Spy Shots: 2010 Cadillac SRX caught in full glory

BigPontiac

Theta platform with aluminum suspension. It is nothing special and the engine is mounted the wrong way for a Cadillac.

Don't be surprised if the Escalade replacement is on Lambda. Cadillac by 2015 could by two RWD sedans (CTS and Alpha) and two FWD/AWD crossovers (SRX, Escalade replacement).

Well Cadillac has far less money than BMW. The XLR is rumored to be done after 2011 or so, and they weren't going to do one based off the C7 Corvette. STS and DTS are dying in 2010 with no replacement. So it's CTS sedan/coupe/wagon, SRX, Escalade and an Alpha car.

a theta based small crossover like this with little breakthrough in style is going to sell for 30k and that's about it. this won't be able to compete with BMW on visual flair nor cachet, so even X3 will find more favor amongst the crowd this is going after. Families will find themselves left with just Escalade [too big, pricey]. so who will this draw in? if the youthful urbanites are more attracted to flash in the X3 [3.0I model is the one I'm referring to for all the naysayers about to jump in and say its unattractive] and the FX and EX...who will this very traditionally shaped, unimaginatively designed cute ute appeal to. that's my biggest problem, the design just isn't breaking any ground, and is very very feminine, which isn't really where the rest of this market is going, even the upcoming GLK has a more rakish masculine roofline than this flowing womanly thing.

Edited by turbo200

a theta based small crossover like this with little breakthrough in style is going to sell for 30k and that's about it.

$30k is more upper end of the Equinox/Vue, I think...I assume the SRX will priced like the current SRX...it will be interesting to see how it competes, though... I don't see this SRX competing with more powerful V8 equipped models like the FX, X5, and ML...or will Cadillac not be aiming at them anymore ---that is where the current SRX was aimed, I thought... is the new SRX instead aimed at the sub $50k entry-lux market like the X3, GLK, RX, MDX, and MKX are?

Edited by moltar

$30k is more upper end of the Equinox/Vue, I think...I assume the SRX will priced like the current SRX...it will be interesting to see how it competes, though... I don't see this SRX competing with more powerful V8 equipped models like the FX, X5, and ML...or will Cadillac not be aiming at them anymore ---that is where the current SRX was aimed, I thought... is the new SRX instead aimed at the sub $50k entry-lux market like the X3, GLK, RX, MDX, and MKX are?

nm.. re-read your post, The theta platform doesn't compete in size to the RX ro MDX. They are bigger. Agreed on MKX, X3, and GLK.

Edited by SingleStylish

The SRX/BRX (whatever it is called) is on a significantly different platform from the Vue. How much different are the TL and Accord?

I believe it is a perfect comparison. The TL and Accord share the same platform but the TL recieves what the Accord cannot afford. Upgraded suspension, AWD, a better interior, more acoustical work, etc. This Vue will undoubtedly be the same. What is shameful is that I placed Cadillac as better than that. I don't cut slack for MB either with their thinly guised Jeep.

Theta platform with aluminum suspension. It is nothing special and the engine is mounted the wrong way for a Cadillac.

Why is it called Theta Epsilon if it is just an aluminum Theta platform? It would be called "Theta Premium" or something like that if it was just an aluminum Theta.

Why is it called Theta Epsilon if it is just an aluminum Theta platform? It would be called "Theta Premium" or something like that if it was just an aluminum Theta.

Theta Epsilon and Theta Premium are names that have bounced around the internets, but who (outside of GM) knows the reality of what the platform is called, or what is distinct about it? Unibody, 4 wheel IRS, FWD, AWD...

It it called Theta premium by some, the platform is steel or whatever the Thetas are, but the suspension components are aluminum like the CTS. Epsilon is a platform for $20,000 mediocre sedans, what there is any good for a Cadiallc SUV.

The SRX is moving down market, I predict a $36-48k price, against the MKX and RX350.

It it called Theta premium by some, the platform is steel or whatever the Thetas are, but the suspension components are aluminum like the CTS. Epsilon is a platform for $20,000 mediocre sedans, what there is any good for a Cadiallc SUV.

The SRX is moving down market, I predict a $36-48k price, against the MKX and RX350.

How do you know this?

And it's Epsilon II, not I. We don't know how good EPII is yet. The RX gets by on a (correct me if I'm wrong) Camry-derived platform. I think the SRX will be fine on TE.

How do you know this?

And it's Epsilon II, not I. We don't know how good EPII is yet. The RX gets by on a (correct me if I'm wrong) Camry-derived platform. I think the SRX will be fine on TE.

For the type of people that buy those kinds of crossovers, they won't know the difference and it will do fine. I'd like to see Cadillac more than just a Acura/Lincoln/Lexus imitator that dresses up a mainstream car and calls it entry luxury and more like BMW or Mercedes.

For the type of people that buy those kinds of crossovers, they won't know the difference and it will do fine. I'd like to see Cadillac more than just a Acura/Lincoln/Lexus imitator that dresses up a mainstream car and calls it entry luxury and more like BMW or Mercedes.

Isn't that what they did with the current SRX, and it like, totally sucked saleswise, despite winning all sorts of accolades from the automotive press? It had the handling, the performance, and the looks; sure the interior wasn't too great until recently, but it definitely could go head-to-head with the Mercedes, and BMW crowd.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Isn't that what they did with the current SRX, and it like, totally sucked saleswise, despite winning all sorts of accolades from the automotive press? It had the handling, the performance, and the looks; sure the interior wasn't too great until recently, but it definitely could go head-to-head with the Mercedes, and BMW crowd.

The current SRX's problem was not capability. The problem was that it looked like a CTS wagon. No one in the market for a sport SUV is going to buy a wagon.

I don't see why Saturn as a premium brand couldn't offer what this vehicle will have. Cadillac was to have unique platforms and styling and as a result it would be one of its strongest selling points. What prevented Cadillac from doing an RX if that was there intention off of Sigma? The only thing I can think is that the decision was made to ax the sigma platform after CTS development reached critical mass and SRX was still up in the air. Either way, I guess the thing most upsetting about this vehicle is that it is a dent in the armor that shows that development money at GM is tight. After all that is how Nissan ended up with a Murano and FX.