Hello Malibu

Our 03 Century was approaching the 200K mile mark and we were planning on replacing it during the summer of 09. However, with the deals available right now and it needing a coolant flush we decided to go for it and replace the Buick early.

I picked up brochures on the LaCrosse, Impala and Malibu.

Looking at the Impala next to a Malibu just made the Impala look old and outdated. After driving the Malibu 4cyl/6speed and 6cyl/6speed (both 2LT) we didn't even bother to go look at the LaCrosse.

So our local dealer found a 2LT V6 in Imperial Blue with the Cocoa/Cashmere interior and picked it up for us. We took delivery just before they closed New Years Eve. Standard 2LT with the V6 package, 'premium' mat package and (thankfully) a chromed wheel upgrade.

We've put about 40 miles on it so far, I drove it this morning to breakfast. The car rides great, has plenty of power and really just looks nice.

Here are a couple pictures I snapped after washing it today. It got waxed shortly after.

09malibu3.jpg

09malibu4.jpg

Hopefully we'll get the same trouble free miles from this we got out of the Century. 172K miles when we traded it in and never once left the other half stranded.

Great looking whip. Got any more photos? I just love the new Malibu's! Wishing you many worry free Camry ass whipping miles with it. Since when did the 09 Malibu 2LT V6 come with chrome wheels? Those are the same wheels as on the G6 GT coupe/vert. I love the rims with the dark blue, I just would love to see more photos of that beauty. Can I ask how did the 4cylinder six speed automatic drive? And why did you end up ultimately choosing the V6? Either way I couldn't have picked out a better family sedan myself.

Edited by gm4life

Thanks for all the complements! I'm excited about the car and I'll rarely even drive it! Only a couple other pics and they're from the same angle, these are the best.

I told the dealer if the Malibu came in RWD I'd trade my CTS. In LTZ trim, it's really that nice. Heck, the 2LT has options that my CTS doesn't have and quite a few of the "luxury" ones it does have! Now, I know it's not exactly apples to apples as the new CTS is WAY nicer but still.

The chrome wheels were additional charge, see thread here:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=27433

I still haven't found any references to this wheel anywhere on Chevy's site. I like them though, WAY better than the standard 2LT V6 wheels. My favorite wheels though are still the 2LT 4cyl wheels.

I think the Malibu's look best in darker colors, really sets off the chrome trim, and in this case, wheels. Unfortunately a half mile driveway of gravel will probably drive me insane trying to keep it clean.

I didn't drive the 4cyl with the six speed but rode in it. We live in a fairly hilly area and while the engine certainly performed adequately, you could tell it was working a little harder than the V6 to maintain speed. It was not by any means underpowered but the 6cyl just felt more confident and, well, frankly the 3.6 is a great engine. Funny thing is, the 4cyl with the 6 speed was probably just about as powerful as the 3.1 with a four speed in the Buick. Honestly, in the end, I think it just came down to a small prejudice. My partner had a horribly underpowered 4cyl for his previous car (Tercel, PUKE) and it really turned him off to 4cyl engines. Based on the one ride I had in it, the 4cyl would be fine for most and of course with the six speed, great gas mileage.

Oh, another incentive we got too. Two years of oil changes and tire rotations, an extra year of OnStar and two years of XM. Nice little bonus!

Mike

After driving the Malibu 4cyl/6speed and 6cyl/6speed (both 2LT)

09malibu4.jpg

Hopefully we'll get the same trouble free miles from this we got out of the Century. 172K miles when we traded it in and never once left the other half stranded.

Congratulations. I had the opportunity to rent a base 4 cyl. and liked it a lot. If the 4 cyl. was likable, I imagine the 6 cyl. has even more to recommend it. For the price, the road manners are very good.

That second picture (shown above) is a flattering shot of the car.

Congrats on the new Malibu!! I'm seeing them everywhere in my travels lately, it seems like the Malibu has finally caught on with the buying public (I tried to get the wife to look at the Malibu back in June, but she went for a G6 V6 sedan instead). I love the color and the upgraded chrome rims are nice; however, I do like the previous-models SS rims that come with the V6 Sport Package better. I have seen other Malibus with those chrome rims around, so it has to be some sort of dealer upgrade or recently added package. My only suggestion would be to get the factory bodyside moldings installed - I personally don't like how the cars look without them. Anyway, best of luck with it and many happy motoring miles!!

Again, thanks for the well wishes!

Even after waxing, there is a fair amount of dust on the car so we dropped by the dealership this morning and picked up the 'mud guards' from the parts counter. Pricey little pieces of plastic but hopefully they'll help keep the car cleaner longer and help me retain some sanity with not requiring semi-weekly washings. :mind-blowing:

Our neighbor saw us coming home and stopped by to take a look. He thought we had bought a new BMW from seeing it as we drove by. :D

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

VERY nice. And the blue just sets it off wonderfully. My Impala is nearly that same blue and it too looks wonderful when its clean. I always make the dealer put mud guards on any car I buy. I think it is cheap insurance against stone chips on the rocker panels. My this Malibu provide you with many years of trouble free service. I am seeing lots of them here in Northeast Wisconsin.

• 2 weeks later...