a sad note...

I'm sad to say tonight that I've lost my grandfather to failure of the heart. He'd been in the hospital for six weeks and he had a Valve Replacement Surgery on the 15th of December. As it turns out something went wrong with a different part of the heart after the surgery and he had been on full life support. He began to peter out this evening and I had a Calculus Final at the university until 9PM, I arrived within enough time to say my final goodbyes to a man who has meant so much to me. I suppose if there is a silver lining in his passing, it's that in a Biopsy done during the surgery it was discovered that he had Lung Cancer, and it had progressed to the point where it was not treatable... he would have had a year to live. If I can find any comfort in what has transpired over possible the worst days of my life it's that he did not consciously suffer after his surgery and died peacefully, rather than suffering a long sad, painful decline that would have taken it's toll on everyone he knew.

I think the best thing I can do now is write something about how much he meant to me... perhaps I'll share those thoughts later.

Meantime I'd really appreciate your prayers for his eternal well being and for strength and fortitude to my Grandmother, his wife of sixty years, at this time.

Sorry to hear about this.. Your grandfather is in my prayers.. The way he went does sound to be much better than a painful year of cancer, however.. I'm not sure what I believe in regards to the afterlife - but if there is one, you'll surely see him again one day. If not, than he's free to rest for eternity - as we will be one day.

Thank you very much, I also feel relieved that he lived his life with a clear mind. His younger and older brothers both ended up going down the dark path of dementia and I feel happy that he lived his life, in it's entirety without a single noticeable dulling of the mind. He privately confided in me many times that this was his greatest fear, to end up like them.

Mr. vonVee, I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. If a person is close to their grandparents, there is nothing like that relationship. A special bond with more freedom than parent-child because the disciplinary aspect is not nearly as strong, a grandchild keeps his grandparents young, and a grandparent lends wisdom of years that can be invaluable to the child as he makes his way.

My late grandfather visited me in a dream the other night.

Edited by ocnblu

Thanks, the family seems to want me to eulogize him, so been writing things down that my two cousins and brother want me to address, as well as my brother's memories... It's really sad because he was so looking forward to coming home after the surgery and driving his car, god how he loved that car. We've arranged so the funeral procession will drive past their house and stop, so he can see his car one last time, and see the Christmas Tree fully lit up. Some strange things happened today that can only make me think that he's present in spirit.

I spent all day with my grandmother and my parents, aunts and uncles. My grandma was so heartbroken about the car not being driven that I told her that as long as she wants I will come over and run the engine, scrape off ice and snow and make it look like it's being regularly driven, since the car hadn't been driven in six weeks I went and I plugged in the block heater for a few hours and then went out... The keyless entry unlocked the car but then I got in and turned the key and the battery was dead. My dad told me that if the battery was toast then we wouldn't worry about running it. So I go to turn the car into the off position and the cylinder stops moving between "Acc" and "Off". at this point the only option was to get the people from GM Roadside Assistance to come and jump the car to get it running, so we could either see if the key would come out then, or take it down to the dealer for them to fix there. Sure enough the roadside assistance people come and boost the car, it runs for an hour and a half and I turn it off, the key comes out of the ignition just fine. Funny thing is I tried to start it when it was frozen with a dead battery once before, it wouldn't start and the key just came out fine. Go ahead and call me nutso but something tells me that he was there wanting his car to be run, and interfered so we basically had to do so. Also my father had been wearing his "Wrap Around" sunglasses and my grandfather never cared for them. My dad misplaced them after leaving them on the counter. He went out but then came back and the glasses were in one of my grandfather's shoes... on the shoerack on a different floor of the house.

Am I crazy or have other people who've lost people dear to them experienced similar things?

My sympathy goes out to you, your Gradmother and all of your family for your loss, especially at a time when the holidays are at hand and you are wrapping up a semester of school. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. I was moved that you had such positive thoughts about your Grandfather and how he shaped your life. That will be a source of strength and inspiration for you. God bless all of you at this time.

I'm sad to say tonight that I've lost my grandfather to failure of the heart. He'd been in the hospital for six weeks and he had a Valve Replacement Surgery on the 15th of December.

Aye. What type of VRS did he have?

Am I crazy or have other people who've lost people dear to them experienced similar things?

You're not crazy; I've experienced similar things with the deaths of my grandparents, too.

Thoughts/prayers coming to you and your entire family.....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It's coming on Christmas" ... Robert Downey Jr ... 'River'