Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Inside the 2010 Camaro SS

After all the hype and anticipation the last 10 years or so have brought upon the automotive world, the new Camaro has finally been delivered to dealerships across the country. I remember seeing the early renderings and thought for sure that this was going to be the best car of the 21st century under $40K.

When I saw the movie Transformers in the theater, and Bumblebee morphed into the new Camaro, I was blown away. I just knew it was the car to have. I was so excited to see them I couldn't stand it. But when I started seeing pictures of the actual interior, I was less than excited. The overgrown gauges in the center console near the shifter were the first things that caught my eye, but not in a good way. I couldn't believe how much they distracted from the dash and the rest of the interior. I mean, what were they thinking?

It looks like someone just grabbed some plastic Lego gauges and started stacking them.Now, don't get me wrong, the 5th gen Camaro is a beast, and from the exterior it really looks menacing going down the road, but I am really disappointed with how the interior came out. All the plastic and pleather should really be replaced with more modern, sophisticated versions. After waiting that long for a car to be produced, I really felt disappointed and left expecting more.

Link: http://www.chevroletreports.com/blog/10357...-2010-camaro-ss

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never really understood the gripes about the Camaro interior. I've found it to be perfectly sufficient for the vehicle, and if you're a stickler for plastic softness, you're likely not a Camaro customer anyways.

The gauges are too big and distract from the interior?! Gee whiz buddy, I'd be hoping you're looking at them, and not ogling the hot 'D-Pad' buttons for the climate control system when on the road. :rolleyes:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/new-cars/cam...ro-interior.jpg

I'm not entirely sure where Lego blocks come into play here...

I wish I could find a picture, but the Camro interior is just a redesgin of the 1970s series Corvette Stingray interiors. My Brother has a 1976 Vette and I hate the layout of the gauges over the shifter. But in 1976 the inside of the Corvette felt like a jet fighter, and I dare anyone to get inside those 70's Vettes and I think today they still get that feeling. The Camro unforutantely, just looks cheap.

I think the new Camaro has a unique (thankfully, it is not a parts-bin interior), racy interior. I love the console gauges, a connection to the past we've all idealized.

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT? Chevrolet has given you all a gift, and you act like spoiled children. You can't have the Camaro each of you individually dreamed about... boo hoo hoo, the designers didn't climb inside YOUR head and spit out your dream. But they did a fantastic job bringing to production a beautiful, fast car for a reasonable amount of money.

After spending some time with the real thing on the road the dash is not as bad as it first seem to me when I first saw it. The materials are in line with most cars in this class and for Chevy.

The only real gripe is the steerig wheel. I know they tried to copy the old Rally wheel but it just did not work. I would have felt better with the Parts Bin Vette wheel. GM could address this one easy in the future. Just adding the CTS V Suede p[tion wheel whould be easy for the SS or Z if they ever get the green light. Make it standard with the HUD option.

Edited by hyperv6

I'm with 'blu...what do you guys want, seriously????

Like I've said before, enjoy the Camaro now, it is the last of it's breed.

This is the best Camaro interior to date and you guys want to sit on the internet and bash it? Methinks your just upset that you don't have 35K to go buy an actual Camaro SS.

Chris

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT? Chevrolet has given you all a gift, and you act like spoiled children.

Actually, what I wanted was a smaller, lighter package. One where I feel connected to a car which is an absolute joy to drive. A more mechanically direct car with great steering feedback and a nimble chassis. A less bizzare interior would also have been appreciated.

Edited by Chazman

This is the best Camaro interior to date and you guys want to sit on the internet and bash it? Methinks your just upset that you don't have 35K to go buy an actual Camaro SS.

Chris

If you're referring to me, the price is not even a factor. In fact, I'd be willing to pay MORE if the car met my expectations. Don't get me wrong, I think the Camaro is a good car, and the Camaro Team did a GREAT job, considering what they had to start with. But it just doesn't give me goosebumps or get my heart racing when I drive it.

After spending some time with the real thing on the road the dash is not as bad as it first seem to me when I first saw it. The materials are in line with most cars in this class and for Chevy.

The only real gripe is the steerig wheel. I know they tried to copy the old Rally wheel but it just did not work. I would have felt better with the Parts Bin Vette wheel. GM could address this one easy in the future. Just adding the CTS V Suede p[tion wheel whould be easy for the SS or Z if they ever get the green light. Make it standard with the HUD option.

I can agree with that. The CTS-V's steering wheel, is pretty darned nice, especially with the optional suede. But beyond that, the beautiful steering wheel controls some really great steering feel. Two things which the Camaro lacks.

The CTS-V's interior in general is pretty awesome though.

Actually, what I wanted was a smaller, lighter package. One where I feel connected to a car which is an absolute joy to drive. A more mechanically direct car with great steering feedback and a nimble chassis. A less bizzare interior would also have been appreciated.

Basically, everything the Camaro has never been.

It seems to me that you have described the Corvette here.

Well, you can say I've described the Corvette, the 3-series, ...... or even (gasp) the Mustang. Although I don't think the current Mustang is small, but it is quite abit more nimble than the Camaro.

I can understand what you are saying. Camaro has the power advantage over the Mustang for a while to give better performance advantage over the Ford. With the updated Ford powertrain, Camaro may be found wanting. That 350-400 lb difference between the Camaro and the Mustang will always be a deficit as horsepowers can always go up by adding more, but the weight in the chasis/body cannot. The heavy zeta was not an ideal base for Camaro, but given the constraints, GM engineers have done a fabulous job for the vehicle's dynamics.

I still feel Camaro is a strong design, and a very well done and thoughtout car for GM. Interior is not a solid point and level of quality can improve. I think that the interior should have been more modern. But I can live with the car as a boulevard cruiser with occassional times in the curvy mountains rather than a race junky.

I can understand what you are saying. Camaro has the power advantage over the Mustang for a while to give better performance advantage over the Ford. With the updated Ford powertrain, Camaro may be found wanting. That 350-400 lb difference between the Camaro and the Mustang will always be a deficit as horsepowers can always go up by adding more, but the weight in the chasis/body cannot. The heavy zeta was not an ideal base for Camaro, but given the constraints, GM engineers have done a fabulous job for the vehicle's dynamics.

I still feel Camaro is a strong design, and a very well done and thoughtout car for GM. Interior is not a solid point and level of quality can improve. I think that the interior should have been more modern. But I can live with the car as a boulevard cruiser with occassional times in the curvy mountains rather than a race junky.

Agreed. The car does in fact have a strong design, it's biggest strength, I believe. I also agree that Zeta was far from an ideal starting point for the Camaro. But keeping in mind the pretty dysfunctional position GM has been in, I guess that they couldn't do any better. That's why my hat's off to the Camaro Team - considering their constraints what they had to work with. It's analogous to trying to create a Camaro off of the old B-Body Caprice.

Edited by Chazman

How do you figure that?

The whole formula of the Camaro and the original pony cars was a small nimble package.

The original Camaro was 186" in length, just a mere 4 inches shorter than today's Camaro. Weight was 3,500lbs for 1969 Z28 with 290hp. That's just 200lbs less than a 300hp, 3780lb., 2010 Camaro LS. Now, I'll fully admit to never have driven either the 1969 nor 2010, but knowing what I know about the Zeta platform, I'm gonna bet that modern technology more than makes up for the 200lb weight gain and that the 2010 can easily dance with the 1969.

A 1976 Camaro Z28 was 195" in length, 5 inches longer than a 2010. It weighed about 3680lbs and put out a fire breathing 165hp from it's 350 (that is actually up 10hp from the '75 model). Even a V6 2010 Camaro being 100lbs heavier would easily lay a 1976 Camaro to waste.

By the early '90s weight was back down to a more respectable 3200 for the Z28, but power was still a Miata like 170hp from a 5 liter V8. The 1990 Camaro was still 2 inches longer than a 2010.

In 2000, the weight had creeped back up over 3500lbs, but at least now you could get the venerable LT-1 to cope with the extra mass. Length was 3.5 inches longer than the 2010 Camaro.

One important thing to note is that even though the 2010 is the second shortest of all of the Camaro body styles, it easily has the longest wheel base which greatly improves handling.

Not being a Camaro fan, I just don't see, looking at these numbers, how the new Camaro is that far "out of line" from the original.

Chris

Right on this will be last generation Camaro I expect, ever. Unless a miracle happens. After 2015 model year this one is gone. No the interior isn't perfect but I'll take a real car, with a real motor over having soft dash plastic anyday!

Not to get off the topic - but does anyone else think that GM needs a car to take on 370Z with a venerable powertrain of LNF 2.0 Turbo DI with 325hp +/-, 6-speed transmissions and price that is not touching $50k? The weight should not exceed 3,000 lbs and should be on par with Porsche Cayman when it comes to handling. The base price of this car could start at $25k, with price jumping on to $35k for a fully loaded convertible. That will suffice many a race junkies since Solstice has now been a dearly departed.

The original Camaro was 186" in length, just a mere 4 inches shorter than today's Camaro. Weight was 3,500lbs for 1969 Z28 with 290hp. That's just 200lbs less than a 300hp, 3780lb., 2010 Camaro LS. Now, I'll fully admit to never have driven either the 1969 nor 2010, but knowing what I know about the Zeta platform, I'm gonna bet that modern technology more than makes up for the 200lb weight gain and that the 2010 can easily dance with the 1969.

A 1976 Camaro Z28 was 195" in length, 5 inches longer than a 2010. It weighed about 3680lbs and put out a fire breathing 165hp from it's 350 (that is actually up 10hp from the '75 model). Even a V6 2010 Camaro being 100lbs heavier would easily lay a 1976 Camaro to waste.

By the early '90s weight was back down to a more respectable 3200 for the Z28, but power was still a Miata like 170hp from a 5 liter V8. The 1990 Camaro was still 2 inches longer than a 2010.

In 2000, the weight had creeped back up over 3500lbs, but at least now you could get the venerable LT-1 to cope with the extra mass. Length was 3.5 inches longer than the 2010 Camaro.

One important thing to note is that even though the 2010 is the second shortest of all of the Camaro body styles, it easily has the longest wheel base which greatly improves handling.

Not being a Camaro fan, I just don't see, looking at these numbers, how the new Camaro is that far "out of line" from the original.

But look at the size of the average car in 1967 or 1970 or 1982 and compare a contemporary Camaro to that, and you'll see just how relatively compact it traditionally was.

Right on this will be last generation Camaro I expect, ever. Unless a miracle happens. After 2015 model year this one is gone. No the interior isn't perfect but I'll take a real car, with a real motor over having soft dash plastic anyday!

The 6th gen is already in the works......

But look at the size of the average car in 1967 or 1970 or 1982 and compare a contemporary Camaro to that, and you'll see just how relatively compact it traditionally was.

If the Camaro stayed the same size relative to the average sedan on the road, you'd be looking at "Camaro - Imported by SMART".

I think the Camaro is best if it remains true to itself instead of worrying about how big the current Deville is.

I appreciate the effort that went into making it appear and function in the classic sense. When I'm looking at the fuel gauge or speedometer, down toward the stereo controls where the sharp downturn of the dash completely separates from the centre console, I get the feeling that I literally am in an updated 70's Camaro. That's the goal here, going over the modern approach and developing a classic feel for the driver. Anyone can design a 'retroesque' interior, but to design one that appears to function in that same style to give the driver a classic impression is a huge goal to attain.

Though I speak highly of the final design, about the only thing I consider a bit 'aftermarketish' in appearance is the placement of the centre information gauges. I mean, it's not as if just because GM went to such great lengths to give its customers a new Camaro there wouldn't be some things that would be considered a little 'off'. The 'spoiled children' comment makes it seem as though the car exists and must be placed on a pedestal, regardless of anything. That kind of thinking is reserved for import owners on kool-aid as thick as Jell-o, IMHO.

Amazing how GM fans of all people piss and moan when GM doesn't give you guys enough performance cars /RWD/V8/manual/coupe/etc. and then piss and moan some more when they give you a really good one.

Just because someone like's RWD/V8/manual/coupes, doesn't mean they like ugly retro interiors. That was the excuse when GM's truck had crappy interiors. It's a truck, those buyers don't care. Well guess what, they do. Look at truck interiors now. It doesn't need to have the best quality materials at that price point, but it does actually have to look decent. Why couldn't GM match the GTO/G8 interior with the Camaro exterior?

Just because someone like's RWD/V8/manual/coupes, doesn't mean they like ugly retro interiors. That was the excuse when GM's truck had crappy interiors. It's a truck, those buyers don't care. Well guess what, they do. Look at truck interiors now. It doesn't need to have the best quality materials at that price point, but it does actually have to look decent. Why couldn't GM match the GTO/G8 interior with the Camaro exterior?

Because then it wouldn't look like a Camaro?

Not to get off the topic - but does anyone else think that GM needs a car to take on 370Z with a venerable powertrain of LNF 2.0 Turbo DI with 325hp +/-, 6-speed transmissions and price that is not touching $50k? The weight should not exceed 3,000 lbs and should be on par with Porsche Cayman when it comes to handling. The base price of this car could start at $25k, with price jumping on to $35k for a fully loaded convertible. That will suffice many a race junkies since Solstice has now been a dearly departed.

Subsitute a HO 3.6L for the turbo 4cyl, and that's a car that could bring me back to GM. Under 3000lbs probably isn't realistic, but anything under 3400lbs would be acceptable.

Subsitute a HO 3.6L for the turbo 4cyl, and that's a car that could bring me back to GM. Under 3000lbs probably isn't realistic, but anything under 3400lbs would be acceptable.

Yeah 3.6L could be better too - I just added the LNF in the mix because it has been already proved to be race worthy and its tuning possibilities are limitless. I can see the car being close to 3,000 lb if Kappa could. The car need not be bigger than the Kappa, but you are right 3,200 - 3,300 lb would be more realistic.

So crappy looks = Camaro? Then yes, the interior should not look like a Camaro. It's no longer 1970. I want an interior that fits in with current times.

Would a modern designed interior fit in a decidedly retro looking vehicle?

I've actually come to accept the interior.. I think nicer door skins would be a relatively inexpensive fix but other than that, it is what it is and it'll do.

As others have mentioned, its not tuned to be the most direct feeling car on the road in these days of 1 and 3 series Bimmers, Mustangs, Mini Coopers, Miata, 370z etc.

So it won't be a car I would buy but for people whom that is not a top priority its very solid.

I think the interior is a let down, the Camaro looks great on the outside, has power and speed, but they blew it on the interior. It is too monotone, and looks cheap, and I am not a fan of the retro look. The 2010 Mustang, Genesis Coupe, and 370Z interiors are better. When you see the Camaro in person it looks big, and wide, and we know it is heavy. If they made it a little smaller (Mustang size) it would looks sportier I think and put it closer to the Genesis and 370Z also. But at least it isn't a full size like the Challenger which is way too big, and way too retro.

I think the interior is a let down, the Camaro looks great on the outside, has power and speed, but they blew it on the interior. It is too monotone, and looks cheap, and I am not a fan of the retro look. The 2010 Mustang, Genesis Coupe, and 370Z interiors are better. When you see the Camaro in person it looks big, and wide, and we know it is heavy. If they made it a little smaller (Mustang size) it would looks sportier I think and put it closer to the Genesis and 370Z also. But at least it isn't a full size like the Challenger which is way too big, and way too retro.

The Camaro is 2 inches longer and 2 inches wider than a Mustang, the Nissan is a 2 seater, and the Genesis can't take a V8. The Camaro weighs just 200lbs more than a roughly equal powered Mustang GT (but the Camaro has DOHC... so it wins :P ) and 100lbs more than an Infiniti G37 Coupe.

The Camaro is 2 inches longer and 2 inches wider than a Mustang, the Nissan is a 2 seater, and the Genesis can't take a V8. The Camaro weighs just 200lbs more than a roughly equal powered Mustang GT (but the Camaro has DOHC... so it wins :P ) and 100lbs more than an Infiniti G37 Coupe.

It could be the styling, because the Camaro looks bigger than the GTO to me, but they are about the same size. 190 inches long is pushing it for a 2 door though, that's nearly as big as a CTS, I still think they could have gone a little smaller. The V6 Mustang is around 3400 pounds and will have 315 hp next year, so that 200 lb gap for equal power will become 400 pounds which is a lot. Although the Camaro has independent rear suspension which gives it a big advantage over the live axle Mustang.

Interior styling is subjective, but I'd much rather have an interior that feels special like the Camaro's or even the Mustang's than the Challenger's which looks like it came from any other Chrysler product...it doesn't feel special.

I'd take the same position on the interior.

I get what Chazman is after, and why.

In fact, I would have been happier with a new Chevelle on Zeta and an Alpha Camaro.

But the Camaro is still a major achievement during some otherwise dark days. And it can righfully claim "best Camaro yet" without reservations.

I'd take the same position on the interior.

I get what Chazman is after, and why.

In fact, I would have been happier with a new Chevelle on Zeta and an Alpha Camaro.

But the Camaro is still a major achievement during some otherwise dark days. And it can righfully claim "best Camaro yet" without reservations.

I agree that the 10 Camaro is the best we have ever had.

Thew first gen was basic at best, nice but basic.

2rd gen was nicely styled but very cheap. I should really cheap.

The 3rd gen was not all that great of an interior either. I just loved the years with the duel speedo needles and the one with the free standing swivel radio in the Berreta option.

The 4th gen was the most luxurious we have had till now cheap but looked good.

The 5th gen tried to do modern retro a very tough thing to do with air bags and other things while trying to keep the price down.

Scott Settlemire has pointed out in the past the interior of the Camaro has paid the price to permit the better engines and suspension over the years. Money was limited and the cuts always went inside. They tired to not over look the interior in the 5th gen but again they did have limits on what they could offer and keep a low price point.

I judged a national Camaro event a couple weeks ago and I think it was my 8th year. I have looked in just about any and every kind of Camaro from ZL1 to even a 4th gen 4 cylinder. I can tell you I was no fan of the present one but after spending time with all of them in one day it fits in fine. Would I like to change a few things...yes as would the Camaro team would still make some changes.

The bottom line is styling is subjective and quality at this price point is narrow. I think with what they had to work with and keeping the price down they did fine. At least they did not just try to pass off a Monaro dash off as a Camaro. It could have been much easier and cheaper but the most wrong thing they could have done.

Edited by hyperv6

If the Camaro stayed the same size relative to the average sedan on the road, you'd be looking at "Camaro - Imported by SMART".

I think the Camaro is best if it remains true to itself instead of worrying about how big the current Deville is.

How do you define "true to itself"?

I believe that, honestly, the Mustang has stayed "truer" to itself more consistently than the F-bodies did. '71-'78 were not exactly the "truest" years for Mustang, first erring on the fat side, then going too far the other way in '74-'78, but the Fox cars hit the right note once again, with clean styling that made a complete break from the past. This new car is the best Mustang ever, imo, with real Mustang style and affordability.

The F-bodies, I think most of us can agree, were best between '67-'69 as far as "overall package" is concerned. Yes... the '70.5-'73 were beauties, but they were a different type of car than the early ones, and unfortunately for GM, every F-body since the '70.5 was an evolution of that basic layout... legs straight out in front of you, with a vestigial backseat.

The new Camaro changes that, corrects it, and moves it back to something more like '67-'69. For that reason alone, plus what you get in the least expensive Camaro you can buy in 2010, this new car is the best Camaro ever built, hands down.

Edited by ocnblu

The 6th gen is already in the works......

Well I really doubt it, if that car EVER see the light of day! With CAFE standards I do NOT know how they can do it. If it happens it will be a 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder only car save for an UBER expensive small V8 in maybe the upper level SS or Z28. This car as we know it will be one of the last true muscle car, this will be the biggest V8 (6.2L) ever stuffed in a Camaro from here on out and I want one of those. Not some small watered down six cylinder 370Z wanna-be.

Edited by gm4life

Yeah 3.6L could be better too - I just added the LNF in the mix because it has been already proved to be race worthy and its tuning possibilities are limitless. I can see the car being close to 3,000 lb if Kappa could. The car need not be bigger than the Kappa, but you are right 3,200 - 3,300 lb would be more realistic.

And if this is the 6th generation they are talking about it will not be the car for me. That is why I plan on getting a 5th generation SS, I can safely say the 6.2L V8 will be the biggest V8 put in any Camaro from the here on out. Smaller is good but that also means no V8 save maybe for a 45-50K Z28 model prolly won't happen and that is really going to suck. I don't care how small it is, or how nice the interior is or even how nice it looks I want a REAL BIG MOTOR. The 6.2L is that motor. When I know they were stuffing 6.2L 376ci. V8's in Camaro's in 2015 for the last year of the 5th generation and the biggest motor they have for the 6th generation is an uber expensive 5.0L V8 model, that I won't be able to afford. All I will be able to afford are the sissy 4 banger and six models. Anyone else think a 4 banger Camaro is wrong? Or even not having an affordable 8 cylinder motor? Or making the 6 cylinder what the current SS is now, wrong? To me it is, part of what appeals to me is that fact it is more of hybrid between a muscle car and a pony car, and it is not strictly a smaller Mustang.

Thats why the 5th generation is the car for me... It is the largest motor put in a Camaro cubic inches wise since 1973/1974-ish which was the 396ci. as I recall. Since then up until the end of the F-body in 2002 the 5.7L was the biggest. Another reason why this is my car, well it will either be mine or my sons. Rest assured one of us with have one in the family. As I have my eye on the new LaCrosse and one Ford product if I do a sedan. I might end up with the next generation Impala or even a Malibu due to the pricing on the Buick. I would like to stay solely with GM because of the luck I have had with them, the excellent new product and my EXCELLENT dealer. The whole government ownership gave me pause, and got me thinking about Ford again and found out what a great car the new Taurus is. If the new Impala is as great as I hope that could very well be next sedan.

So do I know for sure what my next car will be? No, but if my son is done with school he prolly will jump on a Camaro. That means I won't have to get one and can go after some "practical" car. The SLE isn't going anywhere either staying with me or with my son. He wants the Bonneville and a Camaro as his two classics. The year of Bonneville and the only year with the SLE has GXP styling and a true RWD V8 powered muscle car for good measure.

I do know this the new Camaro is the car for me. The Mustang is too small and the Challenger although cool doesn't trip my trigger!

Edited by gm4life

Would a modern designed interior fit in a decidedly retro looking vehicle?

Modern materials would...look at the '10 Mustang interior--retro touches but w/ modern features (Sync, etc) and very nice materials overall... I've sat in both, and the Camaro interior feels cheap, materials-wise. Too many hard plastics and cheap feeling switchgear...would be ok in an Aveo or Cobalt but not in a $35k car, IMHO.

The biggest problem I found w/ the Camaro is the outward visibility...felt like being in a gray bunker trying to peer out. :( Still want to drive one, though.

I love the exterior of the car...the fantastic proportions, the surface detailing of the sides and the upper surfaces...only thing I might have done differently would be a taller windshield and side windows...

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Well I really doubt it, if that car EVER see the light of day! With CAFE standards I do NOT know how they can do it. If it happens it will be a 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder only car save for an UBER expensive small V8 in maybe the upper level SS or Z28. This car as we know it will be one of the last true muscle car, this will be the biggest V8 (6.2L) ever stuffed in a Camaro from here on out and I want one of those. Not some small watered down six cylinder 370Z wanna-be.

The 6th gen will be smaller and lighter for sure. But it's not a foregone conclusion that it won't have a V8. In fact, it's not even a foregone conclusion that it won't have a 6.2L V8.

The 6th gen will be smaller and lighter for sure. But it's not a foregone conclusion that it won't have a V8. In fact, it's not even a foregone conclusion that it won't have a 6.2L V8.

I am not betting on it with CAFE. I have looked at it and there is no WAY. A V8 might be around but it will be a range topping 50K Z28 and bet it won't be as big as the 6.2L due to the smaller size. I keep saying for my son and I the 5th generation SS is the car for us.