It's Here: The 2010 Chevy Camaro configurator

camaro_configurator.jpg

Chevrolet's new Camaro is the last of the neo-ponycars to hit showrooms, and now it's finally possible for you to put your money where your mouth is after all those breathless "I'd buy one..." comments. Dreamers and real buyers alike can head to the new Camaro Configurator website and trick one out just right. The price of entry for a base-trim LS model is a mere $22,995, and it still looks fantastic – there's something about those black steelies with trim rings. A V6 that belts out more power than some of the storied V8s of yore while netting 29 highway miles per gallon is a persuasive argument for going base, though we couldn't help ourselves and wound up with a Cyber Gray 2SS costing $36,390 that would provide great amusement should it ever wind up in the Autoblog Garage. You can head on over and build your own dream Camaro, too, even if you're not actually going to buy.

Autoblog

I don't like the way they package the options. I can get the Inferno Orange Accent Trim Package on the 2LT but not the more expensive 1SS, I have to spend even more and get the 2SS.

Then I can get it with one shade of red (Victory Red), but not the shade of red I want, Red Jewel Tintcoat.

I also don't like how you can only get preset rotation angles and not a real 360. You can't look from above the car either. I don't see an option in the builder to see what the interior looks like either.

I don't like the way they package the options. I can get the Inferno Orange Accent Trim Package on the 2LT but not the more expensive 1SS, I have to spend even more and get the 2SS.

That's because the Inferno Orange Accent Trim is only an option with leather interiors, and leather interiors only come in the 2LT or 2SS.

What bugs me is... it doesn't show some options like the Hurst short throw shifter.

I can get past the color even though I really like it and adjust go with black. However I much prefer the SS' front fascia to the LT/LS'. In order to get the options I want it comes out to $39,085. :(

If I option a 2LT the way I want it comes out to $30,565...but then I don't get the exterior look I want.

I can get past the color even though I really like it and adjust go with black. However I much prefer the SS' front fascia to the LT/LS'. In order to get the options I want it comes out to $39,085. :(

If I option a 2LT the way I want it comes out to $30,565...but then I don't get the exterior look I want.

Funny... while I like the look of the front end of the SS over the LT, I can't get past the non-functional aspect of the scoop. I wish I could get the SS without the scoop thing...

Then I can get it with one shade of red (Victory Red), but not the shade of red I want, Red Jewel Tintcoat.

I also don't like how you can only get preset rotation angles and not a real 360. You can't look from above the car either. I don't see an option in the builder to see what the interior looks like either.

GM could make a fully working model of Christ and you'd still complain that the water to wine function only dispenses merlot.

Yeah I love the appearance package, and I think it once again looks better on the SS...so what the hell, I'd just go for it. It really enhances the low slung, mean appearance...and I think it looks better on black than the red. So I guess it's win/win. :P

It probably is gray plastic or fiberglass.

Everyone, post a screenshot of your Camaro. I can crop them if you don't know how. I want to see what everyone's looks like. :D

There are two stripe packages listed. One is the up-and-over stripes, the other is the bonnet stripe package, which includes the fender/door stripe in addition to the up-and-over.

My 1LT/RS came to $27,000 even.

I have no idea how to do a screen capture.

On that webpage press the print screen/prnt scrn button, then open up windows paint and hit ctrl+v @ the same time. Then save the image, upload to your online image account, i.e; photobucket, image bay, etc. Then post it here.

2010_Camaro_SS_RS_Victory_Red.jpg

Here is my no frills SS. Aqua Blue or White even Silver is possible color choice for me as well. As for the RS package I change my mind each day, I threw it in anyways. The polished wheels are same way, depends on the color some too. I won't do SS stripes, not because I don't like them, but have seen chip and peel. That would keep me away from them (the wear and tear) and for an extra 20 bucks I can have polished wheels, plus I don't need them. They'd just give me even more attention in c V8 powered muscle car, like I'd need anymore of that.

Edited by gm4life

That's been the plan from the start.

Yup its not marketed as a Muscle Car like it should be but rather a sports coupe with the V6 RS. I am a little disappointed they didn't market is as a Muscle Car to the red-meat crowd, like me. I have a feeling there will be some of that. I do have a question what's a Camaro without a V8? :smilewide: If my son or I get one it will be an SS.

Are there still plans to sell this in the EU?

How would you rate the quality, integrity and appeal of Camaro based upon what you know?

Can it go head-to-head right out of the gate in it's price category (and even a couple brackets upward) with the best?

GM has the perfect opportunity to re-invent the affordable sports car here.

Has it succeeded?

dang @ how much they're charging for wheels. $5k for upgraded wheels on the V6? I don't think so - I'd just buy one with the base wheels, buy some aftermarket wheels that look better anyway, and still have the stockers for winter wheels. Of course, I wouldn't buy a V6 Camaro, so the whole thing is moot.

1st

1SS, black, silver rally stripes, beige interior, RS package, ground effects, bose system, midnight silver wheels.

$35,425

cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

cam3.jpg

2nd (more realistically)

1SS aqua blue, silver rally stripes, RS beige interior, bose system, midnight silver wheels.

$33,160

cam4.jpg

cam5.jpg

cam6.jpg

something else i just thought of. an LS camaro with the ground effects. black pain, black steelies and a silver stripe. $25,730. take another $5-7K and put some boost to that bad boy and sleeper here we come.
Edited by cletus8269

I really kinda like the base LS wheels, that old rally steel look.

Here's mine, nicely optioned 2LT.

mycamaro.jpg

I love those optional wheels too! But that's a chunk of change!

EDIT: Though if this were a 'weekend car' it'd be the V8, no doubt.....

Edited by DBeaSSt

Built myself another one:

MyCamaro2-2.jpg

The more I look at it the more I think this is the one for me. I really like the orange and the way the black contrasts with it. I'm almost tempted to go with the black wheels, but black wheels just aren't my thing. I've also gotten over the SS front end, as the V6 model looks closer to the concept (I still like the SS front end though). I might pony up and get the *gasp* automatic for the extra fuel economy. This would be the everyday car I could drive even when gas prices go up again. The automatic would make for a comfortable commute, and plus GM's automatic (if it's geared like the CTS) and the paddle shifters is even better than the manual. So if I add the automatic it'd be $33,745. I would have to drive both to determine which transmission I'd ultimately want.

MyCamaro3.jpg

The Challenger R/T would have a manual.