Honda Ridgeline wins MT Truck of the Year

tama z71

http://motortrend.com/features/news/2005/1...ck_of_the_year/

Well, its a joke everyone. A big fat joke. Angus MacKenzie has clearly ruined what was once a credible auto publication. Im sending a letter to the editor regarding the subject, and would hope you would all do the same.

Unbelievable. Astonishing. Disgraceful. There is no amount of hyperbole that can appropriately describe the joke that is your choice for TOTY. Have you taken a look at the reality of this thing? Eleven months into the year and they are 14,000 units short of their anticipated sales goal. The truck runs on a mini-van derived platform. It has only one bed-cab-engine configuration. It cant go off road (see how that unibody crap holds up against other trucks when the pavement ends.) Its priced as a full-size truck, advertised as a half-ton, and yet does not match even the lowliest full-size offering from other carmakers in any area.

I remember when your winner was chosen based upon significance and impact in the vehicle's respective market. Obviously this choice was made regarding the notion that truck buyers are seeking car-like qualities, and as a truck owner, I can loudly proclaim bullsh*t to that idea.

I subscribed to Motor Trend two years ago because I thought you guys made the most logical analyses regarding the auto market. Maybe you guys just lost your edge? Maybe its the addition of MacKenzie (and his presence pertains to a lot of newfound WHATTHEHELLS? in your mag). Either way, your publication just garnered toilet paper status in the minds of a lot of truck owners.

Congratulations on ruining a good thing. I really expected more from you guys.

Other than the Honda, how many pickups were redesigned, all-new, or significantly updated this year? I can only think of the Sport Trac, which, as much as I'm not a fan of Explorers, I'd still vote for over the Ridgeline.

I was hoping the title of the thread was a joke... I have not written a letter to MT in like a year but it's effin time. The Civic was still not as significant as they made it out ot be and I think it's over rated but it is somewhat deserving... this $hitpile is deserving of nothing except a quick extinction. We need a "disgusted" :smiley:

Well, its a joke everyone.  A big fat joke.  Angus MacKenzie has clearly ruined what was once a credible auto publication.  Im sending a letter to the editor regarding the subject, and would hope you would all do the same.

Apparently I've been subscribing to Motor Trend longer than many of you have been ALIVE. And it's obvious that I don't have this cloud over my brain where I think that everything the mainstream media publishes is "bias" against domestics.

I have seen the Ridgeline upclose and it's the best new truck out there today. Too many people have this misconception that "half ton" means it competes with the F150 or Silverado...this isn't the case. A traditional "half ton" pickup is now the equivalent of a Dakota or smaller.

Honda noticed that competing directly with mid-sized or full-sized pickups was not going to work for Honda in its first attempt. Being the intelligent group of people that Honda is, they came up with the Ridgeline: a fully-capable, light-duty pickup with room for five adults, acceptable gas mileage and more than adequate power. This is NOT, nor was it meant to be, an F150 or Silverado.

Most modern buyers of pickups are NOT using them on construction sites or for going off road. These buyers want comfort, interior space, and a bed out back for occasional hauling of stuff from Home Depot, a yard sale, or a nursery. These buyers are NOT looking to tow a yacht...they're not looking to run the Rubicon Trail...they're not looking haul two tons of gravel. The Ridgeline fits its intended purpose.

By all means, send in your letters to the editor (freedom of speech and all). But PLEASE be informed before you do. I don't want to read more drivel from half-informed readers who think the Ridgeline is something it's not. Remember, the El Camino (and Ranchero) was a "full-sized" pickup with a cab/bed combination and few people thought it was an alternative to the C/K (or F-Series)...it was just a different animal. Atleast the Ridgeline can carry five adults (compared to the El Camino's 2 or 3), has good power (compared to the relatively low power in the older Chevy), and has all-wheel drive (something the El Camino never attempted).

Some other significant calls on MT's part. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Rather Amusing (check the DeLorean)

Check out the "Plymouth" hardtop!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Apparently I've been subscribing to Motor Trend longer than many of you have been ALIVE. And it's obvious that I don't have this cloud over my brain where I think that everything the mainstream media publishes is "bias" against domestics.

I have seen the Ridgeline upclose and it's the best new truck out there today. Too many people have this misconception that "half ton" means it competes with the F150 or Silverado...this isn't the case. A traditional "half ton" pickup is now the equivalent of a Dakota or smaller.

Honda noticed that competing directly with mid-sized or full-sized pickups was not going to work for Honda in its first attempt. Being the intelligent group of people that Honda is, they came up with the Ridgeline: a fully-capable, light-duty pickup with room for five adults, acceptable gas mileage and more than adequate power. This is NOT, nor was it meant to be, an F150 or Silverado.

Most modern buyers of pickups are NOT using them on construction sites or for going off road. These buyers want comfort, interior space, and a bed out back for occasional hauling of stuff from Home Depot, a yard sale, or a nursery. These buyers are NOT looking to tow a yacht...they're not looking to run the Rubicon Trail...they're not looking haul two tons of gravel. The Ridgeline fits its intended purpose.

By all means, send in your letters to the editor (freedom of speech and all). But PLEASE be informed before you do. I don't want to read more drivel from half-informed readers who think the Ridgeline is something it's not. Remember, the El Camino (and Ranchero) was a "full-sized" pickup with a cab/bed combination and few people thought it was an alternative to the C/K (or F-Series)...it was just a different animal. Atleast the Ridgeline can carry five adults (compared to the El Camino's 2 or 3), has good power (compared to the relatively low power in the older Chevy), and has all-wheel drive (something the El Camino never attempted).

[post="61305"][/post]

you've been drinking too much of the Honda.....

Posted Image Edited by regfootball

Here's an example of Car & Driver making a great call.

:rotflmao:

Posted Image

I bought this on ebay last year with a bunch of other interesting car magazines from the 70s.

Great....I can just see you guys turning this post into another "Ridgeline-bashing" thread.... Fact of the matter IS.....the Ridgeline FAR deserved to win this title....whether you like it or NOT. Try pushing your biases aside for once and look at the significance and uniqueness of this vehicle versus its competitiors.....there is simply not another "pickup" out on the market like the Ridgeline. Even the Sport Trac is based on a traditional "BOF" architecture. In FACT, the Ridgeline deserved to win even more than Civic did in its contest. Let's look at the competition in this year's contest....... Dodge Ram/Mega Cab - Too insignificant of an upgrade to make any sort of real difference. Isuzu i-350 - It's a Colorado, for goodness-sakes.....'nuff said there..... Lincoln Mark LT - It's an F-150. In fact, you can get F-150s that are as luxurious as the Mark LT (King Ranch, Lariat) so what's the point of this truck? To have the prestige of the "Lincoln" badge? Like "Lincoln" means anything to anyone these days.... Mitsu Raider - It's a Dakota. They are nice trucks....but their underwhelming V8s help to let them down. How is THIS truck significant, unique, or overly impressive in this segment? C'mon guys....I want to see the "Anti-Honda" guys try to "spin" THIS one..... ^_^

As much as many people on this board can disagree, Honda did deserve car of the year and truck of the year for their achievement. Their achievement to be different. Who, even ten years ago, would imagine Honda coming out with a pick-up truck, or even a V6 engine in their car line-up? Honda took the risk and designed the Civic for '06 as we seen in Back to the Future II, and designed a truck, ugly from the front as hell, that appeals to people who want a truck, but don't want that choppy truck ride. So I think, the awards were given to Honda for taking that step out of the box, and taking a risk, and it's paying off for them. Meanwhile, most manufacturers have stayed in one spot, designing the same thing over, and over again.

Here's an example of Car & Driver making a great call.

The Fairmont/Zephyr was a very modern car for 1977. These choices have to be seen for their era. The Fairmont chassis even made some desirable products in the early 1980s (Ford LTD LX), mid-late 1980s (Lincoln Mark VII), and early 1990s (Mustang). But it all started with a lowly mid-sized, RWD, inexpensive car in 1977 offered in four body styles with three engines (four, six, and V8).

[post="61305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You like to use your seniority as a throne over those who see differently than you, dont you? Thats pretty respectable. :rolleyes:

Your analysis sounds like you dont drive a truck. okay, great. The Ridgeline is aimed at people like you, right? It seems that Honda likes to advertise otherwise, as they make far greater mention of it's "truckish" capabilities than they do it's carlike attributes. So which is it? Does the Ridgeline appeal to car buyers or truck buyers? More than you think, there are still a tremendous group of consumers who want a truck to be a truck and couldnt be less concerned with carlike ride. The Ridgeline, apparently, is being advertised towards these truck buyers. So why the double standard?

Half ton is not a scientific term, its rhetoric used to describe a full size truck. The connotation of the term half ton immediately alludes to silverado and F150. Go ask anybody what they perceive to be half ton. Your argument there is moot.

The ridgeline is priced in the range of fullsize trucks, and cannot compete with them on any level of powertrain, towing or cargo capacity. The TOTY award is meant to recognize significance in the market. The ridgeline clearly does not have that significance, as Ive never seen a vehicle of the year experience such dismal sales. The award was misplaced, and your opinions, believe it or not, are not the be all and end all of the topic.

Or am I too young to understand that?

Who really cares what damn truck wins the MT TOTY. It's not like that "acheivement" is going to help Honda move any more of the ugly pigs anyways.

[post="61351"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Stick a fork in it this thread is DONE! :)

Who really cares what damn truck wins the MT TOTY. It's not like that "acheivement" is going to help Honda move any more of the ugly pigs anyways.

The Element and the fridgeline are one of the ugliest things on the road, but gotta give them props to being the most versitile things on the road esp. Element.

The Element and the fridgeline are one of the ugliest things on the road, but gotta give them props to being the most versitile things on the road esp. Element.

[post="61373"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not many people gave the Aztek props for being one of the most versitile vehicles, so I see no reason to do so for the equally ugly Element.

Not many people gave the Aztek props for being one of the most versitile vehicles, so I see no reason to do so for the equally ugly Element.

[post="61389"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like the Aztek, I think it was cool they had the removable centre-console that was a cooler at the same time, and the tent package. It's a shame it's out of production.

Wow... :blink: Just... wow. I can officially say my subscription isn't being renewed. Ever since that Austrailian took over, MT has been crap. Terrible layout, design, photography, and especially writing. I mean, when C&D is finally writing less biased articles all while it has always been the better magazine... Who wouldn't?

You like to use your seniority as a throne over those who see differently than you, dont you?  Thats pretty respectable.  :rolleyes:

My apologies if it seems that way. I've been reading this magazine for longer than two years and it went through a lull in the past decade but has returned somewhat in the past two or three years. I haven't seen anything from this new editor to make me think otherwise.

Your analysis sounds like you dont drive a truck.  okay, great.  The Ridgeline is aimed at people like you, right?  It seems that Honda likes to advertise otherwise, as they make far greater mention of it's "truckish" capabilities than they do it's carlike attributes.  So which is it?  Does the Ridgeline appeal to car buyers or truck buyers?  More than you think, there are still a tremendous group of consumers who want a truck to be a truck and couldnt be less concerned with carlike ride.  The Ridgeline, apparently, is being advertised towards these truck buyers.  So why the double standard?

Half ton is not a scientific term, its rhetoric used to describe a full size truck.  The connotation of the term half ton immediately alludes to silverado and F150.  Go ask anybody what they perceive to be half ton.  Your argument there is moot.

The ridgeline is priced in the range of fullsize trucks, and cannot compete with them on any level of powertrain, towing or cargo capacity.  The TOTY award is meant to recognize significance in the market.  The ridgeline clearly does not have that significance, as Ive never seen a vehicle of the year experience such dismal sales.  The award was misplaced, and your opinions, believe it or not, are not the be all and end all of the topic.

Or am I too young to understand that?

You're right. I don't own a truck...nor do I have a need or desire to own one. And my opinions are not (by my thoughts or anyone else's) "the be all and end all" of ANY topic. They are simply my educated opinions that I hope will open someone else's eyes to something they might have missed. That's all.

Advertising the "truckiness" of a truck does not mean it's being compared to any contractor's vehicle or off-road vehicle. The "truckiness" factor being shown in advertising simply comes from the vehicle being marketed to people who think they want a truck. These people have no reason to own a truck an yet they buy hundreds of thousands of Silverados and F-Series (light and heavy) and Ram Trucks and rarely if ever dirty the beds. It's all image.

Don't get me wrong, there are many hundreds of thousands of these pickups in the hands of people who actually need them for work or play. But there's a huge market of people who don't. These are the people who are targeted with upscale pickups like the "Harley-Davidson" F-Series or the Sierra Denali or Silverado SS or Ram SRT-10. These are also the people who buy Nissan Titans (because Nissan doesn't have the capacity to market to the whole range of truck buyers). And these are the people who buy the Ridgeline.

You can have car-like attributes in a truck and still advertise the "truckiness" of it. The Subaru Baja hasn't been much of a success as a car-like pickup. The Ridgeline has appealed to a wider market as a truck-like, unibody-based pickup. It's a market that I expect to grow of the coming years as more and more "wannabes" realize how much money they're wasting on gas in their Silverado or F-Series or Titan and how much more comfortable a Ridgeline is.

The Honda will handle 99% of the needs of this target group. While the more "truck-like" trucks might handle 100% (and then some) of their needs, they carry (no pun intended) too much baggage in girth, gas mileage, noise, comfort, etc.

Pricing should NOT be compared to an F-Series. The Ridgeline is an upscale vehicle and when you compare it to upscale 4WD four-door F-Series or Silverado or Ram Truck, you get a different comparison altogether.

I'm not a fan of the Ridgeline in particular. But that doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle, just that it's not my taste in vehicles. It is a good vehicle for the market it's targeted at. And THAT is my point. Edited by Hudson

LOL... What a surprise! (Yeah right) A Honda sweep!!!! I guess they (the media) figure that since they kickstarted Toyota and it's doing well that now it's time to laviish Honda in praise and seal the number 2 spot for them. Don't be surprised when the North American COTY/TOTY mirrors this, because it usually does. The Ridgeline isn't impressive at all. (Unless you want a bloated, avalanche knock off with sub par power and poor fit and finish) Oh and BTW, it must've been the blind man that said Honda did interiors better than anyone else, because the new interiors (Ridgeline and Civic especially) are god-awful.

I fell for it. I thought this thread was a joke but now the only thing that is a joke is Motor Trend. I was just about to the telephone to cancel my subscription because of the Civic being given COTY and now I'm definately going to cancel, there's nothing that's going to stop me. I'll cancel after I get to read all of the letters that subscribers mail. I'm positive more than a few good laughs will be found. Hudson, I'm sorry, but the F150 is more upscale than the Ridgeline will ever be. There's no comparison.

I like the Aztek, I think it was cool they had the removable centre-console that was a cooler at the same time, and the tent package.  It's a shame it's out of production.

[post="61393"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, you are certainly one of the few open-minded people when talking about the Aztek. I'm pretty sure no mag could get past it's uglyness, while they probably just called the Element "cute in a quirky sort of way" and didn't care what it looked like.

LOL... What a surprise!

(Yeah right)

A Honda sweep!!!!

I guess they (the media) figure that since they kickstarted Toyota and it's doing well that now it's time to laviish Honda in praise and seal the number 2 spot for them.

Don't be surprised when the North American COTY/TOTY mirrors this, because it usually does.

The Ridgeline isn't impressive at all. (Unless you want a bloated, avalanche knock off with sub par power and poor fit and finish)

Oh and BTW, it must've been the blind man that said Honda did interiors better than anyone else, because the new interiors (Ridgeline and Civic especially) are god-awful.

[post="61431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Still better than your recall-friendly Focus

I fell for it.  I thought this thread was a joke but now the only thing that is a joke is Motor Trend.  I was just about to the telephone to cancel my subscription because of the Civic being given COTY and now I'm definately going to cancel, there's nothing that's going to stop me.  I'll cancel after I get to read all of the letters that subscribers mail.  I'm positive more than a few good laughs will be found.

[post="61434"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:rolleyes: Oh please... the Ridgeline was far more deserving of TOTY than any of the other contenders -- three rebadged trucks and one facelift.

OMG! BV! I had a student today with the exact quote written on her shirt that is on your signature right now! lol And all day... I just kept saying to myself, "I know I've heard that somewhere before... but where?!" Edited by Paolino

:rolleyes: Oh please... the Ridgeline was far more deserving of TOTY than any of the other contenders -- three rebadged trucks and one facelift.

[post="61455"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Then they should tell the fricken truth......none of the trucks were really that significant to earn a truck of the year award......so we'll give it to a non-truck.......a jacked up car with a bed. If they say something like that, then that's the only way I'll continue my subscription!

As much as many people on this board can disagree, Honda did deserve car of the year and truck of the year for their achievement.  Their achievement to be different.  Who, even ten years ago, would imagine Honda coming out with a pick-up truck, or even a V6 engine in their car line-up?  Honda took the risk and designed the Civic for '06 as we seen in Back to the Future II, and designed a truck, ugly from the front as hell, that appeals to people who want a truck, but don't want that choppy truck ride.  So I think, the awards were given to Honda for taking that step out of the box, and taking a risk, and it's paying off for them.  Meanwhile, most manufacturers have stayed in one spot, designing the same thing over, and over again.

[post="61337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

can you even shut the fking tailgate with a half sheet of plywood in the bed?

LOL, true, except the overly wealthy urban liberals who get to the point in life where they decide it may be quaint to own a truck and consumer reports tells them so.

[post="61389"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the aztek provides more room and versatility and gets better real world mpg and that's why one is in my driveway as opposed to the element.

My apologies if it seems that way. I've been reading this magazine for longer than two years and it went through a lull in the past decade but has returned somewhat in the past two or three years. I haven't seen anything from this new editor to make me think otherwise.
You're right. I don't own a truck...nor do I have a need or desire to own one. And my opinions are not (by my thoughts or anyone else's) "the be all and end all" of ANY topic. They are simply my educated opinions that I hope will open someone else's eyes to something they might have missed. That's all.

Advertising the "truckiness" of a truck does not mean it's being compared to any contractor's vehicle or off-road vehicle. The "truckiness" factor being shown in advertising simply comes from the vehicle being marketed to people who think they want a truck. These people have no reason to own a truck an yet they buy hundreds of thousands of Silverados and F-Series (light and heavy) and Ram Trucks and rarely if ever dirty the beds. It's all image.

Don't get me wrong, there are many hundreds of thousands of these pickups in the hands of people who actually need them for work or play. But there's a huge market of people who don't. These are the people who are targeted with upscale pickups like the "Harley-Davidson" F-Series or the Sierra Denali or Silverado SS or Ram SRT-10. These are also the people who buy Nissan Titans (because Nissan doesn't have the capacity to market to the whole range of truck buyers). And these are the people who buy the Ridgeline.

You can have car-like attributes in a truck and still advertise the "truckiness" of it. The Subaru Baja hasn't been much of a success as a car-like pickup. The Ridgeline has appealed to a wider market as a truck-like, unibody-based pickup. It's a market that I expect to grow of the coming years as more and more "wannabes" realize how much money they're wasting on gas in their Silverado or F-Series or Titan and how much more comfortable a Ridgeline is.

The Honda will handle 99% of the needs of this target group. While the more "truck-like" trucks might handle 100% (and then some) of their needs, they carry (no pun intended) too much baggage in girth, gas mileage, noise, comfort, etc.

Pricing should NOT be compared to an F-Series. The Ridgeline is an upscale vehicle and when you compare it to upscale 4WD four-door F-Series or Silverado or Ram Truck, you get a different comparison altogether.

I'm not a fan of the Ridgeline in particular. But that doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle, just that it's not my taste in vehicles. It is a good vehicle for the market it's targeted at. And THAT is my point.

[post="61414"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

if the ridgeline is an 'upscale' vehicle, why is the interior so heinous in comparison ot the nicely trimmed leather interiors of the F-150?

The Ridgeline is a truck????

[post="61391"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Someone give this guy a blue ribbon! :CG_all:

the aztek provides more room and versatility and gets better real world mpg and that's why one is in my driveway as opposed to the element.

[post="61528"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It also seats more than four, as opposed to the Elements I've seen.

Regardless of the uncomfortable sitting-bitch 5th seat in other vehicles...that was the one thing that stopped my parents from buying one a couple of months ago.

just was reading M/T's rag again why is it that the lowly Cobalt SS sedan had a better 1/4 mile time than the supposedly awesome neck snapping power machine with the 8000 rpm they call the Civic si?

for a car that pins its hopes on performace and the Si cannot beat the cobalt in the 1/4 mile.

[post="61641"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Cobalt has far more torque than the motorcycle motor thats in the Honda. I dont understand why japan thinks horsepower is key. Even though the Balt makes more of that as well. I want a vehicle who gets its power quickly, not wanting to feel like i gotta floor it to get it moving.

There's one thing that will get C&Gers riled up for sure, and that's any kind of positive press for the Ridgeline. The vehicle is ugly and the gas mileage is poor, but there is a lot of innovation in it and as such does deserve some of the accolades that it gets. Particularly when the competition for this year's TOY did not exhibit any kind of significance. Not everybody needs a truck to be as heavy-duty as an F-150 or a Silverado.

Then they should tell the fricken truth......none of the trucks were really that significant to earn a truck of the year award......so we'll give it to a non-truck.......a jacked up car with a bed.  If they say something like that, then that's the only way I'll continue my subscription!

[post="61512"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thank you.

Like someone else said, MT should merge TOTY and SUVOTY into one because there is no way the truck market can continually put out remodeled and new models every single year.

I wonder how many times MT praised the in-bed trunk?

SUVs used to be part of TotY, they split the awards up when they decided to merge Import Car of the Year and Car of the Year, still have to have 3 awards, you know.  So trucks and sport utes were separated.

I've read M/T when had only 1 award issue... then they had 2... now they are stretching things thin & compromising their results to keep 3. Anyone think they are trying to come up with a 4th?
Staying with their usual criteria of 'most significant' I supposed -compared to it's competition- the frigeline does fit that. Doesn't make it unique, aspirational or even anything more than mediocre, and it doesn't overwrite it's many shortcomings. TOTY would never sway my decision in a million years on any vehicle.
This whole awards thing has gotten WAY out of hand to the point of devaluing everything (music, Hollywood, products, etc, etc, etc). What's the point for the consumer anymore?