Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pow

Real-World Lucerne CXL pictures - Blue/Shale

51 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-CXL-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

The door panels look great, better than the DTS's, but the dash... it's just lacking something. The HVAC/stereo controls look particularly downmarket. And outside, from the side, it looks like a flattened asymmetrical bell. Still, nice to see progress. Most of the materials look fine. And the anthracite wheels look great, though they don't fit the car's body. Unlike the Lucerne, the DTS doesn't look like it's floating, even with the 17" wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-CXL-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

The door panels look great, better than the DTS's, but the dash... it's just lacking something. The HVAC/stereo controls look particularly downmarket. And outside, from the side, it looks like a flattened asymmetrical bell. Still, nice to see progress. Most of the materials look fine. And the anthracite wheels look great, though they don't fit the car's body. Unlike the Lucerne, the DTS doesn't look like it's floating, even with the 17" wheels.

[post="44794"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're evaluating the car based upon an ebay listing? It looks much better in person than the deceptive snaps that the dealer's internet manager took. I agree that these dull perpetually dirty looking wheels are the pits. Better to reserve final judgment when you do see on in person.

I think the interior looks cheap because the black steering wheel looks totally out of place. I saw my first Lucerne today, but I only saw it for about 10 seconds before it turned. It was a Sharkskin CXS and looked REALLY good. Much better than I had anticipated. I would actually consider buying one if I was in the market for/wanted a big car. I can't say I would really consider buying a Buick over another comparable GM vehicle other than the Lucerne.

I think the interior looks cheap because the black steering wheel looks totally out of place.

[post="45241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The steering wheel isn't black, Northstar. It's the same BLUE color as the rest of the Tuxedo Blue two-tone trim interior. Even the interior carpet is the same blue color. It looks great to me.

Oh, it looked black to me. Maybe my monitor is crappy. Maybe it will look better in person, but I honestly couldn't tell that that was blue until you pointed it out. I also didn't understand why empowah said it was Blue/Shale, but now I do. I think I should get my eyes checked :lol:

There are some wierd distortions going on in those E-bay pics. Buick is having "unveilings" all over the country. Call your Buick dealer and see if you can get a pass for one. If nothing else the free food and cocktails are good.

I'm growing tired of the same (or almost the same) corporate radio/HVAC controls in every single vehicle made by GM, Ford and Chrysler. It's not just the fact they're the same buttons and knobs, there's also the same surround (which is a ton of plastic) and basic design to deal with, too. Insert radio controls here -------> Insert HVAC controls here -----------> I know it's to cut down on costs but it's really irritating, especially in Fords and Chryslers. At least GM has some differential between models and designs whereas the same design and controls in the 300 are the same as the new Dodge wagon/car/thing (having a brain fart).

If I ever buy one of these, I would have the seats upholstered in the same blue. I think that would really give it a more "blue" feel to it. I would also have the center armrest covered in blue leather. Perhaps the seats would look sharp in blue with shale piping and blue "Lucerne" insignias stiched into the top part of the seats. Kinda reminds me of my old Regal Somerset. Edited by BuickEight

If I ever buy one of these, I would have the seats upholstered in the same blue.  I think that would really give it a more "blue" feel to it.  I would also have the center armrest covered in blue leather.  Perhaps the seats would look sharp in blue with shale piping and blue "Lucerne" insignias stiched into the top part of the seats.  Kinda reminds me of my old Regal Somerset.

[post="45259"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like the idea of the shale seats with blue piping or vice versa as well as the insignias, but this in my opinion is a great start for Buick to show a little more style. It's not too bold, but I really feel more will come in a few years :)

the just need to replace the plastic ring around the hvac/radio controls with wood and it wood look WAYY better

[post="48978"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's a shame there is a ring there--too bad it couldn't all be smooth--one piece. Would look much classier that way imo.

It's a shame there is a ring there--too bad it couldn't all be smooth--one piece.  Would look much classier that way imo.

[post="48989"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Or piano black, like in the SKY. That center A/C vent could benefit from some aluminum, too.

LOVE the gauges though :) Still wish they were LED lit <_<

It's a shame there is a ring there--too bad it couldn't all be smooth--one piece.  Would look much classier that way imo.

[post="48989"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. It's a shame it can't all be nicely intergrated. All of GM's vehicles look like they just stuck the HVAC/Radio controls in a hole in the dash.

Agreed.  It's a shame it can't all be nicely intergrated.  All of GM's vehicles look like they just stuck the HVAC/Radio controls in a hole in the dash.

[post="49107"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, isn't that what they actually did?

The white one looks a lot better than the other one, but I'm a sucker for anything that is pearl white. Inside, I especially like the dashboard and instrument panel. I don't know that it's a $40K car though. The more I see it, the more I like the Lucerne. However, I am worried about how the car will sell though. The LeSabre was the best-selling full-size car. I don't see this selling in the same volumes because of the higher price. I know there are people who hate seeing parallels between Buick and Oldsmobile, but it almost feels like when the 98, 88, and Aurora got combined into a single expensive car.

bobo, interesting observation about this seeming like a lot of Olds combined.....to me it is what Oldsmobile would have built....it's more Olds then Buick.

Even the lines on this car resemble the Aurora, the overall stance is a lot like the second gen Aurora too, only this is more aggressive thanks to a nicely tailored C-pillar.

I understand the sentiment that the design of the Lucerne seems more Oldsmobile than Buick. Aside from the ventiports and the Velite-influenced grille on the outside and the instrument panel on the inside, there is nothing about this car that says Buick at all. It is a very clean design, which is what Oldsmobile had towards the end. That's also probably why I like the design. With this car, Buick seems to be abandoning the bread-and-butter full-size family sedan, unless they start discounting this car like they did the LeSabre. However, that would hurt the image of the car and dissuade higher-end people from buying the high-bucks version.

For some reason, I think many loyalists will still be very attracted to this car for the simple reason that you can get a V8 with bench seats. Their Roadmasters are at least a decade old by now.

However, I am worried about how the car will sell though.  The LeSabre was the best-selling full-size car.  I don't see this selling in the same volumes because of the higher price.  I know there are people who hate seeing parallels between Buick and Oldsmobile, but it almost feels like when the 98, 88, and Aurora got combined into a single expensive car.

[post="49455"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The transition from LeSabre to Lucerne isn't any where near as difficult as it was from the 88 & 98 to the Aurora. For one, the Aurora was mid-sized while the other two were full size. The other major difference was a dramatic change in prices. There is no difference between the Lucerne CX & CXL MSRPs and the LeSabre Custom and LeSabre Limited. The Aurora's MSRP was priced higher than the 98's & 88's MSRP... much higher.

Yes, LeSabres sale with a discount but it still carries a VERY high loyalty rating. The Lucerne offers the same qualities of a LeSabre (full size with bench seats, along with more standard features) unlike the Aurora/88-98 comparison.

Also, LeSabre owner won't choke when seeing the Lucerne CX at $27k or a Lucerne CXL at $31k because the MSRPs are familiar and within the same range as their current LeSabre's Custom/Limited MSRP. That wasn't the case when the owner of a $28k 98 walked in and saw the $35k mid-sized Aurora. Price, look, & features were all foreign to the traditional 88-98 owner.

I'm sure GM will offer $1k-$2k incentives within the next few months which should be enough to keep all the current LeSabre owners happy.

I'm actually expecting the Lucerne to beat the LeSabre's 2005 annual sales in 2006 providing GM manages to quickly increase Lucerne inventories at the dealerships. The Lucerne still fills the LeSabre's position in qualities and in MSRP price. We'll have to wait and see though.

I saw my first couple of real-life Lucernes this weekend, in several models and colors. The car is gorgeous. It even make me start thinking how big a hit I'd take if I traded my 300C for a black CXS. The best looking large sedan on the road today, bar none. My only gripe is that the CXL model looks unfinished without foglights - the front fascia screams that the owner bought the "downmarket" version.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room