RIP G8 ST

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a good time to be a Ford fan right now, their ship seems closest to righting itself, and the company seems focused as a whole in becoming better, with a leader who doesn't second guess.

I have said it before, Ford's new CEO is a modern Lee Iacocca. He is right sizing the company for actual sales, and is focusing on the core products (Fusion, Milan, Mustang). GM trys to be something for everyone and in doing so makes its self nothing for no one.

I recently read that Ford is going to stop building the Sable. It took them 20 years, but they finally figured you don't need a Taurus and Sable when everyone knows they are the same car and they already have the great Milan sitting next to it for young people and the ancient Grand Marquis in the show room for those old enough to have been passengers on the Titanic.

What does GM do? We have mid-sized Impala, Malibu, G6, Aura, and LaCrosse. Of the 5 only 1 offers a coupe model, only 2 offer hybrid models (which don't sell in part due to their small fuel economy gains). At the same time the Cobalt/G5 are getting their rear ends handed to them in the sales charts by most and their replacement is still too far away.

Things keep going the way they are, I might have to trade in my GM hat for a Ford one?!

The bottom line in all of this is that GM lied to me, and forgiveness isn't going to be forthcoming.

That's a bit dramatic, isn't it? Not really 'lying', it's more like a company announces a product, then cancels said product before production. That's a business reacting to economic conditions and market realities.

That's a bit dramatic, isn't it? Not really 'lying', it's more like a company announces a product, then cancels said product before production. That's a business reacting to economic conditions and market realities.

"Available late 2009" was a lie any way you slice it.

And it is one that is still on pontiac.com

http://www.pontiac.com/showFutureG8SportTruck.do

I know Camino I saw that as well. And I am plenty upset offering the ST couldn't have cost them much tho, which is why I don't get it. I feel very bad for you, you have always been a supportive GM guy and for them to upset you like this I see why your so upset as you should be. Camino I understand it seems easy to give up but you never know what is in store for GM.

Edited by gm4life

Oh, C'mon Camino - it was cool but GM has tons of cars that you'd probably have a lot of fun owning in that price range. Well, not tons, but, well - okay - the new Camaro coming out is going to be cool, and the current G8 is cool. Ah, if you want to pay a huge car payment every month, the CTS and STS are cool. Alright - just the Camaro and current G8.

Look, GM is in deep sh*t right now. This isn't the type of product that's going to draw huge masses of Joe and Jane Public into their showrooms. While I don't think they should completely emulate Toyota - they need to really focus on making sure they can execute on a well thought out family sedan, and compact sedan. It sucks, it sucks, but they have to really go after the non car people they lost over the last 20 years. BPG showrooms need some solid sedans, maybe a good crossover, and maybe a really good sports-car (Solstice??, G8 Sedan)

Actually, I think the upcoming Buick LaCrosse is a good start. But it may be kind of expensive. It's going to be tough to sell if it's too high up in the $30s. So is Buick the American Acura?? What is Buick now? I want a Zeta based Electra - but maybe I'm just nuts.

You see, I think many car buyers have become too used to what I think of as the "two brand" strategy that our friendly Japanese competition has. Well executed cars that are for every day people, yet feel nice and generally well engineered (Toyota, Honda, Nissan), or flashy luxury cars that have all the good attributes of the every day cars, but are just really luxurious (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti) - no in-betweens. Just 2 "brands" - 2 strategies. You either get a good every day car, or a really, really nice luxury car (I'm speaking aloud what Joe Consumer thinks of when he thinks of an import brand car in America - specifically Japanese). All of the products are good and give you good "value" (Honda Civic) or good value, luxury and image (Acura TSX).

GM- through 25 odd years of not knowing whether they were afoot or on horseback, has fu*ked themselves up so bad, that they had no idea how to capitalize on the great brands they already had, to combat this and roll with the changing market punches. They could have led, but instead, became a truck company, totally lost focus on their product and brands, and let Toyota/Honda/Nissan gain on them in a way that I don't think they saw coming - at all. Now, Joe Consumer has no idea what a Pontiac "is" or should be. Non-car guys (and even car guys) in their 30s think Buick either doesn't exist or is for people that are over the age of 70. Uh, that's not really good for GM.

So, bottom line - before I go off on a huge rant about nothing - they probably figured the G8 ST wasn't going to sell that well (and it wouldn't have).

I don't know - I think the ideal lineup for Pontiac would be this:

A Pontiac version of Sigma platform car (Coupe and Sedan) - direct injection V6 and turbo

Solstice

Alpha Pontiac Coupe and Sedan

All would have optional engine packages that pack more than 300 horsepower. They would all be light weight, rear drive and very good on the track and a straight line.

All would be packed with a lot of super high technology features with awesome red interior lighting. They would all be just as insanely modern and feature laden as the best Acuras and BMW's, but would cost less.

From a GM brochure: "We reserve the right however, to make changes at any time with out notice, in prices, colors, materials, equipment, specifications, models, and availability."

See you didn't get tricked, its the bureaucratic, red tap wrapped GM that we all love.

As a side note, your angry that Pontiac is not going to build the G8 ST, imagine how I feel when I drive buy the local Oldsmobile dealership...o wait, they sell Saturns now.

This isn't something that was done because GM was looking to play a mean trick, its hard to build specialty models when your entire company is on it's knees. What we all want is a strong GM because a strong GM can build El Caminos, convertible Buicks, and all of the other ridiculous things we want (well I want those two, I'm sure others do too). For GM to do that they need to get the Impala/LaCrosse/Cobalt/etc customers back into the showrooms with great new products for the average consumer. Once they are making money again, we can get fun cars.

From a GM brochure: "We reserve the right however, to make changes at any time with out notice, in prices, colors, materials, equipment, specifications, models, and availability."

See you didn't get tricked, its the bureaucratic, red tap wrapped GM that we all love.

As a side note, your angry that Pontiac is not going to build the G8 ST, imagine how I feel when I drive buy the local Oldsmobile dealership...o wait, they sell Saturns now.

This isn't something that was done because GM was looking to play a mean trick, its hard to build specialty models when your entire company is on it's knees. What we all want is a strong GM because a strong GM can build El Caminos, convertible Buicks, and all of the other ridiculous things we want (well I want those two, I'm sure others do too). For GM to do that they need to get the Impala/LaCrosse/Cobalt/etc customers back into the showrooms with great new products for the average consumer. Once they are making money again, we can get fun cars.

Right you are.

I don't really disagree with that recipe, but that is beside the point.

The ST was to be available at dealerships within months - when was the last time you heard of a product being cancelled that late in the game?

No, I'm pissed and likely to stay that way for a long while.

I think it was posted earlier, but what would you think of a Chevy version of this same car?

I'm not sure if it would sell any more than the Pontiac would or not. And I have no idea about what goes on inside GM, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was or is being kicked around upper management (at least at one point in time)

I think it was posted earlier, but what would you think of a Chevy version of this same car?

I'm not sure if it would sell any more than the Pontiac would or not. And I have no idea about what goes on inside GM, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was or is being kicked around upper management (at least at one point in time)

I wanted it as an El Camino from the start. Supposedly, the decision to give it to Pontiac was based on three things: Pontiac needed product for their new performance image (haha, like that materialized), Chevy dealers had too many models to stock already (Corporate BS), and because Holden had a very limited capacity to buils them (true).

Reluctantly, I had to agree that it made some sense to give the ST to Pontiac to help it gain some visibility and compliment the G8 sedan. So I began looking forward to it with great anticipation.

Would it sell more as a Chevy?

Yes, most likely, but it would still have been limited due to Holden's production constrants.

BS

I no longer buy that tired old line. We will not be getting "the good stuff" later, because GM can't even sell the boring crap - which shouldn't be at Pontiac at all.

GM for all practical purposes is in bankruptcy. The US market collapsed from 17 m to 13 m vehicles a year and currently running at a 9 m rate.

Hard decisions have to be made including many sacrifices.

The market and manufacturers are teetering on oblivion right now. The situation is dire.

As for GM the Pontiac ST is the least of their worries.

GM for all practical purposes is in bankruptcy. The US market collapsed from 17 m to 13 m vehicles a year and currently running at a 9 m rate.

Hard decisions have to be made including many sacrifices.

The market and manufacturers are teetering on oblivion right now. The situation is dire.

As for GM the Pontiac ST is the least of their worries.

All true.

That's why I believe the cancellation was just political window-dressing.

But the ST was much more than that to me.

All true.

That's why I believe the cancellation was just political window-dressing.

But the ST was much more than that to me.

I understand your dissatisfaction.

However the decision was likely based on pure dollars and cents. The G8 was a bust prior to the financial crisis. Now it really is irrelevant. The ST would be throwing good money after bad.

I understand your dissatisfaction.

However the decision was likely based on pure dollars and cents. The G8 was a bust prior to the financial crisis. Now it really is irrelevant. The ST would be throwing good money after bad.

I disagree given what is already done on the car, the minimal investment involved, the exchange rate w/AU, the fact that the vehicle is already in production (for other markets), the promotion already done,the limited nature of the production goal (5,000 units), and the nearness of the scheduled debut (late this year).

Had this decision been made prior to announcing an availability date, I'd still be disappointed - but not nearly so angry.

This is just part of a political dog and pony show.

I disagree given what is already done on the car, the minimal investment involved, the exchange rate w/AU, the fact that the vehicle is already in production (for other markets), the promotion already done,the limited nature of the production goal (5,000 units), and the nearness of the scheduled debut (late this year).

Had this decision been made prior to announcing an availability date, I'd still be disappointed - but not nearly so angry.

This is just part of a political dog and pony show.

GM is dieing.

I cannot even relay the overall cost cutting the company is undergoing right now. PCS said a while ago voice mail was turned off at the plants. Well, it will be turned off for the rest of the organization soon.

As I was told, the savings is about a half million per year. The company is selling off their car collection to raise money.

The ST is a money drain right now they just cannot afford.

It is worse than I can express. The US congress is irrelevant in this.

Comino Get A Grip You're smarter than this. You as much as anyone should understand how bad things are right now Even companies like Toyota and Honda are maing changes to make sure they survive even thought htye were stable going into this tough time.

GM is a very bad way and was so even before the market turn down. It is time for them to get back and to the basices and concentrait on the core markets and making a profit with those vehicles. Niches are for good times not bad history will point that out.

Be glad the Camaro is as far along as it was so you at least have someting while it last.

Too many want to sit here and debate market share and models when we need to think about maximising profits. GM nees to start making money or soon die. There is nothing at Pontiac right now able to do wha they need in any great volume.

They shot old Yellar not because they wanted to.

It is ok to not be happy but to carry on when you know better is as bad as being a B pillar wack job.

Time to thing with your brain not your heart.

I don't mean to be rude to you but I hate to think I have under estimated you all this time. I know your smarter than this.

Comino Get A Grip You're smarter than this. You as much as anyone should understand how bad things are right now Even companies like Toyota and Honda are maing changes to make sure they survive even thought htye were stable going into this tough time.

GM is a very bad way and was so even before the market turn down. It is time for them to get back and to the basices and concentrait on the core markets and making a profit with those vehicles. Niches are for good times not bad history will point that out.

Be glad the Camaro is as far along as it was so you at least have someting while it last.

Too many want to sit here and debate market share and models when we need to think about maximising profits. GM nees to start making money or soon die. There is nothing at Pontiac right now able to do wha they need in any great volume.

They shot old Yellar not because they wanted to.

It is ok to not be happy but to carry on when you know better is as bad as being a B pillar wack job.

Time to thing with your brain not your heart.

I don't mean to be rude to you but I hate to think I have under estimated you all this time. I know your smarter than this.

Respectfully, I disagree.

I see no benefit to this decision, especially for a Niche, performance brand. If they really wanted to save some money, they should have cancelled the G3.

What we are seeing is the slow, painful death of Pontiac. I'd rather that they just take it out back and put a bullet between its eyes, than reduce it to econo- rebadges before killing it outright.

For me such a move as this (at such a late date), is a clear indication of the abyssmal state of decision-making at GM these days.

Yes, the profit from the ST would have been a drop in the bucket, but was all but guaranteed to be there - unlike many volume products that are sold at a loss.

So, all of the other BS aside, they've lost me with this move. I will not reward them by purchasing something else (Camaro) that they haven't managed to kill yet.

I will not settle for "almost" or "sort of" what I want.

Everyone has a tolerance level - mine has been reached.

Think of it this way Hyper, imagine if they had killed Camaro six months ago. That's how close the ST came to being on the showroom floor.

Sad part is, that I expect to see more of this...not just from GM, but from other car compaines too.

I think people fail to realize that the car is going to change so much in the next five years. It's go green or die. Car people no longer even count in this, as most can barely afford to keep their house.

Kindly put, the next round of cars will not be made for "us", but made for "pussies".

Better stock up those classics now......

(I'm trying for one myself)

*puts on fire suit*

Respectfully, I disagree.

I see no benefit to this decision, especially for a Niche, performance brand. If they really wanted to save some money, they should have cancelled the G3.

What we are seeing is the slow, painful death of Pontiac. I'd rather that they just take it out back and put a bullet between its eyes, than reduce it to econo- rebadges before killing it outright.

For me such a move as this (at such a late date), is a clear indication of the abyssmal state of decision-making at GM these days.

Yes, the profit from the ST would have been a drop in the bucket, but was all but guaranteed to be there - unlike many volume products that are sold at a loss.

So, all of the other BS aside, they've lost me with this move. I will not reward them by purchasing something else (Camaro) that they haven't managed to kill yet.

I will not settle for "almost" or "sort of" what I want.

Everyone has a tolerance level - mine has been reached.

Think of it this way Hyper, imagine if they had killed Camaro six months ago. That's how close the ST came to being on the showroom floor.

Close only counts in horse shoes.

The Camaro has a lot more invested and has a heck of a lot better chance to make money from a wider group of people. GM at least hope to recoupe their large investment. Besides the public relation fall out on that car would be much worse due to the number of fans. Most people did not know or care about the ST. You were one of the few in the big picture.

If your so worried about Pontiac a better G6 should be first on your list if you want to save them. But in the end I don't see Pontiac being with us much longer just do to the great need of money elsewhere in GM.

Think of it this way. You a doctor and you only have so much blood in the blood bank. Do you give it to the guy who has a good chance of making it or do you give it to the guy who lost half his body on a mine. You can't save both and you have to decide. The smart doctor does not like to lose any but he is always going to take the stronger of the two.

And no saving both is not an option!

Many models are going to fall in many companies. Times today are not unlike the earliy 30's were we lost many of the great car companies and models like Cord, Dusenbuerg and Alburn. They went away and new classics and models filled in once times got better. Times change and in this kind of era it is adapt or die and that is what GM is facing.

You may have lost a model but do you really understand how close you are to losing a company?

Be mad but be wise!

Close only counts in horse shoes.

The Camaro has a lot more invested and has a heck of a lot better chance to make money from a wider group of people. GM at least hope to recoupe their large investment. Besides the public relation fall out on that car would be much worse due to the number of fans. Most people did not know or care about the ST. You were one of the few in the big picture.

If your so worried about Pontiac a better G6 should be first on your list if you want to save them. But in the end I don't see Pontiac being with us much longer just do to the great need of money elsewhere in GM.

Think of it this way. You a doctor and you only have so much blood in the blood bank. Do you give it to the guy who has a good chance of making it or do you give it to the guy who lost half his body on a mine. You can't save both and you have to decide. The smart doctor does not like to lose any but he is always going to take the stronger of the two.

And no saving both is not an option!

Many models are going to fall in many companies. Times today are not unlike the earliy 30's were we lost many of the great car companies and models like Cord, Dusenbuerg and Alburn. They went away and new classics and models filled in once times got better. Times change and in this kind of era it is adapt or die and that is what GM is facing.

You may have lost a model but do you really understand how close you are to losing a company?

Be mad but be wise!

The fate of GM did not ride upon this cancellation.

My point about the Camaro was to illustrate just how you might feel if it were that car so summarily executed - after availability had already been announced.

If the ST really needed to be cancelled, I'm quite certain that it would have been obvious quite a while ago.

As for GM's fate, what will be will be. I will no longer expend energy on their behalf, nor will my dollars support them with a purchase this time around.

I am now in "prove it to me" mode.

Such is the cost of this decision.

We should probably just leave it there, as there will be no convincing me now.

My point about the Camaro was to illustrate just how you might feel if it were that car so summarily executed - after availability had already been announced.

If the ST really needed to be cancelled, I'm quite certain that it would have been obvious quite a while ago.

As for GM's fate, what will be will be. I will no longer expend energy on their behalf, nor will my dollars support them with a purchase this time around.

Come on Camino , you know the ST was unlikely to come to North America for a while now as Pontiac is on the highway to death.

Come on Camino , you know the ST was unlikely to come to North America for a while now as Pontiac is on the highway to death.

*sigh*

Look, even if that were true (which it isn't since I took them at their word the ST was coming this year), it would be irrelevent.

I'm done.

All of my life GM has danced around making something I'd buy, and when they did promptly cancelling it.

Every new car I have ever purchased has been GM, but that ends now.

The next one will come from someone else. I will consider GM again in the future when I see something good on the lots, but the next purchase goes elsewhere.

What they've done quite simply has made me doubt any new product before it makes it to the dealers - I no longer take them at their word.

It's not easy to piss me off enough to do this, but they managed to.

I can't imagine anything happening that would change my mind at this point. I know that's tough to believe coming form a diehard fan like me, but that's how things are now.

My point is if it would help save GM to kill cars like the Camaro, I say pull the trigger! No matter how much I like the car. It would not be the first time a car I like was removed and it will not be the last. The good part is they did not spend a whole lot to make this car a Pontiac to the losses will be small.

The ST on its own is not going to turn GM around but the other cars we have yet to hear of will help. The ST was only the first major shot. Or was it the RWD Impala or the GTO or the.......

As in the timing of this. 4-5 months ago did anyone really thing that even Toyota would just now anounce they are cutting production? Alot has happened with even more to come.

I got my Schwabe statment today and witht he market I made some money but we still have not lost all the jobs and recovered all the sales our economy needs. We have yet to hit bottom. Once we do it will take to time to recover and not MFG's will recover. GM right not is doing what they can to survive while they are just trying to pay the light bill.

Once this is over the face of GM is going to be a lot different. Some for the better and future and some not. The truth is the Auto industry as a whole is in for a big shake up.

I feel for ya brother but of late I am looking at the big picture. Even at my work We are not sure what to expect this year. We may be ok or we may not? No one can tell but we have pulled it in on cost and are prepared the best we can be for the worst.

Even the MFG we deal with have cut back and many did not even go to SEMA this year. Some of them will not make it no matter what. I can already see that coming. It is a death watch. Some of the performance names are ones we all have known for years.

Edited by hyperv6

Pontiac is far from dead...

Gm can't even decide WTH it is going to produce from one week to the next, much less the fate of any of it's divisions now.

Yeah, everything seems to be in flux...and I couldn't imagine them getting rid of the G3 or G5, BPG dealers would scream they wouldn't be able to compete w/ Chevy without them..

The Mini is selling well now? Our sales figure archives have some holes, but:

From Nov. 2006

YTD 2006 36,699

YTD 2005 38,384

From Nov. 2007

YTD 2007 38,483

From Nov. 2008 (For the sake of continuity)

YTD 2008 50,511*

*11,311 of those were the Clubman, which came out this year

well it sure sells well now when you consider 10 years ago, no one in this country would spend money on small cars without a lot of space.

the driving qualities of it obviously are a reason, but an equal amount of it is the fashion/bmw component.

BTW,

Current word is that Pontiac is looking at keeping the G8, G6 and Solstice as it's three models. I think that would be an excellent line up.

This would be good if Pontiac get the Alpha platform. If not your going to lose 2 out the three in the near future. Kappa and Zeta are not going to live long enough that they would sustain Pontiac long term. We are yet to know if we are going to get the Alpha for any GM division yet.

Also we need to see some real number form the G6 and none from Avis fleet sales. To do that we need a better G6 with at least the AWD option from the new Buick.

From what I've heard, there is nothing that will prevent Kappa from continuing for quite some time. No regs or safety hurdles that would cause GM to either invest or cancel.

The articles about GM canceling this and that were as much mudslinging as anything. (After all, Pontiac was the weakest division, so that is cause for the media to attack it and push for a phase out. Same thing for Mercury)

From Pontiac Underground

Yes, GM has decided not to proceed with production of the G8 ST.

It's not a reflection on how much we liked the whole concept of the G8 ST. The basic truth of the matter is that the world has changed quite a bit since we first announced the vehicle last March.

Back then, gasoline had only reached about $2.50/gallon on its way to nearly $5 in some parts of the country, the full scope of the economic nightmare the U.S. now finds itself in was still not known and the U.S. automotive industry was humming along at a sales rate of about 16 million units per year.

Today, the industry is barely looking at 11 million units per year, a 31 percent drop in only nine months and (when adjusted for population growth) the lowest level since World War II, plus the overall economic situation is still not stabilized. Given all of that and Pontiac's recommitment as a more focused brand, the decision to drop the G8 ST was simple. Not pleasant, but simple.

And when one door closes, another one opens.

The decision on the G8 ST doesn't in any way affect our plans for the remainder of the G8 family. In fact, we have good news on the G8 GXP front.

The very first GXPs have left the port and are now on their way to dealerships. Plus, we've got hundreds more coming in over the next few weeks so, if you've been patiently waiting for this bad boy, your time is at hand.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

From what I've heard, there is nothing that will prevent Kappa from continuing for quite some time. No regs or safety hurdles that would cause GM to either invest or cancel.

The articles about GM canceling this and that were as much mudslinging as anything. (After all, Pontiac was the weakest division, so that is cause for the media to attack it and push for a phase out. Same thing for Mercury)

Sales can prevent the Kappa from a longer life. The two seater market is a limited market and you do need to upgrade it one in a while. IF you don't change it up as often as Mazda does the Miata sales taper off till it is not worth while.

I am affraid sale with the poor economy will slow Kappa sales and in turn not make it worth keeping when it is timw to upgrade. Pontiac will get a needed boost witht he coupe but how long will that last?

I don't thing GM will kill the Kappa but the lack of sales will in the future.