I've been driving an '09 DTS for a couple of days, and....

Chazman

...I loved it!

Yup, you heard right. Okay, it's no CTS or 5 series, and it's architecturally pretty old, but if you're looking for a roomy, comfortable and relaxing car to drive, with a really nice interior, this is the car.

These are the wheels to take if you're driving cross-country. The interior is really, really nice, I think. Tastefully done, nice materials, very attractive design. Great stereo too and very comfortable seats.

The ride is very smooth but not numb, if you know what I mean. Perfectly tuned for the kind of car it is. And you know, it handles pretty good too. Well, if you take down some twisties at 10/10ths (oh yes I did :scared: ) the all-season tires protest and squeal abit and the front starts understeering. Actually, it's kind of fun modulating that understeer with the throttle and brakes and pushing through it. I mean, it's almost tossable in a big honkin' Cadillac sort of way. The brakes BTW are great.

I love the powertrain. The Northstar smoothly provides more than ample power to move this Caddy around with authority and the exhaust note is intoxicating. And the 4 speed trans it's mated to, works absolutely flawlessly. Rumor has it that the DI 3.6 will be replacing the Northstar in the DTS soon. Big mistake if you ask me. Eventhough the 3.6 will produce more power, it's no match for the Northstar's torque or smoothness.

You know, I kinda hated to turn it in....

Edited by Chazman

there is no crime in loving a creampuff cruiser.........

Yes...old school is still cool, IMHO. If I had to pick one car to drive coast-to-coast, it would be a Town Car w/ the THX sound and all the goodies... I've rented and driven them all over So Cal, E. Ohio, W. Pa, and S. Florida...

Nah, it isn't crisp-handling, but it isn't floaty. My father has owned an 85 Sedan de Ville, a 90 Fleetwood, 95 Deville Concours, 00 DHS, 06 DTS, and we inherited an 80 Sedan de Ville 15 or so years ago.

Each generation has been progressively better with ride/handling, an the current DTS is pretty fun to drive if you aren't getting too crazy. It's not a performance car, but it's a very enjoyable commuter car.

Thank you... I wanted your perspective considering certain "recent" comments on C&G about the G-Platform's inability to be competitive or perform. I agree with your driving experience completely. I believe with an updated powertrain (including ongoing platform improvements) the G-platform could survive another generation or two providing competitive and desirable vehicles.

Thank you... I wanted your perspective considering certain "recent" comments on C&G about the G-Platform's inability to be competitive or perform. I agree with your driving experience completely. I believe with an updated powertrain (including ongoing platform improvements) the G-platform could survive another generation or two providing competitive and desirable vehicles.

Aurora is proof that the G-body can handle/perform well with the proper tuning. Bonneville to a slightly lesser extent. (Let's try to avoid the tedious G v. H body debate...yes the VIN is different, but the architectures are essentially the same).

One thing that's often overlooked with regards to G, but is how well GM minimizes torque steer. These cars can be very good with the proper steering and suspension tuning. If I recall correctly, many of these vehicles can have their programming adjusted by the dealership to be firmer or softer, so if someone wants to do it, they can do it.

Edited by Croc

I know the DTS isn't particularly modern in both engineering and design, but I do like it... I think it's cool in an old-school, windows-down, Ray Ban Wayfarers-on sort-of-way.

At $45-60K, there are more advanced cars out there - the MKS, for instance - but it's a bargain when used. You can get a current-generation DTS for well under $20K, the price of a new Cobalt or Focus.

I know the DTS isn't particularly modern in both engineering and design, but I do like it... I think it's cool in an old-school, windows-down, Ray Ban Wayfarers-on sort-of-way.

At $45-60K, there are more advanced cars out there - the MKS, for instance - but it's a bargain when used. You can get a current-generation DTS for well under $20K, the price of a new Cobalt or Focus.

I disagree. While the design isn't cutting-edge or modern, I can't think of anything in the engineering that isn't. I'm not going to subscribe to FWD < RWD because there are modern FWD cars out there. There's a lot of techno goodies in these cars, and I think they're fairly cutting-edge in the non-performance luxury market.

This car is certainly nothing that you'd want to put toe to toe with an S-class or 7 series. It appeals to a different niche than those cars do - nothing wrong with that. The DTS is a car which the traditional Cadillac (or even Lincoln for that matter), buyer can appreciate, and in fact, even call the best car they've ever owned.

The current DTS soldiers on because its customer base loves it. It is the epitome of the FWD, large Cadillac sedan. Just think where they started with this concept... the tiny, insulting '85 Sedan DeVille. The current DTS is a classy gem, with a hint of A&S... it is very deftly done. It's easily my second-favorite current Cadillac, after the CTS. Shoot, I'd drive one.

I remember the days when GM sold 200,000 Devilles a year. I love the car, but this is a declining niche.

Yeah, it's a capable and nice looking big car, but it's totally outgunned by it's competition. It does make a decent used car buy. One and two year old DTS are all over the place cheap as can be (fleet cars?). The vast majority of younger people hate the car and it does nothing to enhance Caddy's image, which is the big problem with the car IMO.

Yeah, it's a capable and nice looking big car, but it's totally outgunned by it's competition. It does make a decent used car buy. One and two year old DTS are all over the place cheap as can be (fleet cars?). The vast majority of younger people hate the car and it does nothing to enhance Caddy's image, which is the big problem with the car IMO.

I suppose that begs the question "What is the DTS's competition?"

The 45k-60k range will only get you into a 5-series, E-class or A6, from the Euros. Sure, those may be faster and more sure footed around the Nurburgring than the DTS, but what if that's not your goal?

If ultimate comfort with more than capable hustle at around $50,000, the DTS is it.

I have ridden in a few of them and love them. The DTS is a great car and with the rebates on them they are an appealing buy indeed. I love the stately look of them as well and those seats are great. They still can sell 30-40K a year that is a nice market even if a few it the Avis lots. I had always said kick the Northstar up to about 320hp and drop in a six speed automatic and it would be even sweeter. Light years ahead of the Towncar a younger guy in my area owns a black Lux III.

It does have an old-school, floaty-boat appeal to it. I think that's why the STS is such a dud......if you want an "old-school" Caddy, the STS is too sporty. If you want a sport-luxury sedan, the STS, on the other hand, can't hold a candle to the new CTS.

The base DTSs seem a bit too boaty to me, but the cars equipped with the 1SE performance luxury collection with the H.O. Northstar, MRC, 18-inch wheels and tires, body-color grille, and navigation are the best of the crop IMHO. Even though they run $55K - $56, every time we stock a few, we sell them within a few weeks.

It almost (emphasis on "almost") feels like the CTSs big daddy......

Old school is still cool! :thumbsup: The interiors look awesome in the Light Linen (color) Leathers. Lots of room, although within realm of full-sized luxury sedans today. Cadillac needs to keep producing a car like this--even add a two-door coupe! Warren Buffett, who could buy any car, drives a DTS--and there are many other prominent people who faithfully buy the latest iteration of the DTS (alot more than can be said of the other model offerings by Cadillac). Although the brand needs to keep current, and the CTS is a great step towards doing that, a full-sized DTS is essential to the Cadillac line-up!

It does have an old-school, floaty-boat appeal to it. I think that's why the STS is such a dud......if you want an "old-school" Caddy, the STS is too sporty. If you want a sport-luxury sedan, the STS, on the other hand, can't hold a candle to the new CTS.

I agree on that one 150%

However my ideal DTS is an optioned out Black Raven Luxury II (Or maybe Thunder Gray Chromaflair) with the 6-Passenger Bench, Light Linen with Cocoa Trim Interior and the Real Walnut Wood, and of course the Dealer-Installed Chrome Hood Ornament... The only thing that car lacks from the factory.

3370934_1.jpg

3370934_20.jpg

The base DTSs seem a bit too boaty to me, but the cars equipped with the 1SE performance luxury collection with the H.O. Northstar, MRC, 18-inch wheels and tires, body-color grille, and navigation are the best of the crop IMHO. Even though they run $55K - $56, every time we stock a few, we sell them within a few weeks.

It almost (emphasis on "almost") feels like the CTSs big daddy......

They sell that fast? That is indeed good to hear.

Old school is still cool! :thumbsup: The interiors look awesome in the Light Linen (color) Leathers. Lots of room, although within realm of full-sized luxury sedans today. Cadillac needs to keep producing a car like this--even add a two-door coupe! Warren Buffett, who could buy any car, drives a DTS--and there are many other prominent people who faithfully buy the latest iteration of the DTS (alot more than can be said of the other model offerings by Cadillac). Although the brand needs to keep current, and the CTS is a great step towards doing that, a full-sized DTS is essential to the Cadillac line-up!

I totally agree one FWD boat in the Caddy line-up is just fine and is a very relevant and loyal product.

They sell that fast? That is indeed good to hear.

Yeah....it's funny. You wouldn't wanna stock 15 1SE's......but we usually try to keep 3 or so around all the time.....and they do move pretty well. People like the nav system and other features.

Don't see too much call for the bench seat (ironically) but we still stock a few. Most people DO like the buckets with floor shifter.....even in the non-1SE package cars...

Yeah....it's funny. You wouldn't wanna stock 15 1SE's......but we usually try to keep 3 or so around all the time.....and they do move pretty well. People like the nav system and other features.

Don't see too much call for the bench seat (ironically) but we still stock a few. Most people DO like the buckets with floor shifter.....even in the non-1SE package cars...

They probably sell more w/ bench seats in S. Florida and Phoenix, which are more hard-core retiree areas than the LV.

That is good to hear I just built one and the prices went up. Even after rebates they are way out of my price range. A 1SE or even a stripper with PA2 chrome wheels in White Diamond or Black Cherry would be nice. They aren't a bad deal after you load up on the rebates but still too much. I would HATE a bench seat in that car I have one in my Impala and HATE IT! Also I love the new body color atenna. I still would love a DTS or STS.

Edited by gm4life

Really? The OC can I ask what dealer you work for?

Cadillac of Las Vegas West.

One of three Caddy stores in the Las Vegas area......beautiful store I might add.....located on West Sahara Avenue, close to most of Las Vegas' more upscale communities such as Summerlin, Queensridge, the Lakes, Red Rock, etc....

• 4 weeks later...

I have 5 very close friends, 3 of which are really into cars, that prefer the DTS to some of the other Caddys myself included. Even dad agrees. One of my 5 friends and I took out a base DTS with buckets seats, chromes and roof for a long test drive. It was priced a hair under 48K. We then right after took out a FWD Lincoln MKS with the Ultimate package which included roof, chromes, NAV, Sirius and audio upgrade and it stickered for close to 45K. We both preffered the classier more elegant exterior styling of the DTS with it's nice chrome jewelry and A&S inspired touches on the front and rear. The MKS had some interesting touches like the front end treatment but from the A-pillar back just looks too plain and generic and woudn't look out of place with a Hyundai or Toyota badge on it. The lack of bodyside moldings on a 45K luxury car was lamentable! The interior was a different story. The Lincolns was a bit fancier and higher tech whereas the DTS is more traditional and elegant so this was a toss up for individual preference. The Caddys Northstar sure sounded better to our ears compared to the noisier 3.7 liter enlarged 3.5 Duratec. The 6 speed kept the 3.7 in it's power band better but that increased engine noise. Both cars felt about the same in a drag race 0-60 at around 7 seconds flat. The DTS seats felt a tad softer and more comfy and the Caddy had a larger trunk opening compared to the MKS. The MKS also had a curious lack of front seat legroom but loads of back seat space which is fine for rear seat passengers but doesn't help a tall driver much. Overall the MKS was priced a bit cheaper and felt more high tech modern but it's exterior left us cold, it's engine was fast enough but a bit noisy, the trunk opening was small and some interior dimensions felt smaller than they should have been. It was a nice enough car but we both liked the DTS better in the end with the cool sounding Northstar, pleasant exterior styling, roomy and very comfy front seats and a rebated price that would easily put it in line with the lower priced MKS in the end.

By the way the store is sweet looking.

Hey thanks! And I'm sorry for SUCH a delayed response.......

It's a nice store, and more importantly, IMHO the best location of any of the three Caddy stores in town. We are on West Sahara within spitting distance of high-end communities such as Summerlin, Queensridge, The Lakes, etc.

Caddy East (our store too) is in the ghetto east on Sahara from the Strip......and Findlay is in the Henderson automall.....(a nice automall, and growing area....but not as upscale as the west side.)

Not to interrupt, but . . . What about the DTS "Platinum" Edition? My Cadillac dealer had a gorgeous one on display--really superb interior details, neat chrome door handles and chromed front grill and ultra-luxurious grade leather interior (Light Linen shade, of course!) and it made an elegant, but stately, appearance. Cadillac does not give the DTS "Platinum" Edition enough exposure--I'm sure alot of people don't even know it exists. It also had really attractive chrome rims.

Speaking of trips to the dealer, I noticed that the DTS's on display are a much smaller percentage of the vehicles readily visible, compared to in the past! It seems GM is just going to let this icon die, similar to the Eldorado, by not updating it. Really, quite a shame--it was the full-sized Cadillac sedan that built Cadillac's reputation. :confused0071:

Not to interrupt, but . . . What about the DTS "Platinum" Edition? My Cadillac dealer had a gorgeous one on display--really superb interior details, neat chrome door handles and chromed front grill and ultra-luxurious grade leather interior (Light Linen shade, of course!) and it made an elegant, but stately, appearance. Cadillac does not give the DTS "Platinum" Edition enough exposure--I'm sure alot of people don't even know it exists. It also had really attractive chrome rims.

Speaking of trips to the dealer, I noticed that the DTS's on display are a much smaller percentage of the vehicles readily visible, compared to in the past! It seems GM is just going to let this icon die, similar to the Eldorado, by not updating it. Really, quite a shame--it was the full-sized Cadillac sedan that built Cadillac's reputation. :confused0071:

The "update" it's getting I believe, is the replacement of the N*with a GDI 3.6 and A6.

since my dad just bought his, he keeps bugging me that i should replace my now departed 500 with a good low mile northstar DTS like his.

i have to admit, massaging seats are an interesting thought on a ride home from work.

Yeah...massaging seats would be nice. A feature I'd like to have (some cars have 'em) are cooled seats. Leather and desert summers do not work well. I use sheepskin seat covers, but it's still 140 degrees inside at startup..

Hey O.C. Why aren't you selling Cadillacs on my Cadillac site?

The massaging seats that come with the DTS are terrible, if you ask me.. Yeah, you can feel the thing working - but it does little, if not nothing at all. Try sitting in a Mercedes S550, BME 750i or Lexus LS460 and you'll see how massaging seats should work. If Cadillac still offers their massaging seats, they should just cancel that option and save their money.

Otherwise, the DTS is a great vehicle - and I do hope Cadillac keeps it in the lineup - EVEN if it only gets the 3.6 liter V6. I love the smooth power of the Northstar - but it's not going to be around for very much longer. I wish they'd just go nuts making as many Northstars as possible to use them in the DTS for as long as it lives - but that's not going to happen. Still, I think the DTS will do okay with the powerful V6.

I've been driving some pretty expensive cars over the past few years.. However, my DTS (sold) turned more heads than any of them. I REALLY hope Cadillac decides to keep a full-size vehicle in the lineup.

The G-platform is fine, (i've got one) but it isn't as good as any rear drive $40k plus car and that is the problem (modern car, not the Town Car). 4-speeds and 275 hp doesn't cut it anymore either. The DeVille/DTS's time was 1995-2005. A Genesis gives you more content/features, better warranty, better engine, better chassis, better transmission, better performance, better fuel economy for less money. When Cadillac has fallen behind Hyundai, it is truly a sad time at GM. It looks like the DTS will be around a while though, since there is no money to make a replacement, and the CTS coupe is delayed 2 more years.

Edited by smk4565