If gm had to kill a another brand?

Oh... not this again...

If anyone brings up Pontiac, I will take a rope, climp a tree, tie it to it, tie it to my neck, jump, and secure my place in hell. There I will meet each and every person who did as they die. Then I will torture them while I laugh, and laugh, and laugh... Posted Image

Edited by blackviper8891

:angry: No GM brands cut! Do a better job with what they have! Don't squander any more of their legacy like they did with Oldsmobile!

<_< You wanna cut something, cut the pinhead executives who've let Buick and Pontiac be starved for proper ideas, products, positioning, and marketing.

Chevrolet.  All the brands out now are too established to get rid of, might as well be bold if you're gonna be stupid.

[post="3617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That would be brilliant. You're no longer handicapped by the bowtie and could easily move everything they make elsewhere in the GM stable. Chevy was the last of the original six anyway.

If it's REALLY the case that GM has to cut, sadly I have to agree, it's Buick. Although it's highly debatable that GM's lineup for upscale would be completely void. It's really not like someone shopping for a top-model Camry or Avalon would consider a Pontiac, and they're not at the point where they would get a base Cadillac. The brands right now will work, but GM must be extremely cautious in pricing and equipping the cars, e.g. if Buick is to stay then they should eliminate the base cars, making it completely upscale but under Caddy. GM is improving lately, just give it some more time.

Pontiac - butt ugly beek faced cars, running Buick and Oldsmobile and Chevy based engines. You know theres something wrong when I never really liked Pontiac because of the styling but now try hard to like the models and support them because I know they are in trouble. which brings us to the problem - - - - -saturin Crush saturin, they were built with great profits made by Buick and Oldsmobile during the 70's and 80's just so they could get in the way and screw everything up. Dont worry Im sure they will turn a profit some decade soon, now that they got Oldsmobiles market share - yaright, then kill Buick and they will get Buicks market share - yaright, then Kill Pontiac so they will get their market share - yaright ! Chevy next ?

Saturn. I realize that it is a young brand with no bad stigma, but if I were running GM and forced to cut one brand, it'd be the one that has no heritage. GM could make Buick and Pontiac really outstanding brands if it actually tries. Saturn doesn't know what it wants to be, doesn't know what it is. It doesn't sell very many cars and was originally created as a Japanese import fighter. I wouldn't shed much of a tear if GM cut Saturn.

We do not need to cut another brand! We need to bring back LaSalle, Oldsmobile & REO! :) But if a brand had to be cut here's the order I'd do it in: 1. Saturn 2. Saturn 3. Saturn 4. Saturn 5. Hummer, uh I mean Saturn

Chevrolet.  All the brands out now are too established to get rid of, might as well be bold if you're gonna be stupid.

That would be brilliant.  You're no longer handicapped by the bowtie and could easily move everything they make elsewhere in the GM stable.  Chevy was the last of the original six anyway.

[post="3618"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I say it's time for a lynichin' ;) j/k

Hummer. seriously, how many of them (other than H2's which are just glorified minivans) have you seen on the road? Isn't this what GMC is for? I think they should just keep them to the military. Edited by Turbojett

I like Saabs always have. I had a good friend that only ever drove Saabs including a Sonnett summer car. As I remember they were high milage cars too. I odnt know alot about them but they have never been offensive to look at unlike saturin. Caddy XLR - I never said nor have I heard said that saturin stole sales. Just funding that could have been better spent. Maybe better quality for the origionals, better design, better marketing I could go on and on. What is really strange now is saturin put out two show cars, the sky and the aura and everyone goes nuts. Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Chevy have put out dozens of show cars or concepts but big daddy never followed through on them, but now these saturins, we are going to follow through with. Typically that sky model would have been in the rest or some of the BOP camp not this little expensive thorn in the side "company". Then the aura mimicks a Aurora breeds A6 with RWD and the 3.6 standard and everyone is acting like saturin broke new ground and has so much potential. Theres been so much potential at Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac but we just get a teaser and never the real thing. So whats up with that ? Jeeeeezzzzze it just drives me nuts :blink:

Why kill Saab? As a brand, Saab’s gained an extremely loyal following, especially here in the northeast, and a premium image (not to mention a pretty sterling reputation). As far as its connection with GM goes, Saab enjoys an anonymity within GM shared only by Saturn: most don't know any connection exists. Moreover, Saab is becoming extremely popular overseas and we’ve heard rumors of all-wheel drive becoming a top priority in future models. It's current lineup, while still an impressive one in my opinion, can hardly be judged considering the effort GM's put into it. Who knows how well Saab would do if product-development similar to what Ford’s done with Volvo took place? Even so, Saab boasts some of the most accomplished and quality products in the GM stable. To start, the 9-3 line is nothing short of praiseworthy in several aspects. The 9-3 sedan, aside from being one of the safest cars you can buy, is the top-performing Epsilon model, has the best interior, and looks outstanding (one of my personal favorite cars style-wise). The upcoming Aero model boasts an all-aluminum, turbocharged 2.8 liter V-6 producing 250 horsepower and a 0-62 mph march of well-under 7 seconds (not to mention true dual-exhaust and a top speed of over 160 mph). Moreover, Saab’s ditched the base 175 horsepower model in favor of a 210 horsepower turbo 4. The 9-3 coupe will also gain the all-new engine used in the sedan’s Aero model. The upcoming SportCombi, which is undoubtedly one of the most attractive wagons to debut in years, also has the performance to match and will effectively compete with similar models from Audi for thousands of dollars less. Sure, the 9-2x and 9-7x are pretty blatant badge-jobs, but there’s more to it than that. Saab was in desperate need of product, and GM answered with what it could at the time. As un-Saab as the 9-2x may seem, it’s been praised by several automotive publications as an all-around great car and offers a more “premium” spin on the already accomplished WRX. Plus it offers all-wheel drive and the Saab name (which is a big deal to some, believe it or not) for a reasonable price. The 9-7x won’t be the end of Saab, either. It’s undoubtedly the best of the GMT-360s performance-wise, and looks great, even if a bit too similar to it’s platform-mates. Regardless, I’d venture to say that to the majority of the car-buying public, the 9-7x is as far from a Trailblazer as filet mignon and a Big Mac. Saab's "quirkiness" has made it one of the most unique brands in GM's lineup. Killing it would be a horrible mistake and destroy the unemployed potential that Saab possesses in doing so.

I like the direction buick, saturn, caddilac are going, pontiac needs new blood, or old blood, chevy is well chevy, baseline cars nothing spectacular but gmc is the higher quality chevy trucks, hummer is just plain profit heaven for em, i like the new vehicles, just not the exploitation of an icon saab has always been a lame duck the rest, i have no idea, subaru is popular with younguns around here but . . . actually realistically to my knowledge, the least productive brand has been pontiac lately, but buick is set to fail soon unless they change a lot, which theye are, olds is dead, sad, but saturn has been helping quite a bit for gm, they turn profits at low expense and they sell like hotcakes, chevy will stay, as will gmc, though gmc are just rebadged chevy trucks and vans, its gm cmon they wont drop their self titled brand, saab is maintainable as are many of its other assets, bottom line, no names will be dropped, they cannot afford to kill any if you want a nice topic do what the line up should be for all the brands, get it pinned, and let people run wild,

Well, I've said this before, but I'll say it agian. Saturn. But the future Saturns would still live on. How? As Chevys. Now I know you're thinking "but Saturns are too upscale to sell as Chevys. Currently, this is true, perhaps. But it seems to me that the mainstream car market is moving towards higher and higher quality products, and eventually Saturn will end up butting heads with Chevy as it currently does with Buick and Pontiac. So why not just let Chevy leapfrog the competition with killer products now, instead of playing catch-up later? Second, to me, these Opels just remind me of Chevys. The Sky especially, since it looks like a baby Vette, and they even have a chrome bar in place already. The rest of the design may not seem classic Chevy enough for some, but I personally would rather take a beautiful design with fewer heritage cues than a half-assed design that tries to imitate a few 60s cues (which is how I see most of Chevy's current lineup.) They could leave it to Daezuki to cover the low end. Or even a Daeturn or Satwoo, if you prefer, since Suzuki's never been a particularly popular name in the US. But where would this leave Buick, Pontiac, and Saab? Well, honestly, in the same location they are now. Three brands trying to fill a gap where most companies don't even have one. But perhaps if they were able to focus more, we could go without having any more classic nameplates join Olds in the Great Beyond.

Vauxhall, Opel, and Holden are basically the Chevy of the respective countries they sell in. All are bread-and-butter full-line brands. Even though they just introduced Chevy in Europe to undercut Opel/Vauxhall (with rebadged Daewoos), the facts remain.

i thought gm canada gave chevy the rebadaged deawoos

[post="4377"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They also just launched the Chevy name in Europe...all Daewoo, all the time.

The Chevy (Daewoo) Lacetti/Optra (our Suzuki Forenza) is also the Buick Excele in China. GM's getting major world mileage out of those cars.

i cant see a SKY being a Buick, I could see the Aura becoming a sedan placed under the Lax/Allure

[post="4475"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I could see the Solstice being a Buick though, and the Sky as a Pontiac. It might not fit in so well with current Buicks, but it does with my ideal Buick. It just has a jewel-like beauty to it that reminds me of the Velite.

Heritage = nothing when the cars suck, the only heritage they have is the badge on the front. I think two brands could go both Pontiac and Buick. No need for reshuffling of cars because neither brand has anything worth keeping or anything in the pipeline that looks promising. I guess they could keep the G6 Coupe and convertible, but I think they can come up with a better versions of the Aura. :CG_all:

I cant see the new Saturns coming as anything but Saturn, but thats because Saturn doesnt have an image to live up to other than customer service, which can be a good thing. I would kill Saab because they would take the most work to increase their sales. Saturn is easy, they just need good cars.

Buick and Pontiac would have stuff in the pipe if GM would let them and get saturin the hell out of the way. Buick has had more exciting show concepts and so has Pontiac, two friggin saturin show cars and wholy cow, boy oh boy what a car "company".

Bull Shit !

[post="4608"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why do you care so much? I think it would be good if Saturn actually turns a profit, since then GM would have more money to develop new cars or platforms, and some of those new cars might just be for Buick or Pontiac. If you hate Saturn so much, maybe you should just hate all of GM, they are all run by the same people.