Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chazman

I've been driving an '09 DTS for a couple of days, and....

51 posts in this topic

...I loved it!

Yup, you heard right. Okay, it's no CTS or 5 series, and it's architecturally pretty old, but if you're looking for a roomy, comfortable and relaxing car to drive, with a really nice interior, this is the car.

These are the wheels to take if you're driving cross-country. The interior is really, really nice, I think. Tastefully done, nice materials, very attractive design. Great stereo too and very comfortable seats.

The ride is very smooth but not numb, if you know what I mean. Perfectly tuned for the kind of car it is. And you know, it handles pretty good too. Well, if you take down some twisties at 10/10ths (oh yes I did :scared: ) the all-season tires protest and squeal abit and the front starts understeering. Actually, it's kind of fun modulating that understeer with the throttle and brakes and pushing through it. I mean, it's almost tossable in a big honkin' Cadillac sort of way. The brakes BTW are great.

I love the powertrain. The Northstar smoothly provides more than ample power to move this Caddy around with authority and the exhaust note is intoxicating. And the 4 speed trans it's mated to, works absolutely flawlessly. Rumor has it that the DI 3.6 will be replacing the Northstar in the DTS soon. Big mistake if you ask me. Eventhough the 3.6 will produce more power, it's no match for the Northstar's torque or smoothness.

You know, I kinda hated to turn it in....

Edited by Chazman

there is no crime in loving a creampuff cruiser.........

Yes...old school is still cool, IMHO. If I had to pick one car to drive coast-to-coast, it would be a Town Car w/ the THX sound and all the goodies... I've rented and driven them all over So Cal, E. Ohio, W. Pa, and S. Florida...

It's too bad people with money don't buy very many of these things anymore.

Well, it was Caddy's top selling car last year. Sales have slipped this year though.

Would you define this car as a floating, undulating, barge? A relic contributing to the sales of dramamine?

Nah, it isn't crisp-handling, but it isn't floaty. My father has owned an 85 Sedan de Ville, a 90 Fleetwood, 95 Deville Concours, 00 DHS, 06 DTS, and we inherited an 80 Sedan de Ville 15 or so years ago.

Each generation has been progressively better with ride/handling, an the current DTS is pretty fun to drive if you aren't getting too crazy. It's not a performance car, but it's a very enjoyable commuter car.

Would you define this car as a floating, undulating, barge? A relic contributing to the sales of dramamine?

As Croc mentioned, not at all. The chassis tuning has just the right balance between firmness and compliance.

Without having driven either (well, a DTS/Deville since circa '00)- I'm going to make a safe bet that the '09 DTS handles decades better than a Town Monster.

Thank you... I wanted your perspective considering certain "recent" comments on C&G about the G-Platform's inability to be competitive or perform. I agree with your driving experience completely. I believe with an updated powertrain (including ongoing platform improvements) the G-platform could survive another generation or two providing competitive and desirable vehicles.

Thank you... I wanted your perspective considering certain "recent" comments on C&G about the G-Platform's inability to be competitive or perform. I agree with your driving experience completely. I believe with an updated powertrain (including ongoing platform improvements) the G-platform could survive another generation or two providing competitive and desirable vehicles.

Aurora is proof that the G-body can handle/perform well with the proper tuning. Bonneville to a slightly lesser extent. (Let's try to avoid the tedious G v. H body debate...yes the VIN is different, but the architectures are essentially the same).

One thing that's often overlooked with regards to G, but is how well GM minimizes torque steer. These cars can be very good with the proper steering and suspension tuning. If I recall correctly, many of these vehicles can have their programming adjusted by the dealership to be firmer or softer, so if someone wants to do it, they can do it.

Edited by Croc

I know the DTS isn't particularly modern in both engineering and design, but I do like it... I think it's cool in an old-school, windows-down, Ray Ban Wayfarers-on sort-of-way.

At $45-60K, there are more advanced cars out there - the MKS, for instance - but it's a bargain when used. You can get a current-generation DTS for well under $20K, the price of a new Cobalt or Focus.

Fly's favorite machine. He totally bored me with his eulogy of this vehicle.

Gotta say it has some class to it.

I know the DTS isn't particularly modern in both engineering and design, but I do like it... I think it's cool in an old-school, windows-down, Ray Ban Wayfarers-on sort-of-way.

At $45-60K, there are more advanced cars out there - the MKS, for instance - but it's a bargain when used. You can get a current-generation DTS for well under $20K, the price of a new Cobalt or Focus.

I disagree. While the design isn't cutting-edge or modern, I can't think of anything in the engineering that isn't. I'm not going to subscribe to FWD < RWD because there are modern FWD cars out there. There's a lot of techno goodies in these cars, and I think they're fairly cutting-edge in the non-performance luxury market.

This car is certainly nothing that you'd want to put toe to toe with an S-class or 7 series. It appeals to a different niche than those cars do - nothing wrong with that. The DTS is a car which the traditional Cadillac (or even Lincoln for that matter), buyer can appreciate, and in fact, even call the best car they've ever owned.

The current DTS soldiers on because its customer base loves it. It is the epitome of the FWD, large Cadillac sedan. Just think where they started with this concept... the tiny, insulting '85 Sedan DeVille. The current DTS is a classy gem, with a hint of A&S... it is very deftly done. It's easily my second-favorite current Cadillac, after the CTS. Shoot, I'd drive one.

I remember the days when GM sold 200,000 Devilles a year. I love the car, but this is a declining niche.

I remember the days when GM sold 200,000 Devilles a year. I love the car, but this is a declining niche.

Yeah, it's a capable and nice looking big car, but it's totally outgunned by it's competition. It does make a decent used car buy. One and two year old DTS are all over the place cheap as can be (fleet cars?). The vast majority of younger people hate the car and it does nothing to enhance Caddy's image, which is the big problem with the car IMO.

Yeah, it's a capable and nice looking big car, but it's totally outgunned by it's competition. It does make a decent used car buy. One and two year old DTS are all over the place cheap as can be (fleet cars?). The vast majority of younger people hate the car and it does nothing to enhance Caddy's image, which is the big problem with the car IMO.

I suppose that begs the question "What is the DTS's competition?"

The 45k-60k range will only get you into a 5-series, E-class or A6, from the Euros. Sure, those may be faster and more sure footed around the Nurburgring than the DTS, but what if that's not your goal?

If ultimate comfort with more than capable hustle at around $50,000, the DTS is it.

I have ridden in a few of them and love them. The DTS is a great car and with the rebates on them they are an appealing buy indeed. I love the stately look of them as well and those seats are great. They still can sell 30-40K a year that is a nice market even if a few it the Avis lots. I had always said kick the Northstar up to about 320hp and drop in a six speed automatic and it would be even sweeter. Light years ahead of the Towncar a younger guy in my area owns a black Lux III.

It does have an old-school, floaty-boat appeal to it. I think that's why the STS is such a dud......if you want an "old-school" Caddy, the STS is too sporty. If you want a sport-luxury sedan, the STS, on the other hand, can't hold a candle to the new CTS.

The base DTSs seem a bit too boaty to me, but the cars equipped with the 1SE performance luxury collection with the H.O. Northstar, MRC, 18-inch wheels and tires, body-color grille, and navigation are the best of the crop IMHO. Even though they run $55K - $56, every time we stock a few, we sell them within a few weeks.

It almost (emphasis on "almost") feels like the CTSs big daddy......

Old school is still cool! :thumbsup: The interiors look awesome in the Light Linen (color) Leathers. Lots of room, although within realm of full-sized luxury sedans today. Cadillac needs to keep producing a car like this--even add a two-door coupe! Warren Buffett, who could buy any car, drives a DTS--and there are many other prominent people who faithfully buy the latest iteration of the DTS (alot more than can be said of the other model offerings by Cadillac). Although the brand needs to keep current, and the CTS is a great step towards doing that, a full-sized DTS is essential to the Cadillac line-up!

It does have an old-school, floaty-boat appeal to it. I think that's why the STS is such a dud......if you want an "old-school" Caddy, the STS is too sporty. If you want a sport-luxury sedan, the STS, on the other hand, can't hold a candle to the new CTS.

I agree on that one 150%

However my ideal DTS is an optioned out Black Raven Luxury II (Or maybe Thunder Gray Chromaflair) with the 6-Passenger Bench, Light Linen with Cocoa Trim Interior and the Real Walnut Wood, and of course the Dealer-Installed Chrome Hood Ornament... The only thing that car lacks from the factory.

3370934_1.jpg

3370934_20.jpg

The base DTSs seem a bit too boaty to me, but the cars equipped with the 1SE performance luxury collection with the H.O. Northstar, MRC, 18-inch wheels and tires, body-color grille, and navigation are the best of the crop IMHO. Even though they run $55K - $56, every time we stock a few, we sell them within a few weeks.

It almost (emphasis on "almost") feels like the CTSs big daddy......

They sell that fast? That is indeed good to hear.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room