Car and Driver - 10Best

pow

In the past, each vehicle represented a market segment. I don't know if they still break it down like that. Missing this year are the Acura RL, Dodge Magnum, and Mercedes SLK350, replaced by the A3, Miata, and Boxster. The 300C got upgraded to the SRT-8 model.

[quote name='giantshark18' date='Nov 17 2005, 08:46 PM']
Wow, no Toyota products. Could the world be coming to an end?? :o

[post="44761"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

When the vette or 3er don't make the top 10, then the world might be coming to an end...

All those car can't match the Cadillac Deville nor the Lincoln Town Car .

[post="44957"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What in the living hell are you talking about? :blink:

Two domestic luxo-barges, based on old mechanicals, are NEVER going to win any kind of best award, unless compared against one another only. Nice cars, but not even REMOTELY worthy of this kind of award.

Some other notes:
-The TSX is still somewhat of an "oddball", but based on everything I've ever seen and read, it just seems like one of the most refined, high quality small sedans available ANYWHERE for under $30k, which is why it always wins. I remember, once, they said it "defined the term precision" in every move and feel.
-300C....I think that one pretty much explains itself :AH-HA_wink:
-Corvette and Mustang....again :AH-HA_wink:

All in all, just as expected, and all are very worthy of the award.

Second Thought: Wouldn't it be interesting if GM had a sedan that could even remotely excel at almost everything like the Accord does, year after year? Like, for instance, if the G6 was similar in size to the current car, but had top-shelf interior materials and design, clean, crisp outside lines, and the 2.4L with 5-spd manual or auto and the 3.6L with 6-spd manual or auto ONLY? Hell, ditching the growly OHV engines alone would probably push it up several notches in the rankings. Oh well, just thought that'd be an interesting suggestion.... B) Edited by caddycruiser

Gotta-have factor apparantly makes the Mustang 10 Best. There's no other reason because Gotta-have factor is the only reason the Mustang beat the GTO in a head to head comparison in C&D. Someone needs to point out to them that just because a car is more "gotta-have" doesn't make it the better car. If the GTO is better (which they basically said it was) then it should be on the 10 Best list.

Gotta-have factor apparantly makes the Mustang 10 Best. There's no other reason because Gotta-have factor is the only reason the Mustang beat the GTO in a head to head comparison in C&D. Someone needs to point out to them that just because a car is more "gotta-have" doesn't make it the better car. If the GTO is better (which they basically said it was) then it should be on the 10 Best list.

[post="45902"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But the GTO is also more expensive and less stylistically appealing to the masses, is it not?

You get what you pay for in terms of equipment level and refinement, IMO.

[post="45964"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I totally agree, and I'm not bashing on the GTO or anything, I love the GTO, but price and style (especially style) are major contributing factors when it comes to cars. If the GTO had mroe style, people may be able to justify its price more. Style means a lot...take my mom for example, now, she is partial to bugs ever since owning them as a kid and being in VW clubs. She knew back then they were pieces of junk and she knows today that they still aren't that great of cars, yet she loves the beetle convertible and was trying to justify the near 30 grand price tag to get one...why? based on styling alone of course...yea, sure, they may be cute, but they are way overpriced pieces of junk.

I can understand the argument of the GTO not being on the 10Best list, but obviously style plays a big role. While the GTO may be a superior car to the Mustang in most ways, it lacks in style and depending on the mustang, affordability as well. And taking into consideration every day people who dont know a whole lot about cars, people may look at the mustang, think its a great looking car and they won't see far past that. On the other hand, people will see the GTO and no matter how great the car may be, they'll see right through it because it doesn't have that style. It doesn't have that initial impact which woo's buyers and turns heads. It seems to be (in the case of these 2 cars anyways) like judging a book by it's cover.

From my view, it boils down to whether you like to go fast or go fast and have everyone stare at you. If you like the attention, Mustang is the way to go. If you want more of a sleeper, the GTO is where its at. No doubt a sharp-colored Mustang GT 'vert turns more heads, but a GTO probably wouldn't get the cops on you quite as fast - after all, that was just another Grand Prix coupe shooting past, right? I do like the Mustang, though, my biggest gripe being those godawful headrests, especially how they look in the convertibles. Just diff' strokes.

I would tend to question the following three:

Mazda MX-5
Audi A3
Porsche Boxster

[post="46016"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the boxster is for real, the MX5 is a huge reach IMHO. I'd bet the S2000 is still a better overall car AND the solstic is a virtual equal to the Mazda with better styling.

the A3 cannot be had for 25 g.

C/D has made the 10best such a complex issue, instead of the acutal 10 best now its segmented due to markets etc.

they should do ten best affordable cars and 10 best not so affordables. Who can afford a Boxster?

the boxster is for real, the MX5 is a huge reach IMHO.  I'd bet the S2000 is still a better overall car AND the solstic is a virtual equal to the Mazda with better styling.

C/D has made the 10best such a complex issue, instead of the acutal 10 best now its segmented due to markets etc.

they should do ten best affordable cars and 10 best not so affordables.  Who can afford a Boxster?

[post="46119"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Boxster deserves it....I've driven it and it's a GREAT sports car.

MX-5 also deserves it, as I've driven that too....and in interior quality and trunk space, it trounces Solstice. Solstice deserves accolades, but I'm not sure it deserves 10Best over MX-5. S2000 is a piece of crap. I had one for two days and it was a joke. Other than being fast from 6,200rpms up, it doesn't do anything else better than MX-5 or Solstice....and the ride is awful, and the structural integrity of the chassis is lacking. The interior is even tighter than MX-5 or Solstice, AND it's way more expensive.

A3 is a nice car....but I don't undertand 10Best. It's way expensive compared to contemporary A4s, loaded Jettas, and even Passats.

the boxster is for real, the MX5 is a huge reach IMHO.  I'd bet the S2000 is still a better overall car AND the solstic is a virtual equal to the Mazda with better styling.

they should do ten best affordable cars and 10 best not so affordables.  Who can afford a Boxster?

[post="46119"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Boxster is in the same price range as the 'Vette...would you knock the 'Vette off the list?

I can see leaving off the $75-150k and above models (everything is pretty much excellent at that level), but $50-60k is at the upper end of the mainstream, IMHO..

The A3 is an interesting choice, but it is a neat premium compact..a very European car... Edited by moltar

I can understand the argument of the GTO not being on the 10Best list, but obviously style plays a big role. While the GTO may be a superior car to the Mustang in most ways, it lacks in style and depending on the mustang, affordability as well. And taking into consideration every day people who dont know a whole lot about cars, people may look at the mustang, think its a great looking car and they won't see far past that. On the other hand, people will see the GTO and no matter how great the car may be, they'll see right through it because it doesn't have that style. It doesn't have that initial impact which woo's buyers and turns heads. It seems to be (in the case of these 2 cars anyways) like judging a book by it's cover.

[post="45977"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, C&D did factor in styling when it tested the two, and the Mustang did beat the GTO pretty handily in that department, but the GTO made up the difference in others. Even after they factored in as-tested prices, the GTO was still ahead. The Mustang only won because of some "gotta-have it" BS. IMO, "gotta-have it" factor has nothing to do with how good it is, and because styling was already factored in that arguement should be null-and-void; apparantly "gotta-have it" has to do with how cool people will think you are driving one.

Also, if styling matters a lot, I would scratch the Accord and add the Fusion or Mazda6, even though I personally feel the Accord is probably the best vehicle out of the three, even though I'd never buy one because of looks alone.

[post="45902"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Imagine the driving dynamics of the GTO & the looks of the Solstice or Cam.....a certain vehicle all wrapped into one nice, tidy package :P

From my view, it boils down to whether you like to go fast or go fast and have everyone stare at you. If you like the attention, Mustang is the way to go. If you want more of a sleeper, the GTO is where its at. No doubt a sharp-colored Mustang GT 'vert turns more heads, but a GTO probably wouldn't get the cops on you quite as fast - after all, that was just another Grand Prix coupe shooting past, right?

I do like the Mustang, though, my biggest gripe being those godawful headrests, especially how they look in the convertibles. Just diff' strokes.

[post="45990"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't forget that Ford also offers you a base, V6 Mustang for the high-teens, low-twenties that gives GREAT performance (C&D got 0-60 I believe in under 7secs..) for little money.

The V6 Mustang is alot of car for the money. You'd have to spend $28K on a GTP G6 coupe to match it.....

What in the living hell are you talking about? :blink:

Two domestic luxo-barges, based on old mechanicals, are NEVER going to win any kind of best award, unless compared against one another only.  Nice cars, but not even REMOTELY worthy of this kind of award.

Some other notes:
-The TSX is still somewhat of an "oddball", but based on everything I've ever seen and read, it just seems like one of the most refined, high quality small sedans available ANYWHERE for under $30k, which is why it always wins.  I remember, once, they said it "defined the term precision" in every move and feel.
-300C....I think that one pretty much explains itself :AH-HA_wink:
-Corvette and Mustang....again :AH-HA_wink:

All in all, just as expected, and all are very worthy of the award.

Second Thought: Wouldn't it be interesting if GM had a sedan that could even remotely excel at almost everything like the Accord does, year after year?  Like, for instance, if the G6 was similar in size to the current car, but had top-shelf interior materials and design, clean, crisp outside lines, and the 2.4L with 5-spd manual or auto and the 3.6L with 6-spd manual or auto ONLY?  Hell, ditching the growly OHV engines alone would probably push it up several notches in the rankings.  Oh well, just thought that'd be an interesting suggestion.... B)

[post="45044"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why the hell does it matter what type of engine it has? If it runs smooth, has power, and isn't overly loud it shouldn't matter. That's like saying rims would affect their ratings.