First Drive: 2007 Toyota Yaris

Variance

No more clowning around
By John DiPietro Email
Date posted: 12-15-2005

We'll be blunt; we haven't given much love to the Toyota Echo, a car that was non-affectionately dubbed "The Clown Car" by this writer. Its tall roof and pudgy body made us think a dozen goofballs with frizzy orange hair and jumbo shoes would spill out when the doors opened. Mediocre cabin trim and shaky handling didn't help either.

Now comes the Echo's overdue replacement, the 2007 Toyota Yaris. With the new Yaris (yes, the name Echo is gone), Toyota steps things up in every way. Rather than having the two-door liftback and four-door essentially differing only in body style, two separate teams developed each version of the Yaris, giving them different personalities.

Aww, isn't it cute?
Look at the Liftback and you can't help but smile at its cuteness. It reminded us a little of the Yaris' cousin, the Scion xA, a car that one editor referred to as looking like "a big-headed toddler." Look at those big eyes and that happy face. Although shorter than the outgoing Echo coupe, the Yaris Liftback has a wheelbase over 3 inches longer (96.9 inches vs. 93.3 inches).

The four-door aims for a mini sport sedan look and is now longer (169.3 inches vs. 164.6 inches), lower (56.7 inches vs. 59.1 inches) and wider (66.5 inches vs. 65.4 inches), which relieves it of the comic proportions of the Echo sedan. As with the Liftback, the sedan's wheelbase was also stretched (100.4 inches vs. 93.3 inches). The net result is a handsome little sedan that doesn't scream "entry-level" like the Echo.

With a coefficient of drag of just 0.29, both the sedan and Liftback slip through the air with ease, promising a quieter ride and greater fuel economy at freeway speeds.

Fraternal, not identical twins
So different are the two Yaris models that they don't even share dash panels. The Liftback has three gloveboxes — two on the passenger side and one on the driver side, a benefit of the center-mounted instruments. To optimize passenger and legroom, the Liftback also features reclining rear seats that slide nearly 6 inches fore and aft.

The sedan's cabin has a more upscale feel with features like "Optitron" illuminated gauges, a two-tone color treatment, height-adjustable front seats and, on the LE, a 60/40-split rear seat with a fold-down center armrest.

Both Yaris body styles can be had in either base CE or fancier LE trim levels. The CE comes with air-conditioning, a tilt steering wheel, intermittent wipers and dual vanity mirrors. Move up to the LE and an AM/FM/CD system (with an MP3 audio jack), rear defroster, 60/40-split rear seat and 15-inch wheels (replacing the 14s) are added. Optional in both Yarii are a convenience package (includes power windows, locks and mirrors; cruise control; and antilock brakes), and side and side curtain airbags. The sedan is also available in an S version, essentially a package for the LE sedan that adds lower body skirting and an "S" badge.

Smooth as a sewing machine
Both models are powered by the same 1.5-liter, 16-valve inline four that's used in the Scion xA and xB models. Equipped with variable valve timing (VVT-i), this engine makes 106 hp at 6,000 rpm and 103 pound-feet of torque at 4,200 rpm. It's mated with either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic gearbox, but the EPA says it gets about the same mileage with either — 34 city/40 highway for the manual and 34/39 for the automatic.

We sampled both powertrains, and found the manual gave the Yaris a peppy, sporty feel. The engine stays smooth and vibration-free, even at high rpm. We took the engine to redline again and again and never felt like we were thrashing the car. Both the gearshift and clutch action are light and the gearshift knob doesn't vibrate, whether at idle or while running at 75 mph on the freeway.

As expected, the automatic sapped some of the fun, as off-the-line performance is blunted. But like the manual, it has decent midrange pull and has no problem getting up to and cruising at 75-80 mph on the highway.

We laid into the brakes hard a few times from around 55 mph and found an easily modulated pedal with reassuring braking power. All Yarii have disc brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear, but the cars we drove had the optional ABS.

At highway speeds we noticed a difference between the Liftback and the LE sedan. The sedan was quieter while the Liftback let more road rumble into the cabin. Both absorbed freeway expansion joints without drama, adding to the relaxed demeanor at cruising speeds.

Well-sorted suspension
With the suspension stiffened by 47 percent over the Echo, the Yaris feels buttoned-down and dare we say fun on curvy roads. The suspension design is nothing earth-shattering — tried-and-true MacPherson struts up front and a torsion beam out back. But with redesigned bushings, a single upper mounting point for the front struts (rather than three as in the Echo), the firmer calibrations and a lower center of gravity, the Yaris doesn't even feel related to its wallowing forebear. There's no slop in the Yaris' handling and the revamped suspension and longer wheelbases provide a smoother ride.

Helping to optimize fuel-efficiency is the electric power steering setup that takes away the engine-driven hydraulic pump of traditional power steering systems. Unlike some other systems of this kind, the Yaris' has a natural, crisp feel with even weighting.

Just in time…
As good as it is, the 2007 Toyota Yaris (which goes on sale in April 2006) will be facing some strong competition. Firm pricing was not yet available as of press time, but Toyota execs indicated that it will start under $13,000. With the recently introduced and well-built 2006 Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent and forthcoming 2007 Honda Fit and Nissan Versa, Toyota has replaced the Echo just in time. With a healthy dose of upgrades in style, handling and refinement, the Yaris puts Toyota in good standing for the upcoming economy car war.

Posted Image

Hatchback interior:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Sedan interior:
Posted Image

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...cleId=108501#18

Neither looks good, and the photo with the red sedan makes it look downright foolish, like someone sat on a Corolla. Its also odd how they seemed to take time with the sedan's interior while simply sticking yet another cheap-o Toyota radio unit in the hatch.

Is Toyota still claiming that centrally located gauges are more natural to look at.......or are they finally admitting that they are located there because it's cheaper to sell this car in Japan and the US??  <_<

[post="59487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

it ought to be interesting to see how bad the press gets on that,or if they let it slide.

Guest gmrebirth

It's mated with either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic gearbox, but the EPA says it gets about the same mileage with either — 34 city/40 highway for the manual and 34/39 for the automatic.

Some pertinent info pulled from the article; this is some mighty impressive fuel economy.

[Jeremy Clarkson] So, in conclusion. If you want your car to resemble a Pokemon, have Maytag switchgear, and be the rolling joke of your neighbourhood, surely, this is your ride! [/Jeremy Clarkson] :P Actually, the sedan should br pretty decent. The Liftback (is that really the new word for hatchback now?) is OK. Sitting inside one, comfortably reclined, all I saw in front of me was the dash. Sightlines are piss poor. Then theres the 3 nobs. These look like they were stolen from a washer/dryer. These cars also have the smallest hoods I have ever seen this side of a SMART. :huh: Look at these pictures. Those cars are fat blobs. :blink:

What a grotesque interior. THe fake-brushed aluminunm does nothing to make up for the balnd, gross spartan interior. :puke: Yeah and it goes without saying that the exterior is about as handsome as a botched abortion echo.

Jeez, it only has a four speed automatic?  And it's a 2007 model?  How cheap is that.  I'd never buy one just for that reason.  Maybe Toyota's going bankrupt, otherwise, why wouldn't they have at least a six speed auto?

[post="59537"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LOL :P :cheers:

BTW: WTF is up with the 7"x1" vent style window? What a POS afterthought. Did they desing this thing when they were druunk, stoned or both. The little mini-pilar is right in the way of the side view mirrors too.

What a grotesque interior.

THe fake-brushed aluminunm does nothing to make up for the balnd, gross spartan interior. :puke:

Yeah and it goes without saying that the exterior is about as handsome as a botched abortion echo.

[post="59710"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's miles ahead of the Aveo's interior and probably ahead of the Cobalt's in terms of quality of materials used.

Jeez, it only has a four speed automatic?  And it's a 2007 model?  How cheap is that.  I'd never buy one just for that reason.  Maybe Toyota's going bankrupt, otherwise, why wouldn't they have at least a six speed auto?

as recently as like 02, the corolla/prizm had a 3 spped auto available. now that's

MOVING FORWARD..................

This price class exploded almost overnight. The rear seat looks more commodious and larger than the Cobalt's. The interior will have better quality than a Cobalt, hell the current four year old Corolla has better quality than a Cobalt inside. After reading this review, and noting that it's pretty large inside for such a small car, this car will sell very well. Much much better interior than the Aveo.

I doubt if entry level buyers count # of gears.. :)

Guest gmrebirth

Oh, you mean just like the Daewoo ... oops I mean Chevy Aveo? Or how about the Cadillac DTS, which costs about 4 times more than the upcoming Yaris, yet still has a 4 speed auto?

A Cadillac ... a luxury vehicle ... for 2006 ... and only a 4 speed auto? Great thinking GM :rolleyes:

The Yaris comes with a 5 speed manual too.

In short, get over yourself. GM STILL can't get rid of the 4 speed autos in their full size SUVs and Cadillacs, yet you're complaining about Toyota's LOWEST model for having a 4 speed auto?

Oh, you mean just like the Daewoo ... oops I mean Chevy Aveo? Or how about the Cadillac DTS, which costs about 4 times more than the upcoming Yaris, yet still has a 4 speed auto?

A Cadillac ... a luxury vehicle ... for 2006 ... and only a 4 speed auto? Great thinking GM  :rolleyes:

The Yaris comes with a 5 speed manual too.

In short, get over yourself. GM STILL can't get rid of the 4 speed autos in their full size SUVs and Cadillacs, yet you're complaining about Toyota's LOWEST model for having a 4 speed auto?

[post="59786"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In short, it was sarcasm. Wow.

The sedan's interior is nicer the hatchbacks, but I have only sat in the Hatchback, and was impressed for what you are getting for the money. And the ergonomics are huge! I still think the prev gen Echo hatch was better than the current Yaris Hatch. However the sedan is greatly improved in terms of looks.

I still maintain the liftback is cute and it will sell well. What I wonder is whether the magazines will rip on the fact that the base car comes with rear DRUM brakes when in the past they ripped on GM for having drum brakes in Cavaliers. etc. It will be interesting to see how they respond on this issue. My guess is they will gloss over it because it is a Toyota. EDIT:spelling Edited by prinzSD

This just in:  because Toyota is so rich, they can afford to offer a really CHEAP version of their new economy car.
It will be called the "Yaris Hilton".
:)

[post="59852"][/post]

so you mean "cheap" in the slutty sense, right. :P

I also think it's great that Hyundai and Toyota are sharing styling themes these days.

Posted Image

Posted Image Edited by Sixty8panther

The sedan isn't bad, the hatch is horrible, and IMO the 2007 Aveo is way better in terms of both interior and exterior design:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

[post="59801"][/post]

I sat in numerous Yaris' in Franfurt this year.....and I really like the car and think it will do EXTREMELY well for Toyota.

I do NOT like the centrally-mounted gauges....but aside from that, fit-and-finish and the quality of the materials (hard...but high-quality hard plastics) and quality of the major and minor controls was all first-class.......very unlike the Echo.

The new Aveo looks good on the outside.....but the interior is SHAMED by the Yaris. (I also saw the Aveo in Frankfurt.) The new interior looks much better than the current Aveo's......but the quality is just as cheap as the current car.

I sat in numerous Yaris' in Franfurt this year.....and I really like the car and think it will do EXTREMELY well for Toyota.

I do NOT like the centrally-mounted gauges....but aside from that, fit-and-finish and the quality of the materials (hard...but high-quality hard plastics) and quality of the major and minor controls was all first-class.......very unlike the Echo.

The new Aveo looks good on the outside.....but the interior is SHAMED by the Yaris.  (I also saw the Aveo in Frankfurt.)  The new interior looks much better than the current Aveo's......but the quality is just as cheap as the current car.

[post="60073"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

its unfortunate because the Aveo's design is nicer. when will GM start anteing up for decent plastic?

its unfortunate because the Aveo's design is nicer.  when will GM start anteing up for decent plastic?

[post="60222"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Lucerne is an indication... its interior quality is perfectly acceptable for a $26K car, though its not exceptional.

The new Aveo looks good on the outside.....but the interior is SHAMED by the Yaris.  (I also saw the Aveo in Frankfurt.)  The new interior looks much better than the current Aveo's......but the quality is just as cheap as the current car.

[post="60073"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Did you sit in the Aveo or just see it on a turntable?

It's miles ahead of the Aveo's interior and probably ahead of the Cobalt's in terms of quality of materials used.

[post="59737"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think with the pictures of the new Aveo above, it is arguably the better styled interior and seems to have tighter panel gaps when you compare the 2 pics side by side.

I am surprised by how well executed the revised Aveo has turned out....

having to chose between the 2, I think I'd go for the Aveo. The yaris sedan is slightly sportier on the outside but the overall package and style of the Aveo wins in my book.

Wow is that an ugly car. Current Corolla shrunk with the new ugly Camry mug. The hatchback thing is just wrong. Then again design was never a Toyota strongpoint. The interior is drab and spartan...and if its anything like the Scions, the interior quality isn't anything to get excited about. I don't like the current Aveo but the new one looks light years ahead of it. It loses most of the "cartoon" look that the current one does as well as the echo and yaris. The interior definitely looks to be better than the Koreans and the Yaris. The only thing I'd be worried about is if Honda brings over a competitor...because they usually make high quality cars....although the new civic is questionable.

As long as the car is well built, and tightly screwed together who cares about the quality of the plastic? The thing we should care about is whether or not the plastic used is recoverable..... I am always amazed that people compare plastics.... especialy in this price range...

its unfortunate because the Aveo's design is nicer.  when will GM start anteing up for decent plastic?

[post="60222"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

GM HAS done decent plastics before....but I think in this case, with the Aveo, they are locked in by what Daewoo can offer from their suppliers....

In any case, the exterior of the new Aveo is a VERY mature design. It looks like a more substantial car than the old Aveo. I like it.

Yaris will be strong competition though.....

The Lucerne is an indication... its interior quality is perfectly acceptable for a $26K car, though its not exceptional.

[post="60228"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I would agree with you......for the $26K CX model, even I can put up with the hard plastics inside Lucerne....because the rest of the interior is SO well put together.

BUT when you are now considering a $39K CXS, the interior plastics really let it down. Now you are getting close to Lexus territory. I was in a ubiquitous Camry rental just last week....and even the LE Camry has hard plastic only on the underside of the dash where you can't really see it...much less feel it, unless you reach down and look for it. Lucerne (and Impala for that matter) really shouldn't have so much hard stuff up higher on the dash where it's in such plain sight and touch.

GM should think about doing what Renault has done with the new Clio (just introduced.) On the lower level trims, there's hard plastic all over the dash. It's decent, yet hard. On the higher level trims, they put softer-touch plastics all over the dash.

Did you sit in the Aveo or just see it on a turntable?

[post="60231"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I saw it on the turntable....but could get up and look at the interior. You could see the shiny plastic inside of it...it was quite obvious.

There is a chance it was prototype plastics....but I figure on a concept car like that where you are showing the interior....wouldn't they try to get production stuff inside so it will look better?

As long as the car is well built, and tightly screwed together who cares about the quality of the plastic?  The thing we should care about is whether or not the plastic used is recoverable.....  I am always amazed that people compare plastics.... especialy in this price range...

[post="60365"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why compromise? Even at this price range?

It's especially nice to buy an inexpensive car that seems well put-together, with great fit-and-finish, and that has a nice feel to the materials.

It's one thing that VW was known for not too long ago....providing a much more upscale interior ambiance relative to its price range.....

When the last generation Golf came out, it was a $17-19K car that had an interior more befitting a $30K car.

GM should think about doing what Renault has done with the new Clio (just introduced.)  On the lower level trims, there's hard plastic all over the dash.  It's decent, yet hard.  On the higher level trims, they put softer-touch plastics all over the dash.

[post="60393"][/post]

Agreed... GM should charge $675 or so for a "nice interior" option. This will satisfy both the press and conquest buyers who care about interior quality, yet it won't put a burden on fleet sales or traditional GM buyers who don't give a damn.

In fact, the Cobalt LT models and up have nicer upper-door plastics than LS models, though the interior overall still screams cheap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I saw it on the turntable....but could get up and look at the interior.  You could see the shiny plastic inside of it...it was quite obvious.

There is a chance it was prototype plastics....but I figure on a concept car like that where you are showing the interior....wouldn't they try to get production stuff inside so it will look better?

[post="60396"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude you cannot tell until you actually get inside the car, especially if it is on a turntable. I am really starting to think you condemn the plastics if it is a GM vehicle just because.

Dude you cannot tell until you actually get inside the car, especially if it is on a turntable.  I am really starting to think you condemn the plastics if it is a GM vehicle just because.

[post="60403"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now c'mon.....if you read my posts, you KNOW when I've given GM props for when they HAVE done good interiors...

(C6, G6 with exception of center stack, LaCrosse with exception of woodgrain, etc.)

And I don't condemn the ENTIRE interior....only when I think they've done some part crappy and so forth...