Toyota.vs.GM

UAW Local 31 goes on strike against the Malibu and Aura at the Fairfax plant

94 posts in this topic

This is one reason that I am proud of being non-union.

Chris

G.M. - hold on and break the Union this time. Lock them out. I bet there will be a line around the block for the jobs these people do not seem to want any more. These guys have it pretty good for what they do for a living, and the conditions on the line are safer and better than they ever were. This is a GLOBAL workforce now, to compete GLOBALLY, you have to be competitive in all aspects. Steel is steel, rubber is rubber - EVERYWHERE IT COSTS THE SAME. The only variable is labor. If these guys do not wake up to this fact soon, then there will not even be a job to strike from - then let's see what the Union does. They going to hire you and pay you? Show me one Union that ever took over a company it killed and ran it successfully and profitably after they forced management out. Show me! It has never happened and never will. Get over it or the jobs will be gone forever.

Has anyone ever wondered why U.S. companies manufacture OUTSIDE the U.S.A.? <_<

And the sound you hear is the other shoe dropping.

Again, I beg of you--how can this management team be allowed to continue?

You receive a record setting break from the Union in wages, benefits and buy-outs...then you leave a Peterbuilt-sized hole in the agreement by allowing the Locals to separately negotiate rules and other details.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

G.M. - hold on and break the Union this time. Lock them out. I bet there will be a line around the block for the jobs these people do not seem to want any more.

Bring on the Scabs!

Bring on the Scabs!

It isn't that easy...these people can't be replaced overnight and they know it.

This is one of the reasons that I bought a Toyota for my last new car purchase. I can't stomach the thought of my money going to UAW workers.

Chris

It isn't that easy...these people can't be replaced overnight and they know it.

Indeed, it is not an easy task, given that Unions do possess bigger muscle than they did way back when.

But it could be done.

The UAW are overstepping their limits. I would understand such actions if they were underpaid, overworked, and placed into very dangerous conditions on the basis that they work at their jobs. They should be taught to not take their well-paid, well-compensated jobs for granted. There are plenty of people out there who would enjoy to have the opportunities they have been given.

It is time that someone kicks the UAW, and the other greedy unions like them, down a notch and puts them back into their place.

Edited by YellowJacket894

It's about time GM started to promise new models to only UAW Locals who are willing to play ball with GM. There are Locals that are very hostile to GM and there are Locals that go the extra mile for GM, those that play ball, should be rewarded for their loyalty and their plants kept open. Those that don't, well those plants should be shut down. :twocents:

This year is going to be one bumpy ride. :nono:

The locals must be nuts to do this now. :stupid:

It's about time GM started to promise new models to only UAW Locals who are willing to play ball with GM. There are Locals that are very hostile to GM and there are Locals that go the extra mile for GM, those that play ball, should be rewarded for their loyalty and their plants kept open. Those that don't, well those plants should be shut down. :twocents:

Agreed 100 percent

I hear you. And guess what plant should be at the top of the list for their cooperation and givebacks?

WILMINGTON!

I hear you. And guess what plant should be at the top of the list for their cooperation and givebacks?

WILMINGTON!

Lou, you know my heart will always be with you and the people of the Wilmington Assembly plant, if I can change something for you I will! :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Lou, you know my heart will always be with you and the people of the Wilmington Assembly plant, if I can change something for you I will! :AH-HA_wink:

Well, by all means, change something for us! new product would be sweet :)

fusion - made in mexico. not ideal, but it seems to be working. because there is no strike. LOL

You know, I wouldn't be so anti-union if it was just simply about the wages. Everyone wants better wages - who wouldn't? Back when trade unions (and I am talking hundreds of years ago) first formed, they were all about pride in their work and passing their arts down, often to their own sons. When did that all stop? Where did "I won't do that because it is unsafe" give way to "I won't do that because it isn't in my contract?"

Personally, I hate the idea of trying to pigeon-hole people. Labor is, after all, about people. In this globalized economy, however, labor is being treated as just another commodity. I don't like it and I don't agree with it, but as long as Free Trade and world trade are the mantra of the moment, we all have to abide by that reality. The UAW has to accept this reality. If they were offering something like better productivity, more efficiency, better skills - anything, I would say they were worth it. They do not. It is all about me, me, me. Entitlement. Squeezing more in compensation from their employers, while all the while offering less in return.

Let's face it: it is human nature. There isn't one of us who wouldn't try to get away with coming in late, leaving early, taking more vacations, doing less at work while getting away with exorbitant pay hikes. The UAW (and unions in general) got away with that in the '70s and '80s. Has anyone told the UAW that their employers now have half the market share and 1/4 of the market capitalization that they once did?

It is times like this when I wonder why anyone would want to try and run any of the Big 2.5. Seriously. The tale wagged the dog for so many years can it ever change? How many jobs do GM and Ford have to send to Mexico, India, Korea or whever, until the UAW gets it. I feel for them, I really do. However, I don't know anyone (including me!) who is making what they were 5 years ago.

None of us like it, but suck it up! Let's work together to get our employers (our countries?) healthy again, then demand our due.

"It is in our favor that we make the Malibu," said C.J. Griffin, 50, of Gladstone, as other strikers nodded in agreement. "It's the company's number one car and I don't think GM can keep us idle for too long."

"Oooh! GM is finally making something people want to buy again. Now is the time for us to strike so we can ruin it for them and blame the failure on management!" says the ignorant UAW worker. "But at least our seniority rights will be protected until we force them to file bankruptcy!" shouts another.

Am I the only one that thinks its quite possible their turnaround would be further along had they filed for bankruptcy? :scratchchin::wacko:

I'm not anti-union at all. The unions have improved safety for all as well as pulled up wages for everybody. I am becoming more and more anti-UAW, though. The sense of entitlement is disgusting. The more generations you get into it, the worse it gets, too. You'll get third generation workers that have been on the job for less than 5 years that already feel GM/Ford/Chrysler owes them. Owes them for what? Doing a half assed, careless job on the days they actually manage to show up?

Edited by 2QuickZ's

I think management & labor share this turkey equally.

The UAW Local is flexing its muscle, perhaps inappropriately, but many locals felt the national leadership sold them out...

But you have to also ask the GM management how controlling these 'back-door' work actions weren't negotiated into the landmark labor agreement they struck?

Why did they do it at Fairfax? Is the new 'Bu made anywhere else? Damn-it do it to a hot-seller too you bastards.

Why did they do it at Fairfax? Is the new 'Bu made anywhere else? Damn-it do it to a hot-seller too you bastards.

The 'bu is made elsewhere (Lake Orion, MI), but they were having trouble keeping up with demand before this happened...This strike action is partially because the 'bu is built there.

I think management & labor share this turkey equally.

The UAW Local is flexing its muscle, perhaps inappropriately, but many locals felt the national leadership sold them out...

Then they should have voted against the national contract if they feel they were sold out on it.

But you have to also ask the GM management how controlling these 'back-door' work actions weren't negotiated into the landmark labor agreement they struck?
This is only my opinion but I would guess they decided that working certain items into the national contract would not fly with the UAW membership and could therefore result in a potentially long national strike. They know certain locals are more amenable to change than others and that they would rather deal with having a few of the more radical plants go on strike here and there rather than risk shutting down all of their U.S. production. Just a guess, though. It's just too bad Fairfax is one of the plants that chose to strike. It's like they want to cut off their nose to spite their face.

I think we may be heading for a summer of discontent all across America. With many unions there is a growing disconnect between the lifers who have a ton of seniority and feel they are untouchables, versus the newer recruits who realize how scary the real world is.

The unions are getting desperate, but rather than being part of the solution, they are becoming, more than ever, part of the problem.

Sort of like a cancer patient defiantly smoking MORE because they don't believe cancer is caused by cigarette smoking.

If a UAW Local try's to pull the same &#036;h&#33; with the Epsilon II Malibu, GM will simply be able to import them from Europe or South Korea with Epsilon II :smilewide: .

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor