Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarleyEarl

Retrospective

42 posts in this topic

1, 2, 3, 4 punch.

The 1970 1\2 Pontiac Firebird, the second generation. And what a generation it was.

They still look great.

basic70ng6.jpg

70espritzf2.jpg

formula400oc6.jpg

transam70wp2.jpg

Edited by HarleyEarl

A second-generation F-Body inspired design was heavily explored in the creation of the new Camaro.

clay-model-resized.JPG

camaroconcept143du7.jpg

However, it was ultimately rejected because it was felt that it followed the Mustang too closely.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Esprit is identical (exterior) to the base 'bird. Give me the Formula, then the T/A.

bigger fan of the understated formula's t/a's are nice but you can sneak under the radar a little easier with the formulas

Love that Formula 400. I'll take it!

Very cool. I think the Formula 400 would be the pick of the bunch for me.

And why the eff does nobody make those awesome double whitewall tires that are in like EVERY old ad from this era anymore? I would put those on all sorts of stuff if they were available!

A second-generation F-Body inspired design was heavily explored in the creation of the new Camaro.

clay-model-resized.JPG

camaroconcept143du7.jpg

However, it was ultimately rejected because it was felt that it followed the Mustang too closely.

Looks a lot like a 2-door Charger.

Gotta agree that the Formula is the top pick.

Very cool. I think the Formula 400 would be the pick of the bunch for me.

And why the eff does nobody make those awesome double whitewall tires that are in like EVERY old ad from this era anymore? I would put those on all sorts of stuff if they were available!

You can still get tires like that. Coker tires makes whitewall tires for just about ever classic, vintage, and antique car or truck out there.

Esprit is identical (exterior) to the base 'bird. Give me the Formula, then the T/A.

So agree.....I always loved the Formula 400, something about those two forward hood scoops.

(and Mr. B, you are getting some fine signature pics lately.....that caddy is beyond hot)

Yikes, guessing on that one, prolly wrong-o: John DeLorean? Larry Shinoda? Wayne Cherry?:huh:

I can't seem to find any info on line, who the designer was but Ocean those could be some possibles......when did DeLorean leave the General?

1970pontiacfirebirdmg2.jpg

Of course, Mitchell was head of styling in this period.

DeLorean wasn't a stylist per say- more of a visionary.

The designer of both the 1st & 2nd gen Camaro was Henry C Haga, head of Chevrolet Studio 2.

Haga also designed the '68 Corvette, helped productionize the '65 Corvair, and was instrumental in the '64 Chevy II Super Nova concept. --The Great Camaro

Jack Humbert did the 1st gen Firebird exterior. Humbert did the initial work on the 2nd gen 'bird before being promoted to head all Chevrolet & Pontiac design, and later, long-time Buick designer Bill Porter (he did the last Riviera) finished off the 'bird. The 2nd gen is a Humbert/Porter design. --Pontiac, They Built Excitement

Edited by balthazar

My pleasure.

I must have been thinking of Schinella not Shinoda. I remembered reading an interview with him about this car in one of the rags quite a while back.

Bill Mitchell was quoted as saying the first generation of the Camaro was designed by committee but the second became a designer's design.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room