Now is a great time to buy a gas guzzler

RBB

A used one, anyway - I haven't figured up savings and incentives on new vehicles.

According to this article, the resale value of a Chevy Tahoe has dropped by 17% in the last year. Assuming the for-sale price of a used has dropped a similar amount, that extra money buys a lot of gas.

A used Tahoe that was $40K last year, according to those numbers, would now cost $33,200. Let's compare that number to purchasing a Lexus RX400h. They're currently selling used for what a Tahoe would have cost last year, about $40K. The Tahoe gets about 17 combined city/highway MPG. The Lexus, 29 MPG combined.

Let's say gas remains stable at $4.29/gal (a big assumption, I know). If you drove 15k miles a year, you're paying the following:

15K miles @ $4.25 /gal:

Tahoe - 882.4 gals of gas = $3750.20

RX400h - 517.24 gals of ga = 2198.27

Lexus savings = $1551.93/year

At that rate, it would take 4 years and three months to recoup the $6800 difference in the two vehicles - assuming you paid cash and did not finance the difference, in which case it would take even longer.

This is admittedly a little simplistic, but I think it gets the idea across. Some are dumping their SUVs for pittances and paying over list for hybrids. While it's nice to have a smaller environmental impact, if they're doing this because gas prices are so high, then they're likely coming out worse in the long run.

-RBB

I've been considering a used Tahoe (00-02) or a Trailblazer (02-04) so that I can keep my small cars for daily driving, and use to Tahoe/TB for vacations/family trips and trips to sam's club and such....

A co worker just picked up a 2004 TB w/ 46k for 6300 beacuse the guy couldn't afford the gas anymore....

I think one should just buy what you grabs your attention and fits your needs. Gas is still a relative bargain compared with most markets in the world and relative to what it cost way back in the early days of the automobile, taking in account the changing value of the dollar, inflation, wages etc. It was much more expensive then.

So enjoy. Don't compromise.

I think one should just buy what you grabs your attention and fits your needs. Gas is still a relative bargain compared with most markets in the world and relative to what it cost way back in the early days of the automobile, taking in account the changing value of the dollar, inflation, wages etc. It was much more expensive then.

So enjoy. Don't compromise.

Well, as long as you don't commute in it, I would agree...

Nothing wrong with a Tahoe but I'm hoping to own another V8 2dr hardtop by week's end.

VIN starts with a W. :smilewide:

Edited by Sixty8panther

Well, I've been looking online (autoshopper.com, autotrader.com, cars.com) at early '90s GMC Yukons & Sierras and the prices have yet to reflect what the economy is going through in my area. I need a truck that can handle once-a-week trips to BJ's Wholesale Club for many cases of beverages and snacks that I sell in my School Store; with the Envoy gone, I'm quite certain that the AURA and G6 each aren't up to the task :lol: I've even started looking at mid-to-late '90s GMC Sonomas, but their prices aren't any better. Of course I haven't found the "one" yet, which would allow me to hassle & haggle the price down I'm sure. But if the marketplace is being flooded by trucks & SUVs dealers can't get rid of, then they need to start looking at the prices they're charging for these used vehicles and bring them down to realistic levels (trucks & SUVs are not the "hot" item anymore).

what is ridiculous about so many people's situation is that their monthy gas bill is greater than their car payment is, even for some small vehicles.

another bent, i can run electricity for my house in summer including A/C for 1/3 of what my gas bill is. Again, highlighting how out of whack gas prices have become.

at the dealer the other day they had a nice simple F-150 6 cylinder/5 speed manual that that sort of truck i have always wanted (simple and basic). it was 7k off sticker and was priced new for 14 grand. but a quick calc, gas was gonna out spend my truck payment. I don't want that. That's just wrong.

Edited by regfootball

I wish I had $3800 burning a hole in my pocket.... I could buy a certain '62 Cadillac 6-window hardtop on CL.

or, better yet that '38 Chevy Master Deluxe barn find. :D

what is ridiculous about so many people's situation is that their monthy gas bill is greater than their car payment is, even for some small vehicles.

another bent, i can run electricity for my house in summer including A/C for 1/3 of what my gas bill is. Again, highlighting how out of whack gas prices have become.

at the dealer the other day they had a nice simple F-150 6 cylinder/5 speed manual that that sort of truck i have always wanted (simple and basic). it was 7k off sticker and was priced new for 14 grand. but a quick calc, gas was gonna out spend my truck payment. I don't want that. That's just wrong.

My summer monthly electric bill w/ A/C is almost what my car payment was (electric was $425 this month, Jeep payment was $500/month in '00-05). My gas bill has been $75/week this month.

One of my coworkers just bought a 2000 Escalade in showroom condition with only 30,000 miles for $8500. It has a tasteful body kit on it, HID conversion, custom dual exhaust, custom intake, brand new 24-inch rims and tires with the stickers still on them along with the stock wheels and tires, monitors in the headrests and flip-downs from the ceiling, and a system with enough speakers and bass to liquify any surrounding wildlife. I'm normally not into that stuff, but this thing is cool. Another coworker, upon seeing this, is now looking for a Navigator for himself. A friend of a friend just picked up a showroom condition 2002 Expedition with 35,000 miles for $3200. If you've got a couple bucks in your pocket right now, you'll be in the driver's seat for pennies on the dollar!

I'm trying to help mom find a nice used Avalanche to replace the Aurora.

That would actually be a nice choice. Too bad you sold yours a few months ago.

Good luck and post some pics if you buy one...

Chris

One of my coworkers just bought a 2000 Escalade in showroom condition with only 30,000 miles for $8500. It has a tasteful body kit on it, HID conversion, custom dual exhaust, custom intake, brand new 24-inch rims and tires with the stickers still on them along with the stock wheels and tires, monitors in the headrests and flip-downs from the ceiling, and a system with enough speakers and bass to liquify any surrounding wildlife. I'm normally not into that stuff, but this thing is cool. Another coworker, upon seeing this, is now looking for a Navigator for himself. A friend of a friend just picked up a showroom condition 2002 Expedition with 35,000 miles for $3200. If you've got a couple bucks in your pocket right now, you'll be in the driver's seat for pennies on the dollar!

What is weird is contractors around here are buying these and using them. I still freak every time I see an Escalade full of Hispanics pulling a trailer full of mowers or with a ladder rack.

Chris

what this about PCS ucfking sheep?! :blink: