Back Home In The USA One Day And ...

Stopped by a Delaware State Police Sobriety/Safety Check! How I've missed the Patriot Act!

Living in the European Union I've forgotten what a police state the USA has become.

State Police - I'm officer blah blah blah, we are conducting a sobriety/safety check!

Me - Ohh?

State Police - Yes, have you had anything to drink tonight?

Me - Yes.

State Police - What were you drinking?

Me - Water.

State Police - Looks to see if I have my seat belt on and then asked, Where did you just come from Sir?

Me - How is that question related to a sobriety/safety check?

State Police - Face gets bright red. Then asks Where are you going to Sir?

Me - Again, How are these questions related to your Sobriety/Safety check? I think you're violating a whole slue of my Constitutional rights by asking these questions.

State Police - Face beat red now, pull over we will need to run your tag and check for warrants, have your license and registration ready.

Now I could have taken the easy road and just answered their questions, but it's the principle of these Gestapo like questions that got to me, it reminded me of how the Gestapo would always ask German citizens for their "Papers Please!".

In the end they had to let me go, no warrants, no points, no violations of any kind, I smirked at them as I drove off. They only threw Safety Check on their Gestapo check so the Delaware State Legislature would vote for it.

Land of the Free MY ASS!

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Maryland state troopers pulled a lady in an N-body Malibu over at the toll plaza before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and they were giving her a sobriety check. I pulled into the toll booth next to hers, and saw that she was failing the test pretty badly. They're out there for a reason, don't take it personally.

Myself, I didn't see a police car the entire drive through Sussex County. It's like the police presence disappeared once I crossed into Delaware.

Two Maryland state troopers pulled a lady in an N-body Malibu over at the toll plaza before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and they were giving her a sobriety check. I pulled into the toll booth next to hers, and saw that she was failing the test pretty badly. They're out there for a reason, don't take it personally.

Myself, I didn't see a police car the entire drive through Sussex County. It's like the police presence disappeared once I crossed into Delaware.

That's because all the Delaware State police are up here in New Castle County harassing me!

Next time I get stopped I will only speak German, lets see how they handle that! :AH-HA_wink:

What irritates me is I live in a small suburb thats mostly owned by one family and when they or their kids get pulled over for drunk driving or speeding, the cops panic when they realize who they pulled over and can't get the hell out of there fast enough. The one thing I can say is they are pretty good about not throwing the book at our teenagers, they just call us to come get them usually.

What irritates me is I live in a small suburb thats mostly owned by one family and when they or their kids get pulled over for drunk driving or speeding, the cops panic when they realize who they pulled over and can't get the hell out of there fast enough. The one thing I can say is they are pretty good about not throwing the book at our teenagers, they just call us to come get them usually.

But my mom lives in Texas! :smilewide:

Perhaps, just perhaps... they have learned from doing these checkpoints for -oh, decades- that "yes" and "water" are not quite enough to 1. accurately gauge the truth of the answers, and 2. accurately gauge the possible drunkenness of the respondant.

Perhaps you'd consent to a roadside lie detector test, should only take 30-40 minutes, so you won't have to tell them you just had the combo special at the CrackWhoreHouse Emporium....

Just so you can "feel free", some $h!head gets to mow thru someone's living room picture window in his 5300 lb BMW SUV and kill a family of 5 because all you would have them say is 'Have you been drinking?" and "Have a nice night".... because it's all about... you... and your fweelings...

The last time I was unable to talk my way out of a ticket, I met my now fiancee in court, so sometimes cool $h! happens. Other times its a huge pain. When I was 16 (seems like so long ago) I was driving my Dakota with the windows down. The Tom Petty classic Free Fallin was on the radio, so I cranked it and started singing along. I cant sing for $h!, I sounded quite bad. I ended up being pulled over by a cop who thought I was drunk. Fun times.

The last time I was unable to talk my way out of a ticket, I met my now fiancee in court, so sometimes cool $h! happens. Other times its a huge pain. When I was 16 (seems like so long ago) I was driving my Dakota with the windows down. The Tom Petty classic Free Fallin was on the radio, so I cranked it and started singing along. I cant sing for $h!, I sounded quite bad. I ended up being pulled over by a cop who thought I was drunk. Fun times.

but RUNNIN DOWN A DREAM is a better air guitar tune

You are lucky to have gotten away like that...in many parts of the country, backtalk like that would have resulted in an arrest or a beating w/ their batons, tasering or worse...

I'm sure many police cops are honest and legit, but many are armed sociopaths.

Edited by moltar

Oh good; glad we've established this is another rant about absolutely nothing other than obtuse behavior & the opportunity to slam an entire country over a 1-minute exchange between 2 indivudals.

Not to worry, I have a feeling the Patriot Act is about to go through a highly needed revision, come January 20th. :AH-HA_wink:

>>"Not to worry, I have a feeling the Patriot Act is about to go through a highly needed revision, come January 20th. "<<

The only thing I see to worry about from your standpoint is your apparent belief that roadside sobriety checks have anything to do with the Patriot Act. RSCs have been around a lot longer than 2001.

>>"Not to worry, I have a feeling the Patriot Act is about to go through a highly needed revision, come January 20th. "<<

The only thing I see to worry about from your standpoint is your apparent belief that roadside sobriety checks have anything to do with the Patriot Act. RSCs have been around a lot longer than 2001.

Not at all, but out new governor elect is very tied to Obama, so both the Patriot Act and these (cough, Sobriety/Safety checks, cough) will be highly revised come January. It will be the police who will be limited, not the Delaware citizens.

If you knew someone who had been killed or severely injured by a drunk driver I'm sure you'd be soooo upset about having checkpoints to check to make sure no one has had too much to drink :rolleyes:

Maybe you shouldn't act like such a pompous ass all the time and as if you're somehow above the law that everyone else abides by... you know what the officer meant when he asked if you had had anything to drink, no need to be a smart ass and say you'd been drinking water.

Perhaps your attitude is shared around GM and that's why GM is now in such bad shape. I wonder how many GM employee's go around with an "I'm better than everyone else" attitude, when in fact they aren't and just make themselves look like pricks.

If you knew someone who had been killed or severely injured by a drunk driver I'm sure you'd be soooo upset about having checkpoints to check to make sure no one has had too much to drink :rolleyes:

Maybe you shouldn't act like such a pompous ass all the time and as if you're somehow above the law that everyone else abides by... you know what the officer meant when he asked if you had had anything to drink, no need to be a smart ass and say you'd been drinking water.

Perhaps your attitude is shared around GM and that's why GM is now in such bad shape. I wonder how many GM employee's go around with an "I'm better than everyone else" attitude, when in fact they aren't and just make themselves look like pricks.

Right my little road stop brought down GM! :rolleyes:

Right my little road stop brought down GM! :rolleyes:

That's not what I said at all, I said it's you're "I'm better than everyone else" attitude. Why don't you read what I wrote? You're arrogant and think you're above the standards of everyone else, and you look like a prick with how you act towards a "lowly" police officer. I'm sure you'd be really mad you were stopped if you found out a motorists traveling the opposite direction of you was found to be highly intoxicated a few minutes prior to you crossing paths with that motorist and therefore didn't cause an accident with you or anyone else. It's a traffic checkpoint and it keeps you and other motorists potentially safe from harm, and probably delays your trip by less than 3 minutes if you don't feel you're above such a checkpoint and act like a total snob.

Wow, way to be a total asshole to a guy trying to do his job.

Exactly. It's not like PCS was driving along just fine, not speeding, staying perfectly in his lane and the police officer decided to turn on his lights and stop him for no reason. That would be a total asshole move by the officer; instead, PCS decides he was too cool to be stopped and treated like every other lowly person and decides to be an ass himself.

Exactly. It's not like PCS was driving along just fine, not speeding, staying perfectly in his lane and the police officer decided to turn on his lights and stop him for no reason. That would be a total asshole move by the officer; instead, PCS decides he was too cool to be stopped and treated like every other lowly person and decides to be an ass himself.

No you miss understand, in Delaware they set up road blocks and pull every car over, there was no just cause to pull me over, they pulled everyone on the road over.

Not at all, but out new governor elect is very tied to Obama, so both the Patriot Act and these (cough, Sobriety/Safety checks, cough) will be highly revised come January. It will be the police who will be limited, not the Delaware citizens.

Can {cough, partisan politics, cough} actually cause blindness ?

Obama is NOT going to strike down sobriety checkpoints (and if the Patriot Act is stricken, nor will it) because only drunks and the righteously obtuse oppose them, and there's not enough votes there to cater to.

Do you also advocate to your superiors, the removal of all automotive seatbelts because they're 'freedom restrictors' ??

>>"Just standing up for my individual rights as a US citizen..."<<

You do not have the "right" to have a driver's license nor operate a motor vehicle.

The police / the court DOES have the right to pull your license if you disobey the laws you were granted your license under in the name of public safety.

Edited by balthazar

Just standing up for my individual rights as a US citizen, oh that's right, you're in Canada.

Another example of your classless attitude. You make a thread essentially bitching about how you had to defend your rights as a US citizen and then rip on someone not from the US. And, what's more, all this is coming from someone who spends a lot of their time living somewhere BESIDES THE US. Wow, way to make yourself look even more like an ass; I didn't think you could go any farther.

And if all you were doing was standing up for your rights, then why are you so mad about having the right to do so? Why aren't you happy that you could do so?

No you miss understand, in Delaware they set up road blocks and pull every car over, there was no just cause to pull me over, they pulled everyone on the road over.

No, I understand how it works, I've been through one; took about a minute or so of my time, 45 seconds or so of that was waiting for other cars to pass through. You misunderstood what I said. That's exactly what makes you look like such an asshole. They pull EVERY CAR OVER, NOT JUST YOU!!! Then you act as if you're above everyone and act like you shouldn't be subjected to the same checkpoint as everyone else... it's not as if you were driving along like every other car perfectly fine and for whatever reason they just decided to pull ONLY YOU over, they pulled EVERYONE OVER. Big difference.

If they pulled only you over while you were driving perfectly fine, you would reason to have a beef with it, but that was not the case.

Can {cough, partisan politics, cough} actually cause blindness ?

Obama is NOT going to strike down sobriety checkpoints (and if the Patriot Act is stricken, nor will it) because only drunks and the righteously obtuse oppose them, and there's not enough votes there to cater to.

Do you also advocate to your superiors, the removal of all automotive seatbelts because they're 'freedom restrictors' ??

>>"Just standing up for my individual rights as a US citizen..."<<

You do not have the "right" to have a driver's license nor operate a motor vehicle.

The seat belt law has not been in effect all that long in Delaware, citizens fought it for years. There is no helmet law for those who ride motorcycles in Delaware either, it's considered a law against individual freedom here.

Not to worry, I have a feeling the Patriot Act is about to go through a highly needed revision, come January 20th. :AH-HA_wink:

Dumbass, this has been going on since long before the Patriot Act was a tickle in George Bush's scrotum. I've was pulled over for a sobriety check back in the 1990s set up just in front of my street.

I suspect that you are highly wrong.

I'm very happy about standing up for my rights, and am very happy that the Dems have taken over that statehouse finally, they will change the law here, come January so the State police can no longer do the blanket pullovers and must have just cause to pull someone over, that's how its supposed to be.

Can you cite the law that is being proposed in the legislature?

Do we need to have an "I'm just a Bill" singalong?

DE DOES have helmet law if you are under 19.

DE's current compliance rate for seatbelts is 84%, or 2% over the national average. Seems pretty well embraced.

DE upgraded their seat belt law to a primary offense 5 years ago in '03, so the base seat belt law is obviously older than that.

Back to point: sobriety checkpoints are NOT related to the Patriot Act and they are NOT going away.

The only legitimate objection to answering a few questions for 30 seconds is if you intend to drive drunk.

You will spend far more time and at more occurances going thru vehicle inspection than you ever will going thru sobriety checkpoints. I think I've been thru 2 in my licensed life- BFD.

In Canada, we have this lovely group, called MADD (Mother's Against Drunk Driver's). This was all started quite a few years back by (surprise, surprise) a woman whose son was killed by a drunk driver. Although it sucks to be the victim, since there are so many victims to select from, where will all this end?

Many of you guys support the love of 400 hp, RWD, V-8 fire-breathing engines, but understand that these same safety nazis will get around to your love of cars, too.

There are some laws that are common sense, like safety belt laws. Harmless, innocuous even; however, what is the difference between the Soviet-style roadblocks of the '70s/'80s and the roadblocks that many States/Provinces condone that allow police to pull over every car that is passing by, under the guise of sobriety checks or 'safety' checks? Really, explain to me what the difference is.

I used to live in a small town that exploded in population every summer. (Wasaga Beach for all you Ontarians.) Every April the local constabulary would hire a couple dozen officers to police the upcoming quintuppling of the population. These officers largely had nothing to do for a few week until June, so virtually every night they set up a road block across the main street and forced every motorist into the Lion's Club parking lot for random searches/breathalizers. EVERY CAR.

Since I worked until 10 pm every night in those days, you can bet I was beyond aggravated when I got pulled over nearly every night and interrogated.

I don't envy the police their jobs, but we are on a slippery slope. Toronto is installing red light cameras on more and more streets every year. What reasonable person would oppose such a thing? Look at London and their thousands of street cameras, installed for public safety.

Where will it end? Gun control laws. What reasonable person needs a gun? Mandatory, mass DNA testing to be kept in police data banks, under lock and key, of course.

Orwell and Huxley had a pretty good idea where this is all going to end. And they warned us.

Dumbass, this has been going on since long before the Patriot Act was a tickle in George Bush's scrotum. I've was pulled over for a sobriety check back in the 1990s set up just in front of my street.

I didn't say it wasn't, but the people in Delaware have asked that these sweeping checks be curtailed, with the old Repubs in the Statehouse blocking the will of the people each and every time. But they no longer control the State Senate, or the State House of Representatives and of course our Governor is Blue. So what I was saying was that come January this will be amended along with Obama taking a long hard look at the P A.

The legislature goes back to work in January, these were campaign promises, and will be acted on then

I wonder why I am the only member here who is called Dumbass, pompous ass, smart ass, prick, asshole, arrogant, etc.

I have always treated people on C&G with respect and have never resorted to name calling or used the above listed epitaphs to anyone here.

Seems there are different rules here, when it comes to me anyhow.

Have a Great Thanksgiving!!!

I didn't say it wasn't, but the people in Delaware have asked that these sweeping checks be curtailed, with the old Repubs in the Statehouse blocking the will of the people each and every time. But they no longer control the State Senate, or the State House of Representatives and of course our Governor is Blue. So what I was saying was that come January this will be amended along with Obama taking a long hard look at the P A.

The legislature goes back to work in January, these we campaign promises, and will be acted on then

I wonder why I am the only member here who is called Dumbass, pompous ass, smart ass, prick, asshole, arrogant, etc.

I have always treated people on C&G with respect and have never resorted to name calling or used the above listed epitaphs to anyone here.

Anyone that'd posture the 'Global-Reach'-ethic as you do is subject to the slings and arrows. You're too easily peeved and therefore playable for wearing your 'feelings' on your sleeve.

This thread reminds me..does any state still do roadside vehicle inspections? I remember those in Ohio back in the '70s--cars flagged to over to check your headlights, wipers, etc. Haven't ever been stopped at one as an adult.

The Denver area had the sobriety checkpoints, but they would be announced on the radio so I knew which roads to avoid.

The only checkpoints I've ever been stopped at are at the California line where they are looking for veggies, etc and ones in NM where they are looking for illegals.

This thread reminds me..does any state still do roadside vehicle inspections? I remember those in Ohio back in the '70s--cars flagged to over to check your headlights, wipers, etc. Haven't ever been stopped at one as an adult.

The Denver area had the sobriety checkpoints, but they would be announced on the radio so I knew which roads to avoid.

The only checkpoints I've ever been stopped at are at the California line where they are looking for veggies, etc and ones in NM where they are looking for illegals.

PA still does it.

The legislature goes back to work in January, these were campaign promises, and will be acted on then

You're smartassing a cop in a situation where they are asking everyone the same canned questions. A simple "No officer" would have sent you on your way. Don't like the term dumbass even though in this case it qualifies? How about asshat? What you did was stupid, do you want me to sugar coat it for you?

Was this yesterday? Because the Wednesday before thanks giving is one of the biggest bar nights in America.

Drunk people are dangerous when they are on the road so they are protecting your safety.

Yes, there is a little corruption in our police system and there is almost a quota system that they need to bring in so much revenue from tickets and DUI/OWI are the biggest money makers. How ever if a City/State sets up a sting and it works then they keep on doing them. If no one is drunk or not wearing there seat belt than they dont make money off them than they no longer do them.

These are not bad things nor do they impact your rights. Do you bitch when they search you on an airplane? because that vioates your rights way more than a sobriety check point.

You're smartassing a cop in a situation where they are asking everyone the same canned questions. A simple "No officer" would have sent you on your way. Don't like the term dumbass even though in this case it qualifies? How about asshat? What you did was stupid, do you want me to sugar coat it for you?

Actually Oldsmoboi, I rarely pay much attention to what you say one way or another.

They had the road tied up for 25 minutes, they had a major road blocked off that I95 feeds into, and they had no business asking me where I was, and where was I going.

Next time, if there is a next time, I will tell them the truth.

I was at the pharmacy buying condoms, and I'm going home to F my wife. let's see how they process that.

It's an invasion of privacy and an affront to personal liberty to boot

It's a slippery slope!

Actually Oldsmoboi, I rarely pay much attention to what you say one way or another.

They had the road tied up for 25 minutes, they had a major road blocked off that I95 feeds into, and they had no business asking me where I was, and where was I going.

Next time, if there is a next time, I will tell them the truth.

I was at the pharmacy buying condoms, and I'm going home to F my wife. let's see how they process that.

It's an invasion of privacy and an affront to personal liberty to boot

It's a slippery slope!

What if you had no wife to F because she was killed by a drunk driver that didn't get stopped because there were no sobriety checkpoints? Because, unfortunately, something like that is often what it will take for a smug asswipe like you to realize the necessity and importance of such a procedure.