Pontiac G8 GXP Laps Nurburgring In 8:30

Pontiac_G8_GXP_Nurburgring.jpg

Like seemingly every other GM product to be launched in the last year, the Pontiac G8 GXP’s handling was tuned on the Nurburgring. There, while being driven by development engineers (and not a professional race driver), it set a ring time of 8:30. That sounds pretty good, especially given the badge the G8 GXP wears on its nose and its price: expected to be just under $40,000 including gas guzzler tax and destination fee. But how good is it?

In comparison, the E60 BMW M5’s record lap is 8:13. That car starts at $85,100 and betters the G8 GXP by 92 HP. The Porsche Boxster S is two seconds slower than the G8, despite weighing over 800 Lbs less and retailing for $15,700 more.

So basically, the G8 GXP gives you the performance of a Porsche Boxster S and the practicality of an M5 with the price tag of a Pontiac. If you haven’t already, make sure you check out our Pontiac G8 GXP First Drive.

Like I said in another thread...I really wish I had 40k to buy a car right now. Maybe like C5 Corvettes this car will be affordable in a few years.

Chris

(Channeling SMK)

The Chrome around the rear ashtra isn't up to BMW standards, and Pontiac really should have introduced this in 1957 alongside the Tripower Starfire convertible if it ever expected to keep up with Honda...

(End Channeling)

Chris

(Channeling SMK)

The Chrome around the rear ashtra isn't up to BMW standards, and Pontiac really should have introduced this in 1957 alongside the Tripower Starfire convertible if it ever expected to keep up with Honda...

(End Channeling)

Chris

You forgot to mention how BMW can have similar output from less displacement while ignoring the dual overhead cams and turbo charger strapped to the side.

Scott, the guy at our Miata club autocrosses with the GT-3 Porsche, the Lutus Caterham 7, and three other Porsche's (968, 944, Cayenne) is the world's nicest guy. As is the father of the boy down the street, who owns a pristine 40,000 mile 70 Chevelle SS, about 5 Monte SS's, an Impala SS, and a pristine Fox Body GT Mustang. As are a lot of other people who own nice rides in the real world.

Generally, people who feel a need to put everyone down and everything down don't own anything worth having. Just my observation, FWIW.

Chris

That is a good time, but if lapping the Nurburgring at low cost is what you want, an E39 M5 is faster than this thing and goes for about $26,000 used. Why does Pontiac compare the G8 GXP to the E39 M5 anyway, are they bragging that in 2009 they can do what BMW did in 1998?

They could have put the STS-V engine in the G8 GXP and at least made it somewhat special, rather than recycle the 6.2 pushrod that is in multiple Chevy and GMC products. The Camaro SS can out perform this car for $8000 less, so I don't see where the "value" is in a $40,000 Pontiac. My main problems with the G8 are interior fit and finish (Cobalt level at best) and the Aussie styling. The GTO flopped because it wasn't designed for the American market, this car is selling 1,000 units a month for the same reason.

Why does Pontiac compare the G8 GXP to the E39 M5 anyway, are they bragging that in 2009 they can do what BMW did in 1998?

In comparison, the E60 BMW M5’s record lap is 8:13. That car starts at $85,100 and betters the G8 GXP by 92 HP.

Practice reading comprehension. Kthxbye.

You have to start comparing to used vehicles to make the G8 sound bad. I take that as a win for the G8.

waaaa! pushrods! :neenerneener:

Slower than a car from 11 years ago is not a win for the G8. Pontiac is beyond savable, they should be working on the BTS and a new Impala instead.

Speed is only one comparison. For 40K it is a really decent new car...I doubt anyone driving it under real world conditions will be anything less than thrilled with the car.

But smk, if you really want to spend 85k for a new BMW to go as fast as a 40K Pontiac, I am not going to stop you.

That it's selling 1000 units a month in this market is really good. Almost all other "pure"perfromance cars are running 250-500 units a month. RX-8, Miata, Solstice, Sky, S2000, whatever...not selling well at all.

Give Pontiac time, they'll be "back"

Chris

Oh, and at some point the car just becomes that muich better than its driver. Probably less than 1% of Pontiac or BMW owners can drive them at 85% of their capacity, much less 95%.

The real cool part of the G8 is the musclecar essence that it conveys. LIke I said before, to me it really recalls some of the cars I really loved as a boy and haven't seen around in forever.

Chris

Slower than a car from 11 years ago is not a win for the G8. Pontiac is beyond savable, they should be working on the BTS and a new Impala instead.

The BMW 335i Coupe is slower around the track than a 2004 Subaru Impreza. BMW is obviously beyond salvageable.

I've already warned you once about trolling. Keep it up.

...the BMW, the Impreza, and the Pontiac are all wildly different cars. I'd love to have an old BMW 2002 for vintage racing, a WRX for Rallycross, and a Pontiac G8 for a family car. Right now I can't afford any of the above, but the point I think is clear-each car has to stand or fall on its own merits. And while I obvoisly have no hesitation at having a subie or bimmer in the garage, I think the G8 is the coolest of the bunch.

Unless SMK can point to some real fault in the G8, I think my earlier point is still valid-people usually bash cars over the internet because they can't afford them.

Just my two cents.

Chris/66

They could have put the STS-V engine in the G8 GXP and at least made it somewhat special, rather than recycle the 6.2 pushrod that is in multiple Chevy and GMC products. The Camaro SS can out perform this car for $8000 less, so I don't see where the "value" is in a $40,000 Pontiac. My main problems with the G8 are interior fit and finish (Cobalt level at best) and the Aussie styling. The GTO flopped because it wasn't designed for the American market, this car is selling 1,000 units a month for the same reason.

1. Please tell me you're joking about the STS-V engine.

2. Camaro is 2-door, G8 is 4-door. Different markets. Pontiac isn't supposed to beat it in value anyways.

3. Have you driven the G8? I have, and there's nothing wrong with the fit and finish. My friend who hates my car (which is widely criticized of having poor interiors, BTW) and says it's still better finished than a C-Class. And I have to say the G8 is worlds better than my car.

4. Please define the "Aussie styling". See the Lambos? They're styled by a Belgian. See the BMWs you love so much? They're designed by "Americans who has the aesthetic abilitiles of giraffes."

5. GTO flopped because the dealers wanted to pay for an Aveo alongside with it, only that they're not giving you the Aveo to take home.

The E39 M5 does the Ring in 8 minutes 28 seconds. E39 is a better performance comparison.

And the Cobalt SS turbo does it in 8 Min 22 Sec for under $20K. Hell my HHR SS is not that far behind either.

Just enjoy the G8 while it last as it is a great cor for the money and one of thew best all around Pontiacs ever made.

Edited by hyperv6

Speed is only one comparison. For 40K it is a really decent new car...I doubt anyone driving it under real world conditions will be anything less than thrilled with the car.

But smk, if you really want to spend 85k for a new BMW to go as fast as a 40K Pontiac, I am not going to stop you.

That it's selling 1000 units a month in this market is really good. Almost all other "pure"perfromance cars are running 250-500 units a month. RX-8, Miata, Solstice, Sky, S2000, whatever...not selling well at all.

Chris

There are many good cars for $40k, and the G8 isn't one of them. The interior is horrible, and it is slower than a Camaro, GTO, 335i. People can buy an Infiniti, Cadillac, or BMW for $40k, why buy a Pontiac.

The M5 at $85k has the same top speed as the ZR-1 at $120k. I wouldn't buy an M5, but it's still the performance sedan standard that every other brand aspires to. No other automaker wishes to be like Pontiac. Personally, I want a Jaguar.

The G8 was outsold by the 7-series last month, and that is the old model with no reason to buy it since the 09 model comes out shortly. The G8 isn't selling well, and probably half the 1,000 they sold were V6 models that go 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, which isn't really a true performance car.

There are many good cars for $40k, and the G8 isn't one of them. The interior is horrible, and it is slower than a Camaro, GTO, 335i. People can buy an Infiniti, Cadillac, or BMW for $40k, why buy a Pontiac.

Because not everyone is a brand humping snob like you? I find it funny that you're a guy that paid for an Oldsmobile with a 35k base price when you could have purchased so many other "more worthy" vehicles. People paid 35k - 40k for Auroras, Park Aves, and Bonnevilles. The G8 interior is fine.

The M5 at $85k has the same top speed as the ZR-1 at $120k. I wouldn't buy an M5, but it's still the performance sedan standard that every other brand aspires to. No other automaker wishes to be like Pontiac. Personally, I want a Jaguar.

The G8 was outsold by the 7-series last month, and that is the old model with no reason to buy it since the 09 model comes out shortly. The G8 isn't selling well, and probably half the 1,000 they sold were V6 models that go 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, which isn't really a true performance car.

You don't get it, do you?

An Infiniti? no thanks ,never

A Caddy? Not my style

A BMW? a lesser one maybe, and I'll pass on that

A G8? Yes, the fit is just right, thank you. In ST form, it is everything I want.

I don't like BMWs, but they are the best driving brand of cars, they are the benchmark. GM compares every performance car they have to BMW, but there is more to a BMW than 0-60 time, or skidpad number, there is the feel of the road, intangibles, and build quality. The M5 in its 5th model year still sells without a rebate, the CTS and G8 already have rebates after 1 year.

The G8 is typical poor product planning by GM. If Zeta wasn't overweight, and they developed an American looking sedan with great styling and gave it an interior suited for America (better than the Malibu LTZ's) they could have had a new Impala that would have been a success. Instead we get an Aussie retread that is selling even worse than the GTO did.

smk4565:

With cars, people who want to spend more than the average amount of money often spend it on luxury, performance, or both.

Those who want BMW, MB, Audi, Ferrari, or Lamborghini pay for luxury and performance, and most often get it. After paying a lot more.

Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Lexus or Lincoln? Luxury much more than performance. No one expects the GS to be a track car.

Pontiac? Paying for performance. No one expects the Pontiac G8 to be soft and cushy... just mean and go-fast. I don't know why you expect more out of Pontiac when their mission is not to have top- or even middle-tier luxury. It hasn't been for years, if ever.

I have to agree with everyone else here... you either refuse to get it, or you're a troll who hopes to proselytize any of us here. And it's not gonna work.

EDIT: Just read that you don't like BMWs. Have you driven one? Or the G8?

Edited by Lamar

Because not everyone is a brand humping snob like you? I find it funny that you're a guy that paid for an Oldsmobile with a 35k base price when you could have purchased so many other "more worthy" vehicles. People paid 35k - 40k for Auroras, Park Aves, and Bonnevilles. The G8 interior is fine.

I paid $18k for a 2.5 year old, 26k mile Aurora that stickered for $39,960. I capitalized on poor depreciation.

Actually, if the Aurora's interior was in the G8, that would solve the G8's biggest problem. Then they could take the supercharged Aurora V8 from the Shelby Series 1 and replace the Silverado engine, and the G8 would be looking good.

Lamar,

I've driven the E39 and E60 5-series, best cars I have ever driven, but the styling and iDrive don't do it for me. I haven't driven a G8, but I wouldn't buy it because of the interior.

Edited by smk4565

I don't like BMWs, but they are the best driving brand of cars, they are the benchmark. GM compares every performance car they have to BMW, but there is more to a BMW than 0-60 time, or skidpad number, there is the feel of the road, intangibles, and build quality. The M5 in its 5th model year still sells without a rebate, the CTS and G8 already have rebates after 1 year.

The G8 is typical poor product planning by GM. If Zeta wasn't overweight, and they developed an American looking sedan with great styling and gave it an interior suited for America (better than the Malibu LTZ's) they could have had a new Impala that would have been a success. Instead we get an Aussie retread that is selling even worse than the GTO did.

Bull$h!, all of it.

The G8 is a great car introduced into an awful time - end of report.

The fact that you "don't like BMWs" speak volumes about you. BMWs are amazing cars - just priced beyond reason (and bangled for a while). An Impala? Which one? FWD? RWD? : either way, the G8 had nothing to do with the fate of a new Impala. Get a clue.

I imagine a large amount of e60's sold are 528's. The 528i does it in 7.1..."which isn't really a true performance car" either. What's your point?

Bull$h!, all of it.

The G8 is a great car introduced into an awful time - end of report.

The fact that you "don't like BMWs" speak volumes about you. BMWs are amazing cars - just priced beyond reason (and bangled for a while). An Impala? Which one? FWD? RWD? : either way, the G8 had nothing to do with the fate of a new Impala. Get a clue.

Great cars still well in awful times.

By "don't like" I meant I don't like the styling and probably wouldn't buy one. I know they make a great car, best car I have ever driven, and the inline 6 is great, perhaps better than their V8. The 5-series drives so well I'd consider it even though it is ugly and has iDrive. Luckily the Jaguar XF came along and is better.

RWD Impala. A $26-35k rear drive Impala to go against the 300C would be great, and they would have a big advantage over the front drive Maxima and Avalon.

RWD Impala. A $26-35k rear drive Impala to go against the 300C would be great, and they would have a big advantage over the front drive Maxima and Avalon.

You seriously think the 300C, Charger (the actual Impala competitor), Avalon, and Maxima get crosshoped?

By "don't like" I meant I don't like the styling and probably wouldn't buy one. I know they make a great car, best car I have ever driven, and the inline 6 is great, perhaps better than their V8. The 5-series drives so well I'd consider it even though it is ugly and has iDrive. Luckily the Jaguar XF came along and is better.

Do they now? That's why nearly every automaker has been day these several months.

The G8 is an excellent car, every auto rag has been saying that. You're so full of $h! it isn't even funny.

You still don't realize that just because car A and car B are similar in price, does not mean everyone will go for car A. Car B has merits that car A does not, and that appeals to some buyers.

Get a clue.

Fair deal on the BMW styling, especially iDrive and the Bangle influence (although it still gets copied by Asians, but that's for another thread).

The 300C? You mean the *pushrod* Hemi 300C? Or the *pushrod* Hemi 300C SRT8? (substitute in Charger R/T and Charger SRT8 where applicable) BTW, the G8 in all its powertrains goes against the Chrysler LX sedans... so a lower-volume competitor is already there.

You need to stop confusing what you don't like and what constitutes a bad car - they are not the same thing.

On BMW: I am fortunate to have spent a great deal of time behind the wheel of several last gen M5s, it is flat out the best all-around car I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. With that said, my 2004 GTO was a very close second. And you wonder why I like the G8 so much. :rolleyes: All three cars hit exactly the same sweet spot in diving enjoyment for me. But the Pontiacs are attainable and worth every penny. BMW enjoys the ability to charge more than their cars are worth. But they had to earn that privilege over time. The GTO and the G8 are part of that earning process for Pontiac - and constitute a bargain for those that "get it".

Interestingly, that G8 GXP is is wearing Australian registration plates.

All the G8 engineering/mule cars are from GMH in Port Melbourne, and this year, Victorian plates starting with WHH are usually reserved for Holden engineering/mule vehicles.

Actually, Camino you make an excellent point about Pontiac products and BMW products hitting the same "sweet spot" in driving enjoyment. Out on the road, they really, really do.

But then I'm not a brand snob.

Chris

You need to stop confusing what you don't like and what constitutes a bad car - they are not the same thing.

On BMW: I am fortunate to have spent a great deal of time behind the wheel of several last gen M5s, it is flat out the best all-around car I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. With that said, my 2004 GTO was a very close second. And you wonder why I like the G8 so much. :rolleyes: All three cars hit exactly the same sweet spot in diving enjoyment for me. But the Pontiacs are attainable and worth every penny. BMW enjoys the ability to charge more than their cars are worth. But they had to earn that privilege over time. The GTO and the G8 are part of that earning process for Pontiac - and constitute a bargain for those that "get it".

Oh man...I wanted a LS2 GTO so badly. I've test driven them so many times. It was funny how closely it matched the e39 even down to dimensions and weight. Maybe that's why I loved it so much. It felt like I was driving my 5er, except much more powerful. My dream car is still an e39 M5. The S62 is a nice engine...my favorite BMW engine, but I would love the M5 even more if it had a LS2 instead.

Oh man...I wanted a LS2 GTO so badly. I've test driven them so many times. It was funny how closely it matched the e39 even down to dimensions and weight. Maybe that's why I loved it so much. It felt like I was driving my 5er, except much more powerful. My dream car is still an e39 M5. The S62 is a nice engine...my favorite BMW engine, but I would love the M5 even more if it had a LS2 instead.

Just highlighting that... in case somebody missed it.

Hey smk? You reading all of this ya troll?

I read it all, but I made my point already. People can praise the car all day, they sold 1,000 last month, 12,000 so far all year. GM needs more than 12k units a year out of a product if they want to make money and stay in business.

People can praise the BMW 6-series all day, they sold 493 in June '08 - down almost 40% from the year before. Like some dolt erronously said; 'Great cars still well in awful times', so this obviously means the 6-series is a piece of sh!t.

7-series only sold 814 units in June '08 - down close to 25% from the year before- more sh!tty numbers. S-class sold almost 1400 in the same period. BMW has lost marketshare since the CTS debuted, they should just invest the 7-series budget into the 5-series and make that a clear class-leader and drop the 7 ('no one buys them anymore') ; 5'er class is getting very crowded at the top.

BMW's june '08 sales dropped 170 times more than mercedes' (0.1% vs. 17%).

People can praise the BMW 6-series all day, they sold 493 in June '08 - down almost 40% from the year before. Like some dolt erronously said; 'Great cars still well in awful times', so this obviously means the 6-series is a piece of sh!t.

7-series only sold 814 units in June '08 - down close to 25% from the year before- more sh!tty numbers. S-class sold almost 1400 in the same period. BMW has lost marketshare since the CTS debuted, they should just invest the 7-series budget into the 5-series and make that a clear class-leader and drop the 7 ('no one buys them anymore') ; 5'er class is getting very crowded at the top.

BMW's june '08 sales dropped 170 times more than mercedes' (0.1% vs. 17%).

Nice one, sir.

i set foot in an infiniti showroom last week because they had a used vehicle i wanted to try. all the new infinitis on their floor were over 45 grand. including the EX35 hatchback, which is no bigger than a mazda3 inside.

i set foot in an infiniti showroom last week because they had a used vehicle i wanted to try. all the new infinitis on their floor were over 45 grand. including the EX35 hatchback, which is no bigger than a mazda3 inside.

There is nothing special about their interiors either. They don't have a clear advantage over a G8

I hate to sound like a troll myself, but both the Infinity and Maxima are really bland IMHO.

Chris

I don't find either bland, especially the G37 coupe and the new Maxima. The design is much more expressive than the last one.

However since the Maxima cribbed the Infiniti's interior design it makes the Infiniti feel less special inside.

Chris

Honestly you got it right again. Don't bring in the Charger it isn't doing much better when you take out fleet sales.