Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Satty

Oh autostore parts guy

59 posts in this topic

As I mentioned in another thread, the blower motor on my car went out last week. So I popped the hood, hoping the it was under there and not in some asinine place under the dash. Lo and behold, it was right there against the firewall on the passenger side, right where it should be. I left it in place (that was my first mistake) and went on my merry way to an auto part store. I go in and tell the guy what I need, he asks for the make and model, I tell him its an '89 LeSabre Estate, he types away furiously, goes to the back and comes back with a box. I look at it, and since it looks like a blower motor, I go on my way(second mistake). Its not until I get in the car and get a couple blocks away that I check the receipt, which states that its a motor for a 1989 LeSabre FWD V6. Since I have to stop and get diapers, I pop the hood in the parking lot to make sure all the connecty-bits are the same. They're not. The one in my car has two separate plugs, the one in the box had a single plug. So I go to the nearest auto parts store (same chain, different location, not Autozone which was a bad idea) and tell the guy at the counter that I got the wrong one. So he hops on his computer, I tell him its an '89 LeSabre Estate wagon with a V8, he comes back with a different blower motor and asks if it looks right. It does not. So he gets the big book of auto parts, goes to the Buick section and starts looking at LeSabre, I then point him to the Estate section, which leads him to a different part number. A part number they dont have in stock. So he orders it (should be at the store in about half an hour) then says, "Huh, I guess it being a wagon makes a difference."

Kids today wouldn't know a real car if it rearended them at 12 mph in a Wendy's parking lot. I saw a comment at one of the other car sites, and I paraphrase: "Pontiac should have gotten the G8 wagon, because they had a wagon before. I think it was called the 6000."

And I have to give a huge "Go f@#k yourself" to General Motors for putting the back screw on the blower motor under the windshield and putting the two outside screws right next to the hood hinge. Really helpful guys. Also helpful, but not particularly related to this task, using Metric for some things, but standard for other things. That makes it so easy, I love having to keep 9,000 sockets nearby.

Yes, pick a unit f measure and use that throughout the entire vehicle.

Yep, it even makes changing your oil fun....

I was going to get a junkyard blower, but the junkyard is a ways away, and I figured that with my luck the motor would die after a week. So I went the new route for an extra $5.

had some codes checked at autozone, got one for the cam position sensor. I was soooo tempted to let the guy look one up for me. (Hint: there isn't one.)

Yes, when I was a saturn parts guy there were several times when it was very difficult to ensure a cust. that there was no cam sensor to swap out on their 1.9 and why their wires and/or their nasty looking coil towers would be the real fault.

And I have to give a huge "Go f@#k yourself" to General Motors for putting the back screw on the blower motor under the windshield and putting the two outside screws right next to the hood hinge. Really helpful guys. Also helpful, but not particularly related to this task, using Metric for some things, but standard for other things. That makes it so easy, I love having to keep 9,000 sockets nearby.

It's all about the union guys that put it together on the line baby, no thought whatsoever goes into the poor guy who has to fix it later. Sorry. LOL As far as the parts store, any aftermarket store you go into has nothing but no nothing 12 yr olds making $8 an hour at the counter. Of course I'm biased because I work at the dealer and I'm the parts bitch, but it really is frustrating even for me, when I call the wholesale line at O'Reillys and one of the kids answer, I just hang up and call back, or ask for one the guys over 25 who knows something. LOL

had some codes checked at autozone, got one for the cam position sensor. I was soooo tempted to let the guy look one up for me. (Hint: there isn't one.)

If I could, I would go to every Autozone store and take that scanner and shove it up all their asses. I'm so sick of people who come in with one of their printoffs with a freaking EGR code for the love of god, and the people never believe me, they think I'm just trying to get in their pocket. Only Ford has EGR pressure sensors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a solution for your problem with Metric, Satty. Move to Canada, where metric IS standard :smilewide:

It's all about the union guys that put it together on the line baby, no thought whatsoever goes into the poor guy who has to fix it later. Sorry. LOL As far as the parts store, any aftermarket store you go into has nothing but no nothing 12 yr olds making $8 an hour at the counter. Of course I'm biased because I work at the dealer and I'm the parts bitch, but it really is frustrating even for me, when I call the wholesale line at O'Reillys and one of the kids answer, I just hang up and call back, or ask for one the guys over 25 who knows something. LOL

HAHAHA....I was dealing with O'Reillys, both guys were young dumbasses. I wonder if I had gone to the dealership with my 20 year old wagon,if it would have been similar, only one guy there who was actually at the dealership, or out of high school, when B-Bodies were on the lot.

Autozone is typically much better, just not as conveniently located.

had to get a replacement fan belt for my 1990 ss 454 one time. he was asking me all these questions partaining to the vehicle. asks me 4x2 or 4x4? um 2 wheel drive. 4x2 (with a smirk) then asks is that a v6 or a v8? i looked at him in disbelief... thats a big block v8 was all i could say.

See I guess I'm lucky, the people at the places I go to either know what they are talking about or look it up properly.

If I could, I would go to every Autozone store and take that scanner and shove it up all their asses. I'm so sick of people who come in with one of their printoffs with a freaking EGR code for the love of god, and the people never believe me, they think I'm just trying to get in their pocket. Only Ford has EGR pressure sensors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

We have that issue around here...I was at the dealership picking up something for the Cavalier, and a guy came in with that sheet...after the guy left, the parts guys told how often that happens.....

I like AutoZone and C.A.P.

I just about killed someone at Autozone.... :banghead:

Thank God I know something...

It depends on what I am doing..sometimes it's the dealership, the local family owned part store, or Advance Auto...once in a while Murray's auto parts....

NAPA is my 1st pick, they're the Cadillac of parts

stores, I use AutoZone a good portion of the

time because they have a god selection of things

like serpentine bets, steel lines/fittings/adapters,

oddball hardware & they're the most receptive to

desperate classic car owners who need to get

behind the counter and compare an old greasy

part to a bunch of new ones sitting in boxes on a

shelf, even if your fingers are soaked in ATF and

you're wearing a pinstriped dealership shirt

embroidered with a "Chevrolet of Xxxxxxxxx" logo,

stained w/ Lucas Products P.S. (molasses) Fluid,

Post-Bled Brake Fluid, 7,500 mile old 10W40 and

a few old & new blood stains.

One time I showed up in July/August or some other

hot month wearing NO shirt, yes I got service.

Of course it helps having two out of your closest 4

friends work behind the counter as Gray-Shirts. :D

Advanced I'll go to from time to time, they've bailed

out my A$ before in a pinch when some crazy GM,

or Datsun or Mercedes part was out of stock at both

NAPA & A-Zone.

Then there's C.A.P. (Consumer Auto Parts) a local

chain that' really hit-or-miss but has some serious

benefits...like a few parts that I wanted like

YESTERDAY for my '68 Camaro but most places told

me had to be special ordered from a restoration

catalog or what not, they had on a shelf.

V.I.P. Auto parts never seems to have $h!, although

there's always at least one hot chick at the counter

so it's sometimes worth the wasted trip.

(shut up XP it's NOT who you're thinking) :P

Pep Boys I've been to like three times in my

entire life, I got some cheap front rotors for my

mother's Grand Am there.

But these days with most of the stuff I drive,

aside from the Suburban & RoadmOnster which

both pack an SCB350, I'm often left to making

phone calls to "Foreign Auto Parts" & local

Mom-n-Pop garages/stores/junkyards relating

to my B-59 or other such oddball.

Yes, pick a unit f measure and use that throughout the entire vehicle.

I've owned a few GM vehicles that are 100% standard:

- 1959 Buick LeSabre Bubbletop Post, Naihead 364

- 1961 Buick Special Sedan, Fireball 198 (V6)

- 1964 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday, 364 Rocket

- 1968 Chevrolet Camaro, (left the factory with a 327)

I think that's about it, actually... the other 46 of 'em

were, at least to a degree, semi-metric.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Well there is this one guy who works at a NAPA in Lowell (or he did) that seemed to know his stuff. :P

XP is the MAN, he hooks me up with discounts all the time! 8)

There is a guy at Autozone who really knows his stuff, the only thing about the LeSabre that has stumped him was the dome light bulb, everything else he's been right on. He seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to RWD, BOF, V8 dinosaurs. Then again, he's better since he drives a Marauder.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room