RIP G8 ST

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well f**k.

Nah it's cool GM, why make something unique in the marketplace when you can be "me too" and sell the same thing everyone else does, who wants something unique. Plus it's not like there's demand for the modern day El Camino by thousands of Camino enthusiasts or anything. :rolleyes:

Oh well. It wasn't to be. If the market picks up eventually, maybe Chevy will do a Ridgeline competitor off the Traverse and call it El Camino.. :)

Just the thought of this makes me ill.

Chris

+1

Imported niche vehicles aren't going to sell with the profit margins GM needs.

Oh really?

How about all the wasted development money?

Or the fact that the Aussie dollar has plummeted against ours?

Or the fact that they only planned to build 5000/year?

Or the fact that all parts of this vehicle are already in production?

No.

This is a political decision, and a stupid one at that.

Yet the Saturn Astra continues to live... :scratchchin:

Touche.

Isn't Astra production going to be moved to N.A.? And the Astra wasn't intended to be a niche product, the market made it one.

Camino, take a step back, look at it from the view of someone who isn't a diehard El Camino lover. At no point did the G8 ST look like a big money maker. The fact that GM did the work on it (albeit not much work) then showed it in public, then canceled it, which was pretty dumb.

Considering all of the work was basically done, why not jsut go ahead and sell it? Even without advertising it'll still sell to El Camino fans if no one else. A sale from a product that was already developed is better than spending the money to bring it to market only to pull the pug and waste that money for nothing.

Considering all of the work was basically done, why not jsut go ahead and sell it? Even without advertising it'll still sell to El Camino fans if no one else. A sale from a product that was already developed is better than spending the money to bring it to market only to pull the pug and waste that money for nothing.

Exactly.

And, if they couldn't manage to sell 5000 of these per year, then they are in the wrong business.

Pathetic!

They didn't have to any money into it. The G8 front clip on the Ute didn't cost them a thing, other than a few bucks in labor. The only money they put into it was the little bit they put into advertisements saying its coming. Oops.

Actually, there is a fleet of these being validated as we speak. And then there was the naming contest, the presence of the car on the Pontiac site (still there today), the cost of tossing Holden's production plans into further chaos, and on, and on....

If they had simply said, no- we won't be building it, that would be one thing. This is yet another glaring example of GM second-guessing itself into oblivion.

My loyalty is dead.

Pontiac announced to its dealers today that the 2010 G8 Sport Truck is cancelled.

“As part of the ongoing vehicle review resulting from the long term viability plan submitted to Congress, Pontiac is being refocused on producing sporty, fun to drive cars. Given this direction and the strong lineup of Pontiac vehicles currently available, we did not feel that the G8 ST fit into the future vision of the Pontiac brand. This decision has no effect on the G8, G8 GT, or the just launched G8 GXP” Jim Hopson of Pontiac told High Performance Pontiac today.

What a complete load of Bull!

Well, I could think of other ways to spend the money that would have been used to buy an ST. :AH-HA_wink:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/976248126.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/956824820.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/956315037.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/968754746.html

And, as an added bonus, they all cost less than a G8 ST would have cost new. :)

This is turning out to be one hell of a day.

First this travesty, and now I have to go to the airport for the second time today as my sister's flight has been cancelled.

F'ing great.

Well Camino, it is a disappointment for sure, but if you ever get the money you could either import a Ute or do a conversion. Plus there is always plenty of used ones. And like I said, Chrysler will be happy o sell you a RWD, V8 coupe...and if you get teh SRT8 you get low volume too.

Well Camino, it is a disappointment for sure, but if you ever get the money you could either import a Ute or do a conversion. Plus there is always plenty of used ones. And like I said, Chrysler will be happy o sell you a RWD, V8 coupe...and if you get teh SRT8 you get low volume too.

How 'bout the same sig with a Challenger SRT-8 instead?

This is sad. I'm very sorry, Camino. This is a boneheaded decision, worse than the Beretta convertible fiasco. GM could've changed the rules for the small pickup truck game for very little cost to them, but they chose to cower out.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090106/FREE/901069981

"With Pontiac being more focused on sporty fun to drive cars, we took a long look at the ST and it didn't fit with what our future vision of Pontiac would be," Hopson says. "At that point, we decided to not proceed with this vehicle."

Complain all you like, but a lot of people will think this is good news for Pontiac.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090106/FREE/901069981

"With Pontiac being more focused on sporty fun to drive cars, we took a long look at the ST and it didn't fit with what our future vision of Pontiac would be," Hopson says. "At that point, we decided to not proceed with this vehicle."

Complain all you like, but a lot of people will think this is good news for Pontiac.

Sporty, fun to drive vehicles like the G3???

I'm torn.

One, I have condolences for the people who wanted one, especially everyone's favorite admin here.

On the other hand, I never really thought it should have been in the cards in the first place. Not as a Pontiac, at the very least.

Touche.

Isn't Astra production going to be moved to N.A.? And the Astra wasn't intended to be a niche product, the market made it one.

ORLY?!?!

Seems that 40K a year in this segment is niche any way you cut it. (That's ll they intended to sell in the first place)

Camino, take a step back, look at it from the view of someone who isn't a diehard El Camino lover. At no point did the G8 ST look like a big money maker. The fact that GM did the work on it (albeit not much work) then showed it in public, then canceled it, which was pretty dumb.

My heart goes out to you Camino. Seriously man, you're one of the most diehard GM people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I don't understand why GM would cancel the ST unless G8 sales and the imminent death of Zeta has made them reconsider. (G8 sales shouldn't even factor given how bad the market is in general)

Development was absolutely nothing. All of the parts have already been developed and all of the engineering done.

The only thing I can think is that GM thinks the market tanking in 2009 will SERIOUSLY affect the business case. Because, lets face it, as much as we want to believe otherwise and as much potential as something like the ST has when done right. As is, most of the sales would be to enthusiasts and people who need a secondary vehicle. And in a year of 10 million vehicle sales, it might not do so well.

I do however hope that GM reconsiders the Sportwagon now.