So long, Irene

Thursday morning, as the sun was rising, you were setting.

You never acted your age. You wrote the book on growing old gracefully. Though it was only your body that grew old. I don't think your mind was ever past 40.

You were more modern and in-tune than people half your age. A gay grandson wasn't even remotely an issue for you. What a pleasant surprise it was to have an 80-something grandma ask about boyfriends. Pretty great for an old farm girl.

Thursday morning, with a son and daughter at your side, your heart decided it was time to go. For the first time ever, you won't be in your chair watching those damn Reds or the godforsaken Bengals when I walk into your house. A constant is gone forever.

We'll never forget of course. I'll always be able to hear your trademark laugh.

So long, Irene.

Irene Doane

September 10, 1916 - July 3, 2008

[i'm not really sure why I wrote this...just an outlet I guess. No need for

lots of "im sorry" or prayers since this is really OK. Congestive heart failure

is not kind...this is not the worst thing that's ever happened to her.]

So nicely put & heartfelt, CD; the camera was turned around on you this time.

So many of this generation going home these days- care to tell a bit about what she did work/hobby-wise, esp earlier on? There's always aspects worthy of admiration, even for a stranger, for the times they went thru and the differences they saw. RIP, ID.

My condolences. I lost my grandfather last October... it was harder for me to deal with that because he was the last living grandparent I had... Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I'll admit, I read the title and thought you were posting about the song.

It's amazing how close grandparents can be, isn't it? I'm so glad she was supportive of you Chris, it must have felt amazing. :)

It's amazing how close grandparents can be, isn't it?

*nods*

Yes.

I was very close to my grandmother on Mom's side of the family. A die-hard Cubs fan and very supportive of all of her grandkids. I went to their house every Wednesday after school...then went over every Friday afternoon once I got to middle school. She died in October 2002, just before I found out I had to have another open heart surgery....

Chris...sorry for your loss. Great post, though. I'm glad you shared that with us. Thoughts/prayers coming to you and your family....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My time here is over" ... Patty Loveless ... 'How Can I Help You Say Goodbye?'

Thanks guys

I, along my with brothers, dad, uncle and cousin carried her out of the funeral and to the grave site today. Never had that experience before...hopefully won't again anytime soon. The whole thing certainly made me realize that open casket services really aren't a good idea. The woman in the casket certainly did not look like the woman I remember.

On the brighter side, my grandma sure impacted a lot of people's lives in a great way. Heard about that from so many people. My mom read a piece at the funeral today called "Brighten the Corner Where You Are" by Helen Steiner Rice. That's exactly what Irene did.

Brighten The Corner Where You Are

We cannot all be famous or be listed in "Who's Who,"

But every person, great or small, has important work to do,

For seldom do we realize the importance of small deeds

Or to what degree of greatness unnoticed kindness leads.

For it's not the big celebrity in a world of fame and praise,

But it's doing unpretentiously in undistinguished way.

The work that God assigned to us, unimportant as it seems,

That makes our task outstanding and brings reality to dreams.

So do not sit and idly wish for wider, new dimensions

Where you can put into practice your many good intentions.

But at the spot God placed you begin at once to do

Little things to brighten up the lives surrounding you.

If everybody brightened up the spot where they're standing

By being more considerate and a little less demanding,

This dark old world would very soon eclipse the evening star

If everybody brightened up the corner where they are!

~Helen Steiner Rice~