OH MY GOD

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is precisely the sort of collective thinking that offends me so much.

The sort we all should leave behind.

Freedom is messy and imperfect - get used to it.

Or surrender it.

What, like the freedom to actually get your entire airline seat that YOU PAID FOR? The freedom to pay your OWN way for health insurance? Yeah, I'm not saying you shouldn't have the freedom to be a fat ass, but I don't want to subsidize it. Southwest has been charging obese people for two seats for over 25 years, yet only recently have people started complaining about it.

It might be that the individual was born that way. With a predisposition for shoving things down their throats.

Even if they are born that way, we can change them, we'll just have to put them into special camps and make them pray a lot.

I have no issue with people paying for their choices.

But I do have an issue with taking those choices away "for the greater good".

Just thought I'd clarify that.

I don't think I've ever advocated for removing the choice to be an unhealthy lardass...I'm just not usually a fan of people who choose that choice over more aesthetic and healthy choices. There are exceptions, but not very many.

I don't think I've ever advocated for removing the choice to be an unhealthy lardass...I'm just not usually a fan of people who choose that choice over more aesthetic and healthy choices. There are exceptions, but not very many.

Glad to hear you say that.

One of my favorites quotes goes something like this:

"People pay for what they do, and more than that, they pay for what they have allowed themselves to become.

And they pay for it simply,

by the lives they lead."

Americans are getting fat, and they're getting fat fast. Cant blame genetics for Americans exploding over the last 15 years. Can only blame Americans.

In '94, 16 states were between 15-19% and none were 20% or more. In 2006 4 states were between 15-19% and ALL the others were above. Wow.

Edited by Satty

Start paying my health insurance and I'll quit worrying about public health risks.

Wrong way to look at it.

1) because it isn't a "public" health risk, it is a personal health risk.

2) the only beneficiary financially from less obesity are the insurance companies - if you expect them to "pass on the savings" I want some of what you're smoking.

But allowing higher premiums for the "willingly obese" doesn't bother me in the least.

Start paying my health insurance and I'll quit worrying about public health risks.

Following that logic, tiny car owners (well it's the former owners really) drive up auto-insurance costs for those that aren't horribly killed.

Following that logic, tiny car owners (well it's the former owners really) drive up auto-insurance costs for those that aren't horribly killed.

They drive up insurance costs for other small car owners. Health insurance companies dont do it the same way.

They drive up insurance costs for other small car owners. Health insurance companies dont do it the same way.

Then it is those companies that should be the subject of scrutiny, not the fat people.

For example: I smoke, therefore any insurance I buy will be more expensive - I know this.

So, I can quit, or I can pay more.

Simple.

Americans are getting fat, and they're getting fat fast. Cant blame genetics for Americans exploding over the last 15 years. Can only blame Americans.

In '94, 16 states were between 15-19% and none were 20% or more. In 2006 4 states were between 15-19% and ALL the others were above. Wow.

Fascinating stats.. too much fast food, too little exercise, I guess.

Looking at those graphs, I wonder if there's been a slide in 'productivity' over the years in those areas with high obesity.

Looking at those graphs, I wonder if there's been a slide in 'productivity' over the years in those areas with high obesity.

Nope.

Just a decline in manufacturing and a spike in fast food sales.

Truly, many more Americans sit on their asses to make a living than ever before - so I don't see this as a big surprise that so many more are fat.

Not at all.... but I also don't eat a triple bacon whopper with cheese, a bucket of fries, and wash it down with a gallon of cola just because I can.

"I don't want a large farva. I want a goddamn litre o' cola!"

Personally, when I go to the movies, I ask for the Bladder-buster size... of Diet Coke.

Nope.

Just a decline in manufacturing and a spike in fast food sales.

Truly, many more Americans sit on their asses to make a living than ever before - so I don't see this as a big surprise that so many more are fat.

Ya, 8 hrs a day sitting in my cube on arse in front of computer, fast or 'quick casual' food for lunch, 1 hr a day driving, 3-4 hrs in the evening watching tv or surfing the web. I am my own worst enemy.

It's my business if I have to look at it in too-tight clothing, it spills onto my airplane seat, it gets subsidized by my health insurance, it gets subsidized by my tax dollars through disability claims, and when I have to pay an extra $25 to check a second bag at the airport. It's called "public health" because it is a concern of the public--and each member of the public contributes to the aggregate statistics.

I'm certainly not perfectly in shape, either, but I've lost 8 inches on my waist since I decided I was tired of being overweight and was going to do something about it. 4 years ago I was 214 lbs, wore a size L and 36" waist. Now I'm a 28/30 waist, wear size S or XS, and weigh about 155. And I don't even recognize myself in really old photos. It's awesome, and I highly recommend taking health seriously to anyone I can.

I just disagree with this because I just don't judge people about stuff like that because I know there are people who have food addictions that they suffer with. I also know that many of these ready made foods come with fillers that make people fatter. I am very tall, work out for two hours a day, 1 hr cardio, 1 hr weight training, and when I see someone who is obese or overweight I feel sorry for them. In my belief, it's not my place to judge someone because I don't know their whole story. Hell, many people are not educated regarding nutrition so they just flat don't know what to eat that will make them feel good, and many do not know how to lose weight, or have the money to have somone teach them. It's really sad. It's really none of my business what people do with their health. I just try to see them as people first and all this other crap is not an issue if they are a good hearted person. The same goes for smokers, ugly people, or any other habit that is not pleasing to the eye. Thankfully this is America and you have a right to your opinion and feelings. But the fat people have a right to over eat and under exercise, just like smokers have the right to smoke, and ugly people have the right to exist.

The reason I find this thread disappointing to me is that it is another reminder to me of the disrespect and continued shallow judgemental nature of people that just seems to be worse and worse.

The reason I find this thread disappointing to me is that it is another reminder to me of the disrespect and continued shallow judgemental nature of people that just seems to be worse and worse.

Yup.

Even worse, themes like this always serve some other interest (like the insurance industry) making dupes of those that buy the drivel and "demand that something be done".

Divide and conquer.

A tried and true strategy.

Yup. I'm disappointed in some of the people in this thread, especially since some of them make themselves out to be the champions respect for others and so on.

...And just how often do you see kids playing outside? Riding bikes? Running?

This "obesity epidemic" is really a " sitting on your ass epidemic".

THIS.

Though where I live now, I see plenty of kids out playing or even just walking to get somewhere. Not so much in other places.