Pontiac Gallery

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, I just realized, on that pukey green-yellow, jacked-up 4X4 sedan concept... it looks like an embryonic G6!

Indeed the REV concept was a preview at the replacement for the last generation Grand Am.

This is the REV concept here:

NyaPontiacREVConcept.jpg

CARmageddon286.jpg

The following images are of early proposals for the last-generation Grand Am replacement:

0banshee02ewsdc5.jpg

0banshee02fwrht7.jpg

Pontiac-G6_GT_2005_800x600_wallpaper_1c.

As you can see, what we now know as the G6 was initially intended to have the REV concept car's rear light band and a six-window DLO. Front fascias are totally different, with what are essentially the pre-Lutz designs having very squinty, aggressive headlamps and more chiseled grilles. There is also more (busier) side-sculpting in the pre-Lutz designs. The one thing that has stayed the same from REV concept to G6 has been the flowing beltline with the minor kick-up at the mirrors.

Pontiac-G6_GT_2005_800x600_wallpaper_1b.

I am loving this thread of Pontiacs of the past, but I am ever-hopeful for Pontiac's future.

Agreed.

0banshee02ewsdc5.jpg

I like the clay model front fascia here...it looks very agressive, and not dumpy like the G6's nose.

Indeed. I like it much better as well. But if you look at the Ron Aselton rendering, it would've had a front overhang to commit suicide over if it had kept it.

I'd say that my favorite design out of those initial G6 designs I posted has to be the pencil sketch above the rear 3/4 view rendering of the red design proposal, which would have been the real deal if Lutz didn't step in, I think (the designs of the red car you see in my earlier post, I mean). That pencil sketch has a better DLO and might have had a more pleasing variation of the rear light band you see on the REV and the rear 3/4 of the red G6 proposal judging by what I can see back there.

Edited by YellowJacket894

>>"I like the '59 too, and was it the first appearance of the classic split grill? I wonder what the story was behind the '60 deviating from it and then it was back on the '61 and then forever."<<

Pontiac underestimated the positive response to the '59 grille; '60s were all locked in- not enough time to get a split grille back on until '61.

>>"An interesting little thing about these {1970} Pontiacs, see those inboard round outlets beside headlights? I'm almost positive, those were actual horn grills!"<<

Well, the horns were NOT positioned right behind then, no. Sure; some of the horn's sound would go thru them (they were definately functional- Dad had a '70 Cat), but they were not neccessary for horn volume. I believe they were put there merely to break up some of the space between the headlights & grille.

>>"Pontiac Phantom 1973"<<

The Phantom was Mitchell's last 'showcar', but this was '77, not '73. His boss Howard Kerhl refused to allow it to be shown @ the '77 GM Director's show @ Milford- infuriating Mitchell. It's a 'pusher' on a GP chassis, still survives.

Well yeah, weren't they made from like '71-'77, or thereabouts? The RWD X-body Phoenix took its place after that until the disastrous (and ominous predictor of GM's decline into FWD junk peddling) '80 Phoenix came out in the Spring of '79.

I like the wheels on that 'Bird. You don't see that style much anymore. Does anyone know what you'd call these? Dish?

Pontiac called them Turbo wheels. They were on the 79 10th Anniversary cars in cast aluminum (shown) and on the 1981(?) Indy Pace cars painted white.

You guys KNOW I know what an X-body Ventura is, I wasn't questioning what it was, just why der borger bothered to post it. ;)

BTW- I always loved the Pontiac Turbo wheels- Pontiac may have the nicest historical catalog of wheels of all: 8-lugs (so yummy) and the stillborn Tempest 8-lug, Rallye Is & IIs, Snowflakes, Turbo wheels, many great-looking rims in the '80s & '90s...

Edited by balthazar

What's doubly weird about the Corsica/Tempest thing is, in the US Corsica's later years, it had the ribbed, Pontiac-style taillights used on the Canadian Tempest! I always found it so odd, I mean, ribbed tails were a clear Pontiac trait for so many years... a really transparent, cost-cutting move by GM.

Daddy, Why is that Lumina wearing Tempest badging?

You mean Corsica, by the way the Wilmington plant made this car and did so for many, many years.

Wait until Pontiac gets that swell G3 that was just approved by the Federal Government for importation to the USA. :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

the AM/FM cassette stereo plays nothing but Barry Manillow singles in a constant loop

This one's for you, whevere you are / I can't smile without you, I can't laugh and I can't sing, finding it hard to do anything / At the Copa, Copacabana / Even now I think about her / We dreamers have our ways of facing rainy days, but somehow we survive / When I wanted you I needed you / Oh Mandy, well you came and you saw / And when October goes / I been up, down, tryin' to get the feeling again all around / Looks like we made it / And I'm ready to take a chance again, ready to / I am music and I write the songs / When will our eyes meet? When will I see you again? / And maybe the old songs will bring back the old times / And like a good neighbor, State Farm is there :blink:

Ribbed side moldings add 14.3 horsepower. But seriously, even through the darkest days, some things have stayed consistent with Pontiac design, sometimes executed weakly, yes, but always there.