Here, Spot! Good Boy...

ocnblu

I saw an early '50s Packard 4dr sedan on the freeway earlier this evening. Black, goregous condition. Shocking to see a car that old in traffic...rolling along smoothly at about 60.. looking at pics online, I think it was a 53 Patrician..coming up beside it from a distance, it took a while to figure out what it was..

A few miles down on the 10, the traffic was all backed up...someone had wedged a Z4 roadster under the rear bumper of a bright yellow raised F350 Super Duty crew cab bloat beast. Ouch.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning I saw an AMC Hornet wagon. Been ages since I saw one of these.

This one was one of the later versions with the Spirit/Eagle styling but was not an Eagle.

I think the early versions were called "Sportabout"(or something like that) but I can't remember what the later ones might have been called.

EDIT:

I just remebered what they changed the name to - Concord.

Here's a pic of a Sportabout:

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/pictur..._Sportabout.jpg

I couldn't find a good pic of the Concord wagon that shows how much uglier it is than a Sportabout. It is mostly bad bumpers, bad grille, and bad lighting - otherwise the styling is mostly the same. The one I saw this morning was definitely a Concord wagon.

These later morphed into the Eagle AWD wagon.

Today I saw a new Lincoln MK S and have to retract anything I may have said or thought in the negative. This is a very nice looking car in the flesh, up close. This is one of those times I got thoroughly influenced by a road test I read. They were very unkind to this car and it's styling. I now disagree completely.

While in "enemy territory" (Wilmington, DE) today, I saw a white smart with a screen-print paint job advertising something. Shortly after that, a black Challenger SRT-8 passed by and it had a thunderous exhaust note. Heading up I-95 into Philadelphia, I spotted a Buick Allure from Ontario being piloted by a troupe of silver-haired ladies. And heading home on I-95 south of Baltimore, I noticed a Nissan X-Trail from Ontario.

This morning alone:

-59 El Camino

-green and black Caprice wagon, lowered

-A Z gathering, mostly 240-260Zs

-old U-Boat Cougar

-last of the DEW Cougars

-some prewar car, I don't know make to model too well.

New car spottings:

Saw my first Ford Flex the other day...it's much bigger in person than it looks in photos

I'm seeing a lot more new Malibus. Yesterday I saw a black LTZ that looks like one in the photo below. That car has a great stance, just like the CTS (tail end up in the air just a little). Also, I love how the trunk tapers off; it gives the car a pretty sexy shape

2008-chevrolet-malibu-01.jpg

I saw my first G8 on the road as well

Old car spottings:

1963 Chevy Bel Air

1958 Ferrari 250 GT

1974 Buick Electra

1980 Mercedes 350SL convertible

1965 Mustang GT

1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Early 70s Dodge Monaco

1977 Corvette

Edited by mustang84

New car spottings:

Saw my first Ford Flex the other day...it's much bigger in person than it looks in photos

I'm seeing a lot more new Malibus. Yesterday I saw a black LTZ that looks like one in the photo below. That car has a great stance, just like the CTS (tail end up in the air just a little). Also, I love how the trunk tapers off; it gives the car a pretty sexy shape

Yeah, one of the best view angles IMHO of the Malibu is the rear 3/4 from the side..I like the C-pillar and quarter panel shape..

Edited by moltar

Well it is a beautiful warm summer evening and down in the trendy area there was some sort of happening, there were countless new Ferraris, Lambos, Aston Martins, Rolls Royce etc. parked along the curb. Phewww, I feel lightheaded, sensory overload. It was one of those perfect summer evenings, beautiful cars, man, it's great to be alive.

Well it is a beautiful warm summer evening and down in the trendy area there was some sort of happening, there were countless new Ferraris, Lambos, Aston Martins, Rolls Royce etc. parked along the curb. Phewww, I feel lightheaded, sensory overload. It was one of those perfect summer evenings, beautiful cars, man, it's great to be alive.

I take it the drivers of those cars are all Flames season ticket holders?

The Flex seems to be rather popular in Wilmington and Delaware County, PA. I saw quite a few while there.

Also, an Ignition Orange G8 GT drove up my street earlier today. It looked absolutely fantastic. Appeared to be a retail sale, too, given the presence of the local BPG dealer's license plate frame over the rear plate.

Well with all the rain around here, it's been kind of a lame month for car spotting. However, I did see something yesterday that brought back a ton of memories of my grade school days: an early 1960's International Loadstar BOOKMOBILE! I couldn't believe it! I was driving down the highway and came up on a big two-tone yellow and orange box; when I pulled around the side, I saw the black lettering that proudly read "LIBRARY ON WHEELS," clearly hand-painted and nicely faded just like the rest of the truck. I have no idea who owned it or if it was still in service, but I would give anything to have an old bookmobile like that, in exactly that condition. Don't ask me why, I just think they're cool.

Today I saw a new Lincoln MK S and have to retract anything I may have said or thought in the negative. This is a very nice looking car in the flesh, up close. This is one of those times I got thoroughly influenced by a road test I read. They were very unkind to this car and it's styling. I now disagree completely.

I too like the styling of the new Lincoln MKS, all but the taillights/rear (look too foreign-designed for my tastes). But it's still a nice design overall regardless. I'm now seeing them on the roads in southern NJ more too.

Speaking of trailers, last week, I saw a polished Airstream trailer, with LED tailllights!! I guess they're back to selling them (or never left). I just found seeing one funny since that rounded "streamlined" shape is very 40s or 50s, whenever that look came about.

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/pictur..._Sportabout.jpg

I couldn't find a good pic of the Concord wagon that shows how much uglier it is than a Sportabout. It is mostly bad bumpers, bad grille, and bad lighting - otherwise the styling is mostly the same. The one I saw this morning was definitely a Concord wagon.

These later morphed into the Eagle AWD wagon.

Like this?

amc_concord_wagon_sport_yellow_1978.jpg

amc_concord_wagon_dl_package_1978_w.jpg

I actually prefere the '78 Concord's styling the the Hornet's and the later model Concord/Eagles'.

Anyway, I saw:

White 1965(?) Impala 4-door

Light blue w/ gray roof 1978 Dodge Magnum

I've seen Maximas at the dealership, but not on the road.

I noticed a few things in the parking lot today

2008 CTS parked at the far end of the lot, far far away from any other cars.

FJ Cruiser, also parked far away from anything else.

Recently purchased Tundra, still had the sticker in the window.

PT Cruiser vert

Mini Clubman (I've seen it before, its just so cool)

HHR SS

Good spotting around here today. I followed a new Challenger with dealer plates as it carved its way through the traffic of lesser cars. I then saw a pristine '74 El Camino Classic cruising around, followed soon after by a Lincoln MarkIII.

Saw them all in one trip.

Oh yeah, and another crappy little Smart - I'm seeing way to many of these things weaving down the road like so much windblown litter.

I saw a Taurus X on Monday... it looked a lot more like an SUV than it did a wagon/CUV... I had no idea it was going to be that high.

EDIT: My bad. It is a crossover.

So, uh, HOW MANY OF THESE SUV/CUV'S DOES FORD NEED!?

Edited by Paolino

Saw a '71-72 Mercury Grand Marquis 4dr ht...dark red, looked solid, missing the hubcaps, towing a flatbed trailer. Very unusual to see a vintage land yacht in traffic..

Also saw an HHR panel in traffic for the first time...surprising, it has a badge on the rear that says 'panel' as if it's not obvious what it is..neat little vanlet.

Edited by moltar

At lunch today, came back down an unfamiliar side street..saw a mid '80s Omni GLH--black, Shelby decal across the windshield, the 'bowling ball with a lot of holes' wheels....in good shape with all it's Big 80s kitschy charm. In the driveway across the street was a clean lt blue-green late '70s Lincoln Continental coupe.

Test-drove an '09 HHR 1LT last evening, 2.2L/auto, in Aqua Blue with tan cloth. They are included in the Employee Pricing deal. I love the color, but I'd choose one with black interior, a 2LT with 5-speed. Anyway, I found it to be very comfortable, smooth and quiet. I can see why these are so popular. And it looks American, a Chevrolet attribute I find familiar, attractive and comforting. But the new Cruze will change all that. Chevrolet is turning into a foreign car... unthinkable.

I've seen a lot that I haven't seen in a while (or was interesting) today:

-one of those 89-90 2-dr. Tercels

-a postwar car, looked like a choptop 49 Mercury, but bigger.

-Dodge Dart 4-door, about a 74

-A5 GTI, dropped onto mesh wheels tucked under the fender, very racy.

-Galaxie 500 convertible

-2+2 240Z

-66sh Caddy convertible

-72ish Sedan deVille

-64 Grand Prix

Edited by LosAngeles

'09 Focus SES sedan at local dealer. Apparently, the sedan doesn't share the coupe's gaping maw front bumper or roof spoiler (bumper same as '08, but no fender vents, and it comes with decklid spoiler), but the new dark multi-spoke rims are wicked. Now I can't wait to see the SES coupe. I imagine it will be hawt in black/black leather, with the dark trim. And 35 mpg!

From the 'cars that don't seem to exist anymore and you haven't seen in decades' file, I saw what I think was a '79-80 Chrysler Newport or '80-81 Plymouth Gran Fury. I haven't seen a R-body up close in decades.... I was out front of my house and saw it zip by the end of the street, 5 houses away...just a quick glimpse of a big old seemingly extinct car...