I am no longer a GM fan

It's over.

I can't support such a company any longer.

Because of that, I cannot remain a part of the staff of C&G.

I value the friends I have made here, and I don't intend to disappear completely, but this site has always been about the future of GM - and I no longer believe it has one.

So, as of tomorrow, I hope to be just a regular member here. I will stop by now and then, read a bit, post about old cars, and be on my way again.

To do otherwise would be dishonest.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all hate what is happening but if we could survive the plastic cladding era, the bloated SUV decade and Hummer... we can definitely survive this.

I'm not about to give up on American industry or America for that matter.

You shouldn't either.

i am pretty close to ditching GM. the CTS wagon and camaro might be the only cars i really like a bunch now. they cut everything else i liked.

I'm down to teh DTS, Lucerne, Impala and LaX CXL... they'll all be toast soon.

We all hate what is happening but if we could survive the plastic cladding era, the bloated SUV decade and Hummer... we can definitely survive this.

You shouldn't either.

This.

You shouldn't either.

I didn't, they gave up on themselves.

It's over.

We lost.

You shouldn't either.

Loyalty is a 2 way street.

I would also like to point out that while loosing Pontiac sucks, and it has been painful for GM fans to watch, it's not like you're alone. Chrysler fans have had to watch the company nearly go under in the 80's, only to be saved thanks to government loans and the K platform, then when things were looking up in the late 90's Daimler took the company over under the guise "merger of equals". Sure, it seemed good at first wit the LX cars and the Pacifica, but we've had to watch the company slowly go downhill into mediocrity for several years now. Let's not forget the storied Plymouth brand was killed off right before it was to get the PT Cruiser, which was a huge hit for years. Then what was left of Chrysler was thrown away to whoever wanted the leftovers, to be bought by a private equity firm. Since then we've had to endure countless rumors of the company being chopped up and sold off, merged, and so on.

Then of course the NY Times decided to write a story claiming Chrysler could go bankrupt this week. This stuff is just the tip of the iceberg, and it won't end any time soon.

Yet despite all of this, myself and many others remain fans of the company and continue to support it, and as long as it exists we will probably continue to, through good times and bad.

Giving up just isn't something I'm good at, and if we give up on them, who else will be left to care?

Camino, I think you're forgetting something, there is a possibility that Opel, Holden and Daewoo might all be given their freedom in the coming months. If so, there is a good chance they would merge. Then Holden and Opel could be sold in North America ...

Would that not satisfy you?

I'm confused. Is the Cruze not part of GMDAT?

I would also like to point out that while loosing Pontiac sucks, and it has been painful for GM fans to watch, it's not like you're alone. Chrysler fans have had to watch the company nearly go under in the 80's, only to be saved thanks to government loans and the K platform, then when things were looking up in the late 90's Daimler took the company over under the guise "merger of equals". Sure, it seemed good at first wit the LX cars and the Pacifica, but we've had to watch the company slowly go downhill into mediocrity for several years now. Let's not forget the storied Plymouth brand was killed off right before it was to get the PT Cruiser, which was a huge hit for years. Then what was left of Chrysler was thrown away to whoever wanted the leftovers, to be bought by a private equity firm. Since then we've had to endure countless rumors of the company being chopped up and sold off, merged, and so on.

Then of course the NY Times decided to write a story claiming Chrysler could go bankrupt this week. This stuff is just the tip of the iceberg, and it won't end any time soon.

Yet despite all of this, myself and many others remain fans of the company and continue to support it, and as long as it exists we will probably continue to, through good times and bad.

Giving up just isn't something I'm good at, and if we give up on them, who else will be left to care?

Gotta go with DF here...he is making good points... :yes:

Camino, I think you're forgetting something, there is a possibility that Opel, Holden and Daewoo might all be given their freedom in the coming months. If so, there is a good chance they would merge. Then Holden and Opel could be sold in North America ...

Maybe.

But it won't be GM, so my position stands.

Have one, don't want the other.

And where would I be if I would only buy Oldsmobiles? You don't see me stomping off the site because Olds is gone. I've been a member here since before the Olds announcement.... and look.. I'm an admin now.

And where would I be if I would only buy Oldsmobiles? You don't see me stomping off the site because Olds is gone. I've been a member here since before the Olds announcement.... and look.. I'm an admin now.

And I'm glad you are - there just isn't anything left for me now.

If GM builds something that works for me in the future, I'll give it a fair shake.

But I'm done cheering for the company itself now.

That's like saying you're not going to be friends with your old buddy who you used to go running with because he got into a massive car accident and has to lose his leg or die from gangrene.

How so? I only cared about the rest of GM, because of Pontiac. Lets change your statement a little bit.

That's like saying you're not going to be friends with your old buddy's parents after they killed your buddy, because he was eating into their finances, which took away from their drug money. Would you still care about them?

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Camino, you need to go on an island to meditate and detach. Oldsmoboi is right, you need to let the thought sink in. Think of it this way just because your favorite uncle passed away you do not have to abandon the family. The life should move on. I hate to see Pontiac go. But at least it is not euthanized as Olds was.

My only concern is the dimwits in GM will let go the volume and EXCITEMENT!!!!!! rather than compensating in other brands, otherwise good luck to loyal customers and market share along with the profitability which Fritz talked about. Yeah they are doing bariatric surgery of the excess fat, but care must be taken that important organs do not get removed.

As much as many people would like Opel to go, I am still on the fence regarding its or Saab's or Saturn's departure.

Camino, you need to go on an island to meditate and detach. Oldsmoboi is right, you need to let the thought sink in. Think of it this way just because your favorite uncle passed away you do not have to abandon the family. The life should move on. I hate to see Pontiac go. But at least it is not euthanized as Olds was.

While i am intensely disappointed with the course of action that GM decided to take. I still defend GM and Ford (and sorta Chrysler) when i can.

The only cars that GM will be producing that i am interested in is the Camaro and the Caddies, however that won't stop me from talking up the appliance models to would-be Toyota buyers.

Although i admit, it is a very hard sale to convince people to buy GM when they are receiving government aid + are facing bankruptcy. Ford is a far easier sell, and i admit that i am also beginning to drift towards being a Ford fan.

Also, don't forget that just because Pontiac won't be around now, that does not mean it cannot come back later.

No reason Pontiac cannot be the sporty versions of Chevys (and not badge engineered, im talking tuned suspensions, bigger engines, the works)... kinda like how the GTO was created.

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

You shouldn't either.

tell that to all the folks who continue to flock to the pleasantly average and mediocre asian cars.

I agree with most of that, but I think he needs to just cut the ties with GM, not continue to support GM. We have supported GM for so long, through so many decisions we didn't agree with, but this is finally the straw that broke the camels back.

Camino, like myself, will feel much better once we move on to a company other than GM, that we feel will not let us down.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

tell us what you know.......

I agree with most of that, but I think he needs to just cut the ties with GM, not continue to support GM. We have supported GM for so long, through so many decisions we didn't agree with, but this is finally the straw that broke the camels back.

Camino, like myself, will feel much better once we move on to a company other than GM, that we feel will not let us down.

There is always BMW. :P

There is always BMW. :P

Exactly. My brands of choice will now be BMW and Porsche. I know they will stay true to what I value in a car.

Hogwash, they have both built a number of cheap garbage auto's and still charge outlandish prices for lousy small auto's that only fit a portion of Americans.

A real American will stay with their American companies through thick and thin. If you are not happy with the direction of GM then go with Ford or Chrysler, but not a German nut can car company.

Hogwash, they have both built a number of cheap garbage auto's and still charge outlandish prices for lousy small auto's that only fit a portion of Americans.

A real American will stay with their American companies through thick and thin. If you are not happy with the direction of GM then go with Ford or Chrysler, but not a German nut can car company.

BMW and Porsche have stayed true to their heritage. They are not trying to be like Toyota. I don't trust Chryslers reliability, and I don't like Fords styling. If I am ever in the market for a pickup though, it will be a Ford. I am going to buy what I like, simple as that.

Chrysler's reliability has been steadily improving, just an FYI.

Did they ever get the wheel bearing problems fixed on the Rams?

Edited by Daryl Z71

Chrysler's reliability has been steadily improving, just an FYI.

If they get to the point I'm comfortable with, I will consider them. But I'm not convinced yet. My brother's 06 Charger had lifter problems with under 20,000 miles. I haven't crossed them off my list like I have with GM though, but other companies better fit what I like at this time.

I would have to look, but hey, they aren't catching fire or rotting away.

True, but the wheel bearing problem has been going on way before those things lol :smilewide: Anywho My two friends have Ram 2500's and one had his wheel fly off and the other had his bearings replaced a couple times so far. I just didn't know if they got it fixed yet or not? Needless to say GM's truck problems are that damn steering shaft from 99-07 Classic.

Edited by Daryl Z71

It's over.

I can't support such a company any longer.

Because of that, I cannot remain a part of the staff of C&G.

I value the friends I have made here, and I don't intend to disappear completely, but this site has always been about the future of GM - and I no longer believe it has one.

So, as of tomorrow, I hope to be just a regular member here. I will stop by now and then, read a bit, post about old cars, and be on my way again.

To do otherwise would be dishonest.

Camino I am deeply sorry to hear this. I have always enjoyed you and your comments. Best of luck in the future and on your projects, please try to stay active when you can.

Edited by gm4life