ocnblu

Here, Spot! Good Boy...

121 posts in this topic

Yup, it's August... the "dog days" of summer. What have you seen out on the roads?

This afternoon on the way home from a BBQ at my bro's house, I stopped at his local Chevy/Buick/Pontiac store. Aside from the really cool Stryker Blue '09 G8 GT they had, they also had 3 '09 Delta cars, two Cobalts and a G5... the Pontiac in Silver Green, a color I've been wanting to see for months. I feared there'd be too much blue in it, making it a sort of sickly teal color, but my fears were unfounded, imo. It's a goodlooking color, imo, and dark enough to show off the chrome exterior trim package that's available on Cobalts.

For the last few weeks, I've been thinking an '09 Cobalt:

2LT (which sadly is automatic-only in '09, but I want the rest of the 2LT package, so...)

R13 chrome package (grille, door handles, exhaust tip and foglamps)

Pioneer stereo

leather wheel

and maybe a sunroof

in Silver Moss with Ebony cloth.

A short list of modifications: tinted windows and a 1" drop, courtesy of Eibach.

The 2.2 VVT is rated at 24/33 with automatic, which is fine with me, I don't want those hard "economical" tires and crappy gearing of the 36 mpg cars.

Edited by ocnblu

Hold out for an SS. You know you want to.

Oh, and I saw a black G8 nearly taken off the road by a Lucerne one minute then by a rogue Wrangler the next minute.

Edited by Satty

I passed by a 1975 Chevy Caprice Estate station wagon on the way home from picking up a pizza order today; it looked very similar to this, and it was for sale:

1975CapriceEstateWagon.jpg

You left out the part about you buying it.

Wife: "Umm, did Clark Griswold move in next door?"

Me: "Oh yeah, about that..."

Wife: "Hmm... well at least it's big enough for you to live in!"

Me: :wacko:

Looking at pictures online, it may be a '75 (round headlights) or it may be a '76 (square headlights). I passed by it pretty quickly and at first thought it was a Malibu wagon like Camino's. It was when I saw the frontend that I realized it was bigger and a Caprice model (it even had the wood panel wallpaper on it). It is on a route I can take to & from work, so maybe I will stop by to check it out a little more, and even get a picture or two in the process :AH-HA_wink:

Well, that could be possible if GM would be open-minded and bring the Holden SportWagon over here to N/A as the Pontiac G8 SportWagon ASAP :AH-HA_wink:

Ford Flex (I turned to watch it pass- definately unique in proportion).

Saturn Astra 2-dr.

Jaguar XF: followed a few miles; from the rear:

Fake taillight segments on the trunklid (do not light with either brakes or signals),

Trunk seam was huge at the bottom (no; it was NOT ajar)- could see inner panel easily (and from the cab of a 2500HD).

Exhaust tips are trapezoid, but the circular pipes leading into them are clearly visible- looks very cheap.

Name on rear almost impossible to read- very lightly stamped into the chromed plastic horizontal on the trunklid.

No design 'language'- most will have no idea what it is (esp with vague ID).

Profile is generic / derivative.

Otherwise it looked pretty nice and sat right, but as usual, the details are lacking. At least the lenses aren't held on with visible screws anymore.

Well, that could be possible if GM would be open-minded and bring the Holden SportWagon over here to N/A as the Pontiac G8 SportWagon ASAP :AH-HA_wink:

Or you could buy the 9-3 SportCombi, or the 9-5 wagon. The Astra would probably count, too. Isn't there a CTS wagon coming soon, too?

Brand spankin new red 5dr Astra!

Wait for sure? You didn't ditch that beautiful Camaro, though, right?

Wait for sure? You didn't ditch that beautiful Camaro, though, right?

Hehe... you've been picking up on my comments about the Astra, but it wasn't mine. I saw it while driving home from playing soccer in Seal Beach. Regardless, the Camaro won't be going anywhere when I get something new.

Hehe... you've been picking up on my comments about the Astra, but it wasn't mine. I saw it while driving home from playing soccer in Seal Beach. Regardless, the Camaro won't be going anywhere when I get something new.

OK good! I like that philosophy. BTW I'll be back in LA within a few days.

Or you could buy the 9-3 SportCombi, or the 9-5 wagon. The Astra would probably count, too. Isn't there a CTS wagon coming soon, too?

All out of my intended price range (I'm sure the CTS wagon will be too). Not that the G8 SportWagon would have been cheaper than $30k, but I am figuring that by November of 2009 I won't want to spend more than $32k for a new car or truck. I have to find a way to save up some extra cash for a good deposit; however, with our current financial situation, there isn't much available now to put aside.

Just saw a beautiful 2008 white Ferrari F430 at a restaurante in the hood near me. Breathtaking.

Edited by HarleyEarl

Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. Looked just like my car, only with in tact wood-grain and goo rear shocks.

Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. Looked just like my car, only with in tact wood-grain and goo rear shocks.

Saw the Caprice version yesterday. It was obviously just rescued from being parked for a long time. The car had brand new tires and had just been washed - but you could see the very thick coating of dirt here and there where they missed with the sponge. You know, that crud that collects on a disused car under a tarp or a tree for a long time.

Did my heart good to see it back on the road.

I wouldn't bother with the Chrome package... it isn't durable and doesn't stand up well.

Was over my buddy's house today - he has a

'56 Bel Air 2-dr hardtop, 350, white over black, decent driver,

'67 Malibu 2-dr hardtop, 350, black (vinyl) over blue, solid, needs everything,

'71 Monte Carlo hardtop, 402, black (vinyl) over white, show condition,

'02 Camaro SS convert, 350, burnt orange, mint,

'08 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.3, light grey.

He has some sort of Chevy disease, but he's still my bud.

Edited by balthazar

vonVee, before I took delivery of my Sierra, I paid the dealership to install chrome mirror caps and door handles out of the GM Accessory catalog. So far, knock on wood, they've held up perfectly.

Spot: a late-model Silhouette van in beige (totally invisible, right?) with a pair of loud, misaligned tailpipes sticking straight out under the rear bumper.:huh:

vonVee, before I took delivery of my Sierra, I paid the dealership to install chrome mirror caps and door handles out of the GM Accessory catalog. So far, knock on wood, they've held up perfectly.

Spot: a late-model Silhouette van in beige (totally invisible, right?) with a pair of loud, misaligned tailpipes sticking straight out under the rear bumper.:huh:

I saw a 1932 Cadillac V16 Roadster yesterday...

Oh, and Ocn, I can't speak for the mirror caps but all the chrome grilled Cobalts up here of a significant age (05/06) the chrome has faded down to the plastic.

I drove by the Caprice wagon yesterday (forgot my camera, and did it again today - sorry!) and it is definitely a 1975 model (round headligths in the square setting). It does have the wood panel wallpaper, and driving by in traffic it looked to be a brown or rust color. It is for sale, so if anyone is looking for such a wagon let me know so I can stop and get the number for you.

I drove by the Caprice wagon yesterday (forgot my camera, and did it again today - sorry!) and it is definitely a 1975 model (round headligths in the square setting). It does have the wood panel wallpaper, and driving by in traffic it looked to be a brown or rust color. It is for sale, so if anyone is looking for such a wagon let me know so I can stop and get the number for you.

Cort's new winter beater?

I just got back from a cruise to Bermuda. 8)

Down there I saw a lot of Opels, Renaults, a few VW Polos, the international Ford Ranger... and a BMW 118i hatch or two. :thumbsup:

Edited by Lamar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor