General Motors reportedly approves Cadillac Converj for production

cadillacconverjdd_09-580op.jpg

At the Detroit Auto Show in January, General Motors surprised the crowd with a concept coupe called the Cadillac Converj. Built on the same Voltec platform as the Chevrolet Volt, the Converj was seen as a way for GM to leverage the pricey ER-EV drivetrain in a vehicle that could sell at a premium price, recovering some of the development costs. According to Motor Trend, the Converj has been given the green light for production in 2011, a year after the Volt launches. When we talked to GM's Bob Kruse at the Detroit show, he indicated a production Converj would likely use the same powertrain as the Volt, although it could have different calibrations to allow somewhat higher performance than the Chevrolet.

If the Converj does move forward, the proportions might have to change in order to use the same under-structure as the Volt. However, the larger stumbling block to building the Converj is money – or a lack thereof. Unless some kind of deal is struck between the Treasury and Energy Departments to allows GM to tap into ATVM loans, there won't be enough cash in GM's coffers to build the Converj.

Autoblog

I think they should make Caddy's version a car series (sedan, coupe, and possibly wagon). Hopefully shrinking the wheelbase 3 inches doesn't negatively affect the nice proportions of the concept car as it is translated into production form.

I hope they're able to build this. Not only would it be a good way to pay for the platform but I think it would be a nice "FU" to Toyotas Jolly Green Giant image. I know it would sell on the Westside..

From the Edmunds article above:

Another GM insider tells Inside Line that the Converj's fate may lie in the hands of the presidential automotive task force. The task force has not yet cleared the Converj for production. Product investments of more than $100 million must be cleared by the task force, which is overseeing the restructuring of General Motors.

Not particularly encouraging.... :(

The auto task force would be STUPID if they did not Approve this. Anyone with a business sense and commen sense can tell this would sell well and help revive the fortunes of this company.

The Autoblog story doesn't mention it, but the Motor Trend article, mentioned on C&G's front page, does: it looks like after the Chevrolet Volt and the Cadillac Converj, Buick will get a "Voltec" crossover.

According to Motor Trend, "Our source says GM will follow up the Cadillac with a people-mover/crossover utility vehicle based on the Voltec architecture . . . As for the Voltec people-mover/CUV, our source believes a Buick badge is most likely . . . The Voltec CUV could have two or three rows of seats - the compact Delta platform is related to the midsize Epsilon II platform, so this model could be larger than the Chevy and Cadillac, with more battery mass to handle the extra weight."

Which would you prefer: that they name it Buick "Electra" or Buick "Voltec"?

What does the "proportions might have to change in order to use the same under-structure as the Volt" bit mean exactly? Volt/Ampera with a Cadillac grille? If that's the case, then no thanks.

Edited by ZL-1

The Autoblog story doesn't mention it, but the Motor Trend article, mentioned on C&G's front page, does: it looks like after the Chevrolet Volt and the Cadillac Converj, Buick will get a "Voltec" crossover.

According to Motor Trend, "Our source says GM will follow up the Cadillac with a people-mover/crossover utility vehicle based on the Voltec architecture . . . As for the Voltec people-mover/CUV, our source believes a Buick badge is most likely . . . The Voltec CUV could have two or three rows of seats - the compact Delta platform is related to the midsize Epsilon II platform, so this model could be larger than the Chevy and Cadillac, with more battery mass to handle the extra weight."

Which would you prefer: that they name it Buick "Electra" or Buick "Voltec"?

Electra of course

What does the "proportions might have to change in order to use the same under-structure as the Volt" bit mean exactly? Volt/Ampera with a Cadillac grille? If that's the case, then no thanks.

I think they were talking about the wheelbase. The Converj Concept had a 108" wheelbase while the production Volt shares the Cruze's 105.7 inch wheelbase. If the production version of the Converj is built on the exact same platform as the Volt, then it will probably have to be shortened a bit. The Converj Concept is 182 inches long, while the Volt is 177 inches long. I really don't think a few inches will make all that much of a difference in its overall look though, but I could be wrong. I really don't believe that GM would be stupid enough to simply slap a Cadillac grille on a Volt and call it a day (at least I hope they aren't that foolish; people will definitely be screeching about the return of the "Cimarron" if GM does this).

Make the Cadillac version a high-style, as close as possible to the Converj Concept Vehicle. The car for the masses can be a Sedan--leave the Caddy a high-style, luxurious, high-priced Coupe! It is gorgeous, and GM needs the profits this model can generate!!! :smilies-38096:

The auto task force would be STUPID if they did not Approve this. Anyone with a business sense and commen sense can tell this would sell well and help revive the fortunes of this company.

Are they waiting for the auto task force's approval or are they waiting to see if they can get more of the green retooling money?

Given that they have already dipped into the bucket for the Volt, I don't think more money should be given for this.

I don't think it makes sense to invest more government money in a niche-niche-niche market car like the Converj that is little more than a re-skinned Volt that will often offer only marginally better (to worse) fuel consumption than other mass-market, much less expensive cars that don't rely on incentives.

It might be a good idea for GM (although I can't see this selling well at the twice-volt price that Lutz gave), but it is bad bang-for-the-buck in terms of retooling money.

I think they were talking about the wheelbase. The Converj Concept had a 108" wheelbase while the production Volt shares the Cruze's 105.7 inch wheelbase. If the production version of the Converj is built on the exact same platform as the Volt, then it will probably have to be shortened a bit. The Converj Concept is 182 inches long, while the Volt is 177 inches long. I really don't think a few inches will make all that much of a difference in its overall look though, but I could be wrong. I really don't believe that GM would be stupid enough to simply slap a Cadillac grille on a Volt and call it a day (at least I hope they aren't that foolish; people will definitely be screeching about the return of the "Cimarron" if GM does this).

I hope they don't, but the fact is that GM has no money and if the 'desperate times call for desperate measures' idea sinks in... well... I just hope it doesn't, and that if the Converj is indeed approved (GM has said it's studying the business case for it) it will help decrease the payback period on the huge investment GM is making on parallel hybrids.

I personally think they should move forward with this model but also put this into the SRX. This way you have the New SRX with the current power trains and then the Hybrid version. This would then kick ass and bring in money for GM at the same time of putting Cadillac back up towards the World Standard so many of us want it to have again in Leading the Luxury segment rather than following it.

I personally think they should move forward with this model but also put this into the SRX. This way you have the New SRX with the current power trains and then the Hybrid version. This would then kick ass and bring in money for GM at the same time of putting Cadillac back up towards the World Standard so many of us want it to have again in Leading the Luxury segment rather than following it.

The drivetrain in the VUE 2-mode Hybrid, which has been cancelled, will probably end up in the SRX. They're both made in the same plant.

The 2-mode VUE came very close to production - GM held media test-drives last October and even got EPA certification - 28/31 mpg, which is better than RX400h.

No word on the 2-Mode Plug-In hybrid...

The drivetrain in the VUE 2-mode Hybrid, which has been cancelled, will probably end up in the SRX. They're both made in the same plant.

The 2-mode VUE came very close to production - GM held media test-drives last October and even got EPA certification - 28/31 mpg, which is better than RX400h.

No word on the 2-Mode Plug-In hybrid...

the new SRX with that MPG would be a winner even if it does not perform better than the base model like the Lexus does.

Edited by eldiablobanshee

Cadillac isn't my thing - at all. And I don't like the A&S style.

But this car is drop-dead gorgeous, and as a e-flex vehicle I'd call production a no-brainer.

Get this to market and it will be huge.

And I think it would help the Volt as well.

Converj and Volt are a textbook example of how to share a platform. Add in a Buick MPV, and the conventional Cruze, and Delta looks like a big winner for GM.

Time to just do it.

Building this car as a Caddy is a must. This car will be the key to making the Volt program pay off in the shorter run. The people with the money to make a statment with the car are more likely to y a Cadillac vs a Chevy. Think of it as the Escallade for the green people.

GM would get press form the Hollywood freaks like the Prius does now.

The trend setters with money will be all over this.

Also it has to be a sedan. to really make a real mark on the market. The market today is just sedan drivien. Lutz has already pointed that out.