Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

What is that one Political Issue that is near and dear to your heart

66 posts in this topic

Tell me what that one political issue is that is near and dear to your heart. The one that would get you involved enough to support a candidate on that issue alone. Remember just pick your main one.

For me it's Illegal Immigration. Shut down the Southern border of the USA, and I don't care if you have to put a Berlin style wall up manned with soldiers, with orders to Shoot to Kill.

Come in the legal way, no problem! Sneak across the border, well then you take your chances with the wall and the guns.

The national debt

Exactly....this is the largest of many failings of the Republican party over the last 30 years.

Chris

Outsourcing, we have already lost so many manufacturing jobs in this country. Bic, Bethlehem Steel, Whirlpool, and of course the many jobs cut by the big 3.

And McDonald's doesn't count as job growth, loosing $25 and hour jobs means that $7.65 and hour cashier jobs won't cut it for those who have families etc.

Outsourcing. It has hurt my industry (software engineering) and many others. Though illegal immigration, healthcare, and the national debt are important to me as well.

Tell me what that one political issue is that is near and dear to your heart. The one that would get you involved enough to support a candidate on that issue alone. Remember just pick your main one.

For me it's Illegal Immigration. Shut down the Southern border of the USA, and I don't care if you have to put a Berlin style wall up manned with soldiers, with orders to Shoot to Kill.

Come in the legal way, no problem! Sneak across the border, well then you take your chances with the wall and the guns.

+1

The national debt

pretty much the same thing. +1

Kinda...individual freedom to me connotes less of the "community responsibility" aspect that "civil liberties" connotes IMO. "With freedom comes responsibilities."

Kinda...individual freedom to me connotes less of the "community responsibility" aspect that "civil liberties" connotes IMO. "With freedom comes responsibilities."

Therein lies the difference between us: I largely see "community responsibility" as bunk.

"Personal responsibility" is another matter.

That's fine...I suppose it's the result of a very service-oriented upbringing. To each his/her own.

OK, now I'm curious.

What do you mean by a "service-oriented upbringing"?

OK, now I'm curious.

What do you mean by a "service-oriented upbringing"?

When I started getting an allowance, 10% had to be set aside for the charity of my choice. I went to a Catholic grade school for 5 years, so there were always food drives, soup kitchens, and service projects to be done. High school always had a "Help for the Holidays" toy/food/clothing drive, and community service was a graduation requirement.

Like, the community/environment I grew up in put an emphasis on service, so as a result I have no problem whatsoever with a "greater good," "community responsibility" mindset with regards to my political views.

The national debt.

It's crippling out country. Our next war will (is??) be fought financially.

Read about what happened to Britain in the 1950s to understand why that was the final blow to them being a major power.

The important bit:

The British Empire eventually declined, of course, and in 1956 it endured the humiliating demise of its great-power status in a clash over the Suez Canal. U.S. policymakers should take note: Britain was brought to its knees not by a military defeat but by an economic one—specifically, America's refusal to support the British pound, which created a monetary crisis for the British government, forcing it to call off its ill-advised campaign with France and Israel to recapture the Suez Canal after nationalization by Egypt. As its international debt grows, the United States becomes ever more vulnerable to its own Suez moment.

When I started getting an allowance, 10% had to be set aside for the charity of my choice. I went to a Catholic grade school for 5 years, so there were always food drives, soup kitchens, and service projects to be done. High school always had a "Help for the Holidays" toy/food/clothing drive, and community service was a graduation requirement.

Like, the community/environment I grew up in put an emphasis on service, so as a result I have no problem whatsoever with a "greater good," "community responsibility" mindset with regards to my political views.

do you believe these are best personal ideals/responsibilities, or should charity work be required of people?

do you believe these are best personal ideals/responsibilities, or should charity work be required of people?

I believe personal charity should be a personal choice, but I'm simultaneously very much in approval of government social programs to help the poor, whether in the form of affordable housing subsidies, welfare, or other aid.

I think every American should engage in some kind of personal community betterment--whether it's with a charitable organization or just by doing park cleanups, adopt-a-road, etc.--but I don't think it should be REQUIRED by law.

Edited by Croc

I give to five charities per anum, and I give big bucks too.

1. American Diabetes Association (Diabetes runs in my family)

2. Delaware Humane Association (Delaware’s only non-profit, lifelong care animal shelter and adoption center)

3. A Catholic grade school in Delaware that is for Catholic children of Italian decent.

4. My Catholic High School in Texas.

5. My Catholic Grade School in Texas.

I believe personal charity should be a personal choice, but I'm simultaneously very much in approval of government social programs to help the poor, whether in the form of affordable housing subsidies, welfare, or other aid.

I think every American should engage in some kind of personal community betterment--whether it's with a charitable organization or just by doing park cleanups, adopt-a-road, etc.--but I don't think it should be REQUIRED by law.

I agree to your second part. I think the gov't overdoes it to a fault though, generally. I'll try to do more when i'm not in school and have a good job that I don't practially break even with.

OK, now I understand.

I've never been much for the "It Takes a Village" thinking - kinda turns my stomach.

For me it's more personal, as in helping an individual person in need.

Just how I'm wired.

Outsourcing... Or helping what little manufacturing we have left in our country (More specifically, Detroit)

Simply because I've been on the front lines of that one.

I country that cannot create or produce cannot defend itself. We will find that out the hard way.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0