A Horse With No Name

Chinese to Buy GM, Chrysler

41 posts in this topic

Heh, this will really rile up the politicians. If true, this pretty much guarantees a bailout. Maybe a republican or two will be convinced under the guise of "national security" crisis.

...or perhaps the new Camaro will be Hot and Sour rather than Hot and Spicy...

Chris

...or perhaps the new Camaro will be Hot and Sour rather than Hot and Spicy...

Chris

Wow....Kung Pao Camaro. These are surreal times. Maybe the Indians (Tata and Mahindra) will get in the game also... mmmm...Challenger SRT8 Vindaloo.. :)

Edited by moltar

As screwed up as things are getting, I'm worried that if I buy a new Camaro or Solstice it's perhaps going to bow to Mecca 5 times a day to pray.

I really despise the idea of China buying our auto industry. This just sucks...

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

As screwed up as things are getting, I'm worried that if I buy a new Camaro or Solstice it's perhaps going to bow to Mecca 5 times a day to pray.

Chris

Well, we are already helping them when we fill up at the gas pump... strange days, these are.

It will be the end of days if this happens.

Not only for the auto industry but for this country.

Edited by Dodgefan

It will be the end of days if this happens.

Not only for the auto industry but for this country.

Thank top-of-the-heap American, and developed world, greed for making this happen...Enron, WaMu, etc. etc. Think of how many people are hurt by the actions of a few, and this is coming from someone who started out in the college of business administration....

Yup, and the result of this will be America becoming a 2nd-rate nation, we are already well on the way now, this will merely seal that fate.

That is the best f*cking news ever!

Do we actually think the American government is going to let this go through? This probably would guarantee that GM will get a major cash infusion from the government!

$h!.

Hopefully this guarantees the Bailout

This will doom North America, US Canada and Mexico if it happens... Oh well. I'm not buying cars from a Chinese-owned company so if this ends up happening I'm heading over to Ford.

Yeah, read that a couple days ago and meant to post it. If a Chinese company bought GM I would no longer have any GM vehicle in my driveway. But I really doubt this will happen.

I really hope it doesn't.

We had major greed during the robber baron era in this country during the 1890's, and then had reform under Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and others...American Women got the right to vote, and the economy came back.

Hopefully we get a new era of reform and growth after our current era or greed, apathy and corruption.

A GM bailout can't happen quickly enough.

Chris

This is not a political comment but an economic one:

Where did all the free market capitalists I used to do battle with go? This is classic stuff for them. Economic darwinism, global trade, etc.

When you let market cap fall to $1.7 billion you run the risk of being bought. I am surprised Kirk Kerkorian hasn't come back.

Where did all the free market capitalists I used to do battle with go? This is classic stuff for them. Economic darwinism, global trade, etc.

The trouble is when you link a free market to one that's not. It's like having the olympics, but some countries can use steroids and other aids.

Even as a dumb kid back in high-school, ('93-'97)

already a self-proclaimed Republican, I was very

much disgusted with the idea of what we call

"FREE" trade and an open market. :angry:

Exactly. The markets we have right now are anything but fair and free.

Chris

Thank top-of-the-heap American, and developed world, greed for making this happen...Enron, WaMu, etc. etc. Think of how many people are hurt by the actions of a few, and this is coming from someone who started out in the college of business administration....

im not certain if u are considering wamu to be corrupt like enron, but if you are, you are stepping on some mighty big toes... the treasury is corrupt and might have taken lessons from enron on how to sell power/debt to other companies... but at some point... it stops and someone falls big... im thinking its going to be citibank... fdic tried to keep them afloat by giving them wachovia, but as u can see that failed to go through, and citi is stumbling, very badly.

If this happens I'll head straight for the Ford Dealership.

It has no chance of ever happening. The Chinese are grossly overestimated. Take Chery, widely expexted by many to lead the cha4rge into western markets:

"I wouldn't place much hope on it," says a former Chery executive familiar with the Chrysler deal. "Both companies have their own problems to deal with, and both have run out of money."

He says the substandard quality of Chery's cars was a major obstacle. "Chery knows there is no way for these cars to meet the safety and emission standards of the U.S. market in the near future."

Chrysler and Chery never said when Chery-made cars would arrive in U.S. showrooms. In a May interview with Automotive News, LaSorda's said plans for the U.S. showrooms were encountering difficulties.

"We need small cars," LaSorda, now co-president of Chrysler, said. "Chery's cars are still not ready for that exposure into these markets." He said China-built cars probably won't be ready to meet U.S. safety and emissions standards for "three years or more." …

…China's slowing auto market is hitting Chery hard, and sources say it is laying off employees and freezing development of some new models.

A Chery supplier, who declined to be identified, said Chery is cutting sales targets by at least 50 percent for the second half of this year.

Sound familiar?

SAIC and Dongfeng are publicly listed companies. You can buy shares. The government is not going to give them heaps of money to buy GM or Chrysler. Neither is large enough nor has enough money to repay debt or fund extensive model development, and unlike some Chinese rivals (e.g. Chery), they know it. SAIC is the largest and wealthiest of the Chinese Big 3, and the number of new cars it has developed? One, and that based on work already begun by MG Rover. No new engines, and not yet any transmissions (which they are working on in a partnership). It has its hands full just with Ssangyong, Roewe and MG. Dongfeng has, well none, just rebadged Nissans produced by the JV half owned by Nissan. The third big Chinese maker, FAW, produces only reworked Mazdas, Toyotas, and ancient Daihatsus and Audis, and only makes money building and selling vehicles under those and other JV import brands.

Heh, this will really rile up the politicians. If true, this pretty much guarantees a bailout. Maybe a republican or two will be convinced under the guise of "national security" crisis.

F*ck Washington... I'm so over this and this country...

(I'm as over america as PCS is Pontiac -- you know, once fiercely loyal, but now outcast and betrayed)

I hope every damn automaker we own gets bought by the Chinese.

I'll be a very loyal import buyer then.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room