it. Come on guys, stick to your own and be original. Nissan was doing just fine.

I think this will benefit Chrysler, not ruin Nissan. Nissan Z's will still rock :AH-HA_wink:

I think this will benefit Chrysler, not ruin Nissan. Nissan Z's will still rock :AH-HA_wink:

Hmmm...maybe Chrysler can get a Z-based 2 seater Crossfire replacement.

It is odd, though, to think of Chrysler and Nissan, given their past and present JVs with Mitsubishi..

Edited by moltar

I actually think that this is good news for both companies. I would like to see more collaboration between them. I don't believe Chrysler has the financial resources to fully develop new products from the ground up on their own. Chrysler will have to develop and utilize partnerships with other companies to help alleviate the cost of future product development. I don't believe Nissan is such a bad choice to help them make it happen. It's certainly much better than Chery or even Mitsubishi. I look at this as a smart move by both companies.

wow.

I can't wait to get my Renault-Nissan-Chrysler "MyBallsAreInMyWife'sPurse GT coupe"

Thanks but no thanks.

The only good thing is the Titan-Ram connection & maybe (just me speculating) an

Infiniti-based next gen. 300C/Charger?

Well look at what Nissan is canceling.

QX56

Armada <maybe>

and Quest

There was talk of a Titan HD but the Titan is already so irrelevant I don't blame them for not bothering.

Look at what Chrysler is canceling

Durango/Aspen/Commander

PT Cruiser Convertible

Viper <maybe>

Compass

Crossfire

Pacifica

The two companies could fit very well together.

Restyled Ram to Nissan

Joint venture on a largish SUV

Work together on the next batch of minivans/midsize crossovers

Chrysler gets a b-segment car

Restyling of the FM platform for a Crossfire replacement

It is odd, though, to think of Chrysler and Nissan, given their past and present JVs with Mitsubishi..

Maybe it's odd, but it's also clever: Ghosn gets his NA alliance partner without having to have to make equity investments for now. And maybe he puts himself 1st in line to buy Chrysler when Cerberus is done with it, especially after Cerberus takes all the blame for drastically dowsizing the company. Clever, clever!

That's just swell. I finally step out of the box and buy something other than GM, and Chrysler moves in and ruins it. Come on guys, stick to your own and be original. Nissan was doing just fine.

Indeed, what with that beautiful and blockbuster sales hit Quest, not to mention the award winning and best in Class Armada, and it's completely distinct and unique Infiniti platform-mate.

And let's not forget the Titans flying off of the shelves.

It could be quite good...Nissan knows how to do small and midsize cars and Chrysler knows hw to do large cars and trucks.

Way to fly off the handle. It's one truck, and one car. Didn't we just combine all of Chrysler's and VW's lineups after Chrysler made VW a minivan?? :rolleyes: That didn't go anywhere beyond that minivan. Get a grip people. There will not be a 2013 Challenger/350Z platform. The Big 3 desperately need small cars to sell right now, and Chrysler doesn't have a true small car.....and the stupid deal with China isn't going anywhere (and that's how it should stay :angry: ). Chevy has their Daewoo Aveo, and Ford will have their new Fiesta, probably made in Thailand.

I agree, Nissans SUCK!!!!!!!!

Okay CMG, now tell us what you really think :rolleyes:

I'm never for two corporations, especially polar opposites, teaming up to do ANYTHING (about the extent of it would be something like the 6-speed auto done by GM/Ford, which is fine), particularly in this case. As much as the PC talk coming out is "they'll share a lot but be distinctive" think of it as something like the Saab 9-2X and Subaru Impreza. Separated by some styling details and a few refinements, but not much else. AND, in reality, Saab buyers wouldn't touch the "Saab" and the main people who did were Subaru buyers wooed by getting the same car but some nicer trim and huge rebates to make it cheaper.

As much of a non-success as things like the Titan have been in sales, just being 100% from the home brand is a factor that shouldn't be given up on. Trucks are dead, in a lot of ways, as it is, and selling anything that even has a hint of Chrysler at a Nissan dealer will not work. As for the small cars, that could help Chrysler, especially with typical Chrysler buyers attracted to the new character of cars that happen to have Chrysler fascias and badges, but not much else.

We'll see. I get the idea of teaming up in theory to work with one another on market aspects where one does well and the other doesn't, and vice verse, but it still does not work real world with real buyers, and just ends up in discussions later of "We'll never do that again."

Newark, DE has the Durango/Aspen plant running at a fraction of it's capacity. Their paint shop's newly refurbished and state-of-the-art. Why squander a resource by closing this plant, when your Nissan and your Chrysler are dying to get it on? Please don't even mention the UAW. It's a bit too gratuitous by now. In less than a year, they could hire new off of the street. :scratchchin:

Missinformation.