Followers 0
FUTURE_OF_GM

Why GM must win the urban war

107 posts in this topic

Win the cities or lose the war

Why GM must take back market share in America's urban centers

Dateline: Europe

Ceding Urban Areas

The domestic automakers - GM in particular - have ceded urban areas focusing their efforts on the suburban and rural marketplace. America's large cities such as Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles are largely responsible for establishing and setting societal trends, what's "hip and cool" in the culture. A demonstrated inability to generate product for and market that product to America's major cities portends significant problems for GM, especially in the medium and long term. An inability to reach these areas prevents GM from reaching the trend setters and policy makers of today and tomorrow. Because of its inability or refusal to market to these communities, GM has assured itself of eventual cultural irrelevance.

Remember in the Congressional testimony when Congress-critters were running around saying that Detroit needed to reform itself and build cars that people actually wanted? That was indicative of THIS problem. When Warren Brown researched new car registrations in the District of Columbia, a whopping 23% were domestics. German automakers routinely sell as many cars as the Big Three do in DC. The domestics just aren't relevant in DC and that's where the policy is made. Part of that irrelevancy is a lack of product that is attractive to urbanites (class leading smaller cars) and the other part is a total lack of marketing in these areas. Both of these combine to create the yawning gap between perception and reality about the domestic auto industry.

Just to give you an idea of how terribly GM's marketing has been focused: GM recently ran ads in Vanity Fair (the one with Tina Fey on the cover). Between ads of Mercedes, Jaguar, Bentley, Louis Vitton, Chanel, Barney's, Vera Wang and Jimmi Choo was an ad for a Chevy(?!) talking about a deal with a coupon giving you $15 off at a shoe warehouse (???!!!) for test driving a Traverse. Epic Fail. There are maybe two or three brands GM has which fit the profile of a Vanity Fair reader and Chevrolet isn't one of them.

Reaching Urban Areas

When was the last time you saw a Proctor and Gamble ad and when was the last time you saw a Crest toothpaste ad? Yet, GM insists on cutting ads advertising itself as the brand completely ignoring it's greatest asset - It's actual brands. Reaching urban areas will require GM to refocus its branding emphasis from GM back to its brands and target those brands at specific niches of American society. (This doesn't change the fact I think GM is still over branded and until someone can explain the difference between Pontiac, Saturn, Buick, GMC with regard to the audiences they are supposed to reach I'll continue to think that).

1)Targeted Advertising: The shotgun approach to marketing in urban areas will ensure lots of money is spent and that whatever GM does, its effort will be lost in the surrounding media clutter. Breaking through the media clutter and creating an effective ad campaign which reaches urban consumers will require GM to abandon to abandon its normal marketing approach.

Major cities are made up off blocks of consumers which normally break down along specific demographic lines. Advertising targeted towards the GLBT community (which there is none of) would probably not be effective when targeted towards the black community (again where there is little to no specific advertising). The solution is demographic specific advertising.

Micro targeting ad campaigns towards specific communities allows for GM to launch national ad campaigns (giving them some efficiency of scale) but allows them to access urban communities where a "message for everyone" would be lost in the clutter. Specific appeals between from a company to a specific group of consumers also helps to create a relationship between a demographic and company, building brand loyalty. Such intangibles, such as brand "likability" are important towards expanding the number of people who are willing to consider purchasing a car from brand "X."

For instance - the GLBT community in this country has more disposable income than any other demographic group in the country. Combined with their status as trendsetters (see metrosexual, see yuppie, see hipster, see Madonna) it makes them one of the groups most sought after by advertisers. Furthermore, they are a significant portion of the population in most urban centers - a market GM needs to access. GM spends very little money and zero effort targeting them with advertising. Why? Conservative corporate culture? Run by old men who haven't left Detroit since Carter was president? I don't know and I don't care, but I do know this; GM's refusal to do so, and this is just one instance of such stupidity, is killing the company. It makes GM look backwards, out of step, and about as culturally relevant as Duran Duran (or Pontiac).

What makes this all so disappointing is GM has a good story to tell the community about it's efforts to stop corporate discrimination and to become an inclusive company. Did you know GM has one of the largest GLBT employee groups in the world? Did you know that GM has received a perfect score from HRC for its hiring and non-discrimination policies and that GM is held as a model example for how to deal with issues arising from such a diverse workforce? No?! Neither was I until I looked it up. In a completely unscientific survey (conversations I've had) not a person has known and would have given whatever GM product was in consideration greater preference had they known that.

Let's take Cadillac's current "Life, LIberty and the Pursuit of" mantra. How much money would it take to adapt that into a passible campaign targeting the GLBT community? How about... "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Equality" with an ad talking about the points I mentioned above? It would take half a day with a copy of Photoshop, InDesign and some stock photography to put it together.

For Instance - Branding must be improved to target specific demographics. Each brand needs to come up with a demographic of customers that it plans to attract, how it plans to attract it, and with which product it will do this. Saturn, Pontiac, Buick, SAAB and in some cases Cadillac all seem to be chasing after the same consumers. The insanity needs to end now. If the brands can't clearly delineate who they plan to attract with various marketing campaigns and products then the brands should be shuttered in the North American market.

I won't get into hypothetical what brand goes where exercises because such discussion will distract from the points I'm trying to make about how GM has failed to successfully create products for and market products to America's major cities.

2) Relevant Product:

Marketing will only work when coupled with products that are relevant to the marketplace. This only underlines the importance of several GM product launches including the Cruze, Volt, ATS, 2012 Astra, and 9-1/9-3. GM has to demonstrate it has the capacity to build, not just competent, but class leading small cars. GM compacts are automatically dismissed as rental specials and no amount of marketing will be able to change that until the product shows a demonstrable change in GM's focus from large SUV's and trucks to segments it has long neglected. In turn, GM must realize that a continued focus on SUV's and trucks will condemn the automaker to bit player status in urban markets - and it's continued slide towards culturally irrelevancy.

The Cruze, Volt, 2012 Astra, 9-3/9-1 and the Cadillac ATS will be instrumental in demonstrating GM's new found commitment to smaller cars. All of these models will need to be offered with a variety of body styles including sedans, wagons and or hatchbacks, coupes and maybe even convertibles. They will all need multiple variants including luxury and sporting models, hybrids, diesels and even optional electrical drive (beyond the Volt). Realizing the importance of the environment to many living in urban areas, GM should go as far as to take a page out of Ford's book and offer an optional interior with a recyclable interior (Fusion Hybrid). Furthermore each of these cars must have a full slate of options available including Bluetooth, iPod integration, navigation, blind side warning systems etc.

3)Conclusion

Failure to make these cars class leading will ensure failure in the marketplace and GM's eventual failure. Failure to market these cars correctly will ensure their failure and GM's eventual failure. This is General Motors last chance to get it right or they will again lose a generation of consumers. Unlike last time it won't be because of crappy product, this time because of irrelevant product.

Put your questions and comments below. I'll be slow getting back to them because it's 22:30 in Florence, I'm still jetlagged and I'm going to bed.

This is where GM's numerous brands could become a HUGE asset. Think of how well Saturn could do with a competitive line of small cars (like I outlined in my plan) Think of how well Saab would connect with some of these people.

The answers are so obvious, yet GM is so clueless.

It's absolutely essential that GM establish itself in the urban market; the rural-to-urban shift has been underway for 60 years now, and will continue to accelerate due to the fact that urban centers are where the new jobs are being created. Sadly, rural America is dying and I only see it getting worse because rural areas have nothing to offer Gen Y .

If GM can't break the negative perception they have in urban markets, there is no hope.

At least Ford has the benefit of being a global brand, one that's fairly popular around the world.

When I think of urban areas, I think of city cars... and Ford has a great lineup of them. The Fiesta is arguably Ford's most important upcoming car.

2009%20Ford%20Fiesta%20five-door-f3-4_40

Edited by empowah

Win the cities or lose the war

Why GM must take back market share in America's urban centers

I think you're on to something here. The problems in the urban areas date way back. I remember even back in 1970, I read somewhere about the ratio of fullsize Chevys to VW Bugs in the U.S., and I noted that the ratio was far different in the greater SF Bay Area from what I'd read. You can see it in the attitude of Cadillac, where the smallest Caddy available weighs over 4000 pounds, once you load it up with options. Alpha will fix that particular problem, if it makes it to market. It's too bad it's taking so long, because once a small Caddy is available, it will be years before that fact penetrates to the consciousness of a majority of car buyers.

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit" has been appearing, tailored to that market with same-sex couples shown in the ads, in GLBT-targeted magazines for as long as it's been in the mainstream media. So that point of the article is not entirely true. GM just has to keep it up. Edited by ocnblu

Still, the GLBT community is one of the most fractious, 'trendy' communities out there. Nobody knows lables like we do, and that is the trouble. Imported wine, imported designer labels, trips to Greece - these are the 'entitled' bragging rights of the affluent gay people I know. If given a choice between a Sky or M-5, most will default to the Mazda, not knowing a damned thing about it. Besides, most gays live in urban areas and don't own cars. I would challenge this with a big 'why bother?"

It's going to take more than cute advertising to correct that. I personally ran ads in a local gay newspaper for 6 months, about 8 years ago, and did not get one single contact from it.

In fact, truth be told, a few years ago there were many car ads, even from the likes of BMW, Acura and others in the local gay press: it's all gone now, which leads me to believe they couldn't produce results either.

Unless GM can find away to to sell cars in California, Florida and New York they will have a harder time gaining ground or retaining ground in all other parts of the country.

GM made a mistake of not tayloring cars for California as often most trends start there.

Toyota, Nissan and Honda started there.

They will not retake the California market in one car or even in one year. They need to earn it back and that starts with a good product and some very good marketing

Now they have good product it is on exclellent marketing and the cost of marketing to sell the product.

At least Ford has the benefit of being a global brand, one that's fairly popular around the world.

When I think of urban areas, I think of city cars... and Ford has a great lineup of them. The Fiesta is arguably Ford's most important upcoming car.

2009%20Ford%20Fiesta%20five-door-f3-4_40

Agreed on the Fiesta.

Chris

Still, the GLBT community is one of the most fractious, 'trendy' communities out there. Nobody knows lables like we do, and that is the trouble. Imported wine, imported designer labels, trips to Greece - these are the 'entitled' bragging rights of the affluent gay people I know. If given a choice between a Sky or M-5, most will default to the Mazda, not knowing a damned thing about it. Besides, most gays live in urban areas and don't own cars. I would challenge this with a big 'why bother?"

It's going to take more than cute advertising to correct that. I personally ran ads in a local gay newspaper for 6 months, about 8 years ago, and did not get one single contact from it.

In fact, truth be told, a few years ago there were many car ads, even from the likes of BMW, Acura and others in the local gay press: it's all gone now, which leads me to believe they couldn't produce results either.

Oddly enough after having been involved in the Miata community for over ten years, I only know of one guy (local SCCA/Miata club guy) who is "gay" and owns a Miata.

Most of the gay people here in Columbus, Ohio are VERY domestic oriented. The partner of the woman who runs an antiques store I frequent drives a second gen Scion xB, but she is the only openly gay person I know (other than Blackviper with his VW and Oldsmoboi's BF with his Honda) who drives an import.

Actually, I think the Sky/Solstice twins have about the broadest market penetration of any of the roadsters. Not sure why you think they wouldn't get good penetration in the gay community.

Chris

Most of the gay friends who aren't just e-friends drive imports.

Of the domestics, Ford has been better with courting GLBT dollars than GM with Jaguar and Volvo spending a lot of money in related advertisements.

The Volvo ad that always sticks out in my head is one where they show a silhouette of a driver seat and the hand brake is pulled. The caption said "We know. We're excited about pride too!"

My BF bought the CRV because he wanted to be able to "haul stuff". He doesn't know what he wanted to haul, but he just defaulted to a silver Japanese CUV appliance. I'll give him credit though, ever since he saw the Astra, he's wanted one. I told him we could get one in Germany.

Actually, I think the Sky/Solstice twins have about the broadest market penetration of any of the roadsters. Not sure why you think they wouldn't get good penetration in the gay community.

Chris

my head spins.

I'll give him credit though, ever since he saw the Astra, he's wanted one. I told him we could get one in Germany.

It's too bad the Astra never took off here at all. I have seen exactly, um...1 in the last 6 weeks on the road.

They have some really cool varients in Europe. Wish they sold those here.

Chris

It's too bad the Astra never took off here at all. I have seen exactly, um...1 in the last 6 weeks on the road.

They have some really cool varients in Europe. Wish they sold those here.

Chris

I have seen one in past one year and that too two weeks ago.

Not sure why you think they wouldn't get good penetration in the gay community.Chris

:scratchchin::mind-blowing: That is one way to put it. :lol:

Seriously, My wife works in a library system and there are many Alturnative live style and higher eductaion people there. I mean more than just gays as we have goths, feminist, witches collage students old hippies, needless to say a very diverse urban group.

Most drive imports and most are faily expensive imports since they have a faily good income.

Most of the ones I have met buy vehicles based on what they read, few are car people. They tend to believe what they read and they have had good enough service from the vehicles to not regret what they bought.

I was able to talk one into buying a Saturn Vue [Cat Person]. She has been very happy with it and is now glad she did not buy a Honda.

Another thinks she is saving the world in her Prius [note they are not getting great mileage and have visited the dealer about it] and Highlander Hybrid [old hippie].

Many have affordable cars including Cobalts and Hyundias.

Now the city officals here tend to drive Cadillacs [CTS] and Benz. Sure glad they raised my taxes.

Unless GM can find away to to sell cars in California, Florida and New York they will have a harder time gaining ground or retaining ground in all other parts of the country.

GM made a mistake of not tayloring cars for California as often most trends start there.

Toyota, Nissan and Honda started there.

They will not retake the California market in one car or even in one year. They need to earn it back and that starts with a good product and some very good marketing

Now they have good product it is on exclellent marketing and the cost of marketing to sell the product.

I agree...

I don't think it's so much about selling cars in urban areas as it is about conquering the negative image in the eyes of the urbanites that set the trends. (My education supports this in a big way, it is blatantly obvious to me. maybe not so much to GM)

I agree...

I don't think it's so much about selling cars in urban areas as it is about conquering the negative image in the eyes of the urbanites that set the trends. (My education supports this in a big way, it is blatantly obvious to me. maybe not so much to GM)

It is easy for someone to get a bad reputation but it is so much harder to regain the respect.

GM is like a ex convict. He may have served his time and may be a really good guy now with a freshly earned PHD. But the neighbors still wisper he is the guy that held up the bank 20 years ago.

Toyota is like Martha Stewart. Yes she may have been convicted of a feloney but to many in the public they feel it was not a real crime because there was no Gun. Toyota makes a mistake or have a problem they get a pass because they are not precived as evil.

GM is like the old Bank robber and has to go out and show and prove how they is no longer the thug and is prepared to give back. GM took a lot of money form people with poor quality cars over the years and robbed a lot of bank accounts when the owners need to repair them. That is trust that is going to be hard to earned.

GM did the right thing and admitted they made crap but they need to follow through with this and market the hell out of what they are doing right today.

Since GM is on Goverment welfare. they should show just what and where the money is going. This will show it is not wasted and should start to earn some trust. Also it will keep GM honest. The big catch phrase today seems to be Transparent. I know it was a bunch of election crap but for GM to become transparent to the public is a way to shead that old stoggy evil corperate image.

Apple makes themselves look as if they are your partner. The truth is Steve Jobs is just as hard nose as any CEO. But he makes sure they protect their name and image. GM forgot to protect their image and they have to earn it back.

GM needs to offer Quality, Value and Image in their vehicles then market the hell out of each model. If you can't afford to maket all your models properly then you have too many models.

As well as the Accord sells Honda still markets it heavily. They take nothing for granted.

Edited by hyperv6

It is easy for someone to get a bad reputation but it is so much harder to regain the respect.

GM is like a ex convict. He may have served his time and may be a really good guy now with a freshly earned PHD. But the neighbors still wisper he is the guy that held up the bank 20 years ago.

Toyota is like Martha Stewart. Yes she may have been convicted of a feloney but to many in the public they feel it was not a real crime because there was no Gun. Toyota makes a mistake or have a problem they get a pass because they are not precived as evil.

GM is like the old Bank robber and has to go out and show and prove how they is no longer the thug and is prepared to give back. GM took a lot of money form people with poor quality cars over the years and robbed a lot of bank accounts when the owners need to repair them. That is trust that is going to be hard to earned.

GM did the right thing and admitted they made crap but they need to follow through with this and market the hell out of what they are doing right today.

Since GM is on Goverment welfare. they should show just what and where the money is going. This will show it is not wasted and should start to earn some trust. Also it will keep GM honest. The big catch phrase today seems to be Transparent. I know it was a bunch of election crap but for GM to become transparent to the public is a way to shead that old stoggy evil corperate image.

Apple makes themselves look as if they are your partner. The truth is Steve Jobs is just as hard nose as any CEO. But he makes sure they protect their name and image. GM forgot to protect their image and they have to earn it back.

GM needs to offer Quality, Value and Image in their vehicles then market the hell out of each model. If you can't aford to maket all your models properly then you have too many models.

As well as the Accord sells Honda still markets it heavily. They take nothing for granted.

:yes:

Excellent Post!

with regards to cleaning up a reputation.....GM must learn that thier culture seeped into thier cars and thier lackadaisical attitude- towards consumers and quality achievements and advanced design- all caught the attention of drivers. it won't be after renewing one good product in one sector that GM will suddenly see a turnaround with half the buying public [those that buy cars]. GM's marketing team for many years viewed consumers as unsophisticated dolts--dolts clueless as to thier needs and wants, unwavering in thier 'don't fix something that ain't broke' buying habits, and unnoticing of huge strides being made in vehicle design around the corner.

much of the credit for GM's renewed understanding and focus on product design, I beleive, can be given to blogs like this. people who've come on and proven to GM they are capable of independent thought, that they aren't just going to fall into line with the old GM distribution system. that just because GM are huge and and have a huge legacy does not mean they are infallible. what a long and winding road it's been for the talking heads within GM to let this sink through. they are not too big, and most of the country does not care anymore. we've [i've] been pointing out to them for soooo long what thier problems were, and now they have the gall to come to us when the root of thier problem exposes itself. quick question, had GM managed a product turnaround fifteen years ago, with cars consistently placing on the 10 best list, winning critical acclaim, like the malibu of today, cars that ranked near the highest in comparison tests, and design that was being heralded and in demand, do you think we'd be sitting where we are today with GM using the government's help to get by?

in urban centers, due to mass penetration and population, imports have had a stand up chance. word of mouth. it's as simple as that. the rolling advertisement. but most importantly, word of mouth, legacy spreading. 'this is a great car, great handling, great steering, gas efficient engine, and it's roomy on the inside and nice looking.' 'plus on top of all this it's given me not half of the problems the last [insert American car] did.' imports released cars that consistently and thoroughly topped themselves. GM re-released versions of the same platform with less advanced tech [intrigue to Impala/Gran Prix/Lacrosse anyone????? aurora to Lucerne 3800 still in production!!!!]. GM focused on internal competition and renewing cars with what it viewed was enough improvement, then spent billions on advertising, where it felt it would always win. 'distribution and the company line, those zombies will pick up on it.' they spend billions on advertising. literally, how much capital are they still burning through trying to convince us the Cobalt XFE is truly as desirable or moreso to own than the competition [no offense to any cobalt owners as i still think they are decent little cars].

i'm sorry that this is coming across all a bit negative.....but the sad part is this is nothing but the truth. like much of corporate America, in thier quest for domination, they dumb everything down for the dumb consumer. they underestimated us. and now that's come to bite them in the butt. we've grown too sophisticated for thier common design.

Edited by turbo200

GM needs to offer Quality, Value and Image in their vehicles then market the hell out of each model. If you can't afford to maket all your models properly then you have too many models.

Audi

Nissan

VW

Hyundai

Even Kia

All back from the dead and all except Audi make unremarkable and certainly not the most reliable cars.

The thing that amazes me is that of the list Oldsmoboi gave (Nissan, VW, Audi, Hyundai, Kia) that VW continues despite poor ad/promo work.

Hyundai does a very good job promoting their product, and Nissan seems to have a really good feel for what people want.

Honestly, I wonder if Ford and Nissan aren't the best positioned for growth right now. Ford seems to "get it" the most of the domestics, and Nissan is building more exciting stuff/more interesting stuff than the other Asian carmakers.

Sixty-Six

I think Hyundai has rebounded relatively well from their 80's and 90's issues because back then they weren't selling nearly as many cars. Less people were affected personally by owning a bad one.

Edited by frogger

The thing that amazes me is that of the list Oldsmoboi gave (Nissan, VW, Audi, Hyundai, Kia) that VW continues despite poor ad/promo work.

Hyundai does a very good job promoting their product, and Nissan seems to have a really good feel for what people want.

Honestly, I wonder if Ford and Nissan aren't the best positioned for growth right now. Ford seems to "get it" the most of the domestics, and Nissan is building more exciting stuff/more interesting stuff than the other Asian carmakers.

Sixty-Six

Ya know...

I had a very scary experience a couple of weeks ago. When we totaled the Cavalier, we (finally) got a rental. The rental was a 2008 Nissan Sentra.

Now, I've never been a "small car enthusiast" even though I drive one everyday. I love my Focus (daily driver) and that's about it on the small car front aside from the occasional performance entry (Cobalt SS, MazdaSPEED 3, etc.)

However, I could definitely see myself (In a parallel life where I wasn't a domestic communist) buying and really enjoying a Nissan Sentra. I was very impressed by the comfort level and usability of that little car. For people that want something with some pep a little style and functionality, it's hard to go wrong with that car.

That just made me more bitter about the automakers. I want SO badly for GM & Co. to succeed, but c'mon man! Where is our 'Nissan Sentra'?!?! Is it really that hard to design a GREAT class leading product?

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Ya know...

That just made me more bitter about the automakers. I want SO badly for GM & Co. to succeed, but c'mon man! Where is our 'Nissan Sentra'?!?! Is it really that hard to design a GREAT class leading product?

Maybe the Cruze will be GM's world class FWD compact. Their Last Great Hope.

Maybe the Cruze will be GM's world class FWD compact. Their Last Great Hope.

Well DII Astra is not too far behind, it will be a good KO 1-2 punch globally.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0