I hate goodbyes...

We had to put our oldest cat, Rose to sleep last night.

She's not been well for some time, but it got a lot worse yesterday morning. We decided that it was best to euthanize her to end her pain and suffering.

We made an appointment for Monday morning.

However when I was getting ready to go to bed last night at 2 or so, I noticed she was in her pet hut with her eyes open with a dead stare, not moving at all. It was painful to watch. We had to find an emergency center that was actually open. We took her their at 3am and they put her to sleep. I don't thinks he would have made it through the night.

It sucks, our pets are family to us.

At least she's not suffering anymore. :(

So sorry to hear that DF. I lost two dogs last year. Nobody can say anything to make ya feel better, just hope you take comfort in knowin that others know the same pain of losing a pet.

God speed.

Edited by K.C.

Aw, sorry about your kittycat, Dodgefan. I adopted my neighbor's cat when they moved away. I call her Mamagirl. I am not sure I will get as attached to her as I was to my Jack Russell terrier, Meggie, who I had for 15 years, but she's a good cat so far.

Been there, and understand... I'm very sorry to hear that. Over the last year, my blended family of dogs (my 2 + my sister's 3 that I care for when she's working out of town) have become a very important part of my life...I love coming home from work and having terriers jump in my lap and slurp my face, fall asleep on the couch beside me, etc. Except for the puppy and one other, all are 10-11 years old and two are rescue dogs, so who knows how old they will live to be..one of my sister's Westies has had two ACL surgeries in the last 3 years.

My Mom had to put down one of her German Shepherds last month, she was 15 with spreading cancer.

Sorry DF. I know exactly how you feel. I just put my dog down a couple of weeks ago. I know it sucks not having her around anymore, but take heart in the fact that you gave her a good home while she was with you.

Sorry to hear that, man...

I always take the loss of pets a lot harder than the loss of people. (unless it's an immediate family member) I feel that people can control their own destiny and know that something bigger awaits. Not to mention, pets are so loyal.

You gave her a loving home and a great life, I believe she's in a better place now.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Pets and vehicles, are like family to me. When my 16 year old Cocker Spaniel died, I swore there would never be a dog that would fill that void. Then 3 years later I found Cry Baby, our Beagle on the internet down in Lower Slower Delaware, she is now part of our family. She is not the same as our Cocker, but in many ways she is, and that's a plus for us.

Here is the pic I saw on the internet, which an hour later put me on the road to get her. She is a great dog, bad as Hell, but great fun ...

crybabyl.jpg

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Thanks guys.

PCS, I know how you feel. No pet can ever take the place of a lost one, however you form a new and unique bond with the new one.

I do miss her, especially since I expect her to be sleeping in the pet hut but neither are there anymore (we left it at the vets).

I grew up with German Shepherds...mine that I got as a puppy at age 6 lived to 15, I was away in college when she passed...that hit me hard..the same with the other two Shepherds my folks got when I was in 10 and 15, respectively.

I'm now a confirmed terrier fanatic, with my Aussie and my Yorkie..

Nauti, aka 'Bitey':

p-vi.jpg

Ginger:

robandsqueakJPG-vi.jpg

We have cats as well (as you know) and I understand.

Sorry for your loss.

P.S. Thanks for being a responsible pet owner.

The right decision is often times the hard one

to make. Life is a roller coaster.

Same "dead stare" happened with my last cat back in February. I was visiting my parents on a Sunday night, laying on the couch with her while watching TV. Suddenly, she glazingly looked at the top of my head and would not respond for several minutes (she had not been holding her food very well for some time, and had lost weight...I thought she was going to die on me). We decided to hold off for a few days to see how she would do. I went home the next day, and they said she seemed ok. Sadly, she passed that Wednesday evening out in her cubby. She was almost 14 years old as an outdoor cat in the country, so she outlived her expectancy by quite a bit...same with our other cat that went before her.

I still go out to see her when I come home out of habit. That's always a downer...

We had to put down our cat of 16 years this month 2 yrs ago. It was tough, esp since I always end up having to take charge of the process. He's out behind the shop in a Pennzoil coffin.

But I'm no longer a big pet fan. I don't care for the fact that they too often have control over one's life, and I don't care for the 'less pleasant' side of pet ownership (ie; the mess).

I like animals fine... as long as they are someone else's responsibility and don't live in my house.

I've got stuff to do.

sorry for your loss DF. I had a dog when I was 11 but it got run-over right in frot of my eyes, and since then I haven't been able to stomach ever owning a pet again. The pain that's involved with losing a pet is too much for me to handle personally, like a close family member as you said.

If anyone's ever watched Marley and Me, with Jenn Aniston and Owen Wilson would understand.

• 2 weeks later...
Pets and vehicles, are like family to me.

Same here.

Sorry for your loss, DF....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09r

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I ain't up to being strong now" ... Wynonna ... 'Is It Over Yet'

I'm sorry for your loss DodgeFan.

When I was younger, I told my Mom that I will find a wife when we have to put my dog to sleep. When I was 19 we put our family dog to sleep, and less than a week later I started dating my wife I didn't expect to be so young when I found her but . . .