Stars, Stripes and Spots

Roger...thanks for the pics of the Vista Wagons.

When I was in the 7th grade my Music teacher had a Vista wagon like the white one as a family car. He ended up running that thing in a demo derby when he was done with it!

Chris

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moltar/Cubical...IIRC isn't the 65 Fury the pace car of the Indy 500 that year...and isn't the pace car white on blue like that?

When I student taught about a million years ago (actually 1988) one of my students had a 65 Sport Fury like that.

I saw a white 58 Fury on a car carrier today...looked to be in just awesome shape...white W-gold...IIRC that was the only way you could get a fury that year.

Chris

Ya, I think the Fury was the IPC in '65 and that was the color scheme. I was going up a flyover ramp from one freeway to another and looked down for some reason and spotted it going the other direction on the freeway I had just exited, top down.

there was a guy here in town that had a red one like mine, cept his had a white interior and a saddle colored vinyl top. not a good combo in my mind. i saw these over the weekend downsize-8.jpgdownsize_1-1.jpgdownsize_2-1.jpg

Cletus-Was that Caddy headed North-I either saw it or it's twin sister today...and it was riding on the same spot on a car carrier.

Think it might have been the same car.

It was heading East on I-70 just East of Brice Road when I saw it.

I was heading back into Columbus to get some parts and pieces to fix something....and when I was running back out east with my parts...a blue 60 Cadillac 4 door hardtop passed me...also on top of a car carrier.

Wonder if someone out east is building a nice little Cadillac collection? If anyone out east see's either car at a car show...snap a few pics and share them, please!

And I agree Cletus, 68 and 69 were better years. The Six Pack car with the lift off hood at the Nazarene Church car show was a 69 IIRC.

Chris

That Caddy on the car hauler reminds me of a car I saw a couple months ago when I was back in Colorado...drove down to Colorado Springs from Denver on a rainy Friday...stopped for gas along I-25, and saw pulling out of the gas station a car hauler with a goregous black '57 Buick convertible at the top rear position. Had a couple FWD generics down below and a yellow '67 Chevelle in front of the Century on top.

Oh, and I went to the old Junkyard on blaine highway to see what they had left, someone said that they cleared out a bunch of old cars...and they had.

But I got deeper into the yard this time...

56 Olds 4 door post, looked like it was a factory pink and white car, not a faded red either from what I could tell.

Did olds ever offer Pink in the 50's?

69 Buick Riviera

69 Pontiac Custom S (yes, for real, if I go back I'm going to take pics)

66 Tempest, red..two door...

65 Galaxie 500 Convertible, light blue

68 Impala Convertible

63 Impala two door hardtop

What looked to be a 68 Chevelle, too badly destroyed to tell.

65 Coronet

A bunch of old GMC and Chevy trucks

Was going back for a better look at the Olds...when a very large buck with a very large rack decided that I was invading "his" space and that I needed to leave.

Wish I'd had a gun and a deer tag...and that it was deer season...

Also...58 Chevrolet two door

Plan on posting pics from the other yard soon, a friend of mine is trying to get them up and posted...I have about a hundred or so...

Chris

A bunch of old GMC and Chevy trucks

Would you happen to know if the GMCs were of a '55-'56 vintage??? If yes, and they have their original steering wheel in them (see pic:)

steeringwheel.jpg

I'd appreciate if you could find out how much they want for the steering wheel. I'm looking for one in good condition (preferably not cracked/needing repair <needing paint is okay>). Then let me know if you're capable fo taking it off and I'll pay you for the wheel, shipping, and your time & effort - if you would accept. Let me know - TIA!!

Cletus-Was that Caddy headed North-I either saw it or it's twin sister today...and it was riding on the same spot on a car carrier

Chris

possibly. the gas station it was at was on the north bound 85 ramp. i didnt see the tag or permits on the truck though. the possibility of another lone caddy fleetwood riding caboose on a bmw train is long odds.

Would you happen to know if the GMCs were of a '55-'56 vintage??? If yes, and they have their original steering wheel in them (see pic:)

steeringwheel.jpg

I'd appreciate if you could find out how much they want for the steering wheel. I'm looking for one in good condition (preferably not cracked/needing repair <needing paint is okay>). Then let me know if you're capable fo taking it off and I'll pay you for the wheel, shipping, and your time & effort - if you would accept. Let me know - TIA!!

I'll check.

Today, of all things...

Model A ford, 28-29 roadster...

Mach 1 Mustang, 1969, white, nice

Ford Torino, 1970 4 door, well preserved

Chris

Roger- if the wheel is cracked, I'd offer to repair it.

66- I don't see a true 'pink' for Olds for '56- they had Island Coral, but it was more of a brick-y tan color.

There was an outright Festival Red tho. WHo's to say it wasn't repainted at one point?

However, in '57 Olds offered 2 pink hues.

In the vintage MoPar vein, saw a '70 Dodge Polara 4-dr hardtop, very clean, green of course, rocketing by on a local street, all 4 windows down. :wink:

Edited by balthazar

I forgot to mention a triple green '72 Torino coupe, sounded healthy, looked great (well, as great as a Torino can look). :)

Actually the 72 Torino is a good looking car, before the uggly 5 MPH bumpers...

I remember being a kid and everyone wanted a Torino when I was in elementary school because Starsky and Hutch drove one...

Chris

Roger- if the wheel is cracked, I'd offer to repair it.

66- I don't see a true 'pink' for Olds for '56- they had Island Coral, but it was more of a brick-y tan color.

:wink:

Actually, I think it might have been Island Coral, as it was kind of a "peachy" pink.

Chris

Actually the 72 Torino is a good looking car, before the uggly 5 MPH bumpers...

I remember being a kid and everyone wanted a Torino when I was in elementary school because Starsky and Hutch drove one...

Chris

Heh-heh...I need to start collecting the S&H DVDs...was a big fan of S&H and The Rockford Files as a kid..enjoying watching the Rockford Files lately, lots of neat '70s cars in them.

I saw a '72 Torino this morning..the yellow Gran Torino Sport fastback is in my neighborhood and I see it occasionally...has some wear/faded paint, but the metal is straight and rust free, would make good resto material. There is also an orange '72 Montego GT fastback nearby that I see occasionally, that's a pretty rare car.

I had a neighbor when I was living in Florida with a dk green w/ lt green top '72 formal roof coupe.

Loved the green '72 in Clint's movie 'Gran Torino'.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I keep forgetting to post the stuff I see, so here is a triuvirat of recent spots.

2005/6 SSR 6.0/6spd. in that awesome Blue/green metallic color- beautiful.

2009 G8 GT in Pacific Slate Metallic

1955 Chevy Bel-Air in white and for sale just around the corner from me - I don't dare stop for a look

Three very worthy GM vehicles.

Starting to see Camaros more often...

Also spotting lots of Jeep Wranglers, probably because they've been on my mind since a rental I had and now I want one.

I wonder what a new Wrangler Rubicon would run like with an LS2... :scratchchin:

'64 Rambler American 4-dr sedan, mashed hard, head-on in the pass fender (hood & grille escaped damage). Tempted to ask...

I actually really like those old Ramblers. Family down the street from he had a 65 wagon that was red when I was growing up. Their house was always landscaped with lots fo flowers, they took great care of everything...including that car. It was always spotless.

60's Ramblers were one of the better car designs of the 60's IMHO. They even built Rambler ragtops IIRC.

Chris

Camino-SSR looks good in that color...

I didn't really like the SSR that much when it came out but it is growing on me.

I saw a Studebaker Pick up, one of the last ones with the front end that looked like it was off of a lark.

Chris

Camino-SSR looks good in that color...

I didn't really like the SSR that much when it came out but it is growing on me.

I saw a Studebaker Pick up, one of the last ones with the front end that looked like it was off of a lark.

Chris

Yup, that's may favorite color on the SSR - I just remebered the name: Aqua Blur.

Those pickups are cool, I see one every now and then.

A well known local collector, Bob McDorman, has the 8th SSR built, and it is purple.

He's also the guy that has that sweet 59 El Camino I was telling you about...and he also recently put up for auction the very first 1960 (IIRC) Corvette ever built, serial number one...

Chris

Okay, I'm a post whore but I'm also a car nut.

Went to a car show with my son Joel last night.

Pro touring 69 Camaro, Cortez silver, car just had the look.

58 Chevy Apache rat rod, also had the look.

70 Cougar XR7 Convertible, red, black top, white interior, pro touring, best car in the show. I just love these little kitties. This one had kind of an Eliminator vibe, even though they never built an Eliminator convertible.

65 Falcoln wagon, Primerd, lowered, polished Americans.

Another cool car...an unmolested, never touched 67 Chevy II drag car that looked like it was right out of 1974. 4 door, all original paint, bias ply's...this thing would drive balthazar crazy and it's a Chevy. It was just that original, untouched, and cool.

Silver 37 Chevy Street rod that was running a very healthy big block.

Chris

It is indeed, and that is another great collectible GM car that is sometimes overlooked.

For the longest time around here we had a blue on blue L79 (correct code? Not sure- the high Horse 327) 4 speed car that was all original, as well as a yellow 327 Powerglide car that was so clean and original it just hurt to look at it. Haven't seen either car at shows in a couple of years, wonder what happened to both.

Chris

Indeed. Hot Rod (or was it Car Craft?) built one up out of a nice looking stocker into a race car. I saw that exact car headed out to Muncie Dragway when I was a kid living in Indiana.

If I can find them, I have pics of an old 60's Nova like that with a straight axle front end that my daughter and I found sitting outside of someones house in southern Ohio.

I'll see if I can dig them up when my daughter comes back from summer camp in August.

I also remember the bodystyle right before that as a drag car. I've seen a few of them, and I remember building a model of one when I was a kid.

We also used to have a really sweet cranberry metallic 63 Nova Convertible running around the local car shows here. And I also remember a few people building the 66-67 cars into "Phantom" convertibles.

Chris

Wasn't it called Acadian?

Yes, Acadian was the Chevy II based Canadian brand..the equivalent to the Nova trim level was the Canso, I think. '62-70, I think.

The Chevelle-based Canadian special brand was Beaumont. '64-69, I think.

They were sold at Canadian Pontiac dealers but were considered separate brands and not Pontiacs. Or something like that.

Rob

pair of '57 Chevy 2-dr hardtops, project cars under partial tarps in the same driveway.

'61 Buick LeSabre 4-dr sedan, dark silver, mint, parked @ store.

'63 Bonneville convertible, white w/ white top, exc w/ lousy aftermarket rims, for sale.

'67 GTO convertible, mint, Mayfair Maize w/ white top, motoring down 287.

'67 GTO 2-dr hardtop, silver, mint, rolling on Rt 23.

'67 Catalina 4-dr sedan, burgandy, decent shape, on 20" 100-spoke rims, for sale.

'67 Plymouth Fury III 4-dr hardtop, white, solid, factory 'mag' hubcaps, on a trailer.

'70 Plymouth GTX 2-dr hardtop, red, mint, rolling right after the silver '67 GTO.

'71 Dodge Demon 2-dr hardtop, orange, decent amateur resto, slammed in rear quarter, parked.

late '70s Ford Fairmont 4-dr sedan on a lifted 4WD chassis with homemade rubber fender flares.

Edited by balthazar

Heading up to camp, passed what I think was a '49 Coupe Deville, young hipster and his wife and baby driving. It was painted flat white, lowered a bit, and missing the fender chrome, but rolling along serenely.

I've seen this car before, in Rehoboth/Lewes, right around where I work and it's from the dealer a stoplight away, but today I ran into Staples mid-day for something and when I came out it was parked right next to the 'ole G8 (out a bit from everyone else). Gee, I wonder why :AH-HA_wink:

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Too bad I didn't get a side by side, but the two were already getting some attention and I was in a rush.

Balthazar-Mayfair maize is one of the best looking colors IMHO for a goat...wish I could ahve seen that.

2002 Corvette Pace car/Indy, outside of Carl's townhouse, the greasy spoon where I eat breakfast.

C6 Black corvette and a Black Solstice GXP on the road when I went out to get a couple of gallons of milk.

Yellow sky roadster.

50's GMC truck, (48-52 Era)

Chris

Balthazar-Mayfair maize is one of the best looking colors IMHO for a goat...wish I could ahve seen that.

To each his own, right? I hate the color: pale yellow ?? No, thanks; no testosterone. Doesn't fit a '60s PMD, IMO. It's not horrible, but it's always 'a shame' in my book.

To each his own, right? I hate the color: pale yellow ?? No, thanks; no testosterone. Doesn't fit a '60s PMD, IMO. It's not horrible, but it's always 'a shame' in my book.

I like that color on some cars, particularly Corvettes and Camaros..

Some of my favorite '60s GM colors are Goodwood Green, Verdoro Green, Evening Orchild, Marlboro Maroon... I like LeMans Blue, but it may have been overexposed.

Rob

Who said a 60's PMD had to be masculine? Back in the day, when cars actually looked like something other than an Acura crapbox, women actually liked cars and what they looked like.

I have not only a wife, but three daughters as well. For me, having a car that is "wife friendly" and "daughter friendly" shares my love of cars with them.

Like I've said before, my wife/girls loved our 55 Chevy, which was two tone baby blue and white. And my mother still talks longingly of 50's and 60's cars.

Besides, I'm tired of seeing muscle cars in red, blue and black. One of the best looking cars I saw last summer was a real Hemi GTX ragtop at the mopar nats...and it was light yellow also.

Just a little bit different. YMMV.

Chris

Oh,and if you ever come to Columbus Ohio, and happen to go to the Dublin Car show in July...

We have a Camaro that shows up at that show and a few others, but it is mostly garage kept. It is a 67 SS/RS 396 that was bought new for drag racing andonly has like 4,000 or 5,000 miles on it. It is about the same light yellow color, and it is God's own original survivor. No chips in the original GM paint and the interior damn near smells new. I'm talking it might as well be 1968.

I'll post some pics if I see the car again...it just makes my jaw drop every time I see it.

Chris

Who said a 60's PMD had to be masculine? Back in the day, when cars actually looked like something other than an Acura crapbox, women actually liked cars and what they looked like.

I have not only a wife, but three daughters as well. For me, having a car that is "wife friendly" and "daughter friendly" shares my love of cars with them.

Like I've said before, my wife/girls loved our 55 Chevy, which was two tone baby blue and white. And my mother still talks longingly of 50's and 60's cars.

Besides, I'm tired of seeing muscle cars in red, blue and black. One of the best looking cars I saw last summer was a real Hemi GTX ragtop at the mopar nats...and it was light yellow also.

Just a little bit different. YMMV.

Chris

Orange and bright yellow are probably the muscle car colors I dislike the most. Don't care for the Mopar and Ford '70 obnoxiously bright colors, except for Grabber Blue and Grabber Green. Much prefer seeing Challengers and Cudas in the rarer colors, like silver, gray, bronze, etc.

My favorite '69 Mustang colors are Wimbedon White (like my 1:1), Black Jade, and Royal Maroon. In '70, there was an apple green/olive that was available on the Mach 1s that I'm fond of..

Rob

I'll take any color I can get...even if it's Iris Mist (which I like, light purple) or Panther Pink.

Creativity is the whole key to the muscle car thing. And actually I like orange also...

Esp. Orbit Orange on a 70 GTO. Not to bright but different.

Chris