BuddyP

R.I.P GM as we know it

115 posts in this topic

They made it 100 years before death by gov't. Thought we could share some of the past in this post.....

Woodward08050.jpg

Woodward08046.jpg

Woodward08025.jpg

Woodward08024.jpg

Woodward08022.jpg

Woodward08021.jpg

Woodward08015.jpg

Woodward08014.jpg

Woodward08005.jpg

ZR1chrome1.jpg

I, for one, will never buy a car from Government Motors. Not even a Corvette. I'll be looking at Porsche's, BMW's, and Audi's. Perhaps a 370Z or the like as well. Mustang's too common.

I, for one, will never buy a car from Government Motors. Not even a Corvette. I'll be looking at Porsche's, BMW's, and Audi's. Perhaps a 370Z or the like as well. Mustang's too common.

Well I am hoping something good comes from this or that next president tells GM either do buisness like you should in a free market or die.

Whooa, aren't we jumping the gun here a lil' bit?

Well I am hoping something good comes from this or that next president tells GM either do buisness like you should in a free market or die.

Wow, it's amazing that capital intensive businesses can't seem to operate without government intervention (airlines, now automakers)...

How is this the governments fault? It's GMs fault for even approaching the government for a loan in the first place! The government merely built upon it and made it worse.

Its analogous to someone giving you a broken toy which you decide to try and "fix" even though you have no clue what the !@#$ your doing and end up breaking it more... of course it was broken the entire time.

We're not in a free market and haven't been in one for over 100 years. If the government had said that 30 years ago, there'd be no Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, or Jeep.

All of you anti-government people really need to put down your Reagen tribute books (because he's the one who made it cool to vilify government) and get over yourselves. Government is NOT the root of all evil. It is not the end of GM. We're not going to be all driving Eco-Trabants.

I hope you like your Audi's and Porches built by a company PARTIALLY OWNED BY THE GERMAN STATE OF LOWER SAXONY!

France owns about 15% of Renault who owns 49% of Nissan.

You people need a hard slap in the face and calm the f@#k down.

Edit: This is one of those times I wish I wasn't a mod and we didn't have politics rules so I could really kick the crap out of you people on here. This was a nice, yet unnecessary, tribute thread, ruined by idiot politics.

Whatever you think of government intervention, the fact remains that, had it not interfered when it did, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Tata, Chery, Geely, etc. would all be feasting on GM's remains as of right now. Everyone needs to calm down and let things shake out.

We're not in a free market and haven't been in one for over 100 years. If the government had said that 30 years ago, there'd be no Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, or Jeep.

All of you anti-government people really need to put down your Reagen tribute books (because he's the one who made it cool to vilify government) and get over yourselves. Government is NOT the root of all evil. It is not the end of GM. We're not going to be all driving Eco-Trabants.

I hope you like your Audi's and Porches built by a company PARTIALLY OWNED BY THE GERMAN STATE OF LOWER SAXONY!

France owns about 15% of Renault who owns 49% of Nissan.

You people need a hard slap in the face and calm the f@#k down.

Edit: This is one of those times I wish I wasn't a mod and we didn't have politics rules so I could really kick the crap out of you people on here. This was a nice, yet unnecessary, tribute thread, ruined by idiot politics.

Well put. Thank you.

+1. I have bought my last car from GM as well. Something about the government taking over the company just does not sit right with me. I'm saddened by it, but I understand.

For the next round, I will defect to Ford.

I agree. Lets see what GM looks like in a few years once these new fuel economy regs come into effect, while under the governments control. I doubt they will have anything left that I would buy.

That the government gets a free pass from some people for all they do wrong amazes me. They forced some healthy banks to take a bailout, but who gets the negative press? Not the government, but the healthy banks, for taking a bailout. The government is the invisible hand behind a lot of things that are happening, and will continue to be the invisible hand behind what happens with GM.

That the government gets all this attention from the tinfoil hat brigade for anything they ever do, amazes me.

Those same fuel economy regs will hit BMW, Audi and Nissan too. If Cadillac can no longer build a CTS, then the 3-series will have passed on also. The 370Z will be pushing up the daisies right next to the Camaro. The Tundra, F-150, and Silverado will together all rip down the curtain and join the choir invisible!

There were NO national banks that were healthy. NONE. About the only organizations that are (relatively) healthy are the credit unions.

If the government had done nothing, we'd be a GM historical site and nothing more.

If that next round were right now, ditto. I'd be looking at a new Mercury Milan* or the 2010 Ford Taurus, a notch up in price point.

*right, ocn, I too don't like it when you can configure a base engine (2.5) with some nicer interior trims (wrapped steering wheel, wood inserts) nor alloy wheels...that's nuts...

1980Electra2.jpg

1984GrandPrix.jpg

1981MonteCarlo.jpg

Awesome, Joseph.

Electra: I remember when the bigger 4.1 V6 with a 4-bbl was brought on to power the bigger cars in the early 80s. I believe you could opt up in the mid-size cars, like the Regal

Grand Prix: that dash, that dash

Monte Carlo: I hardly think the dude in the suit across the street from what looks like Central Park West could get these chicks if he drove around Manhattan in a Monte Carlo

If the government had done nothing, we'd be a GM historical site and nothing more.

GM would've been just fine in Chapt. 11. They would've purged their own system and ditched the Union instead of Pontiac! This is where the gov't intervention went wrong. Now that the economy is in the dumps and people aren't buying, let's put more regulations on cars and EPA to raise the cost of new cars even more.... BAAAA!

Sorry... I do feel better today though. But something better "change" for the better with this process in the next couple months.

Edited by BuddyP

+1. I have bought my last car from GM as well. Something about the government taking over the company just does not sit right with me. I'm saddened by it, but I understand.

We appear to have $h!ty ass logic flu rapidly spreading around Cheers and Gears.

How will GM EVER get better if you won't buy their product!?

If that next round were right now, ditto. I'd be looking at a new Mercury Milan* or the 2010 Ford Taurus, a notch up in price point.

*right, ocn, I too don't like it when you can configure a base engine (2.5) with some nicer interior trims (wrapped steering wheel, wood inserts) nor alloy wheels...that's nuts...

Yet another victim of the $h!ty ass logic flu.....

A huge majority of local national banks and community banks were and are still just fine. Nobody should've given anybody any bailout money. Let the system purge itself.

GM would've been just fine in Chapt. 11. They would've purged their own system and ditched the Union instead of Pontiac! This is where the gov't intervention went wrong.

The government didn't tell GM to ditch Pontiac. GM's own viability plan... wasn't. It projected losses out to 2014 at least!

ANY BANK...or any one with opposable thumbs and a pulse would have declined GM's loan application with that viability plan.

OBAMA DID NOT KILL PONTIAC!

GM would've been just fine in Chapt. 11. They would've purged their own system and ditched the Union instead of Pontiac! This is where the gov't intervention went wrong. Now that the economy is in the dumps and people aren't buying, let's put more regulations on cars and EPA to raise the cost of new cars even more.... BAAAA!

Sorry... I do feel better today though. But something better "change" for the better with this process in the next couple months.

And had they done that at the time, they'd have gone right into Chapter 7. When debts > assets as it is with GM, that's what happens in the real world.

Yet another victim of the $h!ty ass logic flu.....

No, Drew, not really. I've always shopped for a very specific type of car that GM served up...offering me numerous choices, actually. Of course I would buy from GM again.

However, at this juncture, I don't like their offerings. Their mid-size sport sedan offerings have withered into nothing. I've complained on the Buick thread about the new LaCrosse with its ridiculous and not-so original profile...and am in the minority. In the last gen model, the LaCrosse kicked ass on the Taurus. In this go-round, the tables have turned. That's what I'm talking about. And I'm not happy that I have to acknowledge that.

No, Drew, not really. I've always shopped for a very specific type of car that GM served up...offering me numerous choices, actually. Of course I would buy from GM again.

However, at this juncture, I don't like their offerings. Their mid-size sport sedan offerings have withered into nothing. I've complained on the Buick thread about the new LaCrosse with its ridiculous and not-so original profile...and am in the minority. In the last gen model, the LaCrosse kicked ass on the Taurus. In this go-round, the tables have turned. That's what I'm talking about. And I'm not happy that I have to acknowledge that.

Then I misunderstood you. I took you to mean that you wouldn't buy a GM car because of the loan or the government or something like that. That is the primary symptom of $h!ty ass logic flu.

I completely understand and support purchase decisions based on product.

Joe added some of the things he liked. Here's my favorite, as you all know (obtained from consumerguide auto.how stuff works).

Stunning!

OBAMA DID NOT KILL PONTIAC!

Nor did he help it. Trust me he said more cuts had to be made, not what had to be cut. So Pontiac went.

Oldsmoboi I think you are trying to remain positive which is good, having said that I am being realistic. We have a true disagreement about the role of government in our society, fine. I am upset with GM for asking government for money from Bush, he should have said no, fix it yourselfs. I am upset at Obama and his worthless auto-task force who KNOW NOTHING about cars thinking if they run it, they can fix it, uhhhh yeah right. It is this belief that government can fix things, I think they have fixed enough that past few years, yes even under Bush. I know we don't totally have a free market but what we are going towards now looks even less like one. I don't want GM to become Government Motors or worse yet Green Motors, and if you don't see this as a possible outcome fine, but many of us do. I want GM to be run the way it should be owned by investors not government, and building products consumers demand not government. I don't know why you think disagreeing or looking at government in a different way is a bad thing. I think alot of $h! is going to happen with regulation and will regulate ourselfs to death and send more jobs over-seas. Wait until we cap trade, oh yes we will be in for it. The auto industry will be killed by more things than just taking government money. I have spoke my mind, it is a disagreement about the role of government. I don't like any big government, republican or dem.

I hope the bond-holders don't cave and let the company become "Government Motors" and if you think were nuts of thinking it fine, but we see it as an option. After someone in my family gets a new Camaro, we might even move to Ford. This will depend upon what happens, if we get a president who tells GM get off the government dole and fix your own problems in four years I would love to see that. It can be a democrat or republican, and I would be happy.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor