I'm close to a decision

Camino LS6

I have been so disgusted by the garbage coming from both major parties (even here in our own political threads), that I believe that I will most likely return to my long-established pattern of voting Libertarian this year.

Last time I voted for Kerry (whom I don't like) just because I felt that "W" was such a rotten SOB that we needed to be rid of him at all costs - it was the only time that I have ever voted major party.

I just feel that all rationality has evaporated in the shrill partisan bleatings from the dems and the repubs, which leaves me hating the idea of endorsing either with my vote.

Not yet an absolute decision, but very,very, close.

I have been so disgusted by the garbage coming from both major parties (even here in our own political threads), that I believe that I will most likely return to my long-established pattern of voting Libertarian this year.

Last time I voted for Kerry (whom I don't like) just because I felt that "W" was such a rotten SOB that we needed to be rid of him at all costs - it was the only time that I have ever voted major party.

I just feel that all rationality has evaporated in the shrill partisan bleatings from the dems and the repubs, which leaves me hating the idea of endorsing either with my vote.

Not yet an absolute decision, but very,very, close.

Well voting Libertarian is like placing your vote in the toilet and flushing it out to sea. But it's yours to flush, I suppose.

Well voting Libertarian is like placing your vote in the toilet and flushing it out to sea. But it's yours to flush, I suppose.

So is voting republican in a state that is for sure going to be democratic, or vice versa. At the very least, it's better than not voting at all, even if it has the same effect.

The level of political polarization has been increasing tremendously over the past 20 years. I'm amazed that we don't yet have a significant 3rd party to address the vast middle of America that is more fiscally conservative but also more socially liberal. Part of the problem is that the candidates the other parties end up with tend to be borderline wacko. That's not always true, but I think it is more often than not.

The political system has also been rigged to favor both the republican and democtratic parties and that makes it very difficult for a 3rd party to grow. That and the fact the the vast majority of people don't seem to realize that they are allowed to abandon the established parites and actually vote for a different party.

I used to be pretty involved in politics, but the more I saw the more I realized that I wasn't cut out for it. I truly think that both major parties are more concerned with winning than with what is good for the country and until the majority of voters also realize this, nothing is going to change.

I agree with the Toyopet Camry driver,that scares me... :blink: Teh Riecr Civci is right.

Obama vs. McCain Matching Scores

1. John McCain

77.30% match on issues.

2. Barack Obama

70.28% match on issues.

BS

It is never a waste to vote for what you truly believe in.

If the whole body of the electorate actually did that, the traditional parties would suffer an embarassing defeat.

We've known for ages that both major parties are full of crap, yet we are too lazy and apathetic to do anything about it. So, they remain full of crap.

Real change requires a third party.

BS

It is never a waste to vote for what you truly believe in.

If the whole body of the electorate actually did that, the traditional parties would suffer an embarassing defeat.

We've known for ages that both major parties are full of crap, yet we are too lazy and apathetic to do anything about it. So, they remain full of crap.

Real change requires a third party.

If being the key word in your whole statement. You and I both know that will never happen. So flush away my friend. :AH-HA_wink:

I know what you mean, Camino. Neither party seems to be close enough to the center to relate to the things americans really want. I've been going door to door for the obama campaign,and a lot of people share your level of disgust with our political process.

Personally, I'd vote for a third party candidate before I'd vote for McCain. I don't trust the man at all.

Chris

I know what you mean, Camino. Neither party seems to be close enough to the center to relate to the things americans really want. I've been going door to door for the obama campaign,and a lot of people share your level of disgust with our political process.

Personally, I'd vote for a third party candidate before I'd vote for McCain. I don't trust the man at all.

Chris

Trust is a funny thing, I know more about where McCain stands - so I tend to trust what I expect from him, than what I expect from Obama.

Not quite the same as trusting either man, but something to think about.

Third party votes at the presidential level tend mostly to be either protest votes or statements of principle, with little to do with the actual candidate.

If you want to start a third party movement, do it during times when our political landscape isnt so polarized. Because if you keep doing it during polarized times, you run a far likelier chance that the country will move even further away from your ideals, making your third party ideals that much harder to instill into people as they become used to... well... other things.

If you want to start a third party movement, do it during times when our political landscape isnt so polarized. Because if you keep doing it during polarized times, you run a far likelier chance that the country will move even further away from your ideals, making your third party ideals that much harder to instill into people as they become used to... well... other things.

Interesting viewpoint.

I prefer the consistent approach generally.

At any rate, starting a new third party really isn't on my agenda.

That's pretty much the stance I take on voting in general... Maybe I can blame it on gas prices. It just costs so damn much to drive back to the booth (2 hours away)

Maybe I can establish a new party; the 'negativists' or better yet, 'realists'

It's like George Carlin used to say. "I'll be doing the same thing you're doing on election day. Except, when I'm finished, I'll have a little something on my hand to show for it."

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The level of political polarization has been increasing tremendously over the past 20 years. I'm amazed that we don't yet have a significant 3rd party to address the vast middle of America that is more fiscally conservative but also more socially liberal. Part of the problem is that the candidates the other parties end up with tend to be borderline wacko. That's not always true, but I think it is more often than not.

The political system has also been rigged to favor both the republican and democtratic parties and that makes it very difficult for a 3rd party to grow. That and the fact the the vast majority of people don't seem to realize that they are allowed to abandon the established parites and actually vote for a different party.

I used to be pretty involved in politics, but the more I saw the more I realized that I wasn't cut out for it. I truly think that both major parties are more concerned with winning than with what is good for the country and until the majority of voters also realize this, nothing is going to change.

Best freakin' post EVER!!!!