OH MY GOD

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all.... but I also don't eat a triple bacon whopper with cheese, a bucket of fries, and wash it down with a gallon of cola just because I can.

We as a society have lost the ideas of moderation, self control, and self responsibility.

"It's not my fault I'm obese, it's those McDonald's cheeseburgers that are so so good!"

"It's not my fault I'm obese, McDonald's fries their fries in fat."

"It's not my fault I'm obese, McDonald's increased the size of the medium fries and it's only 35 cents more for the large... it's such a good deal!"

"It's not my fault I'm obese, the only time AmericanIdolWantstobeaMillionairebystudyingLawandOrdertobeaSurvivoronCSI:Miami is on are the 7 hours after I get home from work so I really don't have time to exercise."

Notice nowadays that everything comes with fries? And if you order just "a sandwich", they insist that you must have fries with it (like you already stated Oldsmoboi, it's "just #0.xx cents more!?!?"). And soda is way too available today; a ton of my students I teach in the morning hours travel the hallways with 20 oz. to 2 liter bottles of soda to get them through the day. Add into it the dfrin sizes available from convenience stores, fast food restaurants, and movie theaters and you'll see why our society is large. Growing up I wasn't allowed to have soda in the morning hours - lunch was the earliest - and it wasn't always kept int he house. However, come my teenage years (late '80s/early '90s), soda was the #1 choice for a drink and could be found everywhere. It is still to this day my favorite beverage to drink, and if I could cut it out and adjust my other "bad food choices", I probably could improve my weight issues (FYI: I'm approximately 240 lbs, 5'9' tall). So I'm am not a skinny person - as a few of the C&Gers I've personally met know - but I'm at the point I now watch exactly what I am consuming and want to make amends with the types of foods I eat that I know aren't the healthiest choices. Exercising wouldn't hurt either, but that's another issue to work on.

And just to keep the comedy rolling, here's one of the funniest pictures I've seen regarding obesity:

beating-anorexia.jpg

I just disagree with this because I just don't judge people about stuff like that because I know there are people who have food addictions that they suffer with. I also know that many of these ready made foods come with fillers that make people fatter. I am very tall, work out for two hours a day, 1 hr cardio, 1 hr weight training, and when I see someone who is obese or overweight I feel sorry for them. In my belief, it's not my place to judge someone because I don't know their whole story. Hell, many people are not educated regarding nutrition so they just flat don't know what to eat that will make them feel good, and many do not know how to lose weight, or have the money to have somone teach them. It's really sad. It's really none of my business what people do with their health. I just try to see them as people first and all this other crap is not an issue if they are a good hearted person. The same goes for smokers, ugly people, or any other habit that is not pleasing to the eye. Thankfully this is America and you have a right to your opinion and feelings. But the fat people have a right to over eat and under exercise, just like smokers have the right to smoke, and ugly people have the right to exist.

The reason I find this thread disappointing to me is that it is another reminder to me of the disrespect and continued shallow judgemental nature of people that just seems to be worse and worse.

Food is not "addictive." There is no physically addicting property to it. "Psychological addiction" is just a responsibility-evading term for "poor self-control." Of course those pre-packaged foods contain preservatives and fillers (read: fat and empty carbs) that make them more shelf-stable and less nutritious. This is no revelation in that--that's been well-publicized and known for the past 15-20 years. Nutritional labels are required on every ready-made package of food--there's no excuse for ignorance.

You want to bring up genetic predispositions, and not wanting to judge people for their obesity, fine; but I will bring up some facts:

3% of the population suffers from hypothyroidism. 1% of the population suffers from hyperthyroidism, and of that 1%, 15% can experience weight gain. So 3.15% of the population can reasonably be excused by thyroid problems. Genetic causes, however, do not even come close to explaining the obesity epidemic. You can read why here.

I certainly do not contest that the obese have the right to be lazy gluttons (to paraphrase your post), but I most certainly have the right to think poorly of gluttony and sloth. You reserve the right to choose to be lazy and gluttonous, fine; but I reserve the right to judge you for it, especially when my tax dollars and insurance premiums subsidize your health problems.

You can certainly be a kind, good-hearted person and be obese, but you can't argue against physical appearance (especially the controllable aspects of it) having an influence on people's perceptions of you. There are many studies out there (do a quick google search if you'd like) linking attitudes and values to physical appearance. Very fit people tend to be very efficient, goal-oriented, and attentive to their work. Obviously not EVERYONE fits this, but many people do. People who are fit tend to be more health-conscious and careful in other aspects of their lives. Fit people tend to have better self-control. So yes, I will (and so will most people whether or not they have the balls to admit it) judge people based on physical appearance. There is firm science backing up many of the judgments, and this is the reality we live in.

Again, some people (3.15% of the population) have conditions making them much more prone to obesity through no fault of their own, but when I see a morbidly obese person chowing down on a Big Gulp Slurpee, a large plate of nachos, and a giant pretzel on the side, I feel fairly confident in ruling out any thyroid conditions.

Yup. I'm disappointed in some of the people in this thread, especially since some of them make themselves out to be the champions respect for others and so on.

Based on some PM's you have sent me, I assume you are referencing me obliquely. Go ahead, be judgmental and disappointed in me for expressing myself honestly and openly here. But just know that if I ever met you randomly on the street, and you happened to be morbidly obese, you would have no idea that I have strong feelings on this subject because I would treat you with the utmost of respect. There is a very big difference between having an opinion on a subject, and expressing that opinion disrespectfully to someone in person.

Until I posted my stats on request upthread, for all you would have known I could be the most self-loathing fatass in the world. And frankly, considering I grew up in the midwest and did suffer from really bad childhood obesity up through the first half of college until I started taking responsibility for myself and my health, I'm pretty confident I have the place to speak on this issue. I know all the excuses; I used to use many of them. Maybe that's why I'm so critical of it in other people, but I do know what it takes to fix things, and frankly I don't think it's really all that hard or complicated. When I dine exclusively on fast food and drink excessively, I gain weight pretty quickly. When I eat healthfully, and balance my caloric intake, I maintain. When I restrict my caloric intake, continue to eat healthfully, and increase my physical activity (walking--exclusively walking), I lose weight.

There is no secret trick to it. It takes nothing to take the stairs instead of the elevator, it takes nothing to walk to the corner store instead of driving, and it takes nothing to order a filling and nutritious meal at a restaurant instead of the deep-fried entree loaded with cheese and olive oil. Walking a mile takes ~15-20 minutes at a moderate pace, and burns 100 calories. Forego the dessert at the restaurant and take a half hour walk upon returning home, and not only are you aiding your digestion, but you are saving yourself 300+ calories on top of the 200 you burn walking 2 miles.

I work my ass off to stay somewhat in shape. Non-flabby is what I work for, and I work hard. Problem is, as Camino pointed out, not many people do. My generation has a lower life expectancy than my parents. I kinda like living, I'm willing to work out a bit and not Supersize in order to do it a bit longer.

I work my ass off to stay somewhat in shape. Non-flabby is what I work for, and I work hard. Problem is, as Camino pointed out, not many people do. My generation has a lower life expectancy than my parents. I kinda like living, I'm willing to work out a bit and not Supersize in order to do it a bit longer.

I can't finish a supersized anything. After going long enough without that kind of food intake, I now know what actually being full is like, and not the "I'm so full I'm about to puke," which was my MO back in the day. Now, I can't even eat half of what I used to regularly in one sitting.

Yeah... the Mall is not a place I like

to frequent. Hard to believe I used

to work at one.

I hate shopping- I treat it like a Navy Seal mission : in, secure target, get out.

Tolerable clothes shopping experience: 10 minutes.

Exactly. I love getting clothes for Christmas.... every

pair of jeans & shirt I get is another dreaded shopping

experience bullet dodged.

Buying clothes online seems crazy.

Kind of like trying to bowl w/ a brick.

I do some clothes shopping online, like shoes from Zappos...

How can you trust what size to get?

I'm like 4 different sizes depending on

the shoe's brand, style, temperature,

barometric pressure etc.

Still you're not the only one, I load

those Zappos boxes on UPS trucks like

they're giving them away.

Buying clothes online seems crazy.

Kind of like trying to bowl w/ a brick.

How can you trust what size to get?

I'm like 4 different sizes depending on

the shoe's brand, style, temperature,

barometric pressure etc.

Still you're not the only one, I load

those Zappos boxes on UPS trucks like

they're giving them away.

I have yet to have a problem with buying shoes online...maybe it's because I generally stick with just a few brands--Ecco (my favorite brand), Mephisto, Rockport, New Balance, but 10 1/2 or 44 UK seems to work fine every time.

I know what Sixty8 means... I've got one pair that's a 10.5 and another that's a 9. How the size can vary so much is just odd. I don't know what my real size is. :P

Yeah, different types of shoes vary a lot also...like my golf shoes, biking shoes, and my Piloti driving shoes are a smaller size than my 'work' shoes.

Then there are the people that have feet that are two different sizes...for a year or so after foot surgery to remove a bone spur on her big toe, my sister had to buy two pairs of shoes to be able to make one pair.

This just in: fat is not green. Lose weight to help save the planet. Stop global warming by getting thin. Fun for all.

Obesity causes Climate Change

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

POLAR BEARS ARE DYING BECAUSE YOU'RE FAT!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THAT IS SOME FUNNY $h!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

POLAR BEARS ARE DYING BECAUSE YOU'RE FAT!!!

Yeah,

It would make a great April 1 or Onion article, but is apparently real.

I can see it now, greenie ultrathin vegans screaming at obese people---'You are destroying the environment! Get thin or die!!"

Yeah,

It would make a great April 1 or Onion article, but is apparently real.

I can see it now, greenie ultrathin vegans screaming at obese people---'You are destroying the environment! Get thin or die!!"

Reminds me of the old satirical website http://www.mylifeissoawkward.com/anorexic/...obeanorexic.htm with the tagline "You Should Be Anorexic or Everything about You Is Ugly"

Choice quotes:

"You want fries with that? Guess you don't want friends with that..."

"People will try to tell you that you should be happy with yourself the way you are. This is just because they are FAT and want you to be fatter than they are."

"Ice is an awesome substitute for food. It’s way more solid than water, and you can chew it. Make sure to only eat ice that is both low-cal and carb-free. Since you don’t want anyone to to see you eating, only chew ice at night, alone, in the dark."

"further more, we recommend Evian as the only worthy bottled water. Fiji's pH level is too low and Poland Springs is domestic."

Edited by Croc

I just disagree with this because I just don't judge people about stuff like that because I know there are people who have food addictions that they suffer with. I also know that many of these ready made foods come with fillers that make people fatter. I am very tall, work out for two hours a day, 1 hr cardio, 1 hr weight training, and when I see someone who is obese or overweight I feel sorry for them. In my belief, it's not my place to judge someone because I don't know their whole story. Hell, many people are not educated regarding nutrition so they just flat don't know what to eat that will make them feel good, and many do not know how to lose weight, or have the money to have somone teach them. It's really sad. It's really none of my business what people do with their health. I just try to see them as people first and all this other crap is not an issue if they are a good hearted person. The same goes for smokers, ugly people, or any other habit that is not pleasing to the eye. Thankfully this is America and you have a right to your opinion and feelings. But the fat people have a right to over eat and under exercise, just like smokers have the right to smoke, and ugly people have the right to exist.

The reason I find this thread disappointing to me is that it is another reminder to me of the disrespect and continued shallow judgemental nature of people that just seems to be worse and worse.

Gospel!

I was wondering something similar...

I wonder if the outsourcing of manufacturing jobs (which are usually physical) has lead to more obesity.

I bet the correlation would be tough to prove, but it has to exist to a point. When you take people out of the factory and throw them into a McDonald's they're going to eat McDonald's. And McDonald's is neither healthy nor slimming.

Food is not "addictive." There is no physically addicting property to it. "Psychological addiction" is just a responsibility-evading term for "poor self-control."

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't expect anything less condescending...

I certainly do not contest that the obese have the right to be lazy gluttons (to paraphrase your post), but I most certainly have the right to think poorly of gluttony and sloth.

Just as I have the right to think poorly of arrogance and naivity.

You can certainly be a kind, good-hearted person and be obese, but you can't argue against physical appearance (especially the controllable aspects of it) having an influence on people's perceptions of you. There are many studies out there (do a quick google search if you'd like) linking attitudes and values to physical appearance. Very fit people tend to be very efficient, goal-oriented, and attentive to their work. Obviously not EVERYONE fits this, but many people do. People who are fit tend to be more health-conscious and careful in other aspects of their lives. Fit people tend to have better self-control. So yes, I will (and so will most people whether or not they have the balls to admit it) judge people based on physical appearance. There is firm science backing up many of the judgments, and this is the reality we live in.

Actually, this is some really interesting research... I even found a study on increased perception of aggressive behavior in relation to facial hair.

Hmmm... oatmeal, green tea and a glass of grapefruit juice for breakfast, small bag potato chips and two double chocolate cookies at break time, peanut butter and jelly on homemade wheat bread with a diet coke for lunch (took sliced peaches and a banana but didn't eat them), and a dark green salad for dinner with slivered carrot, chopped tomato and mushroom and ham, and homemade orange vinaigrette.

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't expect anything less condescending...

Prove me wrong. Show me a legitimate medical study showing that food is physically addictive. And I would love to hear how a "psychological addiction" is different than a lack of self-control. Please, enlighten me, since I stopped being obese once I took responsibility for my situation and quit making excuses. Clearly I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about.

Just as I have the right to think poorly of arrogance and naivity.

I don't really see why you continually feel the need to "call me out" personally instead of sticking to discussing issues. Once again, you take it personal when it wasn't done so against you. Do you think I really give a $h! what you think of me?

Actually, this is some really interesting research... I even found a study on increased perception of aggressive behavior in relation to facial hair.

This is true. Styles of dress, posture, proxemics, all of these visual and non-verbal cues say so much about a person. It's uncanny how inside someone's head you can get with just a small bit of applied perception.

Prove me wrong. Show me a legitimate medical study showing that food is physically addictive. And I would love to hear how a "psychological addiction" is different than a lack of self-control. Please, enlighten me, since I stopped being obese once I took responsibility for my situation and quit making excuses. Clearly I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about.

<h2 class="me">ad⋅dic⋅tion  AC_FL_RunContent = 0; var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://cache.lexico.com/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "17", "15", "speaker.gif  /əˈdɪkthinsp.pngʃən/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-dik-shuhthinsp.pngn] –noun the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

</h2>Stop eating. Lets see how long before you crumble, you food addict. We're all "addicted", in a sense, to food... and water and air. Sure, food is not addictive in the same way as nicotine, caffeine, alcohol or other illicit drugs... but unlike those additions, you _have_ to eat. An alcoholic would be hard pressed to quit if they had to have a little bit of alcohol every day.

The fact of the matter is that eating turns on the pleasure centers of the brain, and it TASTES GOOD. Just as people are showing signs of "sex addition", "internet addition" or "videogame addiction", stimulating and seeking continual stimulation is a powerful force to fight. Did you hear about the couple who left their baby to starve while "addicted" to playing World of Warcraft or some other MMOG? Its insane, but that just goes to show how important that brain chemistry is.

Now I'm not trying to defend the obesity epidemic in America... it is a serious problem, and people have to take some responsibility and some action, but the solution is not as simple as "stopping being obese". Different people have difference brain chemistry, metabolism and different situations. Just as some people can eat like pigs and stay thin, some people can adjust a factor or two and lose weight easily. Others can't. Or things change, and you can't maintain it.

I've likely lost more weight in 10 months than you weighed, in total, when you were at your obese peak... without any surgery or diet pills... so I know something about this, as well.

For me, it was a situation change and a new antidepressant. It was easy... the desire for food went away, and I actually had to remind myself to eat. Did it last? Yes and no. I'm heavier now than I'd like to be... but not as bad as before. The situation changed, I was unable to exercise or eat properly... stress levels rose and four years later, I'm heavier than I'd like. I have attempted to duplicate the results, but haven't gotten the balance right. Lucky for me, I can hide the weight as I'm just a big guy... at 250~275, I actually look a bit haggard.

The bottom line, is that when you fight to lose the weight, it is _hard_. Hardest thing I've ever done. Its frustrating, since your body can become _very_ efficient at storing those pounds and very time consuming, to stock a house full of fresh fruits and vegetables and to exercise a hour or two everyday. Plus you have to combat the pain and existing additional body wear that obesity has inflicted on your system.

I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but I guarantee that if your situation changed enough, the weight would come back. You'll notice that they are only called excuses when they are someone else's... or the obese self from from the past. When they are used by the current self, they are called 'reasons'.

<h2 class="me">ad⋅dic⋅tion  AC_FL_RunContent = 0; var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://cache.lexico.com/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "17", "15", "speaker.gif  /əˈdɪkthinsp.pngʃən/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-dik-shuhthinsp.pngn] –noun the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

</h2>Stop eating. Lets see how long before you crumble, you food addict. We're all "addicted", in a sense, to food... and water and air. Sure, food is not addictive in the same way as nicotine, caffeine, alcohol or other illicit drugs... but unlike those additions, you _have_ to eat. An alcoholic would be hard pressed to quit if they had to have a little bit of alcohol every day.

The fact of the matter is that eating turns on the pleasure centers of the brain, and it TASTES GOOD. Just as people are showing signs of "sex addition", "internet addition" or "videogame addiction", stimulating and seeking continual stimulation is a powerful force to fight. Did you hear about the couple who left their baby to starve while "addicted" to playing World of Warcraft or some other MMOG? Its insane, but that just goes to show how important that brain chemistry is.

Now I'm not trying to defend the obesity epidemic in America... it is a serious problem, and people have to take some responsibility and some action, but the solution is not as simple as "stopping being obese". Different people have difference brain chemistry, metabolism and different situations. Just as some people can eat like pigs and stay thin, some people can adjust a factor or two and lose weight easily. Others can't. Or things change, and you can't maintain it.

I've likely lost more weight in 10 months than you weighed, in total, when you were at your obese peak... without any surgery or diet pills... so I know something about this, as well.

For me, it was a situation change and a new antidepressant. It was easy... the desire for food went away, and I actually had to remind myself to eat. Did it last? Yes and no. I'm heavier now than I'd like to be... but not as bad as before. The situation changed, I was unable to exercise or eat properly... stress levels rose and four years later, I'm heavier than I'd like. I have attempted to duplicate the results, but haven't gotten the balance right. Lucky for me, I can hide the weight as I'm just a big guy... at 250~275, I actually look a bit haggard.

The bottom line, is that when you fight to lose the weight, it is _hard_. Hardest thing I've ever done. Its frustrating, since your body can become _very_ efficient at storing those pounds and very time consuming, to stock a house full of fresh fruits and vegetables and to exercise a hour or two everyday. Plus you have to combat the pain and existing additional body wear that obesity has inflicted on your system.

I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but I guarantee that if your situation changed enough, the weight would come back. You'll notice that they are only called excuses when they are someone else's... or the obese self from from the past. When they are used by the current self, they are called 'reasons'.

Sorry, but I don't see how this disproves what I said. Putting down the french fries and eating a salad instead won't cause severe trauma. It is self-control. Self-control to use appropriate portions, self-control to know whether or not you can even handle yourself at buffets (I can't...still can't, so I don't go to all-you-can-eat buffets), self-control to eat more slowly instead of devouring everything in sight quickly, self-control to realize when you're full, and self-control to choose the right foods in the first place.

It's all about balance. You can eat the chocolate cake (but one piece...not the whole thing), the french fries, the fried chicken, etc. But you really, really shouldn't eat all of them in one day.

I hate exercise, and I love fried food. I also had a rather intense surgery that took nearly 4 years to recover from. I also have a slow metabolism, and obesity runs in half my family. I also have an abnormally high arch, so running is particularly tough on my joints. I also have athletically-induced asthma. Again, I tell you, they are all excuses. You may want to call them "reasons" but they are only crutches. They are not reasons, they are excuses.

And I honestly don't think losing weight is that hard. I know when I'm doing it, and I know when I'm not. Am I where I want to be? No. Is it frustrating that I've been stuck 15 lbs away from my target weight for most of a year now? Yes. But at the same time I know when I'm on it, and eating right, and walking enough, and I also know very well when I am sitting in front of the television eating ice cream and In-N-Out.

You're right that there's no one-size-fits-all method of weight loss, but calories in vs. calories out is universal. 3500 calories = 1 lb. But some things work better for different people. Some people can control themselves around a buffet. I can't. So I avoid placing myself in a situation where I KNOW I will overeat.

Oh, and drink lots of water, because a lot of the times you think you're hungry/peckish, you're really thirsty. Plus most people don't drink enough water.

Sorry, but I don't see how this disproves what I said. Putting down the french fries and eating a salad instead won't cause severe trauma. It is self-control.

You didn't read what I wrote. I said, STOP EATING ALTOGETHER. The same mechanism that drives people to overeat at the slightest stress or hunger will kick in. Your brain chemistry will direct you to eat garbage, other people, leather and anything it thinks it can digest. If you can prove self control to the point of unconsciousness by starvation, you win the argument. In the meantime, this survival instinct kicks in and overrides a good deal of self control pretty easily in some people.

Self-control to use appropriate portions, self-control to know whether or not you can even handle yourself at buffets (I can't...still can't, so I don't go to all-you-can-eat buffets), self-control to eat more slowly instead of devouring everything in sight quickly, self-control to realize when you're full, and self-control to choose the right foods in the first place.

It's all about balance. You can eat the chocolate cake (but one piece...not the whole thing), the french fries, the fried chicken, etc. But you really, really shouldn't eat all of them in one day.

You think I eat cake and french fries? Yeah, right... once in a blue moon. I don't even really like French fries. A buffet? I don't put myself in that position for two reasons, its tough to stop, and quite frankly the crappy food isn't worth the calories.

I have eaten today... two cans of tunafish, almonds, peanuts, 2oz of string cheese, two apples, one orange... I'm about to cut up a large amount of broccoli. That will likely be it for the day. Hardly a McDonald's all-you-can-eat fried fest.

I can only eat things that are "new". If Ben and Jerry or Doritos puts out a new flavor, I can have it... then never again. I'll be stopping by KFC soon to try the new Kentucky Grilled Chicken, then I will likely never have it again.

Oh, and drink lots of water, because a lot of the times you think you're hungry/peckish, you're really thirsty. Plus most people don't drink enough water.

I can't. I can drink water by the gallon... it immediately runs through my system... by the gallon. If I want to spend all day in the urinal, this would be the plan... but I'll suffer from electrolyte imbalances for the rest of the day... which can be painful. I have to bind the liquid to something... usually diet iced tea with Spenda... zero calories... says in my system for a while.

Overall, it hasn't helped. It will take a minimum of one hour of vigorous exercise for me to make a significant weight change... which I simply don't have the time to do right now. Of course, exercise is another pro/con, as I put muscle mass on quite quickly... which is heavy... but granted, helps raise metabolism.

BV, I know you're still quite young... you have that on your side. There are big differences in losing weight between 20 and 30 or between 30 and 40 years of age.

You didn't read what I wrote. I said, STOP EATING ALTOGETHER. The same mechanism that drives people to overeat at the slightest stress or hunger will kick in. Your brain chemistry will direct you to eat garbage, other people, leather and anything it thinks it can digest. If you can prove self control to the point of unconsciousness by starvation, you win the argument. In the meantime, this survival instinct kicks in and overrides a good deal of self control pretty easily in some people.

No, I read what you wrote. You typed it again, and it still makes no sense. Who said anything about NOT eating anything at all? And why are you? Nobody is advocating that. BTW--people who don't eat anything at all actually DO have a ton of self control--they're called anorexics, and they usually obsess with maintaining control over food because they feel it is the one thing in their lives that they can control.

You think I eat cake and french fries? Yeah, right... once in a blue moon. I don't even really like French fries. A buffet? I don't put myself in that position for two reasons, its tough to stop, and quite frankly the crappy food isn't worth the calories.

I never pretended to know what it is you eat regularly. My post was using the universal "you."

I have eaten today... two cans of tunafish, almonds, peanuts, 2oz of string cheese, two apples, one orange... I'm about to cut up a large amount of broccoli. That will likely be it for the day. Hardly a McDonald's all-you-can-eat fried fest.

?

I can only eat things that are "new". If Ben and Jerry or Doritos puts out a new flavor, I can have it... then never again. I'll be stopping by KFC soon to try the new Kentucky Grilled Chicken, then I will likely never have it again.

That seems fairly restricting. If I like it, I'll eat it, just in moderation.

I can't. I can drink water by the gallon... it immediately runs through my system... by the gallon. If I want to spend all day in the urinal, this would be the plan... but I'll suffer from electrolyte imbalances for the rest of the day... which can be painful. I have to bind the liquid to something... usually diet iced tea with Spenda... zero calories... says in my system for a while.

My experience has been that those artificial sweeteners inhibit weight loss. Nutrasweet definitely does, and I have had some concerns on the effects of Splenda on me when I've ingested it.

Overall, it hasn't helped. It will take a minimum of one hour of vigorous exercise for me to make a significant weight change... which I simply don't have the time to do right now. Of course, exercise is another pro/con, as I put muscle mass on quite quickly... which is heavy... but granted, helps raise metabolism.

Muscle mass is healthy weight. And I disagree that vigorous, aerobic activity is necessary. Studies have shows that regular anaerobic exercise is just as effective as occasional aerobic. The key is to get moving, whether it is taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or going for a walk after dinner. You burn calories by the mile, whether walking or running. 1 mile walking is 100 calories burnt, and running is like 102. Frankly, I enjoy walking more, and it doesn't feel like exercise. When I ran, it was 3 miles 3-4 days a week. Now, it's walking 3-4 miles just about every day. Net gain for my health.

BV, I know you're still quite young... you have that on your side. There are big differences in losing weight between 20 and 30 or between 30 and 40 years of age.

Not really. The biggest difference is an overall decrease in muscle mass, which does affect metabolism, but that doesn't come with age...it comes with not exercising and using your muscle. Someone who keeps their muscle as they age will have no problem losing the weight as they get older. Some people just never get in the habit to begin with, and then it can sneak up on them.

I ate such a small lunch yesterday (starved) that I stopped by McDonald's and ate a double quarter pounder meal, medium with a diet coke. I had every intention of then heading over to the gym... but there were no parking spaces, so I came home and plopped my butt in front of the computer.

I just can't imagine ever making a science of what I eat, I don't get the fascination.

I eat what I want, when I want, and as much as I want.

That's good enough for me.

It's not really much of a science, honestly. I don't really "count" calories...I used to, but just to know ~ what's in foods. Now I know. So now instead of looking at a sandwich and thinking "lunch!", I look at it and see what's in it and make a judgment on whether or not I should eat it in light of what I've already eaten, plan on eating for dinner...or if I even care at all. If it's option c) I will likely make an effort to take a longer walk than usual.

...And just how often do you see kids playing outside? Riding bikes? Running?

This "obesity epidemic" is really a " sitting on your ass epidemic".

Five pages later, there's the answer.

Another reason to kill your TV.

• 11 months later...

We went to the mall today to check something out. In addition to all the fat people, there were a lot of those typical skanky 15 year old girls. My wife and I were at Starbucks and saw a group of 5-6 of them. As we're standing there waiting, Jill said something about half of them probably having herpes, I told her they probably all have herpes, but half of them have probably had abortions. And thus, a fun mall game was born.

Ahhhh, American society. We're f@#ked.