Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Real-World Lucerne CXL pictures - Blue/Shale

pow

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-CXL-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

The door panels look great, better than the DTS's, but the dash... it's just lacking something. The HVAC/stereo controls look particularly downmarket. And outside, from the side, it looks like a flattened asymmetrical bell. Still, nice to see progress. Most of the materials look fine. And the anthracite wheels look great, though they don't fit the car's body. Unlike the Lucerne, the DTS doesn't look like it's floating, even with the 17" wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-CXL-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

The door panels look great, better than the DTS's, but the dash... it's just lacking something. The HVAC/stereo controls look particularly downmarket. And outside, from the side, it looks like a flattened asymmetrical bell. Still, nice to see progress. Most of the materials look fine. And the anthracite wheels look great, though they don't fit the car's body. Unlike the Lucerne, the DTS doesn't look like it's floating, even with the 17" wheels.

[post="44794"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're evaluating the car based upon an ebay listing? It looks much better in person than the deceptive snaps that the dealer's internet manager took. I agree that these dull perpetually dirty looking wheels are the pits. Better to reserve final judgment when you do see on in person.

I think the interior looks cheap because the black steering wheel looks totally out of place. I saw my first Lucerne today, but I only saw it for about 10 seconds before it turned. It was a Sharkskin CXS and looked REALLY good. Much better than I had anticipated. I would actually consider buying one if I was in the market for/wanted a big car. I can't say I would really consider buying a Buick over another comparable GM vehicle other than the Lucerne.

I think the interior looks cheap because the black steering wheel looks totally out of place.

[post="45241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The steering wheel isn't black, Northstar. It's the same BLUE color as the rest of the Tuxedo Blue two-tone trim interior. Even the interior carpet is the same blue color. It looks great to me.

Oh, it looked black to me. Maybe my monitor is crappy. Maybe it will look better in person, but I honestly couldn't tell that that was blue until you pointed it out. I also didn't understand why empowah said it was Blue/Shale, but now I do. I think I should get my eyes checked :lol:

There are some wierd distortions going on in those E-bay pics. Buick is having "unveilings" all over the country. Call your Buick dealer and see if you can get a pass for one. If nothing else the free food and cocktails are good.

I'm growing tired of the same (or almost the same) corporate radio/HVAC controls in every single vehicle made by GM, Ford and Chrysler. It's not just the fact they're the same buttons and knobs, there's also the same surround (which is a ton of plastic) and basic design to deal with, too. Insert radio controls here -------> Insert HVAC controls here -----------> I know it's to cut down on costs but it's really irritating, especially in Fords and Chryslers. At least GM has some differential between models and designs whereas the same design and controls in the 300 are the same as the new Dodge wagon/car/thing (having a brain fart).

If I ever buy one of these, I would have the seats upholstered in the same blue. I think that would really give it a more "blue" feel to it. I would also have the center armrest covered in blue leather. Perhaps the seats would look sharp in blue with shale piping and blue "Lucerne" insignias stiched into the top part of the seats. Kinda reminds me of my old Regal Somerset. Edited by BuickEight

If I ever buy one of these, I would have the seats upholstered in the same blue.  I think that would really give it a more "blue" feel to it.  I would also have the center armrest covered in blue leather.  Perhaps the seats would look sharp in blue with shale piping and blue "Lucerne" insignias stiched into the top part of the seats.  Kinda reminds me of my old Regal Somerset.

[post="45259"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like the idea of the shale seats with blue piping or vice versa as well as the insignias, but this in my opinion is a great start for Buick to show a little more style. It's not too bold, but I really feel more will come in a few years :)

the just need to replace the plastic ring around the hvac/radio controls with wood and it wood look WAYY better

[post="48978"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's a shame there is a ring there--too bad it couldn't all be smooth--one piece. Would look much classier that way imo.

It's a shame there is a ring there--too bad it couldn't all be smooth--one piece.  Would look much classier that way imo.

[post="48989"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Or piano black, like in the SKY. That center A/C vent could benefit from some aluminum, too.

It's a shame there is a ring there--too bad it couldn't all be smooth--one piece.  Would look much classier that way imo.

[post="48989"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. It's a shame it can't all be nicely intergrated. All of GM's vehicles look like they just stuck the HVAC/Radio controls in a hole in the dash.

Agreed.  It's a shame it can't all be nicely intergrated.  All of GM's vehicles look like they just stuck the HVAC/Radio controls in a hole in the dash.

[post="49107"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, isn't that what they actually did?

The white one looks a lot better than the other one, but I'm a sucker for anything that is pearl white. Inside, I especially like the dashboard and instrument panel. I don't know that it's a $40K car though. The more I see it, the more I like the Lucerne. However, I am worried about how the car will sell though. The LeSabre was the best-selling full-size car. I don't see this selling in the same volumes because of the higher price. I know there are people who hate seeing parallels between Buick and Oldsmobile, but it almost feels like when the 98, 88, and Aurora got combined into a single expensive car.

I understand the sentiment that the design of the Lucerne seems more Oldsmobile than Buick. Aside from the ventiports and the Velite-influenced grille on the outside and the instrument panel on the inside, there is nothing about this car that says Buick at all. It is a very clean design, which is what Oldsmobile had towards the end. That's also probably why I like the design. With this car, Buick seems to be abandoning the bread-and-butter full-size family sedan, unless they start discounting this car like they did the LeSabre. However, that would hurt the image of the car and dissuade higher-end people from buying the high-bucks version.

However, I am worried about how the car will sell though.  The LeSabre was the best-selling full-size car.  I don't see this selling in the same volumes because of the higher price.  I know there are people who hate seeing parallels between Buick and Oldsmobile, but it almost feels like when the 98, 88, and Aurora got combined into a single expensive car.

[post="49455"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The transition from LeSabre to Lucerne isn't any where near as difficult as it was from the 88 & 98 to the Aurora. For one, the Aurora was mid-sized while the other two were full size. The other major difference was a dramatic change in prices. There is no difference between the Lucerne CX & CXL MSRPs and the LeSabre Custom and LeSabre Limited. The Aurora's MSRP was priced higher than the 98's & 88's MSRP... much higher.

Yes, LeSabres sale with a discount but it still carries a VERY high loyalty rating. The Lucerne offers the same qualities of a LeSabre (full size with bench seats, along with more standard features) unlike the Aurora/88-98 comparison.

Also, LeSabre owner won't choke when seeing the Lucerne CX at $27k or a Lucerne CXL at $31k because the MSRPs are familiar and within the same range as their current LeSabre's Custom/Limited MSRP. That wasn't the case when the owner of a $28k 98 walked in and saw the $35k mid-sized Aurora. Price, look, & features were all foreign to the traditional 88-98 owner.

I'm sure GM will offer $1k-$2k incentives within the next few months which should be enough to keep all the current LeSabre owners happy.

I'm actually expecting the Lucerne to beat the LeSabre's 2005 annual sales in 2006 providing GM manages to quickly increase Lucerne inventories at the dealerships. The Lucerne still fills the LeSabre's position in qualities and in MSRP price. We'll have to wait and see though.

I saw my first couple of real-life Lucernes this weekend, in several models and colors. The car is gorgeous. It even make me start thinking how big a hit I'd take if I traded my 300C for a black CXS. The best looking large sedan on the road today, bar none. My only gripe is that the CXL model looks unfinished without foglights - the front fascia screams that the owner bought the "downmarket" version.

Actually, LeSabre was the best-selling full-size car-before the Impala overtook it in sales two or so years ago-I love White Diamond and Crimson Red (as well as some other colors-the Cashmere Gold looked nice), but I saw the CX cloth interior-the upholstery looked like it was about to rip apart! Sleeker looking car than I originally thought, but I'm still not crazy about it.

Actually, LeSabre was the best-selling full-size car-before the Impala overtook it in sales two or so years ago-I love White Diamond and Crimson Red (as well as some other colors-the Cashmere Gold looked nice), but I saw the CX cloth interior-the upholstery looked like it was about to rip apart! Sleeker looking car than I originally thought, but I'm still not crazy about it.

[post="49546"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Whoever decided that the Impala is a "full sized car" is an idiot. I know cars are getting smaller but come on- the Impala sucks in size. The Impala was a good 5 grand cheaper than the LeSabre- of course it's going to sell more, but come on- it's obviously a midsize car.

Whoever decided that the Impala is a "full sized car" is an idiot. I know cars are getting smaller but come on- the Impala sucks in size. The Impala was a good 5 grand cheaper than the LeSabre- of course it's going to sell more, but come on- it's obviously a midsize car.

[post="49601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 00-05 Impala had a large enough interior for the EPA to consider it to be "full size", despite overall dimensions. I don't know if this holds over to the 2006 model year, though.

The Infiniti M35/45 and Hyundai Sonata are also considered large cars. The new Impala is still classified as large. A lot of LeSabres sold in the $20K to $22K range. The new car is much better and has a longer warranty, so it won't sell for those bargain basement prices. The Bonneville is also gone, so the Lucerne will also need to plug that hole in Pontiac's lineup for the PBG dealership.

The Infiniti M35/45 and Hyundai Sonata are also considered large cars.  The new Impala is still classified as large.

A lot of LeSabres sold in the $20K to $22K range.  The new car is much better and has a longer warranty, so it won't sell for those bargain basement prices.  The Bonneville is also gone, so the Lucerne will also need to plug that hole in Pontiac's lineup for the PBG dealership.

[post="49860"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Lucerne is bigger than the LeSabre was... and the LaCrosse is bigger than the Century/Regal was... not by much, but both are larger. Now, it gives people a tiny bit of flexibility--they can trade up to a bigger car, the Lucerne, or down to a smaller car, the LaCrosse. But the size shouldn't be an ENORMOUS difference.

What I'd like to see is just a better use of the size of the cars--the LaCrosse should have more room inside it than it does, clearly. Cars that are 8 or even more inches shorter have equal or slightly more room in various areas of the car.

Now, slightly off topic: When I first saw images of the LaCrosse taillamps, I noticed one large circle (the brake light) and two smaller circles. When seeing the car at night, the only portion of the light I saw illuminated was the large circle. Today, driving to work, it was cloudy yet no one around had their lights on as I checked because those two little circles looked illuminated?! Anyone know what's going on? I mean, the one I saw today was a CXS with the Chrome Appearance Option... and the one I saw months ago was a base CX... but I doubt there'd be a difference in the illumination. Are those two circles lit normally?

nope, everytime I see an allure the 3 circles are illuminated..

[post="49875"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is just so weird--so is it possible that both little circles on each side were just burnt out on a new car?! Weird.

Well, can't say that I'm not happy--it adds just a tiny bit more to the style of the car--I was going to say the one large circle was just boring and a copy of all the Chevy's out there.

Test drove a Lucerne CXL over the weekend.  Very nice.  All three Lucernes the dealership had were out on test drives and we had to wait 20 min for our turn.  Quite the looker.

[post="49914"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Where? The dealer I went to didn't have any Lucernes.

I could see how this car could be an Oldsmobile. I am stating this based on what Bobo said. It would have been one of those "what if" scenarios. You could turn this car into an Oldsmobile Ninety Eight very easily. The taillamps and grille and headlights would have to change. The instrumentation panel would have to change. Other than that and removing the venti-ports and putting the last Bravada front end design on this car and changing the taillamps to some "Oldsmobile" familiar ones, this car is set.

Posted Image

I think the trunk should be bigger and the seat controls should be placed on the doors.

I noticed this:

Posted Image

When did this car start using a 4.0 Liter V8? The only 4.0 liter V8 I remember is the Aurora V8.

Posted Image

I thought the Northstar V8 was 4.6 Liters...

They could put digital gauges in this car too if they wanted to.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They should have put wood trim around the radio and climate controls. They also should have used less of that dark plastic here.

The styling on this car grows on you. I still would not buy it because it has things that "I would prefer" that are missing.

From this angle :

Posted Image

and this angle

Posted Image

It somewhat looks like this car with a modern update:

Posted Image

Posted Image

**** Not time yet........I due season I will return.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

You mean return in large amounts, right Ninety-Eight? Yeah if the Lucerne looks like a 1985-90 Ninety-Eight update, that's not a good thing-that was their lowest period, IMO.

The Lucerne is proof that except for a small handful of cars (Corvette and...?), GM does not know how to make a class leading vehicle anymore. It's so damn average in every way. Exterior styling is average and derivative. The interior looks average for the class it's competing in. The engines are at best average. The transmission is below average. This product is better than the previous model, but big deal, anything would have been. The reuse of the old tired G body platform tells me nothing about this new car will make it magically better in terms of handling. Tell me what I'm supposed to be excited about here? The long steady decline of GM will continue as long as GM keeps pushing out cars like this and the new Impala. Mark

ouch, that stings.....but well said, exactly how I could have put it. The Lucerne is a nice car and I want so much for it to be successful, but it's only "good for a GM", nothing truly groundbreaking. It does have good understated style on the outside, but it will not be enough to convince non Buick fans, I fear

The Lucerne is proof that except for a small handful of cars (Corvette and...?), GM does not know how to make a class leading vehicle anymore.  It's so damn average in every way.  Exterior styling is average and derivative.  The interior looks average for the class it's competing in.  The engines are at best average.  The transmission is below average.

This product is better than the previous model, but big deal, anything would have been.  The reuse of the old tired G body platform tells me nothing about this new car will make it magically better in terms of handling.

Tell me what I'm supposed to be excited about here? 

The long steady decline of GM will continue as long as GM keeps pushing out cars like this and the new Impala.

Mark

[post="50106"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Get back to us once you've driven it. It is a very impressive vehicle, and upon examining it first hand I can see why the reviews have been as glowing as they are to it. If you can bring yourself to have an open mind, you might see it too.

The Lucerne is proof that except for a small handful of cars (Corvette and...?), GM does not know how to make a class leading vehicle anymore.  It's so damn average in every way.  Exterior styling is average and derivative.  The interior looks average for the class it's competing in.  The engines are at best average.  The transmission is below average.

This product is better than the previous model, but big deal, anything would have been.  The reuse of the old tired G body platform tells me nothing about this new car will make it magically better in terms of handling.

Tell me what I'm supposed to be excited about here? 

The long steady decline of GM will continue as long as GM keeps pushing out cars like this and the new Impala.

Mark

[post="50106"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

suddenly it feels like im at "the other forum" reading that post :rolleyes:

suddenly it feels like im at "the other forum" reading that post  :rolleyes:

[post="50184"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I understand what you mean zoom...

But I agree with him on a few aspects... the style is not class-leading. But guess what? It was done intentionally. The engines are not "at best, average". The Northstar is a great engine... the 3800 however, is a joke in this vehicle. Then again, I understand why it was done.

I love the Lucerne, but then again, I tend to like more conservative, upscale sedans. I'm not buying a car for exceptional handling.. I buy a car for a comfortable, quiet ride. This car will satisfy my needs 100%. If I want a little tech in my car, can get it here. If I want silence... got it. If I want a smooth ride, I know it'll be pillow soft. And for those days when I feel like bursting an eardrum, I'll just pump up the H/K stereo.

Not to mention cooled seats--those have gotta be good for hemroids! LOL :lol:

the 3800 however, is a joke in this vehicle.

[post="50221"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Have you driven it?

I have, and it is fine. There is no sluggish performance. It is NOT inadequate at all.

Again, don't talk badly about this car until you have experienced it in person because I will then laugh at you. Unless you have first-hand experience with it, you have no place to point out its flaws.

I do not understand what is wrong with the best engine ever made! And I literally believe that. The 3.8 liter V6 just is the most venerable, terrific engine ever created. It just doesn't break. So far we've owned 3 vehicles with it that it went over 200,000 miles (one almost 300k, that one was finally junked, the other 2 are still going), I have one in my current 2000 Regal, my dad has a 2000 LeSabre and my mom has one in her 2005 LaCrosse, I had a 3.1 in one car and the engine blew twice, we have never had one bit of engine work done on all 50 (exaggeration) of our 3.8s, the joke is on the people who don't see that quality. For what it is used for it is an uppity engine, even on the LeSabre... it has more reliability than any other engine currently made. Though it may be outdated it is not a poor choice by any means. It is not poor on gas mileage, emissions, or power for what it does. It's just become a habit to pick on the 3.8 because of its age. It's lasted this long for a reason. It's not a shameful thing. Edited by Cananopie

I disagree. The Lucerne is very competitive and classy. The interior styling may not look great, mainly because of the now-tiring GM corporate center stack design, but the materials are there. The Lucerne is definately competitive in its class and the early reviews are proof of that.

People are complaining that the Lucurne won't be #1 large car anymore. but Buick isn't a high volume brand. Also, they need to sell more profitable units instead of the seep discounted money losers. Having a new car to promate, rather then an old one with $6000 off, is a better long term strategy. Also, to the Car and Driver reader type complaining becasue the car isn't a 100% new platform. No, the Asians do not have "all new" each generation. And anyone who isn't biased would know this.